663abb4c73256

663abb4c73760
1 Guest is here.

Topic: I need to know what are these files for Read 1902 times  

663abb4c73e8akyojinmaru

663abb4c73ef1
Hi, I'm making my own SS2 backup, and when I make a game backup, I tend to clean and reorganise all the files. If someone knows, I need to know what some of the files are for.

allobjs.osm -> I guess this is game scripts, but is the game really using them?
metaui_r.res -> I think this is only used by game editor.
shkres.res -> Same as avobe.
skeldata.res -> Same as avobe.
texture.res -> Same as avobe.

Currently, my game folder looks like this:
Code: [Select]
cam.cfg
cam_ext.cfg
ffmpeg.dll
fmsel.dll
install.cfg
ir41_32.dll
ir50_32.dll
lgvid.dll
openal32.dll
shock.bnd
shock.cfg
shock2.exe
user.bnd
wrap_oal.dll

.\binds
cfga0000.bnd
cfga0001.bnd
cfgb0000.bnd
cfgb0001.bnd

.\data
command1.mis
command1.mis.dml
command2.mis
command2.mis.dml
earth.mis
earth.mis.dml
eng1.mis
eng1.mis.dml
eng2.mis
eng2.mis.dml
gamesys.dml
hydro1.mis
hydro1.mis.dml
hydro2.mis
hydro2.mis.dml
hydro3.mis
hydro3.mis.dml
many.mis
many.mis.dml
medsci1.mis
medsci1.mis.dml
medsci2.mis
medsci2.mis.dml
ops1.mis
ops1.mis.dml
ops2.mis
ops2.mis.dml
ops3.mis
ops3.mis.dml
ops4.mis
ops4.mis.dml
rec1.mis
rec1.mis.dml
rec2.mis
rec2.mis.dml
rec3.mis
rec3.mis.dml
rick1.mis
rick1.mis.dml
rick2.mis
rick2.mis.dml
rick3.mis
rick3.mis.dml
shock2.gam
shock2.gam.dml
shodan.mis
shodan.mis.dml
station.mis
station.mis.dml

.\data\movies
credits.avi
cs1.avi
cs2.avi
cs3.avi
intro.avi
landing.avi
shuttle1.avi
shuttle2.avi
shuttle3.avi
starport.avi

.\data\resources
bitmap.crf
book.crf
fam.crf
fonts.crf
iface.crf
intrface.crf
mesh.crf
metaui_r.res
motiondb.bin
motions.crf
obj.crf
objicon.crf
pal.crf
shkres.res
skeldata.res
snd.crf
snd2.crf
song.crf
strings.crf
texture.res

.\data\scripts
allobjs.osm
nvscript.osm
script-ss2.osm
Works like a charm, with all the SS2Tool fixes.

663abb4c740bcvoodoo47

663abb4c7411b
reminded me of an old win9x era joke - a guy calls customer support, "noticed my windows folder is a mess, so I've cleaned it up, all dll files into one folder, all cab files into one folder etc, and now my computer doesn't work". translation: doing what you are trying to do is a bad idea.

anyway, I think the res files are indeed used just by the editor, but I'm very sure that allobjs.osm (the scripts) is an essential part of the game and deleting it would break the game completely. also pretty sure you have already broken your game, you can't just move things around and expect them to work.
663abb4c74277
Clean out the SS2ToolSyncBackup folder. The game should be ~550MB then (without mods/FMs). With 7zip it will compress to ~360MB. That should be small enough for archiving.
As for "cleaning up", SS2Tool does that in Perfect Mode, better than you ever will.

663abb4c74387kyojinmaru

663abb4c743d9
Game isn't broken, I can assure you that, is just a matter of knowing what you're doing. I always do this when I make a game backup, and all my games work flawlessly. DLLs and stuff aren't some kind of deity you can't touch, but again, you must know how windows works.

If you want to know some stuff, patch_ext isn't even needed, the files inside it can be placed on their respectibes CRFs, and the DML can be loaded from the load_path folder. MIS.DML and OSM files can be placed in any folder you want, you just need to write the path in the install.cfg file. Dx and msv DLLs, are common libraries, Win7 has them in system folder, so these aren't needed. 7zip DLL isn't even referenced in game's EXE. INI files aren't needed if you ain't going to use debug or mods. If SS2Tool does things the way it does, is just for conveniences sake.

663abb4c7449cvoodoo47

663abb4c744e6
yeah, edits are necessary, and it's easy to mess them up, hence the tool that does that for you. so you are kind of reinventing the wheel here, but if you are having fun, then sure, go ahead and have as much of it as you can.

the 7zip dll is needed by the mod manager and FMselect.
663abb4c745be
You could really use that energy for something more productive than to save a few bytes. If at all. Since some of your assumptions look like blind alleys.

663abb4c74881kyojinmaru

663abb4c748dc
yeah, edits are necessary, and it's easy to mess them up, hence the tool that does that for you. so you are kind of reinventing the wheel here, but if you are having fun, then sure, go ahead and have as much of it as you can.

the 7zip dll is needed by the mod manager and FMselect.
I'm not having fun, I'm just organizing things the way I want, not the way a tool wants. By your tone, this should be a bad thing, but it doesn't matter, I have my answer and I can go. Thanks.
663abb4c749d4
Keep up the fight against the machine, man.

