6649e96f16001

6649e96f164d4
1 Guest is here.

Topic: SS2 Game does not start (video problem) Read 42981 times  

6649e96f16a46XP/ATI Radeon problems?

6649e96f16aaf
Hey ppl. Long time since I've been in here now.

A few things:
I wanted to play Systems Shock 2 again, after a long time.

I followed the instructions like so many times before, 1-3, with no problems.

Since my copy of SS2 is at my registered living address, and not the place where I am currently studying, I only have with me a ISO-image of my copy on my second HHD (which is legal, before everyone jumps the "criminal, criminal"-bandwagon).

While this image is mounted with Deamon Tools, and I try to start the game with the default sshock2.exe, I get this message:
"Please insert the correct CD-ROM, select OK, and restart the application" (which is normal)

I DO have a NOCD .exe that I use to play the game, but this is no longer working:
When I use this instead of the default .exe, I get the standard Windows XP error message:
"This application has a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for any inconvenience."
 :scratch:

And I think the problem could derive from me playing the game on Windows XP, though I never had a problem with this before.

I used to have a nVidia GeForce card, but now I have switched computers and have a ATI Radeon 9200 SE. Could this be the problem?

6649e96f16b6dStill version 1

6649e96f16bbd
^^^^^^

Another thing I've noticed:
The sshock2.exe is still version 1.0.0.0., even after I've used Kolyas Tool to patch the game.

6649e96f16f71The Brain

6649e96f16fcb
^^^^^^

Another thing I've noticed:
The sshock2.exe is still version 1.0.0.0., even after I've used Kolyas Tool to patch the game.

Take a look for Product version-field in version tab at file properties dialog. It should be 2.3.

6649e96f1710eNameless Voice

6649e96f17199
Does the crash happens as soon as you try to run the game?
If so, it's probably not finding required resources.
Check that the paths in your install.cfg are correct.
Have you tried reinstalling the game?
6649e96f17411
Take a look for Product version-field in version tab at file properties dialog. It should be 2.3.

Yeah, I know. It says 1.0.0.0 :(
6649e96f17654
Does the crash happens as soon as you try to run the game?
If so, it's probably not finding required resources.
Check that the paths in your install.cfg are correct.
Have you tried reinstalling the game?

Yeah, I even removed everything regarding the game and patches in Windows Registry.
Still, the same thing happens...
6649e96f1777d
^^^^
Sorry about not being logged in on the other two posts.

install.cfg reads:

cd_path F:\
install_path C:\games\Sshock2
language english
resname_base .+.\RES+F:\shock
load_path C:\games\Sshock2+F:\shock
script_module_path C:\games\Sshock2+F:\shock
movie_path C:\games\Sshock2\cutscenes+F:\shock\cutscenes

6649e96f178dfmiracle.flame

6649e96f1790b
I have a suspision it may be problems with playing logo videos which is common if you have badly set ffdshow filter.

Let's test it. Find file cam.cfg in your SHOCK2 dir and edit it with notepad for example. Add line "skip_intro" without quotes at the end of the file..just under all other lines..save and close. Now run shock2.exe. You should be brought directly into main menu. If that happens it is a good sign. Now when you click on CREDITS or INTRO and the game crashes the same way it is even better sign. Report back and I'll tell you more about solving your problem.

update:
If you are Czech and have problems understanding in English I'll explain in Slovak.
6649e96f17c63
I have a suspision it may be problems with playing logo videos which is common if you have badly set ffdshow filter.

Let's test it. Find file cam.cfg in your SHOCK2 dir and edit it with notepad for example. Add line "skip_intro" without quotes at the end of the file..just under all other lines..save and close. Now run shock2.exe. You should be brought directly into main menu. If that happens it is a good sign. Now when you click on CREDITS or INTRO and the game crashes the same way it is even better sign. Report back and I'll tell you more about solving your problem.

update:
If you are Czech and have problems understanding in English I'll explain in Slovak.

SPOT ON!!!! :)

I tried everything you said, and everything happens just as you have described it.

Added the line skip_intro and I got to the game menu.
Tried the Credits and Intro, and the game crashed the same way.

Waiting in excitement :)

Not Czech btw, English is fine.

6649e96f17f23miracle.flame

6649e96f17f75
Okay I'll give you two alternatives but there are probably more.

First try this and if that fails, try the second. If you use K-lite codec pack go Start->Programs->K-lite codec pack->Configuration->ffdshow video decoder (or somewhere there). If you have it you may skip next paragraph.

If you can't find configure shortcut for ffdshow you'll have to do it manually. Find file ffdshow.ax wherever it happens to be on your drive. In command prompt set yourself to directory containing the file. Then enter this in command prompt "rundll32.exe ffdshow.ax,configure" without quotes.

If you are in ffdshow video DECODING configuration enter "codecs" setting which is topmost in left panel. In main window there should be many video formats. Find INDEO formats and click in middle column (on libavcodec) and set it to "disabled". Apply changes and try ss2. I can't guarantee it'll work because that can depend on many other factors. If it still doesn't work consider it fine experience. :)

Warning!:
This alternative involves uninstalling all your codecs and installing one neat and professional codec pack K-Lite Mega Codec Pack which you can find on site here for example. If you don't like it, don't do it. I take no responsibility for anything unpleasant you may feel about this. But I have only the best experiences with this particular codec pack IF I don't mess with DEFAULT setting moreso when I'm not absolutely sure what I'm doing.

So download latest K-Lite Mega Codec Pack and run setup. The installation should automatically promt you to uninstall any codecs or codec packs or older K-lite that it detects on your system. Let it uninstall all. Then continue the installation and at profile selection choose DEFAULT. Don't alter anything.. You may check additional ACM and VFW codecs you wish to use with your favourite video editing software, however. Intall and that's it. That should fix your problems.
6649e96f180ac
Ok, I did not have the K-Lite Mega installed, so I downloaded and installed it with no problems :)

I then changed the indeo2 and indeo3 (all I could find) and changed the middle column for these ones to "disabled", and pressed apply, and ok.

I then doubleclicked the sshock2.exe.

I still get the same error, if I do not have "skip_intro" written in the cam.cfg file :(
6649e96f18221
Rename the file LGVID.AX in your SS2 folder to something else. Then you should be able to play without videos though.
Please check the SS2 videos/cutscenes guide.
6649e96f184cd
Rename the file LGVID.AX in your SS2 folder to something else. Then you should be able to play without videos though.
Please check the SS2 videos/cutscenes guide.

I renamed it and the game starts up, without the cutscenes. I also read through the cutscenes guide, downloaded the .bat file.

Ran the .bat and then the .exe - game starts wihtout the cutscenes, and when i press new game, the game quits, and I get the same Windows XP error message.

I tried to press the link with the 22mb cutscenes, but it seems the site is not hosting the files anymore?

Seems I will have to use HOTU to solve this...
6649e96f185ea
I just put up a torrent of the HOTU videos as I also noticed the download was dead.

Did you receive the message "DllRegisterServer in module c:\your\path\to\SS2\LGVID.AX suceeded." when running the bat?
Before you run the .bat file you have to rename LGVID.AX back of course. Renaming LGVID.AX is only done for testing purposes. Or for playing without videos.
6649e96f186d2
Did not get the message when i ran the bat-file, no.

Yeah, I renamed it back before running the bat-file.

Will check out the torrent for the cutscenes.
6649e96f187b3
Aye. I'm splitting this topic off from the FAQ now ... and move it to General Discussion.
6649e96f189e8
Aye. I'm splitting this topic off from the FAQ now ... and move it to General Discussion.

Yeah, sorry about that. I'll get back to you guys when I have downloaded the cutscenes torrent.
6649e96f18ae3
No problem. And yeah, I'd be interested to know if it worked out.
6649e96f18bd5
I have now uninstalled everything and deleted all associated reg.keys.

I will try the underdog one for comparison.

Will your ss2tool v.2.3 work on the HOTU version, Kolya?
6649e96f18cc7
So the videos did not work for you?
See the end of the SS2 Tool posting.
6649e96f18dae
No, they didn't.

Seems like things are working with the HOTU version though. I'll try to game with that version for now. Thanks everyone! :)

6649e96f18f31
Looks like Mod Manager is not compatible with the HOTU version.

Back to the previous installation method and version then...
1. K_Lite Mega Codec Pack is now installed, before SS" install.
2. SS2 cd mounted with Daemon Tools.
3. Installed game, Full install, to c:\sshock2
3b. Got a message from my Spybot - Search and Destroy Tea Timer during install, that a value has been added (GrpConv.exe). Pressed "Allow change", and installation continues.
3c. Chose "Do not install Direct X".
3d. Chose Do not register.

4. Doubleclicked Kolya's ss2tools v.2.3 - chose only patching, before clicking next. Installed to the correct c:\sshock2 (default)
5. Installed MM to c:\sshock2 (default)
6. Tried the version 2.3 sshock.exe, get the cd-rom error
7. Applied NoCd-exe
8. Get the windows xp error message.
9. Ran the indeo.bat
10. Tried the game again, same error.
11. BAcked up the original cutscenes, and replaced the cutscenes with the HOTU cutscenes downloaded with the help of Kolya's torrent.
12. Tried the game again, same error.
6649e96f1901f
When I doubleclick the sshock.exe now, XP automatically minimizes it to the windows bottom tool bar.
If I alt-tab or click the tab, it works :)

Anyone know of a fix to avoid XP to minimize it?
6649e96f19157
Seems the mod manager did not see it fit to apply changes for Rebirth, SHTUP, and Straylight.
Gamed 'till I saw the robot in the Marine training centre, isn't he supposed to be modelled like a soldier or something, with Rebirth activated?

Sorry for the troll-like behaviour, I'll shut up a bit.

EDIT: Confused Arcade Redux with Rebirth. Great. Sorry guys. I'll whip myself, before I go to sleep tonight.
1 Guest is here.
toots: Term of endearment roughly equivalent to baby. Note: Only applicable if you live in a black and white movie.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6649e96f19253