6646c7d9b3e9c
1 Guest is here.

Topic: SS1 Proper Logs
Page: « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Read 77623 times  

6646c7d9b4513voodoo47

Re: SS1 Gigaquad Enhanced log texts mod
6646c7d9b457c
yes, it's a proper source port in every possible way.
6646c7d9b48bf
yes, it's a proper source port in every possible way.

Great, thanks. Hopefully the GOG-ification of the finished version isn't too far away, for us valiant anti-DRM warriors!  :D

And with the source code to this version available, hopefully it will be ported to other popular formats, such as the original XBox, the Raspberry Pi, and the Wii - no doubt some Wii fans would love to play System Shock with the aiming/inventory manipulation performed by the Wii remote.

6646c7d9b4983voodoo47

6646c7d9b4a16
updated for the latest SS EE SP build.

6646c7d9b4b19voodoo47

6646c7d9b4b68
updated to 1.04, this fixes the missing extended credits while the mod is active.
6646c7d9b4c7b
the mod doesnt seem to appear when i put it in the enhanced edition's mods folder, im using the twitch version if its important

6646c7d9b4de1voodoo47

6646c7d9b4e4c
no idea what a twitch version is, but if you are using the latest build, mods have to go to the %APPDATA%\Nightdive Studios\System Shock EE\mods folder (if you copy paste this into an address bar of any windows explorer window, the location should open).

also remember, you need to extract it there.
Acknowledged by: K-Bone
6646c7d9b4fda
it seems the mods folder in the game's directory of twitch is not the folder it uses, it does use the one in the apddata\nightdivestudios
its hard to tell when it seems like it should be the right folder, im saying this for anyone else who gets this wrong

6646c7d9b5105voodoo47

6646c7d9b5154
well, yes, as mentioned in the first post and the post right above yours.

but to be fair, this is basically microsofts fault - their idiotic permission policies for the program files folder (let the person who thought this would be a good idea suffer from a particularly prolonged and painful form of testicular cancer) forcing NDS to move part of the game files into APPDATA to circumvent the permission problems.

6646c7d9b5287GuyFawkesGaming

6646c7d9b52da
Not sure why this issue occurs but with the source port version, many dialogues boxes will end with a "t" or plus ("+"). Nothing major but annoying for my OCD perfection.

6646c7d9b5382voodoo47

6646c7d9b53d2
screenshot maybe?

6646c7d9b54cbGuyFawkesGaming

6646c7d9b5530
Further investigation shows it's random letters, more combinations than I initially thought.

EDIT: changing the renderer changes the word jumbles at the end but doesn't make them go away, might be an issue with the port.
[system shock text bug 4.PNG expired]
[system shock text bug 3.PNG expired]
[system shock text bug 2.PNG expired]
[system shock text bug 1.PNG expired]
« Last Edit: 25. December 2018, 00:59:05 by GuyFawkesGaming »

6646c7d9b59ed3RDplayer

6646c7d9b5a41
Further investigation shows it's random letters, more combinations than I initially thought.

EDIT: changing the renderer changes the word jumbles at the end but doesn't make them go away, might be an issue with the port.

I'm going to rewrite the res file to fix some errors it might contain by using the transcript file that can be downloaded in the OG post. Since extracting it via LRC won't work. That might get rid of the additional letters problem.

I wanted to take a look at the properlog_cybstrng.res file by dumping it into raw text, but LRC gives me the following error and stops extracting res 0x0867 before string 109 of that resource.

This is either through bad formating, or the string not being empty: 109 "" or don't having the sourceport important: data ;

« Last Edit: 26. December 2018, 15:30:31 by 3RDplayer »

6646c7d9b5af2voodoo47

6646c7d9b5b40
we really should make sure Shodan is referenced to as she/it at all occasions if redoing the mod. also fix the audio files accordingly.

6646c7d9b5eb5RocketMan

6646c7d9b5f07
Why?

6646c7d9b5ff3voodoo47

6646c7d9b6040
consistency. it's only about three logs I think, but I still find it annoying - just like the I find annoying that the texts and audio doesn't match in the vanilla cd version.

it shouldn't be too difficult to edit the audio clips as well, turning those few instances of "he" into "she" or "it" - though I think that is beyond my skill level at the moment.

kind of weird that they didn't fix this when putting together the cd version - would have been very easy at that point.
« Last Edit: 26. December 2018, 20:07:37 by voodoo47 »

6646c7d9b632b3RDplayer

6646c7d9b637e
consistency. it's only about three logs I think, but I still find it annoying - just like the I find annoying that the texts and audio doesn't match in the vanilla cd version.

it shouldn't be too difficult to edit the audio clips as well, turning those few instances of "he" into "she" or "it" - though I think that is beyond my skill level at the moment.

kind of weird that they didn't fix this when putting together the cd version - would have been very easy at that point.

I sure can do that audio editing, but I rather not. Even tho its annyoing to hear it, I rather not pesker with original audio files for preservation reasons.
Will try to have a with other mods compatible build out in maybe 1 or two days by making the mod conform with what the sourceport requires to be compatible. It will then only replace the text of the resources and incorporate the new credits while leaving everything else untouched.

