6622dcb6bc544

6622dcb6bcb05
1 Guest is here.

Topic: SS2 FM Blind Disposition v1.4.2 Read 19622 times  

6622dcb6bd5cfchuckles n chestnuts

6622dcb6bd62e
***Please note: If you downloaded 'Blind Disposition v1.4' on the 'Recreation Deck' Post, you need to download this one as it has been updated (see below version changes)***

********Blind Disposition v1.4.2 updates***********
-Fixed keycard slots properly displaying 'locked' position
-Minor fixes to some sound brushes and spawn triggers
-Made some very minor gameplay balances (adjusted item placement in some areas)
-fixed a conflicting off-map hollow brush with trigger trap entities in testnextlevel map that caused an environmental sound error
-Blind Disposition v1.4.2 download file is no longer 'pre-packaged' in one folder when unzipped (made very minor adjustement to the READ ME in the FM files to reflect this)

-v1.4.1 (some minor adjustments made)

********Blind Disposition v1.4.1 minor updates***********
-Adjusted some room brushes and made some very minor sound trap/trigger adjustments

********Blind Disposition v1.4 major updates*************
-All audio logs have proper pictures now as well as some containing more meaningful text in relation to player assistance
-Starting map has improved environmental color saturation as well as other minor changes (gives the atmosphere a more gritty-pollution look as intended)
-made ship intro cargo-bay area accessible from the start (along with some other changes)
-fixed scaling and placement on many objects (mainly trash cans)
-fixed hud interacting with objects that shouldn't be interacted with at all
-The 'good' robot in cargo bay will hold up longer and is now a stronger class bot
-BDGAC is replaced with something more fitting
-balanced many aspects of gameplay (some aspects are more difficult while others are more easy)
-Cameras are now searchable
-Quest PDA markers have been added for ALL essential (and some non-essential) objectives
-And a few surprises...

Enjoy!  :cyborg:

**********************Original Post Description Below********************************************

Hello, this is my first time posting and first day actually as a registered member of System Shock.org.  However I have been a fan of the System Shock universe for quite some time and have been dabbling in dromED for about the past 2 years or so.  In the attachment is my fan mission for System Shock 2 called 'Blind Disposition', the map took me a total of about 4 months to complete over the span of 2 years.  And I hope you enjoy it.  Below is the backstory for the mission also:

BLIND DISPOSITION

April 03, 2119, Earth...

5 years have passed since the incident that happened in the year of 2114 on the Von Braun and Rickenbacker and the government is still investigating the incident as well as researching annelid artifacts found during the incident.  Cybernetic implants have been legalized in some aspects of society such as for government and research personnel, and you happen to be one of those cybernetic enhanced researchers.
You are currently stationed on Earth in the Hydroponics Enrichment Facility for sustainable resources research and development (R&D) department and you are working alone as everyone else has left for a meeting and you stay behind to handle standard duties around the facility.  And all of a sudden your manager calls from the meeting and informs you to board a shuttle and take flight to the military research and exploration sub-ship classified as the UNN Rickenbacker-14500.

Your boss informs you its urgent as their department got notice from Corporate that the UNN based military ship had been doing experiments on some of the annelid hybrids and annelids themselves that were still under investigation from the Von Braun and Rickenbacker incident and they needed input from our department and you are the chosen representative.  Your manager informs you to check in at the docking bay front desk when you arrive and report to the R&D sector once you are cleared.  So without questioning the task at hand, you muster everything you can find around the facility for your journey that may prepare you (or not) and you board the shuttle for flight to the UNN Rickenbacker-14500....

