666f528c81be7

666f528c821ae
1 Guest is here.

Topic: It's interesting to me
Page: « 1 ... 61 [62] 63 »
Read 88653 times  

666f528c82abaicemann

666f528c82b1d
Fallout 4 is a mixed bag. The combat is great, the world is quite large and there's heaps of content. On the other hand a lot of the RPG stuff was removed such as:
* Actual choices in conversations
* Stats and skills giving additional conversation options
* Skill System
* Ability to play how you want, and be the type of character that you want to be. Good, neutral or bad.

For a far superior Fallout experience I'd recommend New Vegas preferably with the 3 fan made expansions + Tale of Two Wastelands mod to combine the game with Fallout 3. Far better experience of the wasteland.
Plus lots more.

666f528c82c71voodoo47

666f528c82ce9
so I've watched a (new) FO4 playthrough for a bit;

-yes, all the annoyances are still there, Bethesda don't care
-people who just do not save are not exclusive to the SS2 environment
-the ability to continuously ignore all attempts of the game to teach the player how to work the mechanics is not rare

not getting into that anytime soon.
666f528c82ebc
Apparently MS is gradually introducing a "service" called 'Recall'. What it does is taking a screenshot of your screen every 5 seconds, store it, index it and make it searchable via MS's AI 'Copilot'.

Sounds like a great idea, right?!

666f528c82f5evoodoo47

666f528c82fb4
eeeh I've already been using linux for everything but forums, games and Dark Engine modding. so, whatever?
666f528c830f9
Switching to something Linux- or Unix-based is probably becoming unavoidable at some point in the very near future. Having some prior experience, I feel no enthusiasm for it whatsoever, no matter how usable it became. Sure has its pros but the days of me actually wanting to tinker and learn OS-related stuff are long gone. I just want it to do its job with minimum hassle and without betraying me.

Also: RIP Kabuso!
« Last Edit: 24. May 2024, 17:35:41 by fox »

666f528c8320dNameless Voice

666f528c8325a
Giving Microsoft a complete history of everything you do on your computer? That couldn't possibly be abused for fraud, blackmail, or large-scale population suppression.

666f528c83345ZylonBane

666f528c83393
"Recall" is that you do to things that are defective.
Acknowledged by: Nameless Voice

666f528c83446icemann

666f528c83494
Couldn't possibly be used for ransomware style stuff. Right? Right?

Whoever came up with that stupendously idiotic idea has too much time on their hands. Another reason not to "upgrade" to Windows 11.

666f528c837b2sarge945

666f528c83819
Bethesda games are overall getting less unstable, which is good, but the overall quality of the rest of their work has absolutely plummeted.

Starfield was a total wet fart and I don't think Bethesda can recover from it.
666f528c839d4
I've not played it but it can't be worse than Oblivion and Skyrim...can it? Those games are blandness personified. Blows my mind they're so popular. The content gets stale and you notice the mindless repetition FAST, balance gone to shit in no time at all, the only soul in the entire games come from Jeremy Soule.

666f528c83a7bicemann

666f528c83ac7
Trump found guilty on 34 counts of paying hush money to Stormy Daniels. Will he go to jail? My money is on a big no.
666f528c83f38
Another reason not to "upgrade" to Windows 11.

Since Windows 7 (by far the best Windows version, if you ask me) was dropped by MS in favour of Windows 8, I have always intended to see about changing to Linux. But laziness, age (I'm no longer as fascinated and keen to learn abut computers as I used to be), and the fact that I need to be very familiar with Windows (I work in I.T. support) have always kept me with Windows.

But Windows 11 might well the over-bloated, personal-data stealing, every software update threatens to knock out a different software function or hardware peripheral, "Your PC and laptop now belong to us [Microsoft], and not you", blending the line between malware and an operating system, anti-consumer Microsoft OS that makes me finally look into, and probably make the switch to, a good and not too technical version of a desktop Linus version.

If someone has put together a desktop version of Linux that functions like, and is controlled like, Windows, and makes running Windows games easy and reliable, then I'd be interested to hear of it. I have read that most Windows games can be made to run well on Linus now, but I can't remember where I read that, can anyone on here summarize the situation, please?
Acknowledged by: fox

666f528c8407bvoodoo47

666f528c840cd
my general experience is that full switch to linux in nigh impossible, as there is always that one thing™ that just doesn't work.

