66473b605b44d

66473b605ba2c
1 Guest is here.

Topic: Night Dive Twitch Streams
Page: « 1 [2] 3 ... 30 »
Read 50940 times  

66473b605c336ZylonBane

66473b605c397
Given that there's little point in having fine control over rotating yourself in a game where you're basically a sphere firing shots from the centre and not some kind of Descent spacecraft, there's no reason why cyberspace couldn't work like swimming with a basic control scheme that doesn't require extra keys. (crouch to descend, jump to ascend, I believe it worked like this since late 90s FPS)
The critical difference is that swimming levels have an inherent "up" that the player can orient to, while SS1's cyberspace tunnels do not. This was discussed at length back when CCP was still alive. Cyberspace has no visual cues for which way you're facing. I want to enter a tunnel-- do I press forward, ascend, or descend?
66473b605c510
Ascend/descend can be relative to your current rotation, in the same way strafe left/right would be.

eh it would just demand going full descent with proper roll control.

66473b605c5d5ZylonBane

66473b605c628
It would probably work for each area to have a default orientation, so as soon as you enter it the engine automatically rotates the player to the local "up" for that room.

66473b605c948ThiefsieFool

66473b605c999
I'd pretty much just treat it as normal swimming again, meaning up is as far as the camera will let you look up.

I know it sounds sacrilegious, but we're probably looking at cyberspace becoming a much smaller and puzzle-like part of the game, this would be one way to keep it mostly the same and allow some extra complexity in the mechanics now that the controls are easier to work with.
As an example, while playing Prey in zero gravity areas, being upside down didn't do much of anything, it was immersive somewhat given the context, but your weapons worked the same way, objects like switches could be interacted with in the same way, enemies didn't care about your roll degrees either, it didn't really do anything to change the game and you could even allow yourself to never adjust it since going through the transitions obviously "fixed it" for you.

66473b605cab6JosiahJack

66473b605cb03
Up?  There isn't any up in cyberspace.  There is simply referencial up relative to the camera orientation.  Also, there isn't a limit to how far you can look "up" either.  Or "down".  There is no up in space, cyber or not.

66473b605cd94ZylonBane

66473b605cde4
I'd pretty much just treat it as normal swimming again, meaning up is as far as the camera will let you look up.
Thrashing your camera view around to determine your current orientation would be terrible gameplay. Actual swimming provides a visual indication of your orientation. Cyberspace does not.

66473b605d158unn_atropos

66473b605d1a8
°facecam

Dev - System Shock - Daniel Grayshon - 04.30.2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9503rwKwEw

Get a look in to level building with deck 7!

---
Notes by Iceman
* A look into level building of deck 7
* 1 to 1 recreations of the original SS1 levels is impossible in Unreal as paper-thin walls is un-doable in the engine.
* Showing of maintenance level. 13:20
* Has the original SS1 up for point of reference
* Later has some work on engineering
* Stephen joins the chat. 0:56:00.
* With Night Dive all employees work 100% from home.
* More source port info will hopefully be made available soon.
* Stephen chats about how he got his start in the games industry and worked his way up - 1:14:00
* How many people working at Night Dive - 15-16 + temporary contractors
* Will Night dive do any original IP games - Yes. In the future. Likely spiritual successors when IP cannot be acquired.
* Still not sure on how to do cyberspace
* Will the voice actor for Diego be coming back to do logs - Hopefully. Good chance of this happening.
* Background music in this one has a very SS1-ish kinda sound to it.
* Another play of Medical. 2:07:00. More switches and props added in. Some new lights added in.
« Last Edit: 16. August 2018, 21:32:38 by unn_atropos »

66473b605e8eeThiefsieFool

66473b605e967
Up?  There isn't any up in cyberspace.  There is simply referencial up relative to the camera orientation.  Also, there isn't a limit to how far you can look "up" either.  Or "down".  There is no up in space, cyber or not.

I'm telling how it could work, now how it worked before.