« Last Edit: 13. May 2021, 02:39:32 by chuckles n chestnuts »
Acknowledged by: callum13117
Re: SS2 FM Blind Disposition
6622dcb6bd85d
Oh, new free Shock goodies. Sounds interesting, but I must ask about the gameplay, sim design etc: did you adhere to the standard vanilla design or have you tried something notably different or expansive, and if so can we have details? You've only given a plot synopsis. For example, how have you handled the design of the Rick? Copy-paste of vanilla Rick levels with tweaks, or exploration of entirely new areas of the ship, or?
Acknowledged by 2 members: Hikari, chuckles n chestnuts

6622dcb6bd99cchuckles n chestnuts

6622dcb6bd9eb
I tried to stick with what makes System Shock 2 shine..choices and making you think, however there are action elements in it.  Not sure what you mean by 'notably different' though, as far as groundbreaking, no, as far as something new, yes.  This is my first Mission for System Shock 2, and it took me along time to finish and I did the best I could at any rate.  And I hope you enjoy it if you opt to play it. 

As far as details goes, I put some elements in my game that I didn't see in vanilla, however there are no custom audio logs or anything like that (in fact there are no audio logs) but the game has 2 endings (with the standard ending cinematic though since that is the only way to 'end the game' but you'll see if you play it) and I have play tested it using different classes and it is  something new and challenging I think.  And I hope you'll like it.

No, I did no copy-pasting whatsoever all maps were made from scratch.
Acknowledged by: Join usss!

6622dcb6bdafcvoodoo47

6622dcb6bdb4a
now this is something we haven't seen in a while. be prepared - the FM will be played, dissected to the bone, and (very) honest feedback provided.
Acknowledged by 2 members: Hikari, chuckles n chestnuts

6622dcb6bdc64voodoo47

6622dcb6bdcbd
allright, first 15 minutes into the FM, here goes;

-pretty sure the maps were made with the oldDark editor. you really must like pain.
-the earth map is trying to load a non existent script module, allobj.osm. perhaps a typo?
-sound propagation and lighting problems here and there. not optimized?
-the security card (485, testnextlevel.mis) seem to be broken, it pops into the inventory and can't be used on the slots in any way (probably stopping player progress completely). lockid needs to be 0 to prevent this?
-no ambients, no music.
-no MFD goals.
-no audiologs? might not be a good idea in the SS2 universe.
-seems to be rather stealth oriented so far, maybe mention this in the readme.
-speaking of readme, do not encourage people to mess with their installs manually, please.

moving to Engineering, we'll be waiting for an update.
6622dcb6be1a4
now this is something we haven't seen in a while. be prepared - the FM will be played, dissected to the bone, and (very) honest feedback provided.
Would you say that your feedback is a... SHOCK to the SYSTEM?

6622dcb6be594chuckles n chestnuts

6622dcb6be5f4
allright, first 15 minutes into the FM, here goes;

-pretty sure the maps were made with the oldDark editor. you really must like pain.
-the earth map is trying to load a non existent script module, allobj.osm. perhaps a typo?
-sound propagation and lighting problems here and there. not optimized?
-the security card (485, testnextlevel.mis) seem to be broken, it pops into the inventory and can't be used on the slots in any way (probably stopping player progress completely).
-no ambients, no music.
-no MFD goals.
-no audiologs? might not be a good idea in the SS2 universe.
-seems to be rather stealth oriented so far, maybe mention this in the readme.
-speaking of readme, do not encourage people to mess with their installs manually, please.

moving to Engineering, we'll be waiting for an update.

Well, to answer some of your questions,

Firstly, there are two security cards in the first part of the ship, you should try using '485' on the door that you walked past in the beginning of the ship starting area.  That door has a security access card slot on it, and it does work.

No, I don't like pain, I am 1 person and I learned DromED from the bottom up as best as I could.

No, there are no MFD goals, think of it as a classic style FPS with elements that make you think what your next plan will be.

And as far as the 'allobj.osm' script trying to load, I have no idea what that is, I've never seen it and I have playtested and have ran this map in both the stock GOG.com version AND steam version of system shock and have never seen that error so excuse me for not noticing.

And as far as encouraging people, I have no idea what your trying to say, its almost like your upset, which I don't understand, I clearly have a disclaimer in my readme files so I don't know what your trying to insinuate there.