Xubuntu on my secondary machine (a thin client converted by a few nonstandard parts, because why would I be running a normal computer if I can do something not intended by anyone), it does what I want it to do, all I had to do is rearrange the desktop panels to get windows-like functionality (start button bottom left, tray bottom right). didn't bother with skins, I don't mind it not looking like windows.

the thin client is tiny, completely silent and eats almost no juice, and I can switch between the computers just by pressing a button on my monitor. I don't mind doing this 'till kingdom come.
Acknowledged by: fox
666f528c84404
Trump found guilty on 34 counts of paying hush money to Stormy Daniels. Will he go to jail? My money is on a big no.
Or will he go to jail and get elected anyway? Now that would be something. I don't think that this will happen but apparently it would be possible according to US law.
« Last Edit: 31. May 2024, 16:12:46 by fox »
Acknowledged by: icemann
666f528c845fd
Black Lotus Labs (owned by Lumen Technologies, a Windstream-competitor): The Pumpkin Eclipse
Lumen Technologies’ Black Lotus Labs identified a destructive event, as over 600,000 small office/home office (SOHO) routers were taken offline belonging to a single internet service provider (ISP). The incident took place over a 72-hour period between October 25-27, rendered the infected devices permanently inoperable, and required a hardware-based replacement. Public scan data confirmed the sudden and precipitous removal of 49% of all modems from the impacted ISP’s autonomous system number (ASN) during this time period.

600.000 destroyed routers in 72h and the ISP in question, Windstream, isn't commenting on it - at all.
« Last Edit: 01. June 2024, 15:25:15 by fox »
666f528c847b3
I really can't see Trump spending even one minute in prison. He's a life-long criminal and conman, he's even been found guilty of rape, incited an insurrection, and stolen military nuclear secrets (and has probably sold/given US military secrets to enemies of the US, resulting in the deaths of many US agents abroad) yet he's still free and allowed to roam about as he wishes. The traitors who he incited to try to overthrow democracy are locked in prison, whilst Trump himself plays golf and lives in luxury.

Trump is just one more example, albeit a phenomenally overblown and unique example, of how the law treats people according to their wealth, power, and influence.

666f528c8487bvoodoo47

666f528c848ce
one of the things I really like about this forum is that there is pretty much no politics.
666f528c84af0
Regarding Linux, if nothing else, I might end up dual-booting Linux and Windows 10. I never play video games online, so if I keep Windows 10 offline, then I can play all of my Window games (and offline Windows programs) without problems, And for anything involving the internet, I can safely use Linux.

Or, given how unpopular Windows 11 is, then perhaps some talented Windows 10 users can come up with a safe and easy way to keep Windows 10 secure when Microsoft abandons it, so we can just stick with the lesser rubbish of the two Windows versions. And yes, I know that I used the word's 'secure' and 'Microsoft' in the same sentence.

Or I might bite the bullet and read up on how best to use a purely Linux solution. I don't even know which of the four zillion Linux versions to use yet, but no doubt some people have put together a few that mimic the Windows experience (minus the data-mining, updates that stop your hardware from working, and the way Windows seemingly alters it's own settings at random) to ease the user's migration from Windows to Linux. And yes, even at the most optimistic, there will still be some Windows programs that won't work well on Linux, but  I don't tend to use unusual programs, just a web browser (Brave, at the moment), office software (Libre Office is fine), a stack of third party programs that compensate for Windows' lack of decent functions, a relatively simple graphical editor, a music player, a video player, etc.

I doubt any of this stuff is lacking in the Linux world. As long as my games (most of which are not open source, of course) can be made to run under Linux (which is allegedly the case now), then moving to Linux should be very rewarding.
666f528c84e64
one of the things I really like about this forum is that there is pretty much no politics.

Is that a subtle hint that we should stay away from the subject of politics?  :thinking:

You are right though, political discussions often turn nasty, and never result in anyone involved changing their own viewpoints. So let's leave Trump and other political stuff out of this forum. Until SHOWDAN takes over the world, then politics will be a relevant subject here again.

Though not for long, if Microsoft created her. Then we'd have no worries, because SHODAN won't even be able to copy a file without blues-screening and allowing for a simple hack that would allow a white hat hacker to gain full access and control over the formerly evil A.I.

666f528c8509aNameless Voice

666f528c850ea
If you want to use a Linux that acts a lot of like Windows, with a similar (but better in some ways) UI, then you should use Linux Mint.  Get the version with the Cinnamon desktop.

It's great for anything non-game-related.  I've been using it at work for years.

Sadly, Linux has issues with gaming, and especially with game development (still no proper launcher/installer/Marketplace for Unreal Engine on Linux), so I've never been able to use it full time for my own PC.

666f528c853d2icemann

666f528c85424
Is that a subtle hint that we should stay away from the subject of politics?  :thinking:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what he meant was that we're all around the same level. No hard lefties or right aligned. More all somewhere around the middle. With the odd exception here and there.

OT: Anyone else notice Youtube has put back the "Ad blockers violate YouTube's Terms of Service" screens again? Annoying.

666f528c8550cvoodoo47

666f528c85566
this is a place where we go to so we can escape RL garbage, I would presume. so lets do that, perhaps.

not going to tell you what to do or not to do, but a recommendation, that I can give.

666f528c85637Nameless Voice

666f528c85683
Eh, I am. I just don't talk about it here.

Anyway, regarding YouTube, there's an arms race between Google and the people who work on ad blockeres.
Generally forcibly flushing / re-updating your uBO lists should fix that.  the uBO team work fast.

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

Name the AI that appears in both System Shock games:
1 Guest is here.
Please insert your credit card to see the next post in this thread.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
666f528c861b4