663aedf10da6a

663aedf10df3e
1 Guest is here.

Topic: Is this SS2 mod setup correct? Read 1296 times  

663aedf10e64b
It's been a while since I've re-installed System Shock 2 and added some of the newer mods, but I've done it now, so can someone cast their eyes over the enclosed screenshot, please, and check that the mods are in a workable order.

Thanks.

663aedf10e7b8voodoo47

663aedf10e82c
wormblend does not work, don't use it. apart from that, nothing suspicious. maybe stasis trap extensions? what is being extended, and why plural? is this the stasis trap mod with some unknown extras?

663aedf10eb42Chandlermaki

663aedf10eba5
Should be totally fine. In my experience, as long as SCP is activated first, followed by the object fixes and SHTUP-ND, the order of the other stuff doesn't matter too much unless you're trying to mix graphical mods (combining RocketMan's weapons with Tacticool's, for example, in which case whichever you prefer should take priority), or there are DML conflicts.

wormblend does not work, don't use it. apart from that, nothing suspicious.

Also this.
663aedf10f03b
wormblend does not work, don't use it. apart from that, nothing suspicious. maybe stasis trap extensions? what is being extended, and why plural? is this the stasis trap mod with some unknown extras?

Wormblend has now been banished, thanks. Yes, the Stasis mod is Stasis Trap, somehow I must have renamed it - I was copying and renaming various files from an older backup hard drive at the time.

Should be totally fine. In my experience, as long as SCP is activated first, followed by the object fixes and SHTUP-ND, the order of the other stuff doesn't matter too much unless you're trying to mix graphical mods (combining RocketMan's weapons with Tacticool's, for example, in which case whichever you prefer should take priority), or there are DML conflicts.

Also this.

I don't follow you, sorry. You say "...as long as SCP is activated first...", but since SCP is the last in the list, then surely it would be the last to be activated? Or does the order list work in reverses, so that, in my example, SCP is loaded first, then obj fixes, then SHTUP, then Vurt's SS2 WormPod, then Vurt-Goo-(GrubPodVanilla-1.04), etc?

663aedf10f107voodoo47

663aedf10f150
that isn't really an experience, that is a very intentional bit of reality - SCP (or any other gamesys/mission mod) needs to have the lowest priority, Fixed Objects should follow, with SHTUP next. for the rest the priorities don't really matter, it's just a question of how neat you want to be.

663aedf10f70csarge945

663aedf10f765
Anyone using Rebirth has an incorrect load order in my view.

Actually seriously though, If you're going to use Quest Note Notifier, you should check out Hud Logs as well, they go well together to modernise the game's UI

Also AlyaMod and Zygo's are both ancient, I don't think either of them really work with a lot of mods (as many modern DML mods require SCP). I know they are deactivated, so they won't affect your actual game, but if you're interested in that sort of gameplay, consider dropping Zygo's for my Randomiser instead, since it's a much more modern (and compatible) approach to the problem (hey, can't blame me for shilling my own stuff). It's unfortunate that many of the features of Alyamod never made it into other mods, though, and it's largely unusable now in my view because of what SCP and modern mods can do.

I don't follow you, sorry. You say "...as long as SCP is activated first...", but since SCP is the last in the list, then surely it would be the last to be activated? Or does the order list work in reverses, so that, in my example, SCP is loaded first, then obj fixes, then SHTUP, then Vurt's SS2 WormPod, then Vurt-Goo-(GrubPodVanilla-1.04), etc?

Most mod-managers (ie Vortex, Nexus Mod Manager, a few others) for other games work from top-to-bottom priority wise - the top of the list is loaded first. Most people who have modded games like New Vegas or Skyrim are experienced with this. SS2BMM works from bottom-to-top instead, so the mods at the bottom are loaded first, moving upwards. It can be a little confusing for some people who are used to modding other games.
« Last Edit: 17. March 2023, 02:57:21 by sarge945 »
663aedf10fddf
Anyone using Rebirth has an incorrect load order in my view.

Actually seriously though, If you're going to use Quest Note Notifier, you should check out Hud Logs as well, they go well together to modernise the game's UI

I was put off the SS2 HUD Logs mod because of your bug report in the mod's thread. Is there any way to prevent the bug from occurring when using the mod?