Thrashing your camera view around to determine your current orientation would be terrible gameplay. Actual swimming provides a visual indication of your orientation. Cyberspace does not.

You really don't need much beyond either the floor or the ceiling of the virtual space being recognizable in some way, whether it's a texturing style or something else.

66473b605eaefunn_atropos

66473b605eb44
°facecam
Dev - System Shock - Stephen Kick - 04.27.2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfUou60fNp0

More Virus Mutant with CEO Stephen Kick!

---
Notes by Iceman
5th video (Stephen Kick - 04.27.2018):

* More more done on the virus mutant
* Night Dive has been suffering from trademark snipers, sniping trademarks.
* This video I'd put a NSFW warning on, due to a large portion of the mutant work focusing on a particular body part. Much hilarity ensues.
« Last Edit: 16. August 2018, 21:33:58 by unn_atropos »

66473b605ecc0unn_atropos

66473b605ed0e
°facecam
Dev - System Shock - Daniel Grayshon - 05.7.2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLnO7ofagPQ

Get a look in to level building with deck 7 once again!

---
Notes by Iceman

Video 6: Daniel Grayshon - 05.7.2018

* More work on Deck 7
* 6:25 - Showcases his work on the Reactor level
* 0:36:00 - Stephen joins.
* No offense to Daniel, but this ones a bit boring. If your to watch this one, have it running while your doing something else.
* 0:59:00 - Carly joins
* Complaints about not having SS2 source code.
* Stephen's not a fan of the mimic's in Prey.
« Last Edit: 16. August 2018, 21:37:42 by unn_atropos »

66473b605edabZylonBane

66473b605edf5
Are any of these streams actually interesting? I tried watching one, and it was 95% distracted mumbling.
66473b605ef46
Why are they building the levels multiple times?

66473b605f079icemann

66473b605f0c7
Fuck me, those are long videos. 2 hours 22 mins is far too long. Mind my french.

And this is the only way we're going to find out how the projects going? Gah :(. Why we could not get everything summed up in text form via KS updates, that you'd get through reading in 10-15 mins is beyond me.

66473b605f20aJosiahJack

66473b605f259
You guys are funny.  "Video please!"  "Ahh your video is too long! I want text."

I do agree...why rebuild the level when I already did...TSSHP already did (well kinda)...when it can be imported from the original...etc. etc. 

If it's a permission thing, Hey Night Dive! Please feel free to use my stuff!  I have a .map format of the whole game, and a .blend which can easily be converted, and separate files for each level as .blends as well.  Credit me if you like for the conversion or whatever, but LGS gets the real credit.  Could save them a lot of time.  Oh well if they don't.  I'm sure others would help too.
66473b605f65b
°facecam
Dev - System Shock - Daniel Grayshon - 05.7.2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLnO7ofagPQ

Random Spyro the Dragon music playing throughout much of the vid?

Well, it is catchy and addictive. Just struck me as odd since System Shock is being streamed, as is level design being blocked out, and finally with Spyro music on top.

66473b605f822unn_atropos

66473b605f874
°facecam

Dev - System Shock - Daniel Grayshon - 05.12.2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiVB-M7w8bc

Take a look in to some more level design!

---
Notes by Iceman

Video 7 - Daniel Grayshon - 5.12.2018

* Work on reactor level
* Lots of Q&A
* The updated source code has been held back as the person handling that has uni stuff going on, so will be back onto it after that.
* 1:05:00 - A first for these streams where even with the difficulty and combat set to zero that he keeps nearly dying in SS1 due to the reactor radiation. Which makes blocking out that bit difficult.
* Reactor level 100% finished with blocking out by the end
* Levels remaining for block out completion - 9
« Last Edit: 16. August 2018, 21:38:49 by unn_atropos »
66473b605fa05
Take a look in to some more level design!

Meh.

66473b605fbefunn_atropos

66473b605fc42
°facecam
Dev - System Shock - Daniel Grayshon - 05.14.2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJcDEfQG4SA

Get a look in to level building with deck 7 once again!

