66330cb573e9e

66330cb5744ec
1 Guest is here.

Topic: SS1 Proper Logs Read 74337 times  

66330cb574cc2
Tags: °SS1 mod

Since version 1.0 SYSTEMSHOCK-Portable contains this mod.

Before neither the 'terse' nor the full text options showed the exact text as heard in the CD version of System Shock. This mod (originally by Gigaquad) syncs the texts with the audio heard from logs, emails and traps. As discussed on TTLG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfH_XKz9yLw

DOS, SSEE Classic (SHLink), and Shockolate source port - backup your original CYBSTRNG.RES and CITALOG.RES (found in \SSHOCK\RES\DATA\), and replace them with the new files from the archive. Make sure messages are set to "Both" in Audio options for the text to show. Logs and e-mails only have normal length text available, so don't choose terse text length.

SSEE Source Port - extract the properlogs folder from the archive to your %APPDATA%\Nightdive Studios\System Shock EE\mods\ folder, use the built in mod loader to activate.

As of v1.06 of this mod, masculine references to SHODAN have been removed from the few emails and logs that had them (both audio and text).

SS1_text.7z is the original mod, use that if you don't care about the modified audio (to install, replace your CYBSTRNG.RES after backing up the original file).
« Last Edit: 20. February 2023, 10:22:17 by Moderator »

66330cb574e79Darknat

Re: SS1 Gigaquad Enhanced log texts mod
66330cb574edf
Hey, you know of the tools necessary to extract and pack the text again? I want to do a spanish translation of the game and it would help a lot if anyone already got the tools.

I know there is a text extractor somewhere on this forum, but it doesn't work with this RES file, which is the one I want to translate so it has the same text as the logs. Also, I would need to repack the text again so it works with the game.

I would ask on the TTLG forums, but it seems I can't reply to posts or send private messages even after activating my account.
66330cb575024
I just added a whole slew of editing tools for System Shock I had lying around here. I hope you find some of these useful. It's entirely possible Gigaquad used Hex-Editing to do his translation though. Keep that in mind.

66330cb5750e4Darknat

66330cb575131
Thanks a lot. I'm gonna check them right now :)

Gigaquad said in the post that he had the "neccesary tools" so I assume he did it without an hex editor.
66330cb575228
It might be worth contacting him then. Also note the transcript from his thread that I also added in the first post now. Should be quite helpful for a translation.

66330cb5752c9Gigaquad

66330cb575315
I have the program, but it's really bad, only meant for myself. I'll see what I can do to improve it a bit. Do you intend to translate everything or just the logs?

66330cb575428Darknat

66330cb575478
Well, I intend to translate everything on the cybstrings.res file. Descriptions of objects, logs and menus.

I also tried to check out how the cybstrings.res file worked so I could make my own program, but I don't know what the last bytes of the file are for (just after the index that directs you to the specific part where a certain text is stored.

Anyway, if your program works, that would be great to have.

I checked the programs Kolya posted on the other post, but they are more focused on graphics than text (which eventually would be something I also need cos I have to check if the font files contain the ñ or not)

Thanks a lot for your help :)

66330cb575589Gigaquad

66330cb5755e5
http://terranova.110mb.com/files/SS1transl.zip. If you want something better, you probably need to wait for Firefreak to finish the .res editor he has talked about.

66330cb57598eDarknat

66330cb5759f4
http://terranova.110mb.com/files/SS1transl.zip. If you want something better, you probably need to wait for Firefreak to finish the .res editor he has talked about.

Thanks for the program :) I'm gonna check it right now to see what I can do with it.

66330cb575abdDarknat

66330cb575b0c
Well, I have done some tests with your program and it just works great :)

I would start working on the translation seriously this weekend :) thanks a lot for your help

66330cb575c19
Gigaquad, would you mind if I put up your SS1 translation tool in the SS1 Tools thread here?

