6662a1c85c8fc

6662a1c85cfed
1 Guest is here.

Topic: InkyBlackness news: v0.5.0 - Object editing
Page: « 1 [2]
Read 4203 times  

6662a1c85d534JosiahJack

6662a1c85d59e
The plane is just a dummy model.  If a model was deleted, for instance, I believe it defaults to the plane.

6662a1c85d8c5RocketMan

6662a1c85d919
Plane model?  I was talking about a vast playable area that can't be accessed.  I don't recall where it is now that I've mentioned it but I definitely couldn't get to it.  I'll just take your word for whatever the case may be since you've seen the level design plane as day.

6662a1c85e0f5Roarkes

6662a1c85e161
Hello Roarkes, thank you for your interest! (post became quite large - tl;dr at the bottom)

The primary goal of InkyBlackness is to document most meaningful resource data of the original game. Current side-products of this goal are some editing tools with which I mainly implement to verify my findings. A non-goal of the project is to do yet another attempt at an engine-rewrite. We have other current projects, such as Citadel, as well as the commercial production from OtherSide.

So, neither will InkyBlackness provide a network-capable engine, nor will it attempt to tamper with the existing executable to retrofit this. Yet, on the other side, a level editor could still support such an effort. The aforementioned Citadel project could be extended to have a network-mode - and since it is based on the original resource files from the original game, an editor could create files which are then imported to the network-capable Citadel. (Note: While this is speculation, it is technically feasible.)

As for the capabilities and usability of the (current) level editor: I don't know the editor of SS2 (nor any other editor - the last ones I dabbled with were for Doom and a brief adventure into the one for Descent -- all about 20+ years ago). So I can't compare. Though, as mentioned above and previously in this thread, currently I am not focusing on usability itself; I add an interface with the least amount of engineering, which is not unbearable from a user (my) perspective, just enough to verify my findings. *)
Most likely you would be able to create Citadel (the station - i.e., the game - not the project) from scratch once "finished", though right now it still lacks some features.

It is kind of a chicken-and-egg situation: As long as no one builds a (capable) editor, no one will create mods. As long on one wants to create mods, no one will create a capable editor.
*) Still, I am adding functions to the editor about features of the game I already know of. After all, I myself would love to see some viable mods for SS1 - which is one reason why I created this example mod, to showcase the current capabilities :) Yet at the moment, this has a lower priority. If there is serious demand to create mods, we could find a proper balance of "trying to get used to what the editor already provides", "figure out missing functionality from the data files", and "add editing capabilities to the editor".

tl;dr:
- coop/deathmatch is not applicable to InkyBlackness
- usability of editor/tools: can't compare, though current focus is not on usability
- capabilities: You may be able to re-create Citadel with the editor in the future, right now you can create only levels with low complexity.

Thank you.
Acknowledged by: dertseha

6662a1c85e3a8JosiahJack

6662a1c85e3f8
Plane model?  I was talking about a vast playable area that can't be accessed.  I don't recall where it is now that I've mentioned it but I definitely couldn't get to it.  I'll just take your word for whatever the case may be since you've seen the level design plane as day.
I dunno, I see a couple boxes that aren't reachable but it appears the other areas you see are for other levels' cyber spaces.

6662a1c85e516RocketMan

6662a1c85e56b
It would be cool to have a cyber-cube extruded from normal cyberspace that you could use as a cyber-pod to escape the playable area and tumble randomly into the abyss.  It would come complete with cyber-door and cyber button to detach from the data stream.  You could look through the transparent multi-colored cyber walls of your cyber-cube and see cyberspace drift away into cyber-blackness... inky blackness if you will. XD

But seriously... just make it cool :P

I think HEX addresses should be added with leader-lines pointing to the cyberspace tunnels so you know which area is which when you see them off in the distance from another area.  That way I wouldn't have trouble identifying what that inaccessible space is off in the distance :D

6662a1c85e6c2icemann

6662a1c85e70e
There was also that area that was blocked off via red laser barrier on level 2 with the mutants behind it. I always tried to find ways into that bit without any luck.

Feature request for InkyBlackness - Ability to change player starting position. Yes I know it's hard coded, but I'm requesting anyway.

6662a1c85e7b2JosiahJack

6662a1c85e7fe
Level 2 forcefield box is opened once either beta grove is jettisoned or self destruct is enabled.  Can't remember which.  This lets out some virus mutants.

6662a1c85e885icemann

6662a1c85e8cc
Interesting. Any items of interest in there?

6662a1c85ea37JosiahJack

6662a1c85ea81
Ya thats it. It is only a 3x8 room or so with virus mutants.

6662a1c85ee56dertseha

6662a1c85eeb3
Feature request for InkyBlackness - Ability to change player starting position. Yes I know it's hard coded, but I'm requesting anyway.
A quick blurb since I just tested this: You can indeed add a "level entry trigger" (one time use) in level 1 which immediately transports the hacker to a different level and/or tile coordinate. When starting a new game, the loading cursor blinks once and the view "starts" in the target level! So, by just using up one marker, you can avoid modifying the .exe  :thumb:

Only caveat: There's no action known that allows rotation of the hacker. So hacker will always face West when starting.

Acknowledged by: fascinate4
1 Guest is here.
Excuses, excuses, excuses. What a week. Hard times are back.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6662a1c85fab7