6622dcb6be720voodoo47

6622dcb6be786
still, it's a slightly odd choice to make the cards an actual inventory item. it's also flawed as a mechanic - you pick up a security card, and it doesn't work on the (second) security door, as you need the other security card.

what I'm trying to say here that we have knowledge to share. ask around, and use it to make your FM better - updating to a NewDark editor and relighting the levels into 32bit would be a good start.

6622dcb6be936chuckles n chestnuts

6622dcb6be987
Yes I agree with some of what you are saying and yes if I had the knowledge to implement the card function better (i.e. make them go to your mdf instead of inventory) I would but I didn't and I didn't know who to go to.  As I stated before I literally took this hobby on myself with no help other than painstakingly googling everything.   

I put alot of time and effort into it and yes I suppose I was and still am using the old dark engine.  I am merely using this as a platform so I can link my download for those who want to play it and I thought what better medium than system shock.org.  I like this site alot, it is where I got the majority of my resources from and it pains me to see the majority of posters on here  (on my thread so far) pretty much lashing out at me instead of giving my FM a chance (as of now its only been uploaded for less than a quarter of a day).  And some other person on here literally 5 minutes from the download time started questioning me like crazy.

I am about half tempted to delete my account on here (merley hours after creating it) and just upload my FM somewhere else...which I don't want to but if all I am seeing on here is critisizm without giving my FM a chance then thats what I'll do.
6622dcb6bee35
I am about half tempted to delete my account on here (merley hours after creating it) and just upload my FM somewhere else...which I don't want to but if all I am seeing on here is critisizm without giving my FM a chance then thats what I'll do.

Please don't do that, it's true that this is a small but dedicated community, and that you'll receive brutally honest criticism from some members, but it won't be meant cruelly or unfairly (well, one member is a sarcastic (and unfunny) git, but he's too useful to ban, unfortunately), and the feedback you'll receive here could help you improve both the mod and your modding knowledge and skills.

And wherever you go on the internet, you'll likely receive unreasonable and/or offensive posts once in a while - the occasional idiot 'bravely' posting offensive rubbish is the price we pay for freedom of speech. At least on here, since it's a hardcore System Shock 1 and 2 fansite, the members will be keen to help you improve the FM, rather than tear you down.

I can't try the mod at the moment (I'm working away from home, and don't have my desktop with me, just two consoles), but it's great to see another FM added to SS2's library.
Acknowledged by 4 members: ThiefsieFool, Colonel SFF, callum13117, chuckles n chestnuts

6622dcb6bef74voodoo47

6622dcb6befcb
well, our standards are high - anything posted will get analyzed, and flaws will be pointed out. and while I do realize you've put a lot of effort into this, that doesn't automatically mean your first attempt is flawless and praiseworthy. being able to make good stuff means you need to have a lot of experience, and you gain experience by making bad stuff first, then revisiting, correcting, and revisiting again, and eventually, after a lot of work and pain, you'll get there. as far as I can tell, the FM is not bad for a first attempt, but don't try to think there isn't room for (a lot of) improvement.

btw, this shouldn't discourage you, it should make you realize "aha! I can do much more". update your tools, dive into the FM for the second time, have a look around the forum or ask people for ideas, implement, recheck, correct, keep the gears spinning.
« Last Edit: 09. April 2016, 20:37:09 by voodoo47 »

6622dcb6bf120chuckles n chestnuts

6622dcb6bf17e
Thanks voodoo47 I'll take what you said into consideration, I suppose I didn't realize the standards held here.   I know where I stand skill wise in regards to mapping and I know that I definately have alot of room for improvement that is true and I don't deny it so maybe, what I have can be improved upon, but as it stands I think my FM is ok, I've played it through with 2 different builds and it plays fine, I will agree the keycard implementation is sub-par but functional, and I'll have to look into updating it for the newdark engine which I will look into in the very near future, but as for now this first FM will remain as is for now at least.

6622dcb6bf21achuckles n chestnuts

6622dcb6bf26f
Thank you for your encouragement JDoran, I will stick around.

6622dcb6bf4fbicemann

6622dcb6bf54f
Dayam. Surprised my FM didn't get the same criticisms as it has similar stuff (no audio logs, no MFD goals). Though mine has music.

