665b638a499d0

665b638a4a34f
3 Guests are here.

Topic: SSR: System Shock Kickstarter
Page: « 1 ... 80 [81] 82 ... 84 »
Read 130141 times  

665b638a4ae86Nameless Voice

665b638a4af5c
To me, we are in the most boring era of video gaming that I have ever known (and I've been playing video games since just before 1980, with the earliest arcade machines). There are very few upcoming games that I am looking forward to, and I hate the largely formulaic frame-work of first person shooters that we see nowadays.

Most of the interesting game are in the indie space now.
Lots of upcoming indie immersive sims, for example.  I've listed at least 41 immersive sims in development currently, most of them from indies.
665b638a4b120
Nameless Voice, I'd like to see that list, where it is, please?

I'm always on the look out for good immersive sims.

665b638a4b473sarge945

665b638a4b4c3
Blood West is alright although I wouldn't exactly call it an immersive sim.
665b638a4b647
It has elements of it and is reminiscent of Thief in a couple of ways.

Shadows of Doubt is very much an immersive simulation. It was still a little rough around the edges and maybe not gamey enough for many last time I checked but it showed tremendous ambition and potential.
« Last Edit: 10. February 2024, 08:37:42 by fox »

665b638a4b895Xkilljoy98

• Company: N/A
665b638a4b8e8
So apparently there was consideration of a telltale game at some point?, and the studio was considered as a publisher.

https://www.timeextension.com/news/2023/06/nightdive-almost-partnered-with-telltale-on-a-system-shock-adventure-game

665b638a4bdf9icemann

665b638a4bec5
To me, we are in the most boring era of video gaming that I have ever known (and I've been playing video games since just before 1980, with the earliest arcade machines).

As a fellow gen-x-er totally agree. As time goes on I find myself more investing what gaming time I have into retro gaming far more than modern games.

Some of that is due to the types of games I like not getting made much anymore (eg RTS, immersive sims etc), nostalgia + old games have a charm to them. Last "modern" game I played was Elden Ring. Most of the games nowadays require massive time investments as well, which I just don't have time for unless I'm on holidays.

Judas looks interesting and Death Stranding 2 I'm all in for, but beyond that theres nothing I'm that eager for.

665b638a4bfc2sarge945

665b638a4c018
I've recently been playing Ashes 2063 on the recommendation of a friend and it's quite good.

Gaming is so dead a handful of people can make an awesome game on a community-maintained engine from 20 years ago but triple-A developers can't make something that even functions despite having unlimited money and manpower

665b638a4c0c6Xkilljoy98

665b638a4c119
Console Port/Patch News via Reddit

665b638a4c1daicemann

665b638a4c226
They so suck at articulating important information to backers.

665b638a4c40aXkilljoy98

665b638a4c481
icemannAgreed, I am surprised that communication is done this way. Why not be more open about things and explain it? Why not make a public announcement instead of hiding information away in a Discord or Reddit message that not everyone will see?
Acknowledged by: icemann

665b638a4c54dicemann

665b638a4c5ad
They've been doing it since say 1, and have repeatedly been told off for it, but they just don't get it. So I'd say that's something that will never change.

I'd be very wary of purchasing anything they develop with that in mind.
665b638a4c6e4
Oh well, it's some sort of news, at least. But yes, you'd think that someone at NightDive Studios would realize that the internet allows for free and unlimited publicity, but NDS never seemed to care about public relations or being friendly and open with their customers.

Thanks for posting the news, Xkilljoy98. Hopefully it won't be much longer before we can play the console versions.

665b638a4c95cXkilljoy98

665b638a4c9c0
JDoranNP, and I hope it isn't too much longer. I figure if they aren't gonna spread news then I better share what I can, though who knows how many other times they have commented and it has gone unseen.

I just generally don't get why they do what they do sometimes. They aren't very open about it and don't tell you if you ask.

Hell, there's even stuff like the TV show which we still have no word on it if is still going to be a thing.

665b638a4cbd5Nameless Voice

665b638a4cc3c
Nameless Voice, I'd like to see that list, where it is, please?

I'm always on the look out for good immersive sims.

https://immersivesim.wikidot.com

665b638a4cd95voodoo47

665b638a4ce4a
I read that as wik-idiot for some reason.

665b638a4cef1Nameless Voice

665b638a4cf42
I may have been an idiot for choosing that wiki software.
665b638a4d1ca

Wow! Your list is really comprehensive. there are quite a few games on there that I've not heard of. I will enjoy looking up those games, thanks.

665b638a4d35asarge945

665b638a4d3af
I may have been an idiot for choosing that wiki software.

Still not as bad as wikia or fandom. Those sites should be purged.

665b638a4d49aXkilljoy98

665b638a4d4e9
Wikia/Fandom (Same site iirc) ain't perfect that's for sure, and I have considered moving Shodanpedia to another site but rn it's mainly just me and there isn't a community consensus on it yet

Anyway, another update, again via reddit
[IMG_7818.png expired]
665b638a4d652
And yet they somehow managed to create a full remaster of Dark Forces, and release it, whilst still waiting to release the already finished console versions of SSR.

I love Nightdive's remasters/re-releases, but their refusal to buck the gaming industry's pervading attitude of "We're too good to have to speak to the peasants who buy our games" is soooooo annoying. Especially because when Nightdive started, they seemed like they were made up of gamers, and so would understand and want to work with the gamers who would buy their games.
Acknowledged by: icemann

665b638a4d778icemann

665b638a4d7ca
I quite admire the reasonings / main goal of the company in developing remasters of older games which no longer run on modern systems (without some tinkering). If you delve even a little into PC retro gaming, it can be an absolute royal pain to get half the games to run well on modern systems. It's a bit of a untapped gold mine if anything. Surprised more companies don't do it more often.

Getting the rights to System Shock sorted out being the other side to them, which was great. They just suck at communication, and have only got worse over time with that. Pre-Atari take over, you would at least get occasional posts by Kick and others on their Discord + occasional Twitch streams. You don't even get that anymore.
665b638a4db64
Getting the rights to System Shock sorted out being the other side to them, which was great.

And now the rights are messed up again.
665b638a4de4c
And now the rights are messed up again.

In what way? Because Atari, or whoever currently owns the name 'Atari', owns the rights now? That might introduce complications, I suppose, but at least we now have System Shock Enhanced Edition, the source code (and fan-made binaries), and System Shock Remake (on PC, anyway, and we'll probably get the console versions sometime before the sun goes nova), so if the rights of System Shock do get buried again then most people won't care. I hope System Shock 2 Enhanced Edition comes out before the rights get somehow lost, though.

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

Name the company that developed System Shock 2:
3 Guests are here.
If he gets near, spacebar him!
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
665b638a4e80c