---
Notes by Iceman

Video 8 - Daniel Grayshon - 05.14.2018

* More work on Deck 7 (Engineering)
* 0:10:00 discussion about Dert's level editor
* Stephen joins - 0:33:00
* Are the audio logs getting re-recorded - Yes. Some completely new ones using backer recordings also.
* Mutant models - Still not finished due to some needed changes
* Percentage for blockmapping completed game wide - 70%
* Apparently someone setup their home security system to use System Shock sound effects - That's pretty damn awesome :).
* Their name for their level editor is "System Shock Editor"
* Daniel's opinion of dromed - Crap, but good for it's time.
* Any SS3 news - Nope
* Current roadmap - Backer alpha by September followed by beta.
* Cyberspace - Still unknown
« Last Edit: 16. August 2018, 21:39:47 by unn_atropos »

66473b605fcfdJosiahJack

66473b605fd52
Looks a bit gray.  I wonder how long until it looks like this...
66473b605ff7e
Oh, the days when level design meant a (semi-) complex sprawl, that required the player to mentally construct parts of the level in their brain to help them navigate from points A to B (well, some people might have depended purely on the auto-map in games that provided it, but most people pictured it in their brains).

If System Shock had been originally created in 2018, then it's entire game map would be more like:

A >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> B

With every ">" being an automatic save point, every third or fourth ">" being a cut-scene, and possibly the ">>>> B" being digital only paid DLC.

It's no wonder I mainly play older games.
Acknowledged by 2 members: JosiahJack, Join

66473b6060074unn_atropos

66473b60600c1
°facecam
Dev - System Shock - Stephen Kick - 05.18.2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dVQ146UKDs

Zbrush and Q&A w/ CEO Stephen Kick.

66473b606018bicemann

66473b60601d9
Where is this orchestral version of the SS2 OST that is mentioned in the stream to have been released? I'd love to have a listen of that.

66473b606045bicemann

66473b60604ab
So I'm giving a listen with occasional watchings of one of these videos a try. Watching the most recent one. Random notes as I watch/listen to it:

* Much of it is just rambling with the female in the background praising Stephen a fair bit.

* You don't see much in the way of level stuff until pretty far into the video as most of it is just Stephen drawing a 2D image, and later delving into showcasing the mutant model design + working on it. Design look good. This one looks quite similar to the original unlike much of the concept art I've seen of other enemies.

* The Q&A bits are interesting, and he shows a bit of the ice breaker guide from his boxed copy of the original SS1. The designs he shows of the hopper from it I'd not seen before. Some good little tid bits of info. He talks about doing a remake of SS2 later on, but getting another company to do it. I'm not a fan of that.

* The background music sounds good. A nice D&B track plays around 33:00. Join Uss, you'd likely like that one. Fits with the theme of many of the tracks you linked in that other music thread. Much of the background music in the video is quite good. Nothing that'll be in-game, but just BGM for the video.

* Stephen talks about his life briefly at different points + introduces his mother and later his dog. Nice bits to see, to give a bit more background on him as a person outside of games dev.

* It appears that all the work on the game is done from home (or in the video it is). I wonder if that's how all the remaining people working on this are doing their work. That's some real indie stuff, if that's the case. I've always done my best work from home.

* These videos are best for watching when you have A LOT of time spare, so that you can just sit back and listen whilst your browsing the net, posting on forums etc etc.

* dertseha's level editor gets a mention at 1:13:00. Though Stephen incorrectly states that the level editor was created thanks to the Mac source release. Dert's level editor came out LONG before that.

* Gameplay showcasing - 2:03:00

* New keypads look great.

66473b606063bSynaesthesia

• Company: Night Dive Studios
66473b606068c
>* It appears that all the work on the game is done from home (or in the video it is). I wonder if that's how all the remaining people working on this are doing their work. That's some real indie stuff, if that's the case. I've always done my best work from home.

We all work from home. The game is being developed with people from all over the world. :)
1 Guest is here.
You might rekindle a lost love. Or make a new one.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
66473b6060787