I should point out that there are several action + no audio log style FMs out there, so don't go too hard on chuckles n chestnuts.

To chuckles n chestnuts I would suggest taking any comments on board (and not to heart, as no'one is saying it to insult you personally), and perhaps adding some extra stuff here and there where appropriate. That's how releases on the internet go, regardless of the game it's for, and in the end results in improved content.

Essentials to a FM in my opinion:
* Player start (duh) + end
* Music  - Just sit down and listen to the tunes on offer in the game, and pick the one that fits the theme of your FM most.
* Make it look lived in. As in, detail to rooms is good to see.

Beyond that, go with what you feel like. Want to do it 100% stealth? Go for it. I was making a FM like that at one stage ("Alone" which there is a demo of in the engineering section I believe). Want to go for 100% action? Sweet. Feel free. Or go with the traditional style that many have gone for which emulates the main game (eg audio logs and emails, MFD goals etc etc). It's COMPLETELY up to you.

The most important thing is to NOT TAKE OFFENSE when you release something online. It's guaranteed to happen. I worked on my completed FM "Ancient" on and off for 4-5 months, and got a response of "Ancient is mediocre" from one person, and sure I was annoyed, but that's the internet. Just take it on board, and if you have the time + interest for it, then take those comments on board and add improvements, OR implement them in future FMs that you develop.

Forum feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken here, but I think much of criticisms come from the extreme lack of newly created SS2 FM content these days. So when something does get released, it's held up against the best stuff out there (eg Christine's FMs for example). But just take it on board, and go with what you feel you want to do with it. Deleting your account here would be a silly thing to do though + a major overreaction.
Acknowledged by: chuckles n chestnuts

6622dcb6bf77aZylonBane

6622dcb6bf7cf
I haven't played this yet, but I will say this--

Seriously, NewDark. It's just so, so, so much better that you won't know how you ever managed to do anything in the old DromEd. It crashes less, has more informative error messages, doesn't force you to save and reload the mission every time you want to test something, has a texture picker that's about a million times better, built-in monolog window, object hierarchy search, mousewheel zoom, hardware-accelerated rendering in editor mode, better lighting, higher-res textures, higher scene complexity... and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Now as for the critics here, you have to bear in mind that a lot of what goes on here is fixing up the original Thief and SS2 missions. Bugfixing, texture alignment, sound propagation, object positioning, general consistency issues, etc. So, many of us are attuned to looking at these things almost more as testers than as players, and will twitch when things aren't done "right" (the way Looking Glass/Irrational did it). In fact, if you disappeared right now one or more of us would probably seize your mission and polish it up ourselves. We're that obsessive.

So.... welcome aboard the crazy train?
Acknowledged by 2 members: Nameless Voice, chuckles n chestnuts

6622dcb6bf874voodoo47

6622dcb6bf8cf
choo-choo.

6622dcb6bf95dZylonBane

6622dcb6bf9af
newdark_train_picture_that_i_can't_find_since_i'm_at_work_right_now.jpg

6622dcb6bfa45voodoo47

6622dcb6bfa90
choo.
6622dcb6bfdb6
We can do timetravels now?

6622dcb6bfe53voodoo47

6622dcb6bfea4
yes, but only forward - one minute, and it takes 60 seconds.

6622dcb6c05ddchuckles n chestnuts

6622dcb6c063d
Dayam. Surprised my FM didn't get the same criticisms as it has similar stuff (no audio logs, no MFD goals). Though mine has music.

I should point out that there are several action + no audio log style FMs out there, so don't go too hard on chuckles n chestnuts.

To chuckles n chestnuts I would suggest taking any comments on board (and not to heart, as no'one is saying it to insult you personally), and perhaps adding some extra stuff here and there where appropriate. That's how releases on the internet go, regardless of the game it's for, and in the end results in improved content.

Essentials to a FM in my opinion:
* Player start (duh) + end
* Music  - Just sit down and listen to the tunes on offer in the game, and pick the one that fits the theme of your FM most.
* Make it look lived in. As in, detail to rooms is good to see.

