665b6ee8e51a6

665b6ee8e5e08
3 Guests are here.

Topic: The Myth of Sentient Machines
Page: « 1 ... 4 [5] 6 »
Read 14283 times  

665b6ee8e6803
Academic credibility isn't limited to scientific proof (which doesn't exist).
There are many scientific disciplines that are not based on empiricism. Philosophy being an obvious one.
David Chalmers who posed the Hard Problem of Consciousness is a philosopher.
We need philosophy and ethics more than ever but people tend to dismiss them as useless or unproven. Makes me furious tbh.
665b6ee8e69f8
Well, that's a debate I'm not sure I want to participate in. Regarding this topic academic credibility doesn't mean much at all to me without having scientific findings to back it up. It's like a theologian telling me that god exists. I do value philosophy but I dislike "academic credibility" because it has that "don't worry, experts say it is so"-ring to it.
« Last Edit: 07. February 2018, 05:19:50 by fox »
Acknowledged by: Kolya
665b6ee8e6c58
It's funny cause it's truuuuue!

665b6ee8e6f6c
The Guardian: "World's first AI news anchor unveiled in China"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjn_ZJQ-e0Y

Not really AI but one step closer to a cyberpunk reality. There's also a joke about "fake news" in there.
665b6ee8e743d
"Embodied intelligence" sounds like the argument I made throughout this thread, that a body is necessary to have experiences that could lead to any kind of understanding of symbols and hence intelligence. With the caveat that a human body is required for human intelligence.

That being said, I may have overrated human intelligence previously. Considering the rational urgency to save ourselves from an irreversible climate catastrophe and our short-sighted inability to agree on a global plan to do so - can we really call ourselves intelligent? Well yeah mostly, just not in this area. Because we lack the necessary experience. We only live about 85 years and in that short time span climate change has been hardly perceptible for our ancestors and us.

If we lived 200-300 years we would clearly notice how much earth has changed. But we miss that experience and we are stupid about it. While we invented science and technology to augment our experiences beyond what we can naturally see, hear and feel, it's not the same as experiencing things ourselves.

In fact a huge distrust of remote experiences has crept into societies. It is well justified because most of us are ill equipped to decide which sensors are lying and which could save our lives. Maybe a strong AI could help us with these decisions. It would have to wrestle that power from us though, because we could never agree to trust it.
Acknowledged by: fox
665b6ee8e76ba
Mmh, some latte guzzling hipster gets into a car with a flux capacitor but it never takes off. Instead he's fascinated by the navigation system.
Should I watch this with sound? Naaahhh!
665b6ee8e78de
Oh hey, Sven Marquardt. He photographed a fashion show ("Allerleirauh") in 1988 in East-Berlin that I took part in as a child model.

665b6ee8e79b7
Now also world famous for being a latte-zipping hipster-filter at the gates of Berghain.
665b6ee8e7ad9
Yeah. Never been there myself. I was long gone when Berlin first transformed into an ecstasy fueled lawless underground rave and then into the arty farty snob capital of the world. Back in the 80s lots of people in the scene dabbled in self processed b/w photography, it wasn't too special. He managed to survive all this and get out on top, so props to him.
665b6ee8e7bf9
Since it opened only after my epsiode in Berlin, I've never been to the Berghain either. Wouldn't be interested in it at all nowadays - my clubbing days are long gone and if I were interested in the sex part people are fantasizing about, I guess the KitKatClub would still be the more interesting place of the two. Berlin was great for me back then but that appeal is entirely gone these days. Getting old, I suppose. That's not always a bad thing.
« Last Edit: 19. January 2019, 19:13:23 by fox »
665b6ee8e7e0a
University of Maryland researchers created 1,213 questions in collaboration with computers to identify flaws in machine-learning language models

https://cmns.umd.edu/news-events/features/4470

665b6ee8e7f43ZylonBane

665b6ee8e7fe3
AI Researcher: "Hey, who's up for a quick game of 1,213 Questions?"
Computer: "Ooh, I am!"
AI Researcher: "AHA!"
665b6ee8e8131
 :awesome: I was interested in that article to pad out our own captcha questions for guest posting. Unfortunately they didn't provide a simple list of questions that AIs couldn't answer. I guess that was too much to ask. But they gave me some ideas. For example the misleading name dropping of persons.

If Donald Trump would be impeached would you still stroke a cat?

665b6ee8e82bficemann

665b6ee8e831b
A captcha that beats them every time is those image ones. Like "click all of the images that have a bike in them".

Facebook marketplace and Gumtree use those sorts of captcha's.
« Last Edit: 09. August 2019, 06:41:22 by icemann »

665b6ee8e8408ZylonBane

665b6ee8e8454
You know the big spammers don't use bots for captchas anymore, right? They pay hordes of people in India or wherever pennies an hour to solve those things with their human brains.

https://www.themarysue.com/captcha-solvers/

665b6ee8e8519icemann

665b6ee8e8571
Man. So many dodgy companies over there.

The amount of "Hello, I'm calling from Microsoft" phone calls I've received over the past few years. If I could just block all calls from India that'd be great. Though some of them route their calls via numbers here, which would get around that.

665b6ee8e86e8voodoo47

665b6ee8e8735
on a slightly related note, I had a real nigerian scammer trying out his tricks on some of my hw junk I'm selling locally last week. kept him busy for a couple of days to waste his time like a good netizen should, and ultimately apologized for not being able to ship to his part of the world (didn't want to let him know I knew all the time, to avoid him getting better at his schtick).

but man their english is getting good.
[like_im_givin_you_any_of_that_ya_ass.jpg expired]
« Last Edit: 09. August 2019, 20:04:46 by voodoo47 »
3 Guests are here.
Woo, and indeed, hoo!
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
665b6ee8e99ad