Read 50572 times  

666d6a5ba0191voodoo47

666d6a5ba01fe
EP seems like the top choice here.

666d6a5ba06bfRocketMan

666d6a5ba0736
Time to crush them into the game!

At least it isn't zap cola!

...although that would explain a few things about ZB, given that it's made of battery acid.

666d6a5ba0860ZylonBane

666d6a5ba08bc
Argh. It seems that of the explosions SS2 actually uses, only one is on this CD. Although SS2's explosions are so low-res and posterized that it can be hard to tell.

666d6a5ba0a42ZylonBane

666d6a5ba0a96
It's pretty clear that some of the walls in the levels were placed just to keep the scene complexity down to what 1999 video cards could handle. Been thinking of knocking some of them down. For example, that big wall in the middle of the rec deck garden.

Before:

After:

Maybe it's just me, but without the wall this area feels so much more right. The whole point of the garden is to be spacious and relaxing, after all.

666d6a5ba0c8eRocketMan

666d6a5ba0ce7
I dunno if that was a technical decision.  The wall seems like it's trying to compartmentalize the space vs open concept.   Doesn't feel as private/cozy this way.  There are architectural layouts that employ that sort of walk-around-the-corner entrance.

On the other hand the wall they did put there has a very boring texture on it.  Could totally be dressed up.
Acknowledged by 2 members: JML, hemebond
666d6a5ba0ef7
It does look better without the wall, definitely. Would it be possible to put some sort of leafy climbing plants on the left wall too, to give the illusion that climbing plants had been allowed to grow there too? We (the player) would probably have to imagine the thin metal trellis' holding the plants up, of course). And if such a room, on-board a space ship, intended to give a little illusion of nature, when in long-term space flight, did exist, then I think the designers would have used more natural colours for the walls than grey and maroon, maybe different shades of green? And maybe the ceiling would be light blue, instead of maroon, to simulate Earth's sky.

RocketMan, you make a good point, but I do prefer it more open and larger. I think a smaller space would be counter to the intention of making it feel like a place where nature is in control.

666d6a5ba0facZylonBane

666d6a5ba0ffb
SS2 doesn't have any wall-covering plant textures. I suppose we could steal some from Thief.

666d6a5ba10a4voodoo47

666d6a5ba10f4
that feels like maybe overdoing things a bit.
666d6a5ba124d
Tear down this wall! ~ Ronald Reagan

666d6a5ba15ffRocketMan

666d6a5ba1657
RocketMan, you make a good point, but I do prefer it more open and larger. I think a smaller space would be counter to the intention of making it feel like a place where nature is in control.

You are in good company.  I think most people prefer open-concept.  I'm an old thinker and like my little boxes.  I'm right at home with the 10000 yen/night singles in the Shinjuku hotel.  No square inch.. scuse me..square cm of space goes unused.  Just don't fart and sneeze at the same time while climbing over your bed to get to the TV or you'll tear a hole in the space-time continuum.
666d6a5ba1806
Somebody needs to draw this. Including the sneezefart ripping a hole in the space-time continuum!

666d6a5ba18f1RocketMan

666d6a5ba193f
Perhaps a candidate for the replacement paintings ZB is looking for in the other thread. 

Man fart-sneezes a wormhole, climbing over bed in Japanese hotel

EDIT:

I decided to donate my artistic skills to the cause

[Untitled.png expired]
« Last Edit: 30. March 2020, 22:20:30 by RocketMan »
666d6a5ba1a31
How I wish now it would've been left to my imagination.

666d6a5ba1acfZylonBane

666d6a5ba1b1d
This will all be in his stash soon.

666d6a5ba1d1eZylonBane

666d6a5ba1d70
I just realized that, using a script, it would probably be possible to change the weapon degrade rate depending on the difficulty level. Anyone think this would be a good idea? For example, give Easy difficulty a much lower degrade rate.

666d6a5ba1e57voodoo47

666d6a5ba1eb4
seeing a LPer giving up a few days ago because of the guns just falling apart all the time, yes, something like automatically halving the degrade rate on easy/normal would probably be a good idea.

and perhaps make the objects with difficulty permit settings not explode, but just be hidden while at it (allowing to properly switch between difficulty levels on the fly with no negative consequences).

