6622bca0ccc1a

6622bca0cd200
1 Guest is here.

6622bca0cde24voodoo47

6622bca0cdeb3
I'm happy to confirm that the rumors about an upcoming GOG release of the original System Shock are indeed true, and you can now purchase System Shock Enhanced Edition on GOG. This is the CD version of the game, now running through a custom windows loader that has been created by Malba Tahan - basically, enhancing and incorporating his already released mods like SHLINK and the mouselook/hires mod into one complete package, featuring;

- the game runs natively under windows, no (slow) dosbox emulation
- toggle able mouselook mode (smart, auto-disables itself when the player is interacting with objects)
- higher resolution support, up to 1024*768 (able to set custom ones as well, even widescreen)
- windowed mode
- scaling smoothing/filtering
- remappable keys
- no resolution changing when entering full map
- resolution and other settings now stored outside the savegames, eliminating the need to always set them anew once a game is started
- storing the settings externally also allows the log audio to be enabled by default
- can make screenshots by hitting printscreen (stored in \res\gen)
- couple of fixes to scaling, brightness and onscreen text

This is pretty much as good as it gets without a source port or an engine clone - I have to say that I'm quite impressed what a little cooperation between the IP owners and the community can accomplish. That reminds me, the Night Dive team says hello, and thanks everyone for all the support and mods - and as a token of appreciation, five free keys have been provided, first five (registered) users posting here (asking for a key) will receive one via pm. //keys are now gone.

So, what are you waiting for? The smoothest Citadel ever awaits.
« Last Edit: 22. September 2015, 07:48:23 by voodoo47 »
Acknowledged by: lgs

6622bca0cdff8Rubyconna

Acknowledged by: voodoo47

6622bca0ce14eredrain85

6622bca0ce239Patorl1985

6622bca0ce283
I'd like to request a key as well :)
6622bca0ce3f1
Weeee! Can i have one please?

6622bca0ce49flerenwe

6622bca0ce4e9
I'd love to have a key, and also, a huuuuge thanks to Malba Tahan, I've been waiting for this windows port to be completed for years, so happy to see it done =)

6622bca0ce71cSystem Shocked

6622bca0ce777
Can I have a key please !

EDIT:     CRAP !

6622bca0ce843lerenwe

6622bca0ce896
I can't believe it, I checked Malba Tahan's post like, two days ago, and I was still sad to see music wasn't implemented. This has to be one of the greatest day I've ever lived ^^

PS: Sorry for the last key, guys =/

6622bca0ce98dSkizomeuh

6622bca0cea76
I'm sooo reassured SSP people, who have generously dedicated so much for the purest gem through all these years, are somewhat involved in this Enhanced Edition, and that Night Dive played it so nicely. Was afraid of Night Dive ripping off your work and brutally send cease and desist.

Now, time to go to GOG buy this masterpiece once again 21 years later...

6622bca0ceb28JackTheHacker

6622bca0ceb76
Worth mentioning that it's 40% off if you have System Shock 2 on GOG.
6622bca0cecee
Welp. I'm going to have to get this now.

The question I have is does Nightdive have the full rights to the franchise, or just digital distribution rights?

6622bca0cedcbvoodoo47

6622bca0cee17
Yes, the SSP takedown request has mentioned that Night Dive Studios has acquired all rights to the System Shock franchise, so star insurance should finally be out of the game.

with one company owning the IP, I'm officially moving System Shock3 from the realm of "impossible", into "very unlikely" land.
6622bca0cef1b
Is it terrible I'm happy that Everything is out of EA's hands purely so we don't have some shitty mobile game?

Any idea what Night Dive's stance on fan projects is?
6622bca0cf070
Great news!...Just picked it up for $5.99... 8)
6622bca0cf189
So Night Dive is actually working with the people behind the patches and acknowledging their work. There is still some justice in the world after all.

The question now is, will they release the source code for System Shock 2's Dark Engine version so that more people will be able to do something with it?
6622bca0cf279
So, now they have the rights can more...liberal modding be done? And does this version have background music?

6622bca0cf35avoodoo47

6622bca0cf3a4
yes, the EE edition has everything (except the french and german voiveovers, it seems //this is fixed now). no idea what do you mean by liberal modding though.

the situation with the source code is not as simple, but lets say the will to move things into the right direction is definitely there.
« Last Edit: 03. October 2015, 09:39:22 by voodoo47 »
6622bca0cf81d
Is there a way to use the german and french voiceovers if one has them from the original game or from SSP? Bit disappointing that they only included english.

EDIT: Nevermind. Seems like it is easily doable. And the original CD release that is also available if you purchase the GOG version seems to include the files as well.

http://www.gog.com/forum/system_shock_series/german_files
« Last Edit: 22. September 2015, 13:36:51 by NoMis »
6622bca0cfc1c
So NightDive apparently does not want to ruin everything, who would have thought. 5 keys is really cheap of them, though.

To everyone who already bought it: How does the sound and music support work? As crappy as the original runs in DosBox, being able to use munt or setting one's own midi table is far better than the modern Microsoft General Midi standard one.

« Last Edit: 22. September 2015, 14:47:57 by Marvin »

6622bca0cff9cZylonBane

6622bca0cfff5
As crappy as the original runs in DosBox, being able to use munt or setting one's own midi table is far better than the modern Microsoft General Midi standard.
The General MIDI standard was developed by the MIDI Manufacturers Association, not Microsoft.
6622bca0d0110
Voodoo, I'm referring to a couple of tries to rebuild SS in a different engine like Black Mesa for Half Life, that were sent C&D letters by EA.
6622bca0d02ef
Just bought it, and haven't rebooted into Windows to try it out yet, but I notice there are two versions: "Enhanced" and "Classic." The latter has a substantially larger install size. Anyone know what's up with that?

Image: http://i.imgur.com/D5YObpP.png
1 Guest is here.
I want to be a digital nomad. What skills do I need?
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6622bca0d1666