Beyond that, go with what you feel like. Want to do it 100% stealth? Go for it. I was making a FM like that at one stage ("Alone" which there is a demo of in the engineering section I believe). Want to go for 100% action? Sweet. Feel free. Or go with the traditional style that many have gone for which emulates the main game (eg audio logs and emails, MFD goals etc etc). It's COMPLETELY up to you.

The most important thing is to NOT TAKE OFFENSE when you release something online. It's guaranteed to happen. I worked on my completed FM "Ancient" on and off for 4-5 months, and got a response of "Ancient is mediocre" from one person, and sure I was annoyed, but that's the internet. Just take it on board, and if you have the time + interest for it, then take those comments on board and add improvements, OR implement them in future FMs that you develop.

Forum feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken here, but I think much of criticisms come from the extreme lack of newly created SS2 FM content these days. So when something does get released, it's held up against the best stuff out there (eg Christine's FMs for example). But just take it on board, and go with what you feel you want to do with it. Deleting your account here would be a silly thing to do though + a major overreaction.

Thanks Icemann,

Actually, your FM was one of the first (and only) FM's that I played!  And yeah there were no audio logs and only one music track and not much shock elements in it because it was a rendition of your doom map (I read your text notes) and no matter what, it was something it was your work of art, I am sure you put effort into it as you know much as I do that dromED is not so ABC simple to work with.  So whenever a fan shows some effort I think thats a good thing, there is always room for improvement of course but this is artwork not a  competition, but as far as these other comments go, yes they are right, and sure the help would be nice, but like you said I think some of the members on here came down hard on me.  Yes I can take internet critisizm but when its by critics that actually seem to speak the lingo and know the editor its kinda harsh at times, the random "oh this *bleep* sucks' is expected but detailed critisizm right of the bat is a bit harsh I will agree.  I appreciate your input Icemann

6622dcb6c0c44unn_atropos

6622dcb6c0c9c
Just finished your mission, and I enjoyed it! There is a bunch of cool ideas in there, some neat surprises and tense situations that break up my System Shock routine. I also like your humor Hybrid hangar.

You should really, really consider adding audiologs. xdiesp got some good people for Sys: Infinite, and voodoo47 worked on audio for "the minstrel" so I'm sure they can connect you to some voice actors.
Hell, I wouldn't mind speaking a part! Havn't had the opportunity yet.

Here are some things I noticed that I would like to point out (as constructive criticism and suggestions. Not in a "your mission sucks" way :)):
- The gameplay is good though the balancing of how much items you get (and when) seems to be a bit on the rough side. Maybe I didn't find the chemical store room, but I just saw one lonely Cu container. Cybermodules are very scarce; a few more would be nice.
- the architecture is good; though in my playthrough I was a bit annoyed/confused by the long corridors leading to even longer corridors into every direction. This resulted into a lot of walking/backtracking
- the architecture is done on a great scale; giving me the impression of (too) vast emptiness. For your next FM you maybe could take a closer look at Fm like "return to the unn" or even "The Minstrel". They have a more compact design, thus creating some of Sys2 trademark claustrophobic atmosphere.
- minor nitpick: in some instances I had enemies spawn right next to me. Maybe you could hide that a bit better...
- the final part of the FM was a bit too trigger happy for me. Too much enemies in one spot, no enough corners and possibilities to outsmart them
the glowing trees in Cyberspace are just beautiful! Getting close to a Tron crossover Maybe add some ambience like in Darvinia to them?
- the finale: nice scenery but I could not beat it without cheating: I just jumped into the black beneath the platforms and exploited the respawn feature. Made the battle a piece of cake. Without that, the battle seems a bit unfair to me

cant get in: I didnt see a awy to open this room. Intentionall?
windows description: only appears from this far away. Happens with benches too
yeah unbreakable window: monkey can do it, but no me? Who's side are you on?????? :lordy: (maybe give an option to do something /withto the other trapped monsters?)

