663abc377d34e

663abc377d983
2 Guests are here.

Topic: SS2 TF's Secmod 3
Page: « 1 ... 44 [45] 46 »
Read 132392 times  

663abc377e2f2sarge945

663abc377e370
It mainly happens on medsci1 and rick1, where the origin points are inside the map.

For every other map, they usually have air rooms like they are supposed to.

There's also an audible sound when using the recharger, because it creates an invisible object.

Honestly though, I think this particular issue can be resolved by making the grenade launcher HasRefs be false when it's not being actively needed.

663abc377e72eThiefsieFool

663abc377e799
I got a little curious why it's often said that the mod has greatly increased spawn rates.
To my knowledge all the ecologies have default spawn rates and no extra ecologies were added.

There is some script code on the base archetype, for spawning things when a camera is destroyed, but it should not trigger more than once.

Ecology:
NVRelayTrapOn="CameraDed"; NVRelayTrapTOn="TurnOn"; NVRelayTrapTDest="&SwitchLink";
Security Camera:
NVRelayTrapOn="Slain"; NVRelayTrapTOn="CameraDed"; NVRelayTrapTDest="&SwitchLink";

The one special case that comes to mind is what happens when you solve the wire puzzle inside the tram, a lot of monsters can spawn if you take too long, it's a case where normal vanilla spawns can actually be pretty annoying, so maybe that ecology should be adjusted.
It would definitely be nice if there was a trick to quickly check which objects differ from vanilla.

663abc377e8a1ThiefsieFool

663abc377e918
Also like voodoo mentioned, some levels might have been saved after editing, unfortunate but it is what it is, I think it's the case with Rick1 as I remember working to fix that one https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=12399.msg150328#msg150328

663abc377ecf1sarge945

663abc377ed44
The one special case that comes to mind is what happens when you solve the wire puzzle inside the tram, a lot of monsters can spawn if you take too long, it's a case where normal vanilla spawns can actually be pretty annoying, so maybe that ecology should be adjusted.

Absolutely not.

I know I've been vocal in the past about not being a fan of Secmod, but one of the highlights of it for me has been solving that puzzle under duress.

It's very rare for the vanilla game to actually induce urgency like that, and having it enforced here is a very refreshing change.

Some of the wire puzzles in other areas can be a bit tedious and feel like they are wasting my time, but this one is perfect and if it were up to me I'd leave it completely as it is for that reason.

On a related note, I've noticed all of the wire puzzles have preset solutions. Would there be a way to randomise these? From what I understand, squirrel runs OnBeginScript after NVScript has already done it's thing, so depending on how the wire puzzles work, it may or may not be possible to squirrel a solution.
663abc377eefc
For what it's worth, Sarge, I've not encountered that grenade launcher issue a single time. I am sure that isn't helpful to you in any capacity but just figured I'd help you narrow things down.

RE: wire puzzles -- not a fan. Would love an addon to remove them/replace them with something else. What that might be, I don't know, but there it is. No offense to TF, of course.

EDIT: actually would just rather the wire puzzles be replaced by hackable pads.

663abc377efb7sarge945

663abc377f00e
I don't particularly like them either, except the tram one, which is amazing.

The grenade launcher sometimes requires you to walk over it before it appears, are you sure you did that?
663abc377f2d0
sarge945I am fairly sure I have done that; I am a pretty thorough explorer and so probably would've walked over that area you posted, *and* have been using Secmod 3 since release and I am fairly sure I would've noticed the issue you describe. By no means a scientific analysis but I think the source is more likely to lie with you, also given the lack of reports of the issue.
663abc377f4c1
This is a tiny issue I've had with Secmod for some years, but... what is the easiest way I might replace the door button/switch textures with the vanilla one?

663abc377f5cdvoodoo47

663abc377f619
find the customized texture in Secmod's obj/txt16 folder and rename/delete it.
Acknowledged by: Joe

663abc377f7d4notaavatar

663abc377f82c
I got an idea for exotic psi playthrough it would be cool if you can turn the rifle grenades into hand grenades with the tinker trait some how if you don't wanna use the GL. Maybe you can improve HG though. It feels kind of like F.e.a.r. with the grenades but they kinda suck... but it seems like a easy modification to turn a rifle grenade into a hand grenade.

663abc377f95dnotaavatar

663abc377f9b4
if they had some contact det with the tinker trait and a bit better physics it would be pretty rad. you would still need to be pretty close so its not the ideal substitute. make it scale with exotic skill >_>

663abc377fa68notaavatar

663abc377facc
another idea is a hotkey to use a battery to reload your energy weapon in inventory

663abc377fb8dnotaavatar

663abc377fbe1
and a way to hotkey more spells from the psi amp so you can play psi better. or some soft casting menu you can bring up with a mouse key

663abc377fcf5notaavatar

663abc377fd4a
another issue I have is with the flame thrower.