Also AlyaMod and Zygo's are both ancient, I don't think either of them really work with a lot of mods (as many modern DML mods require SCP). I know they are deactivated, so they won't affect your actual game, but if you're interested in that sort of gameplay, consider dropping Zygo's for my Randomiser instead, since it's a much more modern (and compatible) approach to the problem (hey, can't blame me for shilling my own stuff). It's unfortunate that many of the features of Alyamod never made it into other mods, though, and it's largely unusable now in my view because of what SCP and modern mods can do.

I will swap the Zygo randomizer for yours, thanks.

Edit: Is your randomizer compatible with SCP? I can't find any mention of SCP in your mod's page (https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=12152.msg145182#msg145182).

Most mod-managers (ie Vortex, Nexus Mod Manager, a few others) for other games work from top-to-bottom priority wise - the top of the list is loaded first. Most people who have modded games like New Vegas or Skyrim are experienced with this. SS2BMM works from bottom-to-top instead, so the mods at the bottom are loaded first, moving upwards. It can be a little confusing for some people who are used to modding other games.

Oh, I see. It was a little puzzling, thanks.
« Last Edit: 17. March 2023, 17:41:09 by JDoran »

663aedf10ffd1voodoo47

663aedf11004d
it's like in a prison, whoever is on top has more say than who's at the bottom. don't drop your soap!

663aedf110488ZylonBane

663aedf1104e5
I was put off the SS2 HUD Logs mod because of your bug report in the mod's thread. Is there any way to prevent the bug from occurring when using the mod?
The fact that he's the only person who's reported that bug might should have mitigated your decision making here.
663aedf11079a
The fact that he's the only person who's reported that bug might should have mitigated your decision making here.

OK, I will add HUD Logs to the mods, thanks.

But are Sarge's randomizer and SCP mutually exclusive, or can they work together?

663aedf1109adChandlermaki

663aedf1109ff
OK, I will add HUD Logs to the mods, thanks.

But are Sarge's randomizer and SCP mutually exclusive, or can they work together?

They work together.

663aedf110ab0voodoo47

663aedf110afe
the mod's dmls are set up to load if SCP is detected, so I'd say yes.
663aedf110bab
Understood. Thanks, everyone.
Acknowledged by: Chandlermaki

663aedf111513sarge945

663aedf11156b

The Autoplay version works fine and the standard version still works for emails, but not logs. Many others haven't had any issues at all. Since there's a high likelyhood you might not even have any issues at all, I'd recommend at least giving it a try. I don't expect to see a fix anytime soon since it might just be some weirdness on my end, since nobody else is reporting issues. The issue seems to relate to not being able to find the relevant bitmaps for logs, which makes me think something is very fucked with my install. The log images are there in the actual logs as well.

I will swap the Zygo randomizer for yours, thanks.

Edit: Is your randomizer compatible with SCP? I can't find any mention of SCP in your mod's page (https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=12152.msg145182#msg145182).

Yes, it's designed with SCP in mind.

Oh, I see. It was a little puzzling, thanks.

Yeah it confused me the first time I used it. I feel like this disparity should be explained somewhere.
« Last Edit: 18. March 2023, 06:42:09 by sarge945 »

663aedf1118f2ZylonBane

663aedf11194e
The Autoplay version works fine and the standard version still works for emails, but not logs.
Uh, what do you think the standard version is supposed to do with logs?

663aedf111be6sarge945

663aedf111c38
Uh, what do you think the standard version is supposed to do with logs?

Right, well the autoplay version shows Log portraits when it autoplays them. The standard version shows nothing while logs are playing.

I just went and re-examined the mod page and uhh...yeah, it says it only displays for emails. Damn.

That combined with the random ss2 log error I was getting and....yeah, it looks bugged even though I guess it's technically not.

Is it not possible to display anything when you manually play a log? I guess there's no way to detect if you're playing one.

I will amend my bug report.

663aedf111d1eZylonBane

663aedf111d67
Playing an email does not generate any messages that scripts can listen for. That's why when you pick up a log containing a code, the code is added to your notes immediately instead of after you've read it.

The "autoplay" version of HUD Logs cheats around this by forcing logs to play when you pick them up. Picking up an object is something that scripts can detect.

663aedf111f7fsarge945

663aedf111fd2
Playing an email does not generate any messages that scripts can listen for. That's why when you pick up a log containing a code, the code is added to your notes immediately instead of after you've read it.

The "autoplay" version of HUD Logs cheats around this by forcing logs to play when you pick them up. Picking up an object is something that scripts can detect.

That's a good explanation, thanks.
1 Guest is here.
Hey, you cant afford a potion! I'm outta here...
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
663aedf1120e4