663abb4c74a89kyojinmaru

663abb4c74ada
I will, noob :thumb:

Ooooooh, some guy does things he wants to do, but I don't understand it and I think it isn't necessary. Let's bash him!!!

Another No Mutants Allowed full of nerds.

663abb4c74b9dvoodoo47

663abb4c74bf0
-_-

it's the exact opposite, actually - as I like to say, life is too short to not be doing things you like or want. so if it's something you want or like to do, you should. don't just assume things, especially not here.

663abb4c74d58ZylonBane

663abb4c74da5
The notion that the automated tools already do everything that needs to be done is just killing you, isn't it?

Must... be... special... optimized... snowflake...
663abb4c750e9
You can delete wrap_oal.dll and openal32.dll since the game also runs without hardware sound. As you can simply watch the movies outside of the game with a movie player, ffmpeg.dll, lgvid.dll, ir41_32.dll and ir50_32.dll can be removed, too. BND files are not needed, you can simply create a new layout on startup. Seriously, do some research, your installation is cluttered with useless files! And on top of that, by deleting 7z.dll, you made FMsel useless so of course you don't need fmsel.dll.

Jesus Christ, my mum could create a SS2 install with a smaller folder size. You're embarrassing yourself.
663abb4c7542d
I will, noob :thumb:

Ooooooh, some guy does things he wants to do, but I don't understand it and I think it isn't necessary. Let's bash him!!!

Another No Mutants Allowed full of nerds.
I get it. SS2Tool is just some program to you, whose workings seem opaque, so you think you can probably do it better yourself. But what it actually does is give you the accumulation of many people's knowledge who have spent more than a decade making this game work better than it ever did on modern systems.

It's not that I mind you screwing around in your game, in fact I think it's cool that you are trying to figure stuff out. But it's that assumption of yours that you are probably smarter than everyone else here and can show us a few tricks how to "clean up" the game that makes you sound like some unsolicited Hoover salesman who goes around our house and vacuums the cat (full of icky hair) and the baby (useless and dirty) and the flower pots (dirt, dirt, dirt!).
Do whatever you want with your game. You're also free to ask some questions (why is the cat full of hair? why is the baby smothered in tomato sauce? why do you keep buckets of dirt in the house?). But keep those clean up tips to yourself until you have spent a few years reading and learning.

663abb4c754d7voodoo47

663abb4c7550a
also, did you know that crf files themselves are a bit messy? models and textures with typos that are not loading, redundant resources that are not being used anywhere..

663abb4c755eakyojinmaru

663abb4c75633
SS2Tool only does what noobs need to know, nothing more. Convenient and practical, but messy for people who gives a shit about file structure. I don't want you to understand it, the only person that needs to understand this, is me, that's enough, because I don't give a shit about your comodity. You guys can't understand that some people want to do things the way they want, that's what are killing you all, and I enjoy it.

Admin, please, you can proced to delete this thtead and ban my account. Thanks.

663abb4c756b7voodoo47

663abb4c756ff
have fun with your file structure.
663abb4c7586a
Aggressive, smartass and asking for help, but being offended when enlightened. Let me guess: male, 15 years old and American?
« Last Edit: 26. November 2016, 17:25:15 by Colonel SFF »

663abb4c75906ZylonBane

663abb4c7594e
Please, when it comes to obnoxious teenagers, Americans have nothing on Eastern Europeans.

But no, this guy is from Spain.

663abb4c75cd0chickenhead

663abb4c75d27
Aggressive, smartass and asking for help, but being offended when enlightened. Let me guess: male, 15 years old and American?
Despite being part of that demographic, I wholeheartedly agree.

But no, this guy is from Spain.
Not entirely sure if you have special moderator privileges or if you did some other tech wizardry, but that terrifies me.
« Last Edit: 26. November 2016, 20:01:11 by chickenhead »
663abb4c75fce
Not entirely sure if you have special moderator privileges or if you did some other tech wizardry, but that terrifies me.
Your IP gets logged by the server, so unless you're using a VPN or proxy connection, finding out your country of origin is trivial.

663abb4c7606dchickenhead

663abb4c760ba
well, now  to spend 8+ hours researching this.
« Last Edit: 26. November 2016, 23:34:19 by chickenhead »
663abb4c76362
also, did you know that crf files themselves are a bit messy? models and textures with typos that are not loading, redundant resources that are not being used anywhere..

Yeah, dealing with just the files and ignoring the content of the resource archives is just the top thin layer of this "optimization" he wants to achieve.

Also, the current structure which is being provided by Steam and GOG (with help of SS2Tool) is the most optimized way of having the game ready for modding. If someone creates a mod or fan-mission he/she assumes that everyone has exact version of the game, even with all unused trash left in crf files.

So, if that guy wants to rebuild the folder structure for educational purpose or fun, it's ok. But telling others that this is the way the game should be presented is kinda weird. Me - not agree.
1 Guest is here.
die Wahnvorstellungen eines Heimkehrers von den Weltkriegs-Schlachtfeldern des Kontinents
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
663abb4c79496