666d6a5ba2206RoSoDude

666d6a5ba226d
Easy only please, my first playthrough was on SCP Normal and the degradation rate was perfect for me. It's an essential component of the gameplay, you shouldn't gut it unless the player is explicitly opting into that experience (Easy difficulty). I'd leave it entirely unchanged on the other difficulties, no scaling at all.

666d6a5ba2518ZylonBane

666d6a5ba2570
and perhaps make the objects with difficulty permit settings not explode, but just be hidden while at it (allowing to properly switch between difficulty levels on the fly with no negative consequences).
Difficulty processing is handled by the engine. This could be done, but it would require replacing difficulty permit/destroy on every object that uses it with a custom script.
666d6a5ba297c
I just realized that, using a script, it would probably be possible to change the weapon degrade rate depending on the difficulty level. Anyone think this would be a good idea? For example, give Easy difficulty a much lower degrade rate.
I'm against it in SCP. I think it's a core balancing element of the game and if people are not up to the task they can either quit it (they would get frustrated at other things anyway), or install a SCP-minimod with that functionality. I would say don't let it keep you from fixing other stuff first, and if you, for whatever reason, like to do it, then do it as a minimod. If it's a minimod I'd say not to scale it to difficulty, but make it a flat -50% degradation if activated. Isn't there also a "No Degradation" mod already?
Acknowledged by: RoSoDude

666d6a5ba348esarge945

666d6a5ba34f6

I'm against it in SCP. I think it's a core balancing element of the game and if people are not up to the task they can either quit it (they would get frustrated at other things anyway), or install a SCP-minimod with that functionality. I would say don't let it keep you from fixing other stuff first, and if you, for whatever reason, like to do it, then do it as a minimod. If it's a minimod I'd say not to scale it to difficulty, but make it a flat -50% degradation if activated. Isn't there also a "No Degradation" mod already?

It's possible to remove degradation completely in the config file, no mod is needed, but having it more configurable (half rate, quarter rate, or even double rate for masochists etc) would be useful. I agree with this take, but not for the same reasons. I do think their degredation is over the top. But I like the possible choice of having customised degredation rates for any difficulty, choosable by the player, so I agree this would be a good minimod (or a collection of minimods). Is there an "official unofficial SCP minimods" list? I think there was one floating around here before.

Something similar with the enemy respawn rates would be good too. Personally, I find the respawn rates to be a little too high, borderline ridiculous sometimes, but at the same time, turning it off in the config file makes the game barren and empty. I also much prefer the way Prey 2017 handles respawning - an area can be cleared and will often stay clear (with maybe a few enemies respawning), but will usually respawn entirely when the player makes major progress, such as completing a major objective. Having respawn rate minimods could help out too I think.

It's pretty clear that some of the walls in the levels were placed just to keep the scene complexity down to what 1999 video cards could handle. Been thinking of knocking some of them down. For example, that big wall in the middle of the rec deck garden.

Before:

After:

Maybe it's just me, but without the wall this area feels so much more right. The whole point of the garden is to be spacious and relaxing, after all.

I really like the layout of this. I would absolutely call for it to be integrated into SCP. I like some of the other suggestions such as more plants and wall plants, but I also agree this is potentially out of scope. I sort of wish someone would make a "more stuff" submod of SCP4, which adds more plants, but also adds more things in other areas where it would make sense (basically random misc items etc to tables, make the place look a bit more lived in and less barren), since computers are significantly more powerful now.

seeing a LPer giving up a few days ago because of the guns just falling apart all the time, yes, something like automatically halving the degrade rate on easy/normal would probably be a good idea.

What are difficulty permit settings? I don't get this personally.

666d6a5ba363bvoodoo47

666d6a5ba368b
basically, some objects are set to self-destruct on certain difficulty levels. so if you play on normal, you will have a few more security panels available, for example. if you play on hard, they will get removed, but if you switch to normal once they are gone, you are not getting them back. bit messy, and wouldn't mind seeing that not happen.
1 Guest is here.
I've always hated Amber!
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
666d6a5ba91c8