6636d7181bc45

6636d7181c296
1 Guest is here.

6636d7181ca80
Hello,
I know nobody plays on a mac here and that problems with this way of playing are hard to find, but I want at least try, who knows.

I use the Mac OS X version of GOG SS2 and modded it according to the newbie modding guide. The game runs almost perfect, except one graphical glitch I encounter sometimes and which I cannot reproduce. Sometimes the inventory and message screen looks like this (see attached image).

I tried to figure out if the root of the problem is in one of the mods by disabling them step by step, but this does not seem to be the problem. I can't reproduce the behaviour. For example If I save a game where I encountered it, then quit the game and reload the save, the behaviour is suddenly gone but might appear somewhere else.

Any ideas what I could do to track it down?

Cheers
[dump000.png expired]
« Last Edit: 11. July 2015, 22:37:27 by Kolya »
Acknowledged by: ThiefsieFool
6636d7181ce5a
Does it only affect the inventory?
Once the error emerged, does it stay forever or is reloading the only way to get it away?
What happens when you open other menus like the PSI interface, the logs and so on?
Can you still click the items inside the inventory? (Even without seeing them, just clicking where an item should be should give off some sound).

I don't have a mac and I have never seen this error in SS2 before. My first guess would be that something is limiting the number of 2D objects which can be drawn, and therefore the inventory and everything which follows doesn't get drawn anymore.
Maybe update the video card driver? And what is used to play this on a mac? Some Windows emulation?
It could also be some memory error where the graphics can't be accessed anymore. I currently have no idea what to do in that case.
6636d7181cff0
it happens with the other two HUD elements too (see screenshots). It's only the graphics, I can still use inventory items and click on messages, etc.

But I found something else. I started a new game once with a plain install (as it came from GOG) and another new game with only SS2tool applied. I could not reproduce the problem in these two cases.

With the modded version the problem appears after a few minutes of gameplay. Maybe it's some heat issue ... which of the mods (according to newbie guide) could most likely be responsible?

The emulation is done via wineskin (a wrapper for wine)

thanks for help so far
[dump001.png expired]
[dump002.png expired]
« Last Edit: 11. July 2015, 22:37:42 by Kolya »
6636d7181d104
I see.

Try increasing the virtual RAM in wine.

The mods who would have the biggest effect of using up memory are probably SHTUP and 400.
6636d7181d215
Hmm, ok, I'll try. I have an integrated video card (Intel HD Graphics 5000) and it uses 1.5GB of VRAM of my 8GB of RAM total. Does this sound too little? I think wineskin is able to use all of it...
6636d7181d314
1.5GB should be enough, but I am pretty sure wineskin isn't able to use all of it, you still need something for your OS.
Wild guess here is that it's limited to 500MB. With all the mods it might break the limit.
« Last Edit: 11. July 2015, 23:14:26 by Olfred »

6636d7181d44cvoodoo47

6636d7181d497
99% that intel is causing this. you are running the latest version (2.44), right? I think we've seen this problem in the first or second release, but it hasn't been reported since.

does closing and opening the inventory fix it or do you need to restart the game?
6636d7181d5d1
Somewhere on the GOG site it's mentioned that Intel integrated graphics are not officially supported.

Yes, I run 2.44 and opening and closing the inventory sometimes fixes it. To me it seems that I have to change location in the game, i.e. walk around, change the view, etc. then sometimes it's gone. But even if I don't do anything at all ... it comes and goes.

But it never happened to an unmodded version and never on windows.

6636d7181d730ZylonBane

6636d7181d77e
I assume you aren't running in either of the extra high bit depth modes, and have tried running in DX6 mode.
6636d7181d90a
Had the same issue on my Mac`s and it was persistent, I found this solution in the game troubleshooting guide, worked perfectly, just need to edit the cam_ext.cfg file;

Problem:
    A HUD item suddenly turns white.
Solution:
    * Go back and forth once between menu and game (i.e. press ESC twice).
      A slight inconvenience but this way the benefits of HW 2D rendering,
      such as HUD scaling and increased performance, are preserved.
    * Disable HW 2D overlay/HUD with "d3d_disp_2d_surf_mode 0".

Q-6

6636d7181da17voodoo47

6636d7181da68
yeah, that will probably help, but it (as mentioned) might reduce performance, and you won't be able to enable hud scaling. anyway, just to clarify, to disable 2D overlay hw rendering, you need to add
Code: [Select]
d3d_disp_2d_surf_mode 0to your cam_ext.cfg (any empty line will do).
6636d7181dbd3
Thank you all! The problem seems to be gone. BUT ... it seems I'm still able to use HUD scaling

My native resolution is 1440x900 and I use

d3d_disp_scaled_2d_overlay 1024 768
in cam_ext.cfg. And my HUD is bigger than without the setting. I know with this method it's not pixelperfect but that's impossible anyway because vertical resolution is below 960 (if i understood the comment correct in the cfg file)
« Last Edit: 12. July 2015, 19:48:10 by rccc »

6636d7181dc7fvoodoo47

6636d7181dccd
well, that's not something one should be complaining about, now is it.
6636d7181e079
well, that's not something one should be complaining about, now is it.

not at all, i just wanted to mention that HUD scaling still works this way.
Acknowledged by: voodoo47
6636d7181e3a5
yeah, that will probably help, but it (as mentioned) might reduce performance, and you won't be able to enable hud scaling. anyway, just to clarify, to disable 2D overlay hw rendering, you need to add
d3d_disp_2d_surf_mode 0to your cam_ext.cfg (any empty line will do).

True, however for my set up (3 Mac`s) once the HUD switched to white it just stayed that way, so not too many options. Have all set to 1440x900 on Retina display`s and clearly  don't scale the HUD. Performance so far is ok, given 2 out of 3 are on Intel graphics only.

Q-6
1 Guest is here.
We are not seeking to escalate the situation. But we need to respond.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6636d7181f4a5