corn army: nice, but they are all facing the same direction which makes them look like a bataillon of corn soldiers (hey voodoo: how about a thanks giving mod? :smurf:). Maybe rotae some of them to make it look more natural?
[blue-rectangel.jpg expired]
[cant-get-in.jpg expired]
[game-has-no-description.jpg expired]
[invisible-wall 2.jpg expired]
[invisible-wall-1.jpg expired]
[invisible-wall-3.jpg expired]
[laughable-small-consoles.jpg expired]
[no-sound-when-hit.jpg expired]
[windows_description.jpg expired]
[window-texture.jpg expired]
[yeah-unbreakable-window^^.jpg expired]
[z-fighting.jpg expired]
[corn_army.jpg expired]
« Last Edit: 08. April 2016, 23:08:18 by unn_atropos »

6622dcb6c1644chuckles n chestnuts

6622dcb6c16aa
Just finished your mission, and I enjoyed it! There is a bunch of cool ideas in there, some neat surprises and tense situations that break up my System Shock routine. I also like your humor Hybrid hangar.

You should really, really consider adding audiologs. xdiesp got some good people for Sys: Infinite, and voodoo47 worked on audio for "the minstrel" so I'm sure they can connect you to some voice actors.
Hell, I wouldn't mind speaking a part! Havn't had the opportunity yet.

Here are some things I noticed that I would like to point out (as constructive criticism and suggestions. Not in a "your mission sucks" way :)):
- The gameplay is good though the balancing of how much items you get (and when) seems to be a bit on the rough side. Maybe I didn't find the chemical store room, but I just saw one lonely Cu container. Cybermodules are very scarce; a few more would be nice.
- the architecture is good; though in my playthrough I was a bit annoyed/confused by the long corridors leading to even longer corridors into every direction. This resulted into a lot of walking/backtracking
- the architecture is done on a great scale; giving me the impression of (too) vast emptiness. For your next FM you maybe could take a closer look at Fm like "return to the unn" or even "The Minstrel". They have a more compact design, thus creating some of Sys2 trademark claustrophobic atmosphere.
- minor nitpick: in some instances I had enemies spawn right next to me. Maybe you could hide that a bit better...
- the final part of the FM was a bit too trigger happy for me. Too much enemies in one spot, no enough corners and possibilities to outsmart them
the glowing trees in Cyberspace are just beautiful! Getting close to a Tron crossover Maybe add some ambience like in Darvinia to them?
- the finale: nice scenery but I could not beat it without cheating: I just jumped into the black beneath the platforms and exploited the respawn feature. Made the battle a piece of cake. Without that, the battle seems a bit unfair to me

cant get in: I didnt see a awy to open this room. Intentionall?
windows description: only appears from this far away. Happens with benches too
yeah unbreakable window: monkey can do it, but no me? Who's side are you on?????? :lordy: (maybe give an option to do something /withto the other trapped monsters?)

corn army: nice, but they are all facing the same direction which makes them look like a bataillon of corn soldiers (hey voodoo: how about a thanks giving mod? :smurf:). Maybe rotae some of them to make it look more natural?

Hey unn_atropos,

Thank you for your constructive input, and I am glad you liked my FM!   Your the first person on here who actually has played my FM before 'commenting' on it.  I will answer some of your questions below as best as I can:

As for Audio logs, I am still novice, as I literally learned dromED from the ground up.  So I was limited with resources to work with.  Having voice actors like in system shock infinite would be great but for now that is a big task to tackle but depending upon the future of my rapport with this website I will look into that.

As for the balancing goes, I tried to make it so the player really thinks about his/her actions I did leave alot of room for nanite procurement though (I put two recyclers in my FM one is slightly more difficult than the other depending upon the build path and playstyle of the player).

Thank you for admiring my arcitecture; and yes I will agree it was a little bit big in some areas, mind you
this was done over a span of two years and I didn't realize the size and scope of it all yet and how it would exactly come together but I will agree some of the walking time can seem like a bit much and it does seem a bit big in some aspects, which I will improve upon if I decide to make another FM.

