665b1f026114e

665b1f0261d85
2 Guests are here.

Topic: Classic electronic music
Page: « 1 [2] 3 ... 10 »
Read 20302 times  

665b1f0262536
Using javascripted spoilers (the type seen on many forums that drop down when opened) wouldn't solve the page load problem. It used to work with Flash embeds. Those weren't loaded until they became visible. But old Flash embeds are dead. Chrome stopped supporting the NPAPI based Flash plugin and Youtube has been offering iFrames for embedding for a long time. These iframes load whether they are rendered or not. Hence the performance hit would be the same.
Acknowledged by: Join usss!
« Last Edit: 28. August 2016, 14:24:01 by Join usss! »
« Last Edit: 30. August 2016, 16:44:05 by Join usss! »

665b1f0262afaicemann

665b1f0262b53
Slowly making my way through all the tracks, making mp3 versions as I go.

Now if you could just find and link this super old drum and base track I loved as a kid. Don't know the name of it. All I know is that it sounded like a mix of forest style stuff and Dinosaurs. And yep I know that that is not a lot to go on :). Used to have a recording of it on a old cassette tape.
665b1f0262d28
PHD & The Funky Technicians - Above and Beyond

Shogun - Pegasus

Source Direct - Mind Weaver

FutureBound - The Ephemeris

Now if you could just find and link this super old drum and base track I loved as a kid. Don't know the name of it. All I know is that it sounded like a mix of forest style stuff and Dinosaurs. And yep I know that that is not a lot to go on :). Used to have a recording of it on a old cassette tape.

Check out LTJ Bukem - Demon's Theme posted above...but it could be absolutely anything. In the 90s drum and bass was also alternatively called "Jungle", and it was relatively common that a track would feature animal sounds/samples.

665b1f026322aicemann

665b1f0263277
My favorite of the videos you've linked would easily be "PFM - The Western (original mix)". The video that accompanies the tune is great too. Though I assume that wasn't the original video for the tune, as the last minute or so of the video is of a static image.

That tune tends to stick in your head after you've listened to it.

Just been slowly going through the videos as you link them, converting to mp3 the ones I like (which has been the majority).
665b1f026335d
"The Western" was the first ever track of the sub-genre I heard. Still one of the best.
665b1f02638ad
Seba - Planetary Funk Alert (1998)

Some early 2000s stuff:

High Contrast - Return of Forever (2002)

James Darnley - Let it Rock (???? early '00s sometime)

Kosheen - Empty Skies (2001).

DnB had changed rather a lot even then. Lots of repetitive, simplistic drum patterns. There was a lot of that in the 90s too but it just became the norm from here into the future. Exceptions always apply of course.

Will do a contemporary dnb post shortly. There's nothin' on the '90s though.
« Last Edit: 20. September 2016, 14:27:10 by Join usss! »

665b1f026395aicemann

665b1f02639ab
So many of these closely resemble the Medsci music in many ways. That fast drum beat. Though I guess that's just stand DnB.
665b1f0263cc3
I wouldn't post this music here if it weren't for that connection. The majority of Shock fans are obviously going to be open to this stuff.
Shock 2's DnB is excellent. Shock Remake's DnB artists I'm not so sure of, but we'll see. 

Modern DnB post:

Om Unit - Adventures in Eden (2016)

Bungle - The Need of Being Alone (2009)

Stunna - Miss Ives (2015)

mSdos - Earthling (2013)

Skream - The Epic Last Song (2010)

Kosheen - Guilty (2007)

Parhelia - Southern Cross (2013)

J-Laze - Memoryz (2009) (been posted before)

More Early 2000s:

Markus Intalex - Zumbar (2004)

John B - Forever (2002)

Pendulum - Still Grey (2005) (unusually excellent tune for Pendulum)

Back to the '90s:

Johnny L - This Time

The Prodigy - Break and Enter

DJ Gwange - Motionless

Aquasky - Opaque

Rogue Unit - Dance of the Sharooes (Nookie Remix)

Jonny L - Sam
« Last Edit: 24. September 2016, 17:30:34 by Join usss! »

665b1f0263d9eicemann

665b1f0263dfb
I wouldn't even call the music from the remake that I've heard so far (from the demo and from the example stuff posted online) as DnB.

Prodigy were predominately industrial. Their earlier albums though, yeah that's likely to be DnB.
« Last Edit: 22. September 2016, 07:03:49 by icemann »
665b1f0263f54
The overarching genre lable of the albums Prodigy started with and got famous for would have to be "breakbeat". Among others, there are influences of punk and post-industrial too. Some examples for "purer" industrial would be Throbbing Gristle and early Einstürzende Neubauten. Examples for post-industrial rock/metal bands would be Ministry or Nine Inch Nails.
665b1f0264170
Yeah, Prodigy is breakbeat hardcore.