Did anyone figure out how to use this thing effectively?  The ammo is sparse. The ammo is expensive. At level 3 heavy, if you buy napalm, the damage compared to lvl 3 grenades is not worth it.

I feel like converting napalm to fire grenades with templates is a way better strategy then trying to use napalm. You set a large group on fire from a distance.

Did anyone find a use for it?

663abc377fe09notaavatar

663abc377fe69
for fusion cannon, its weak, but if you don't go standard, and recycle all the ammo, you can buy alot of radium prisms. works with energy

663abc377ff13voodoo47

663abc377ff67
maybe consider registering so you would be able to edit your posts.

663abc3780090ThiefsieFool

663abc37800fb
I explained how the flamer works right here: https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=7153.msg141166#msg141166
But I'm not totally opposed to giving it a buff, so long as it keeps the same identity, which is a more tactical weapon than a point and click and uberkill weapon.

663abc3780208notaavatar

663abc378026c
I tried that and I guess its OK vs something like cyborg assassins that are throwing stars but maybe the problem is the GFX because it does seem its better when used on the floor, but it basically looks like someone instantly dying from some puny flame that might light your pants on fire, or sometimes it looks like someone is taking damage from nothing.

I guess its more efficient then grenades when tested on medsci hybrid pack too.

663abc3780566notaavatar

663abc37805c0
I got another fun idea, how about more template grenades, that use organs, to make exotic grenades, with tinker trait?

some ideas for organ things:
-a homing grenade kinda like a shot from the worm cannon
-a grenade that works like psi mind control, perhaps brezerk instead of freindly, so they attack whomever is nearby for a short duration. side effects seem fun so like a 5% chance you get a 200% speed enraged rumbler, or even if enemies get psi powers from it
-some kinda gas grenade.. to make it different how about it decreases damage taken by enemy but does no damage
-swarm grenade
-these grenades can do some side effects too like spawn some angry worms from corpse too (% chance)

the transfer rate does not need to be 1:1 to balance this idea

other tinkers:
-be able to modify bullets using chemicals so you can turn them into the type you want at a loss, i.e. standard to AP with some tough element
-bond portable battery to template to make some kinda large AOE stun grenade (super expensive IMO, batteries are rare, and quite useful)
-some kind of homing bullets like that movie Runaway. maybe a repair tool could do this mod to make a small quantity?
-spider grenade. mix hand grenade (or scrambler) with some item to make it into a spider grenade that has IFF and runs up to enemies. IMO this grenade is so damn useless. not enough ambushes in the game either to make it worth while. Should do more damage too

It would be cool to get tinker from first OS upgrade station. I find that some other choices are SO appealing that its hard to make that choice.

I also want more bosses and ambushes! I loved the psi rumbler in recreation.

some random ideas
1) robot showdown in cafeteria on dec 4. you get attacked by 1 wimpy bot. how about getting attacked by a small army, or some kinda enhanced bot, perhaps with high speed. this area is so under used. thought it would be epic but its not.
2)  in deck five, after you clear the apartments a buncha hybrids break the glass and jump down from the upper hallway from previously locked apartment.
3) make the korenchkin psi reaver meaner. it could move faster, or spawn in some enemies with a psi power

663abc3780679notaavatar

663abc37806d6
I am excited to try lvl 7 cryokinisis + flame thrower

663abc3780792notaavatar

663abc37807e5
also, prox grenades can be used for tram puzzle. rando puzzles could make heavy weapons more appealing because you could lay prox mine traps for the harder ones.

663abc3780949notaavatar

663abc37809ae
Ah I was watching startrek TOS "arena" and I see where maybe the inspiration for the prism grenade came about, it reminds me of the mortar kirk used.

That prism grenade is interesting, combination between stasis gun and grenade. I need to try a heavy first playthrough. I thought it was kind of weak considering
1) you can get stasis generator from the box in eng
2) the stun is short

Kind of wonder how it would turn out if you put your templates into prism grenades, and skip the stasis gun in inventory. There should be enough prisms for fusion cannon use still even if you turn all the templates into prisms

then you have radioactive prism grenades vs radioactive prisms in fusion cannon or radioactive prisms in stasis field generator. Not sure how that will work out

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

Look at you, hacker: a ____ creature of meat and bone!  (Fill in the missing word):
2 Guests are here.
I've never been so electronically-excited!
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
663abc3780b19