As far as enemy spawns I tried my best to not make them sloppy, and if there were instances of enemies spawning next to you I am sorry about that, and I will see if I can look into it if you specify which location you had them spawning next to you; but no guarantee's I'll fix it but I will note it and keep it for future reference (but I might revamp this mission, it all depends really).  I hope that answers that.

As for the final part I am guessing your referring to the 'digital' part and if so, I kind of intended that to be a place where the player had built up ammo stockpiles through selling and purchasing ammo for his/her said build and getting ready for something which I had ready for them.  But I suppose I see where it could seem like a little much.

And as for the scenery for the finale, I am glad you liked it!  But the teleport part I put in there for that exact reason to exploit it
to win the finale, I tried to accomodate all playstyles....also did you know there is a second finale map?  (heres a hint search for a keycard on a downed 'man' in the 'cyber area')

And as far as the corn army (lol) I can explain, its basically genetic engineering for food and botanical life (the entire earth area) so it is supposed to emulate the genetic engineering and processing and testing of various plantlife via hydroponics

And as far as the monkey goes, my little storyline idea is, is that the glass had already been attempted to be broken several times by other monkies in the area and since the glass was weakened the monkey busted through it as you can see in my mission (thats my little backstory plot behind that there).

And as far as the radsuit room, no you can't get in its only aesthetical, that 'rad' area was closed off by the memebers on the ship (another backstory on that).

In closing thank you for your intuitive post and I am happy you at least liked it, I will take your comments into consideration unn_atropos  :)

« Last Edit: 09. April 2016, 01:12:41 by chuckles n chestnuts »

6622dcb6c1e3cicemann

6622dcb6c1ea7
Thanks Icemann,

Actually, your FM was one of the first (and only) FM's that I played!  And yeah there were no audio logs and only one music track and not much shock elements in it because it was a rendition of your doom map (I read your text notes) and no matter what, it was something it was your work of art, I am sure you put effort into it as you know much as I do that dromED is not so ABC simple to work with.  So whenever a fan shows some effort I think thats a good thing, there is always room for improvement of course but this is artwork not a  competition, but as far as these other comments go, yes they are right, and sure the help would be nice, but like you said I think some of the members on here came down hard on me.  Yes I can take internet critisizm but when its by critics that actually seem to speak the lingo and know the editor its kinda harsh at times, the random "oh this *bleep* sucks' is expected but detailed critisizm right of the bat is a bit harsh I will agree.  I appreciate your input Icemann

Only played mine? Damn lol. I'd HIGHLY recommend checking out the other stuff. Doc4's FM is excellent, as is RTTUNN, all of Christine's stuff, SS2 Infinite is the best of the lot imo and the 1 hour contest entries were mostly all quite good.

If your looking for straight up action (so not traditional SS2 style) then just the 1 hour contest entries + FM Proov are your best bet. Not many out there that went that direction. Oh and zombe had a great one in that style also. Forgotten the name of it.

With my FM I was going in with a "I'm going for Doom style action" style approach to it. I understood at the time that everyone else was making more SS2 traditional style FMs, which was fine and I love playing those. But I wanted to go for something different, where the player would need to be moving quite often, and have numerous challenging battles. Hence the Doom approach. And I'm happy with what resulted.

Sure I go back and play it now and think hmm the start of it is wayyyyyy too dark, or that it could have used some more rooms or whatever. But no'one is ever satisfied fully with that they create. There will always be something else you can add. Best thing is to take all the comments on board, then just go where you want with that.

Oh and the comment by ZylonBane, on that if you don't do the fixes, the community just may is totally spot on.

Something like a music track for example is EASY to put in. You just stick a once tripwire at the very start of the level that links off to a music track and hey presto. There must still be tutorials available for that stuff I hope? I kept all the tutorials people posted a decade ago, as it was of great help to me making my FM.

I'll make a point of having a play of your FM tonight, then will provide my comments on it.

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

In which year was System Shock released:
1 Guest is here.
Who are you midnight wanderer?
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6622dcb6c5649