Approximately in 1993, the scene fragmented (a. & b.), and forked off into two distinct styles—jungle music (later giving rise to drum and bass) and 4-beat (alternatively known as happy hardcore).

Yet Prodigy stayed as their own style distinct from anything else even today, but if anything it is breakbeat hardcore.

If we're being truly technical, most of the stuff I've been posting is Jungle, not Drum & Bass, even though the two are considered interchangeable. It's all stuff with the exact same roots (breakbeat hardcore/early '90s UK hardcore rave scene) and of the same distinct evolutionary path though.

ReShock music is Neurofunk, a sub-genre of drum & bass.

Related to the quote above: the "happy hardcore" fork was horrendously awful. Just listen to these "classics".
« Last Edit: 22. September 2016, 18:02:20 by Join usss! »
665b1f0264338
To clarify, I've been posting about 85% "intellligent" DnB/Jungle, with the recent posts adding more and more breakbeat hardcore, techstep etc as my .txt runs out of the truly good stuff. Most people wouldn't be fussed if you labelled it all as drum & bass.

Will probably post some more from time to time as I remember or discover them, but there's definitely not much left to find or remember that's of the same caliber as PFM's The Western etc, though very little of anything electronic is on that level at all imo.

Essence of Aura - So this is Love (1996)

Peshay & Roger Johnson - in my Soul (1993)

Really cool "downtempo" track not directly related to drum & bass/Jungle/breakbeat hardcore:

Bullitnuts - Heavy Air
« Last Edit: 23. September 2016, 06:43:59 by Join usss! »

665b1f0264587citadel

665b1f02645de
Hold your horses, Join usss! Apart from getting goose bumps from just seeing the track titles, I was in a serious doubt that I was schizophrenic and posted those myself.

Years 1995-2002 were THE years of atmospheric/intelligent dnb. I stumbled upon LTJ Bukem's Journey Inwards album by accident back in 2001 and started digging. Most of the classic ones I have on vinyl (was not easy or cheap but I just had to) and would never sell, pure gold.

LTJ Bukem, Seba/Paradox, PFM, Adam F, Peshay, Big Bud, Tayla, Blame, Rantoul, Artemis, Intense, Source Direct, J-Laze, Blu Mar Ten, Mykra, Gen, Mav, older Roni Size and Goldie, Breakbeat Era, T-Power, Doc Scott, Origin Unknown, the list goes on.

Later there were some close calls like Calibre, D-Bridge, Sabre or such, however I really struggle to find anything remotely complex and (yeah, gonna use this one) immersive lately. At least Seba never lets me down.

Pasting some more heart-warming tunes:

PFM - Cruising Detroit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sq38GeiULk

Seba - Complexities
(Could not find this one! Worth searching for it yourselves!)

P-Funk - P-Funk Era
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWwn-tZEKls

Adam F - Circles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obv477QfDI0

Blu Mar Ten - She Moves Through
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8I64EatBos

Big Bud - Forever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-86cc0UKkg

Sonar Circle - Something Special
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9-2gMM_lYc

Amon Tobin - Night Life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCMf_D6ZDok

Seba - Dangerous Days (newer stuff but a total nerdy merger)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe_Xjg9EbOY
665b1f0264757
Years 1995-2002 were THE years of atmospheric/intelligent dnb.

Excluding '93-94?

I really don't like Adam F - Circles. I just find it really bland and a bit simple, but I think I'm in the minority there as it is/was a popular track.

I don't like most of Seba's newer stuff either. Sounds like all the other "Liquid" DnB out there these days. 

I really struggle to find anything remotely complex and (yeah, gonna use this one) immersive lately.

Amen, brother. The '90s classics are the Immersive Sim of drum & bass/Jungle in that regard. 
665b1f026490e
More 90s. My .txt has ran out of fresh fruit juice* (from this genre, anyway), so now we've got leftover squash. I'll notify if I find/remember something truly exceptional from DnB.

Peshay - The Piano Tune

Flynn & Flora - Dream of You

Mad Dog III - My God

DJ Fokus - Pulse

Omni Trio - Soul Promenade (Nookie Remix)

*By this I mean I've still got plenty tracks I like, but nothing that can represent the best of the genre and what you'd play to music snobs to convince them of its worthiness.
« Last Edit: 28. September 2016, 16:54:57 by Join usss! »
665b1f0264d52
I'll notify if I find/remember something truly exceptional from DnB.

I've remembered/discovered/put a name to some more golden oldies:

JMJ - Gravitational Pull (1997)

Ken Ishii - Stretch (Shogun Remix) (1996)

Oblivion - Sands of Time (1996)

PFM & DJ Tayla - The Submarine Tune (1993)

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

An evil mega-corporation with 3 branches:
2 Guests are here.
A brothel sidequest is too risqué? You're Italian, aren't ya?
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
665b1f02659a9