665c9cb15a38c

665c9cb15af4a
2 Guests are here.

Topic: Vurt's Organics Mod Troubles Read 1879 times  

665c9cb15b5bcQuindorrian

665c9cb15b632
Hey all!  Me again, looking for some help (sorry I'm such a newb).  I am trying to install the mods for impact goo, blood, eggs, etc... but I seem to be doing something wrong?  When I unzip these and put them in the DMM folder, Blue Mod Manager doesn't recognize them as mods.  I checked the posting for these mods, but can't seem to find what I am doing wrong.  Anyone able to help with this?  Thanks so much for any and all help!
665c9cb15ba58
Did you put all of them in one folder and then copy them over or something? If so: Don't do that.
Each archive is a single mod which has to be activated like any other one. As always, keep the folder structure intact, meaning \DMM\name_of_mod\obj and so on.

665c9cb15bd0cQuindorrian

665c9cb15bd61
Did you put all of them in one folder and then copy them over or something? If so: Don't do that.
Each archive is a single mod which has to be activated like any other one. As always, keep the folder structure intact, meaning \DMM\name_of_mod\obj and so on.

Yeah, I left it in tact.  It's weird because they are just called things like "Obj" which isn't similar to the other mods.  Seems to be that I need to do something to this when I extract the folder... 

665c9cb15bed8voodoo47

665c9cb15bf2c
you need one more folder there - so you need to have \DMM\goo\obj to make it work, for example.

it quite easy, actually - any and all contents of a mod zip archive downloadable from this place need to be extracted into a separate folder, which then needs to be placed into the DMM folder. do that, and you can't go wrong (super easy under windows with 7zip, as you can just rightclick on the archive, select extract into XXX, and you just move the new XXX folder into DMM and you are done).
« Last Edit: 29. February 2016, 22:54:51 by voodoo47 »

665c9cb15c22fQuindorrian

665c9cb15c284
you need one more folder there - so you need to have \DMM\goo\obj to make it work, for example.

it quite easy, actually - any and all contents of a mod zip archive downloadable from this place need to be extracted into a separate folder, which then needs to be placed into the DMM folder. do that, and you can't go wrong.

As always, thanks for your help Voodoo!  This worked!  It's just weird, because this was the only mod that behaved this way for me.  All of the others, I just extracted and plopped in the DMM folder.  In any case - thanks!

665c9cb15c339voodoo47

665c9cb15c38e
it's not weird, as I was saying, any content of a mod archive needs to be placed into its own folder - even if the content itself is a folder.

665c9cb15c4a1ZylonBane

665c9cb15c4ed
BMM really should be capable of unpacking archives itself. Would save a lot of trouble.
Acknowledged by: Colonel SFF

665c9cb15c704Quindorrian

665c9cb15c775
it's not weird, as I was saying, any content of a mod archive needs to be placed into its own folder - even if the content itself is a folder.

I'm merely stating that the behavior of these mods on my system is different than all of the others I've installed so far.

665c9cb15c83fvoodoo47

665c9cb15c88d
well, you are on a mac, things are bound to be different.
665c9cb15d052
I'm merely stating that the behavior of these mods on my system is different than all of the others I've installed so far.
well, you are on a mac, things are bound to be different.

No. He's right, it's a bit confusing. When unpacking the Mods with 7zip the other mods usually placed into a folder that is called like the NAME.7z - zip file. For me also this was not the case with Vurts mods. So it's a bit confusing to newbies, when they are left with just a obj-folder.
So, yeah, solution is to just create a folder with the desired name, and of course what he said:
you need one more folder there - so you need to have \DMM\goo\obj to make it work, for example. [...]

Also you should really check out the link I gave you to the Linux Installation Guide that I linked to in your first topic. This was also mentioned there. (point 6.)
« Last Edit: 01. March 2016, 12:13:03 by Colonel SFF »
665c9cb15d219
7zip allows you to either unpack or unpack into a folder using the name of the archive.
As far as I can see there's nothing special about Vurt's mods that would cause this. Sounds more like a user error.

As for BMM being able to unpack archives, that just opens up a can of worms that Zombe's modmanager unscuccessfully tried to tackle before. The beauty of BMM is its simplicity.
And since 7zip can mass unpack archives into their own folders, I really don't see the need for BMM to take over that job.
665c9cb15d516
7zip allows you to either unpack or unpack into a folder using the name of the archive.
As far as I can see there's nothing special about Vurt's mods that would cause this. Sounds more like a user error.
[...]

