662ea0c2b0285

662ea0c2b086c
1 Guest is here.

Topic: [Obsolete] SS2 Raw Mouse Input mod Read 15784 times  

662ea0c2b116cAltimor

662ea0c2b1210
Tags: °obsolete

This mod has become obsolete since System Shock 2 with the New Dark engine 2.45+ (installable via SS2Tool) allows for raw mouse input.
See the documentation in Docs/New Dark/new_config_vars.txt.

Completely overrides the original mouse code to use raw input and better math. Also pimps out the sensitivity slider to have more notches and be more informative.

Extract to your SS2 directory and overwrite the original dll. Works with v2.4 and v2.43.
Set "mouse_sensitivity_y_scale" to 1.0 in user.bnd unless you want your y axis to be uneven, this fixes the inherent unevenness the original game had and no longer requires you to compensate with that variable.

MSVC++ 2013 32-bit redist (required)

Virustotal

sshock2_rawinput_src.zip contains source code only
« Last Edit: 08. October 2017, 19:31:13 by Moderator »

662ea0c2b1399Altimor

Re: SS2 Raw Mouse Input mod
662ea0c2b13f3
Wow I posted this in the wrong forum entirely, what the hell happened

EDIT: Oh, nevermind, didn't see the word "archive"

662ea0c2b15f4voodoo47

662ea0c2b1654
all new topics are redirected to recdeck unless you have uploader status. once the new mod is checked properly, it will be moved to the mods subforum again.

662ea0c2b1774OmegaDEATH

662ea0c2b17c6
Oh nice!! ty.
Definitely going to need this.

662ea0c2b186fAltimor

662ea0c2b18d1
Updated to fix mouse input being accumulated while paused

662ea0c2b1d12RocketMan

662ea0c2b1d6d
Hey!  Look!  It's a "Peek-a-boo" modder   :kekeke:

"Peek-a-boo, I see you!  (here's some awesome shit)"
"Where'd you come from?  Hey, where'd you go?"

EDIT:  I like your avatar btw.
« Last Edit: 23. October 2014, 15:42:57 by RocketMan »
662ea0c2b1f10
Thanks Altimor, sounds interesting. Will have a look when I get home. :)

662ea0c2b2008ZylonBane

662ea0c2b2054
How can this be?!?
662ea0c2b23b5
How can this be?!?

Clue: he may or may not be French in relation.

At least that's my vague guess. Careful, he's a "peekaboo" modder, and we don't want to scare him off. If you get me.
662ea0c2b258a
Throw an error about MSVCP120.dll for me (see screenshot). Some MS Visual C++ DLL I assume.
The game starts after that but the mouse sensitivity remains unchanged.

After installing Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013 (32bit) (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784) I got the old "Your video hardware is not supported by System Shock 2" error. Installing the 64 bit version gives me the MSVCP120.dll error again.

So I haven't been able to test this. Any advice on which runtime to install?

[MSVCP120.dll-error.gif expired]
662ea0c2b270c
Sounds great. I think I would use it just for the fancy slider. Is there a discernible difference in-game with the better math?

(Now all we need are two separate sliders for mouse-look and inventory mode... XD)

662ea0c2b2d65Altimor

662ea0c2b2dba
Throw an error about MSVCP120.dll for me (see screenshot). Some MS Visual C++ DLL I assume.
The game starts after that but the mouse sensitivity remains unchanged.

After installing Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013 (32bit) (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784) I got the old "Your video hardware is not supported by System Shock 2" error. Installing the 64 bit version gives me the MSVCP120.dll error again.

So I haven't been able to test this. Any advice on which runtime to install?

MSVC++2013 32bit is correct. The "video hardware" error happens when my DLL  causes an error while loading, which is most likely happening because you have an incompatible Shock2.exe. Use the new version I uploaded and if that's the case it should pop up a message box with "Signature scan failed."

The new version also has support for mouse_sensitivity_y_scale (make sure to set this to 1.0 if you want your axes to be even) and mouse_invert.

Sounds great. I think I would use it just for the fancy slider. Is there a discernible difference in-game with the better math?

