66491435429be

Page: « 1 2 [3] 4 ... 7 »
6649143542f0a
1 Guest is here.

Topic: SS2Tool questions
Read 17035 times  

664914354353e
I can only tell you that I experienced dozens of cases where any kind of compatibility mode would keep the game from running. Even with the same symptoms you describe. And while I understand that in your case the game won't even start in normal mode, it's not like the compatibility mode fixed it for you either.

As for the black screen problem: I don't have a solution for you. Sorry to say. Try to tinker a bit yourself and watch the threads I linked above.
I don't have that crash so I can't test anything. But if any of you comes up with a solution I'll happily put it in the Technical FAQ thread.
664914354366a
oh... I need DDfix aswell, Right il report back with my results after i get DDfix! :D
Updated to version 2.5

Changes:
- changed "Hyper Threading fix" description -> "MultiCore Processor Fix"
- Improved install.cfg file for finding resources more reliably (resname_base .\+.\RES)
- DirectPlay8 wrapper by Tos included
- Copies/Replaces user.bnd/user2.bnd (fixes quicksave overwriting and broken use/shoot mode problem)
- Includes Widescreen Mod by Weak-ling
- Includes DDfix by Timeslip
« Last Edit: 01. October 2008, 22:57:14 by Kolya »
6649143543d81
So Tos' wrapper, the widescreen mod and the DDfix are automatically installed with predefined settings? Maybe you could make it possible for the user to type in the desired resolution (DDfix, widescreen mod), thus applying the correct settings.
6649143543e6f
Have you used the SS2Tool, Marv?
664914354407c
I noticed two problems during testing (well actually I wanted to play secmod but anyway).

1. While the SS2Tool copies over a perfectly working user2.bnd to remedy the broken use/shoot mode problem, the game screws up this file entry again on first start. I will probably have to edit the default keybinds, in hopes that's where the game pulls its changes from.

2. For some reason the DDfix GUI doesn't write the resolution to cam.cfg on a fresh game and therefor leaves the game hanging after the first load screen. The game writes out 640 480 then but that of course doesn't work in most cases. On DDfix's next startup it complains about the mismatching resolutions and THEN it rewrites it.
Edit:
Okay, I know what's happening here: DDfix assumes there is a resolution line in cam.cfg to start with.
But on a freshly installed ORIGINAL game there is no resolution line in cam.cfg that could be replaced! (Unlike the HOTU version.) So DDfix never rewrites the line.
That's easy to fix though: I'll just write some resolution to cam.cfg myself which ddfix can change later.
On a sidenote: the Widescreen mod does exactly the same.
« Last Edit: 01. October 2008, 23:09:39 by Kolya »
Updated to version 2.6

As indicated above there were a few problems, so this is a bug-fix release.

- DDfix and the Widescreen Mod now work on a freshly installed original SS2 game.
- The Widescreen Mod used to throw an error on first use because of a missing log file. This is fixed now.
- ALL keybind files the game ships with + user.bnd and user2.bnd are now fixed against quicksave overwriting and the broken use/shoot mode problem. Additional save/reload keys are Insert and Delete. Changing keybinds may still screw the use/shoot mode but I haven't managed to produce that yet. In any case it works from the start now.
66491435444f2
Have you used the SS2Tool, Marv?
Nope, not the new version at least. Why? Does it already have that option?
The implementation of the Widescreen Mod and DDfix is simple. The SS2Tool copies over the necessary files and starts the according GUI to let you choose the resolution etc. It does one thing better than these fixes: It can deal with a situation where no resolution has been set before, like in a new original installation.
66491435448c4
The implementation of the Widescreen Mod and DDfix is simple. The SS2Tool copies over the necessary files and starts the according GUI to let you choose the resolution etc. It does one thing better than these fixes: It can deal with a situation where no resolution has been set before, like in a new original installation.
Should have tried that damn thing before posting ...

Righty right then.
66491435449b4
I too am having the black screen problem Jenzu had, after installing and trying everything.
6649143544a83
You're using the latest version?
6649143544ccc
I too am having the black screen problem Jenzu had, after installing and trying everything.
Strange, a friend of mine reports the exact same problem (SS2-Tool 2.6, Athlon 3200+, GeForce 7800 GS Forceware 169.04 ).

€dit: He seems to have solved it by starting shock2.exe with -lgntforce. That's the second time I noticed this to work.
« Last Edit: 04. October 2008, 20:19:17 by Marvin »
6649143544e2a
Hi!
I got the game / videos working just great, but i got a different problem.
Whenever in the game i use my inventory and try to move objects in there, the character only hits with his wrench.
Its impossible to move or read any logs while in game. Its like the inventory is responding to my commands but things in it are not.

Have anyone else experienced issues like these?
664914354504a
Haha, the broken use/shoot mode problem really is rather common. I'd hoped to fix it with this version of the SS2Tool but maybe you changed your keybinds lateron?

66491435450fbBarbach

I had this problem recently, I'll try to reinstall and check if it's fixed or not

664914354525eneoendedsmith

66491435452ad
Koyla, I had some problems with "Shadow Dithering" and after applying the latest DDFix v.1.3.11 (after 4 hours of trouble-shooting) it was finally fixed...can you apply the latest DDFix to your wonderful SS2Tool whenever is convenient for you.  I'd hate to think others out there are having the same problems as I was but don't know how to fix it...

BTW, my system config is:
-XP SP3 32-Bit
-NVIDIA GeForce 8700M GT and v.175.32 Drivers

Thank you for everything you've done for us Koyla!!
66491435453eb
The SS2Tool is using the latest version of DDFix (1.3.11).
I just did a file by file comparison, it's still exactly the same as the latest that can be downloaded from Timeslip's site.
The SS2Tool simply copies these files to your game directory and then starts the DDFix GUI. Not much could go wrong with this I think.
Did you use the exact same settings each time?

66491435456eeneoendedsmith

664914354573d
The SS2Tool is using the latest version of DDFix (1.3.11).
I just did a file by file comparison, it's still exactly the same as the latest that can be downloaded from Timeslip's site.
The SS2Tool simply copies these files to your game directory and then starts the DDFix GUI. Not much could go wrong with this I think.
Did you use the exact same settings each time?

The GUI won't ever work for me since I don't have .NET Framework installed...but I just got it working using the "Manual" method from "TimeSlip's" readme file.  I just found all this out...and now I know why it didn't install DDFix for me...there's no post that informs anyone that they should have .NET v.2.0 installed before they run SS2Tool v.2.6 in order to install the DDFix GUI automatically...the DarkWidescreen mod also didn't install automatically for me, so I did that manually also.  I'm sorry I confused you...and thanks for getting back to me.  Could you include .NET v.2.0 information in the main post so that people will know this from now on?

Thank you Koyla.
The info that you need NET 2.0 has been there all the time, right next to the point "DDfix", in the first post.
I guess I could add it to the description in the installer as well.

6649143545a98neoendedsmith

6649143545ae7
The info that you need NET 2.0 has been there all the time, right next to the point "DDfix", in the first post.
I guess I could add it to the description in the installer as well.

I apologize Koyla, I see the note about .NET now...I ALWAYS strive to read any and all documentation so that I don't waste the time of website admins or techs with anything I do, and I missed it.  I just started playing System Shock 2 again (the first time on XP) and I've read just about every post on this whole forum so that I don't waste anyone's time.

May I suggest that a "description in the installer" might be useful for someone who accidentally overlooks important info, as I did.  Only "IMHO" though.

Thank you as always Koyla.
1 Guest is here.
It's NEW - have you got the message Chum!
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6649143545bc9