I know what you mean. The order structure seems exactly the same inside the zip. Please feel free to try it out "Extract here" with something from Vurt and with for example "obj_400_SCP_1.01.7z".
I can reproduce this, that's why I wrote it down in the Linux Guide in the first place, since I thought it strange.
665c9cb15d674
You should never use Extract here but always Extract to "obj_400_SCP_1.01" where "obj_400_SCP_1.01" is the name of the current archive. All our mods should be packed that way. I have tried a few by Vurt and they were as well.  If you find any that are not, please post a notice in that thread.
[extract_to_xxx.png expired]
665c9cb15d7d5
The Newbie Guide should probably use the image from the BMM topic instead of "only" linking to it. Extracting to the wrong folder seems to be one of the most common mistakes here.
665c9cb15d8f7
I still don't get why "Extract here" works for every mod I encountered so far to create the folder, except for Vurts. I would think it's a bug, but someone more into the matter maybe knows something about settings when compressing that I don't know about.
665c9cb15da56
When you use "Extract here" with 7zip on the archive you just mentioned (obj_400_SCP_1.01.7z), it will just place all the files in the same location as the archive is in. If the archive is in the DMM folder the files will land in the DMM folder and it will not work.
The resulting structure needs to be:

DMM
 |_obj_400_SCP_1.01
       |_fam
       |_obj

"obj_400_SCP_1.01" here is the name of the mod that BMM will display.

665c9cb15db3evoodoo47

665c9cb15db90
yeah, as mentioned, "extract to" is what you should be using, and will always work. I have no idea how "extract here" can work  in some cases, as that will always dump the zip contents directly to the root folder (DMM).

but yeah, I suppose attaching the screenshot from K's previous post to the newbie guide is not a bad idea.

also note that obj_400_SCP_1.01 is actually not a mod, but a patch for a mod, it cannot be used as a standalone mod and should always be used to patch the ACC 400 mod.
665c9cb15dc63
I'd rather make a better screenshot...

665c9cb15dd0dvoodoo47

665c9cb15dd5e
by all means. also maybe choose a full mod as an example (SCP! SCP!).
665c9cb15de72
I'm way ahead of you. ;)

I'm just not sure if this doesn't blow up the newbie guide to much and if linking to these images at appropriate places wouldn't be better. I'll look into it.
[Extracting_One_Mod.png expired]
[Extracting_Multiple_Mods.png expired]

665c9cb15df0dvoodoo47

665c9cb15df65
one image should be ok, the first one, I'd say.
665c9cb15e344
When you use "Extract here" with 7zip on the archive you just mentioned (obj_400_SCP_1.01.7z), it will just place all the files in the same location as the archive is in. If the archive is in the DMM folder the files will land in the DMM folder and it will not work.
The resulting structure needs to be:

DMM
 |_obj_400_SCP_1.01
       |_fam
       |_obj

"obj_400_SCP_1.01" here is the name of the mod that BMM will display.
Yeah the 400 mod was a bad example by me. Still, and I really only repeat this for comprehensive reasons, Extraxt here will, with obj 400, make the exact same structure as you just listed above (in the quote). So what I'm saying is that Extract here will indeed make a new folder called "obj_400_SCP_1.01", but the same Extract here will not make a folder for vurts mods, that have the same structure inside the zipped file. I hope I was clear now and don't seem crazy.

665c9cb15e40bvoodoo47

665c9cb15e457
that definitely is not what's happening on my pc - when I choose extract here, the contents are just dumped into root (as they should when using extract here), no obj_400_SCP_1.01 folder is created.

one more reason to always use "extract to".
665c9cb15e8f1
that definitely is not what's happening on my pc - when I choose extract here, the contents are just dumped into root (as they should when using extract here), no obj_400_SCP_1.01 folder is created.

one more reason to always use "extract to".
I'll have to test this on a Windows machine later. This probably is a bug in the Nemo file manager (file roller) I'm using...
Hey Quindorrian, what did you exactly mean with this? Are you talking about the same thing with "Extract here"?
[...]It's just weird, because this was the only mod that behaved this way for me.  All of the others, I just extracted and plopped in the DMM folder.  In any case - thanks!
« Last Edit: 01. March 2016, 20:54:10 by Colonel SFF »
2 Guests are here.
I have a collection just like yours, all the most peculiar finds.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
665c9cb15f947