(Now all we need are two separate sliders for mouse-look and inventory mode... XD)

Yes, in-game sensitivity is no longer reliant on your Windows sensitivity and mouse accel, and turning is the same on both axes regardless of resolution. The lack of reliance on Windows settings will eliminate bugs that occurred if you didn't have your Windows sens set to the 6th notch or had mouse accel on.
« Last Edit: 23. October 2014, 23:49:48 by Altimor »

662ea0c2b2e83OmegaDEATH

662ea0c2b2ed2
That really gets rid of alot of errors that plague me with my augshock head tracking.

662ea0c2b2ffdicemann

662ea0c2b305e
Altimor: To remove the need for people to install the Visual C++ Redistributable, you can build the MSVC into it. Check your build options in MS Visual Studio.

662ea0c2b32b4Altimor

662ea0c2b3305
Altimor: To remove the need for people to install the Visual C++ Redistributable, you can build the MSVC into it. Check your build options in MS Visual Studio.

I see no reason to bloat my releases with statically linked libs when the redists are already very common and will only become more common.
662ea0c2b3486
It would really be helpful if you can at least include a link to the official download for the redistributable that you're using in the documentation.  I know from painful experience that Microsoft have changed redists via a service pack which can mean that the version you're building on a development machine may be out of step with what people "think" they have installed.
662ea0c2b39f0
MSVC++2013 32bit is correct. The "video hardware" error happens when my DLL  causes an error while loading, which is most likely happening because you have an incompatible Shock2.exe. Use the new version I uploaded and if that's the case it should pop up a message box with "Signature scan failed."

Will check this tonight. How does the signature scan work, ie which version(s) does it accept? The one I'm using is from NewDark 2.43.

EDIT: Says "Signature scan failed".

By the way, I understand your point about not wanting to bloat your release with statically linked libraries. I know it's a legitimate point of pride to write compact code.
But since everyone has high speed internet and huge HDs these days, it is in my opinion way more more important that shit works and people don't have to hunt after some runtime as I did, than shaving off those few megabytes. Just saying.
« Last Edit: 24. October 2014, 16:28:51 by Kolya »
Acknowledged by: Join usss!

662ea0c2b3da6Altimor

662ea0c2b3df9
Will check this tonight. How does the signature scan work, ie which version(s) does it accept? The one I'm using is from NewDark 2.43.

EDIT: Says "Signature scan failed".

By the way, I understand your point about not wanting to bloat your release with statically linked libraries. I know it's a legitimate point of pride to write compact code.
But since everyone has high speed internet and huge HDs these days, it is in my opinion way more more important that shit works and people don't have to hunt after some runtime as I did, than shaving off those few megabytes. Just saying.

I'd distribute the libraries if they weren't for the most popular C++ compiler in the world. People should really just download the redists.

Could you upload your Shock2.exe?

662ea0c2b3f1aRocketMan

662ea0c2b3f67
As long as it's clear, whatever you do is fine, IMO.  To that end, because there is a broad spectrum of users, some who could probably duplicate your mod, some who don't know how to change their screensaver, there should, at a minimum, be clear instructions with links to cover all the bases, so if a person has X version of SS2, click here, download that, install, copy this, etc., etc.  A little install guide or readme, if you will.  I had errors as well trying to use this the first time but my errors were different than Kolya's so I probably am missing something else.  I'm what you might call a medium computer literate user and I couldn't fix it so if you can put instructions that'd be great :thumb:

662ea0c2b3fefAltimor

662ea0c2b404a
What errors?
662ea0c2b4386
Could you upload your Shock2.exe?

Here you go. Straight from NewDark v2.43. This is what the majority should be using as it's distributed via SS2Tool (5.2 as well as beta6).
[Shock2.exe expired]

662ea0c2b4417Altimor

662ea0c2b4463
Now works on v2.43
662ea0c2b4530
Confirmed.

662ea0c2b45f2voodoo47

662ea0c2b4644
just a note - in the long run, checks that prevent things from launching are a bad idea.
Acknowledged by: Kolya
1 Guest is here.
Bae > Bay
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
662ea0c2b5825