66330cb575ceaGigaquad

66330cb575d46
Please don't, it's rubbish and I'll do an updated version when it starts bothering me enough.
66330cb575e1a
Sure thing!

66330cb575f0emikeoldfield1978

66330cb575f68
Hi all,
I'm talking on behalf of a group of Italian guys that are trying to translate SS1 in italian. We have just done the translation of all the texts in the game, including emails, logs, weapons&things names, interface, all. Our problem is creating a tool that could extract all the texts and the replace them with the new translated files.
I've used the ss_xtrac.exe tool found in the SS1tools thread, becouse I couldn't download the SS1transl.zip tool posted by Gigaquad (the link isn't working for me, can u help ?  ) but at the moment I dunno how replace the translated txt's in the cybrstng.res file...
66330cb57607d
I attached Gigaquad's SS1transl.zip in the post where he linked it first. Hope that helps.
Gigaquad, if you don't want it up there, you can modify the post and remove the attachment.
66330cb576187
Hello.

I downloaded Portable version and I have a problem with true2audio. I enabled the option in the main menu before run SS, but when I listen any log the text doesn't appear. Did I do something wrong? Any idea?

Thanks for the help in advice.

66330cb5762a5voodoo47

66330cb576301
make sure you have text+audio enabled in the game options.
66330cb5763fa
I checked the options in the game menu and I enabled the text. Now it works perfectly.

Thanks voodoo47 for helping ;). And thanks to all the people who worked in this portable version.

66330cb576487Bisho736

66330cb5764ed
Just confirmed that this mod works exactly the same way with the Night Dive SS:EE release.

66330cb57657bvoodoo47

66330cb5765d3
repacked to suit the new mod loader in SSEESP, see the first post.

66330cb576660voodoo47

66330cb5766ac
updated the SSEESP version to work with the latest (2018-08-16) build.
66330cb576b8a
updated the SSEESP version to work with the latest (2018-08-16) build.

Is the SSEESP you're referring to the Shockolate source port by Interrupt, or the one being made by Nightdive? I'd assume that latter, only I wasn't aware it was released yet?

I'm a DRM hater, so my System shock is from GOG, not Steam, so I can't get any betas released on Steam  :rolleyes: Oh well, I don't mind the wait, no doubt it will be great when it's finished, though I don't see why the text fixes weren't included in the source port, as I can't see anyone preferring to use the inaccurate text over the fixed version.

Edit: Can someone with the official source port please post some screenshots and information about it? It would be interesting to get an idea of the improvements the source port will be bringing to us.
« Last Edit: 17. August 2018, 15:55:32 by JDoran »

66330cb576cb9voodoo47

66330cb576d15
yes, it's the official source port by NDS, available for all that have the game on steam (you need to use a password to opt into the beta, but it has been posted on their kickstarter page so if you can open that, you can use it, or so I would assume).

steam doesn't automatically equal drm, it can be used just as a content delivery system, and that is indeed the case here.

the source port highlights:
-modern os compatibility
-modern resolutions support
-opengl/d3d support
-reworked/configurable controls
-native mod/FM support

integrating the log text mod would probably not be a great idea - potentially copyright infringing, and some people may dislike it, as odd as it sounds.
66330cb576e6d
Oh, I know that Steam isn't DRM for many games, or even DRM in the most evil sense (like when DRM on an old game won't work on a new OS, or worse, when it causes the new OS to crash, for example), but I always buy GOG rather than any other supplier on principle.

Does this new source port look hardware rendered, or is it still visibly software rendered?

I suppose you're right about the text mod, leaving it out does avoid any copyright problems, and some people might want the game to be the 'OG' (original) experience. As long as it's easy for a novice to add the mod themselves if they want to, then it's all OK.

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

Name the AI in System Shock 2 that shares its name with a Persian king:
1 Guest is here.
Ah but now your deciding, to reform your mind while engaged in modern living, engaged in modern living.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
66330cb57aa80