666248111e685

666248111edc2
1 Guest is here.

Topic: If Shock2 gets remade what do we want?
Page: « 1 [2]
Read 2983 times  

666248111f768
Nah, not really new. It's just new to the modern generation as well as those that only play on PC. The people that made Dark Souls have been around since the 90s and they weren't the only ones doing this stuff. It was pretty commonplace. That said, while there is a notable history, Dark Souls is probably the best of the bunch, as it should be, being the only modern iteration of its breed. If only the same could be said for WRPGs, where old consistently destroys new.
There was a big drought of hardcore Japanese ARPGs some time after the early 2000s that was not revived until Dark/Demon Souls. And "hardcore" games are so rare these days so it's a huge breath of fresh air. Now we just need a hardcore Immersive Sim to revive good western ARPGs.

And hey, the masses get obsessive over anything, usually what is marketed best, or what they think is deep but is just a watered down version of the old. Most of the time it isn't even something deserving of adoration, like Bioshock. That a notable portion have took to Dark Souls is a good sign. Usually they do not recognize meticulous & logical yet uncompromising design.
« Last Edit: 22. April 2016, 20:57:27 by Join usss! »
666248111f947
Damn those faceless masses. I'm just glad none of them is around.  :lulu:
Acknowledged by: Dj 127
666248111fab6
That's probably sarcasm. Yes, yes, I'm guilty for being a part of the Many biological mass from time to time, as long as you intend to be informed and make your own decisions that's what counts. I'd give a chance to that jaded voice telling me System Shock is ten times better than Bioshock and not dismiss it solely on the grounds that the game looks a little old visually.
666248112010c
A common misconception. Dark Souls is a typical console action JRPG. See: Kings Field, Vagrant Story, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams or even the original Devil May Cry.
About the only things innovative/new about it are the multiplayer features in tandem with the singleplayer: the messages and invasions.

I tend to think one of the reasons it's so popular is it is a good old school-styled game that is a breath of fresh air among the horrible modern design practices.
I never said there is anything new or innovative about it, that's just you adding new things to other people statements again, just so you can't rant off how superior your knowledge is.
I picked the Dark Souls series as a modern day example of a game which is different from the current masses, and you throw old games at me.
Acknowledged by: Dj 127
666248112026e
For goodness sake. You said it is "different" without expanding further, my correction of that singular statement was perfectly valid. It's old hat.

Let's stick to the topic.

66624811205bb
False. I've seen lots of posts around the internet from people who've only recently played SS2 for the first time, and loved it.

Lol. That's anecdotal and I'm obviously talking about the difference between an old game attracting small numbers of players over time versus a large influx. I could find you an equal number of people complaining about the inaccessibility of ss2, or who tried it and never finished it. Does that mean they don't deserve to play the holy of holies, because they are dumb gamers with consolitis who wouldn't appreciate greatness if it was remade and thrust in their faces? Or could it be that maybe, just maybe, with a few tweaks to the UI and few hints thrown into the game design, system shock 2 could hit a larger audience?

66624811206d6ZylonBane

666248112072e
If only that was what you originally said, instead of something that was demonstrably wrong.
666248112088a
Did you know that even courts of law aren't so pedantic that they can recognize the spirit of what was being communicated, instead of what was literally said?

Anybody with half a brain can reasonably tell that "it's not capturing any new imaginations at this point" means that the game is old, unknown, and rarely receives attention, not that it literally hasn't had a new player in years. You are the kind of "fan" who loves system shock so much that you post asinine, pedantic rants to insult others and make the community look like a bunch of bitter 40 year old virgins. Get a life, dude.

6662481120b90
OK then. Just finished a psi playthrough while my net was down.

Would be great if shotgun hybrids had a melee attack.

Hybrids that use other weapons would be neat too, but probably harder to balance.

Having hacked systems 'unhack'/revert back to stock behavior (much like how security systems already do) would be a neat way of re-enforcing the 'nothing is ever safe' mantra. Alongside possibly have hybrids/other enemies that can repair destroyed cameras/equipment.

Protocol droids having as part of their behavior loop unlocking other protocol droids from those casket/packages to search for you.

Wormpiles can eventually be used up, or otherwise gotten rid of (incindiary psi powers/grenades) That way you can risk oops can't get more worm ammo.

I loved how System Shock INfinite's cyberspace worked. Study that, then find ways of 'plussing' it to be even better (I swear one of the best moments in Infinite was seeing a shodanified version of the recruitment center you could actually walk through.)

Being able to mod the recycler so it could eat guns/organs.

Ditto with being able to mod armor. Would be kinda neat to add in the ability to socket specific implants into armor to give bonus effects (maybe only the powered armor to give it an even bigger reason to use in spite of the hassle.)

6662481121122ThiefsieFool

666248112119a

Would be great if shotgun hybrids had a melee attack.

Hybrids that use other weapons would be neat too, but probably harder to balance.

Wormpiles can eventually be used up, or otherwise gotten rid of (incindiary psi powers/grenades) That way you can risk oops can't get more worm ammo.

Ditto with being able to mod armor.

https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=7153.0

66624811214b3ZylonBane

666248112150b
Having hacked systems 'unhack'/revert back to stock behavior (much like how security systems already do) would be a neat way of re-enforcing the 'nothing is ever safe' mantra.
If hacked turrets could become un-hacked, players would just destroy them.

666248112166fvoodoo47

66624811216be
wouldn't mind the shotgun bash and shard hybrid, even in the orig game - the (Secmod) bash just feels right, and shard hybrids (infected crewmembers using crystal shards) are hinted in the logs, so they would fit in no problem.

unhacking doesn't sound like a good idea. worm ammo is limited by beaker availability.
6662481121a1c
If hacked turrets could become un-hacked, players would just destroy them.

Hence having 'repair turrets' as a behavior that can happen (and you being able to stop.) Ditto with cameras. Or replace broke turrets with organic turrets that fie annalid bees at you...

The whole point being 'nowhere is ever permenently secure' and wandering respawns don't quite feel tense enough since that's either 'here let's throw these pointless enemies' or 'let's swarm them with ninjas.'

As for 'why bother when they'll just be destroyed' why bother with protocol droids when you can just climb out of the way and snipe them? It's a thing that can trip up the unexpecting and is a varied behavior to help keep tension up realisticly without just putting a boot on your face. Plus in universe it works because while they would make a system inherently insecure in case xerxes pulled a shodan and you need a one man army through they would still want the thing to revert to default behavior so it's not totally subverted permenently.

6662481121bf7icemann

6662481121c56
Considering the fantastic work done by the community with SHTUP, newDark etc, I don't want to see SS2 be remade. It's perfectly fine as is.
Acknowledged by: RocketMan
1 Guest is here.
What a waste of the white LED bracelets handed out in front of the venue.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP