664a5e2738fe8

664a5e2739533
1 Guest is here.

664a5e2739b26ZylonBane

664a5e2739b8a
Man, that really makes me wish they'd post the entire sketchbook.

Interesting how much more detailed the chemical cannisters were supposed to be.

664a5e2739f05unn_atropos

664a5e2739f6b
Nice sketches!
I have a german game magazin somewhere(don't know where exactly^^) and it features an interview with Ken Levine.
Asked why they made the "stupid" many levels, Levine explaines that there first was the plan to make a mission on the outer hull, but that the programmer "meant to have a better idea with the many level".(And he also says that the many levels are stupid^^)
I think this is a more printable version then admitting that it was to complicated to be made.

Included to the interview also was a sketch of a character in a big space suit(a bit like the one on irrationalgames.com) and it was explained, that the first version of the draft had no Shodan in it, but the main character was called Esper or similiar.
664a5e273a183
Yeah the first story ideas revolved around sending someone to a space station where a Colonel had gone crazy. (http://irrationalgames.com/insider/what-might-have-been/)
Then EA suggested to Levine to use the System Shock IP which he gladly accepted and rewrote the script.

Think you could scan that article?

664a5e273a76aunn_atropos

664a5e273a7cc
Sureley.
here it is, directly from my basement where the spiders from System shock 2 enjoy their pension :paranoid:
"You have a bunch of great ideas, and then you toss them overboard" Ken Levine about gamedesign, System Shock and the errors of Looking Glass

GameStar: Ken, which was your first computer game

Ken Levine: An ancient Star Trek game on the mainframe at my sisters college. There was no screen, only a printer. I printed out the whole game history, took it with me and read it again and again for years.

GameStar: How did you get into the gaming industry?

Ken Levine: Being 30 years old and still hanging around lazy, I had to do something with my life. So I applied to Looking Glass- and was hired as a designer. After a few years, me and two other persons went on to found Irrational Games. We wanted to have more freedom and a bigger challenge.

GameStar: Looking Glass was shut down in 2000. What went wrong?

Ken Levine: My former company was very ambitious, and normaly that kind is either rich or almost broke. The guys wanted to do their thing - that made them awesome and their business so troublesome. At the end there were massive finanial problems, especially after Terra Nova flopped; the company never recovered from this.

GameStar: Did you gain knowledge for your own company Irrational Games from this?

Ken Levine: Sure, Irrational Games is only half as big as Looking Glass and we don't intend to grow much further. We are very cautious in negotiation with business partners and don't go into technological risks.

GameStar: Despite lavishly reviews System Shock 2 only sold moderately. How come?

Ken Levine: Who knows? Maybe it was to complicated. Maybe one of System Shock 2 problems was, that the player is served the game depth right at the beginning. Even in complex games like Civilisation you start with one or two units. The more difficult elements are introduced step by step, in order not to confuse or to overtax. We didn't get that quite right in System Shock 2.

GameStar: Why did you includ ethis stupid organic levels?

Ken Levine: That's right. They are stupid. But I can't take all the resposibility for System Shock 2 on myself. Originally this mission was supposed to take place on the outer hull of the ship. But then there were intensive discussions with our main programmer, who considered to have this better idea. His version made it into the final game. But alright, I'm to blame partially.

GameStar: Which phase of design did you like best?

Ken Levine: The beginning- less mistakes were made. It is guaranteed that huge problems result from your design ideas, that you never even considered. We wanted to include much more commands into Freedom Force, but we quickly noticed that this would overtax the players. In the beginning, you have a great bunch of great ideas, which you will throw overboard on after the other.

GameStar: Is there anything in the game industry that you would like to change?

Ken Levine
: I wished that more titles get a chance. For original ideas, it is often hard to make a breakthrough on the market. A lot of designers get their only orientation from popular programms that are in at the time.

GameStar: Will Shodan be back?

Ken Levine: What's System Shock without Shodan? That would be like Star Wars without Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker.

Shock reduced:
First think up, then slim down: Ken's painful Design experience can be demonstrated with System Shock in a dazzling manner. The successor to the cult classic was called just Shock for several months, because Irrational Games had started to work without the official license. later on, Electronic arts got in as a publisher and contributed the name rights. That's why the vicious supercomputer Shodan is missing in the first design draft, instead the hero (later anonymous) had the friendly name Esper. According to Alpha-Plan the cruiser "von Braun" was supposed to have lush 16 decks - only half of these made it into the final game. Also, exciting Psi abilities, like seeing into the future and forcing will ointo the enemys, were dropped by the team. Ken took this cutbacks to his ideas with ease: "We realized the project with so little time and money that I'm surprised that anything made it into the game!" The chunky spacesuit, one of the first concept drawings, isn't one of them.
« Last Edit: 20. June 2017, 17:14:10 by unn_atropos »
664a5e273a9e5
"Esper" is the name of the computer system in the film Blade Runner which Deckard uses to analyse a photo.

664a5e273aaa7unn_atropos

664a5e273aaf2
Just found some more concept art on the page of Michael Swiderek who made textures, objects, the package cover etc for the game. He also has drafts of Delacroix and Grassi there. http://michael.swiderek.net/main.html
« Last Edit: 17. September 2014, 20:24:45 by unn_atropos »
664a5e273abd5
Yeah, he made some nice textures and the loading screen and logo too, which are just great.

Much like in Thief the menu artwork felt somewhat detached from the rest of the game though.

664a5e273ac88Nu Zalem

664a5e273acd1
I saw that a couple of days ago. That is some pretty neat stuff there. Swiderek's Delacroix is hot  :). Also, the security bot sketch reminds me of that robot in Sting Chameleon's stage (from Megaman X) that you have to kill to get the armor upgrade.

664a5e273adcaunn_atropos

664a5e273ae16
I guess old blueprints can also be called sketches?!
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33525
These are two early versions of hydroponics. For your orientation: the elevator is at the buttom, right about in the middle. The large octagon above is the hall with the xerxes display.
There are some rooms and details that didn't make it into the final game.
664a5e273b0f7
Good find atropos! And so appropriate that you found it, as our house blue print maker. :D

Some additional information to go with it: These blueprints were created by gamedesigner Michael Ryan who also created the Dojo level.
Quote by Michael Ryan:
i was on the team during the last nine months of the development cycle, working primarily on the 'hydroponics' and 'shodan' levels. i also had a hand in the development of the earth and station levels seen during character generation. i constructed most of the architecture, textured and lit them. nate wells and dorian hart later picked them up and polished them before ship, adding the virtual training areas that teach the player how to interact with game objects. i thought the earth areas looked pretty cool and would liked to have seen more of them in the game.

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and ____!  (Fill in the missing word):
1 Guest is here.
She was seen as something like SHODAN’s secret police; brutal and intelligent enough to interrogate people
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
664a5e273b20e