663873e8eb375
1 Guest is here.

Topic: [Obsolete] SS2 Community Patch (SCP) Beta 3
Page: « 1 ... 4 [5]
Read 95682 times  

663873e8ebf56voodoo47

Re: SS2 Community Patch (SCP) Beta 3
663873e8ec00a
I think destroying security cameras should set off the alarm. As it is, the cameras are somewhat trivial considering how easy they are to destroy. They have very little impact on the gameplay.
changing game mechanics is currently out of scope, but this might be doable as a dml minimod.

663873e8ec1e7ZylonBane

663873e8ec272
I'd actually experimented with that once, by slapping a script on the camera archetype to send out an alert message when destroyed. Of course it wasn't that easy. Turns out when you do that, if you get spotted, then destroy the camera, you end up with TWO alerts going simultaneously.

I'm sure it can be done correctly with some more elaborate scripting. I'd consider also making them hackable to be an essential component of such a mod.

663873e8ec6a4RocketMan

663873e8ec700
It's too bad you can't pipe the camera vision to a display screen like SS1 could do.  That would provide a real incentive for hacking the security system. 

663873e8ec7ccZylonBane

663873e8ec840
I think that sounds more useful than it actually would be.
Acknowledged by 2 members: Marvin, Hikari

663873e8ec90eRocketMan

663873e8ec95d
Perhaps you're right.  I can think of a couple places where this would be handy in the game but may not have been worth the trouble for the devs to code in.
663873e8ecab9
Have you guys ever considered tweaking the cost of some of the psi powers? I'm currently playing a psi build for the first time, and some of the abilities are ridiculously overpowered imo.

The Recharge ability in particular should be more expensive to use. Being able to fully recharge my energy weapons and implants for just 3 psi points doesn't seem right.
Acknowledged by: ThiefsieFool

663873e8ecb9dZylonBane

663873e8ecbf3
Absolutely not. That wouldn't just be an isolated tweak like an OS upgrade bonus, that would be a complete system rebalance.

And since this is the first time I've ever heard anyone complain about Recharge being overpowered, I'm assuming it isn't a common opinion.

663873e8eccf9voodoo47

663873e8ecd76
to be fair, people considering the psi system unbalanced as a whole is fairly common. I personally wouldn't mind a tweak or two (swapping a few disciplines around, for example), but I don't think I'll be poking into this particular can of worms any time soon.

certainly not before I'm done poking into all the piles of worms, that is.
663873e8ed1e1
Absolutely not. That wouldn't just be an isolated tweak like an OS upgrade bonus, that would be a complete system rebalance.

And since this is the first time I've ever heard anyone complain about Recharge being overpowered, I'm assuming it isn't a common opinion.

Sure bud... if you say so. ;)
Acknowledged by: ThiefsieFool

663873e8ed29bMagmarock

663873e8ed2f3
I can't seem to get it to work. I'm using the gog version 2.6 ND

663873e8ed3b0voodoo47

663873e8ed3fd
follow the guide.
663873e8ed895
Perhaps you're right.  I can think of a couple places where this would be handy in the game but may not have been worth the trouble for the devs to code in.

It's true that it probably wouldn't be too useful, but it would add to the immersion. Duke Nukem 3D was the first FPS to do this (that I know of*) and it was great for atmosphere, even though it did show off another limitation of the DN3D engine, in that because the cameras tended to move, and enemies were often caught on camera, then the panning of the camera's view would make it even clearer than normal that the enemies were simply 2D sprites, as you could see the sprites rotate on the spot as the graphics engine worked to show only the 2D sprites in spacial relation to the camera's viewpoint.

I would like to see viewscreens in suitable security areas. And more cameras too, in more realistic areas (i.e. cameras placed in areas where if the ship was real, cameras would be placed for security). Offhand, I'd say destroying a camera should send enemies to investigate, but you can hack cameras not at the camera itself, but at a security nexus point, which would be where the viewscreen would also be located.

663873e8ededaThiefsieFool

663873e8edf3a
Offhand, I'd say destroying a camera should send enemies to investigate, but you can hack cameras not at the camera itself, but at a security nexus point, which would be where the viewscreen would also be located.

I don't think we can have viewscreens even now, the tech just isn't there, other than that I agree that shooting out a camera should spawn something but not trigger a full security alert as that's too much especially if the camera was destroyed by collateral damage, d0om iirc had created a mod in the early 2000s where destroying cameras had a full alert effect.
In Secmod only one enemy is spawned to investigate after camera destruction, and only sometimes to keep things tense, this is a pretty old feature.

The idea about hacking cameras separately from the camera is intriguing and would perhaps save you some tedium, but it's a bit too similar to hacking security panels. (permanent stun of all cameras only vs. temporary stun of all cameras+turrets)

663873e8ee05bFrission

663873e8ee0b3
Well I can't figure out the easter egg either, and I've been trying for a while. It's been long enough we can dispense with the cat and mouse hinting about it, can someone just tell me how to access it please? Would be even better if someone's posted a video about getting to it.

663873e8ee17cFrission

663873e8ee1cc
....and just when I was about to give up, I found it. xD Groovy indeed.
Acknowledged by: ZylonBane

663873e8ee725RoSoDude

663873e8ee780
I think destroying security cameras should set off the alarm. As it is, the cameras are somewhat trivial considering how easy they are to destroy. They have very little impact on the gameplay.

Seconding a request for this as a SCP minimod. SCP + Repairman + Alarming Cameras addresses most of the (major) balance concerns I have with vanilla, and I'd happily recommend that combo to anyone.
Acknowledged by: Vegoraptor
663873e8eeaa8
Seconding a request for this as a SCP minimod. SCP + Repairman + Alarming Cameras addresses most of the (major) balance concerns I have with vanilla, and I'd happily recommend that combo to anyone.

Thirded!
1 Guest is here.
This is not how we planned it_But we've gotten ahead of ourselves
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
663873e8eebfb