6646c7d9b6452voodoo47

6646c7d9b64a1
the vanilla data are not destroyed in any way upon mod activation, so no need to be concerned by that (though I've seen the opinion that EE should ship with this mod active on more than one occasion).

ideally, this mod should fix all the audio/text discrepancies, all logs referring to Shodan as "he" included, as that is also a discrepant leftover inherited from the floppy version.
6646c7d9b6714
At the risk of being banned, I'll just say this.

Straight from the OP "Before neither the 'terse' nor the full text options showed the exact text as heard in the CD version of System Shock. This mod by Gigaquad syncs the texts with the audio heard from logs, emails and traps."

I see nothing here about audio and text discrepancies from 3 LOGS about Shodan's Gender. Just matching the text with the audio from the logs. Nothing more, Nothing less.

6646c7d9b67cfvoodoo47

6646c7d9b6862
and now you are banned. just kidding.

there is no harm in trying to improve things a bit further.

6646c7d9b6a79RocketMan

6646c7d9b6ace
My point isn't so much about the consistency (which some have argued was rather loose by design).  Rather, I think the ambiguity around SHODAN's gender was intentional and furthermore, a mechanism for character development.  SHODAN was nothing more than an aide for shipboard functions initially and this is even clear after her transformation since her hospital level transmissions are less insidious and more formal than those later in the game.  To refer to SHODAN's gender in a sort of careless and inconsistent way shows that she hadn't yet achieved the level of sentience consistent with human beings as we see them.  Even that garbled mess on the screens that is supposed to be her face was not particularly female-looking, yet we have a mod to "fix" that.  It sure was in SS2 though so there was definitely a progression in her character development that led to the unanimous acceptance that SHODAN was in fact a female.

The question is not whether SHODAN is male or female or whether the logs have poor consistency.  I think all that was done on purpose to show SHODAN's rise to sentience and her intent to take on a form of her own.  To screw with the audio and log text borders taking over authorship of the story's tone and impact on the player. 

6646c7d9b6b7evoodoo47

6646c7d9b6bd3
yes, but the addition of the audiologs kind of spoiled that. same goes for SS2, where she is overwhelmingly feminine.

6646c7d9b6e15RocketMan

6646c7d9b6e67
If you're referring to how the CD Enhanced version added audio to the written logs already there, then I can appreciate that it would have been easier to understand if they simply correlated 1:1.  Whatever their motive or lack thereof, we have that disconnect.  However I don't see SS2 as correcting an error in SS1 on what SHODAN's gender is.  As I said, I think her gender (and indeed her personality) was meant to be an emergent property.  So while there is perhaps a case to be made about audio/written consistency in SS1 (which is what this mod is all about), I don't think the gender is specifically a part of that inconsistency.  You could change all the text to match the audio (because that's the easiest way to marry the two) but if an audio log remains that refers to SHODAN as a HE, that's pretty much canon. 

It would be no different than if we met aliens and referred to them randomly as HE's or SHE's until they decided to differentiate themselves for the sake of our convenience.  SHODAN had no real form and the only telling sign that she might be female was her voice but that's not a 100% giveaway.  I've heard voices before that I mistook for the opposite gender.  Her face also makes it impossible to assign a gender since it's so rough and pixelated.  I just find it hard to believe they made a spelling mistake on a 3 letter word or some developer in the office didn't get the memo about SHODAN being a woman.  Far more plausible that they meant to obscure her gender to go along with the AI gaining self-awareness theme.

Remember the log where she says "GOD.  The title suits me well" ?  She didn't say Goddess. 

6646c7d9b6fa53RDplayer

6646c7d9b6ff1
The last quote RocketMan wrote from SHODAN is really important. Even to me it's a very important line. The AI does not care what it is. It only knows it exists and tries to find itself. It's also an important aspect in cyberpunk. In cyberpunk everyone can switch body parts at will and be whatever they want. There is no constrains to gender or anything. It's all about existing and finding ourselves.

Supplying a modified citalog.res and citbark.res would further make the mod incompatible with other mods that might want to change those files. It would even be a completely different mod if the above files would be provided with it. That's something somebody else can do if they are really want this kind of change as a mod.

My goal of remaking the proper_logs mod for the NDS sourceport is compatibillity with other mods while staying to the initial goal of Gigaquad. This goal was to match the onscreen text to the audio heard in the CD version. Nothing more, nothing less.
Acknowledged by: Kolya

6646c7d9b70f33RDplayer

6646c7d9b7143
Okay, I remade the mod.
I was thinking of opening up a separate topic for it since it's very unique compared to what is currently available.
It uses gigaquads transcript but only works with the sourceport. That's why I gave it a new name.
But first I want to share it here and see what you guys think.
Also I'd like to know if the additional letters still appear for GuyFawkes after using my new version.

[Proper_Logs_SPedition_1.0.zip expired]
[SS1transcript_reworked.txt expired]
« Last Edit: 29. December 2018, 07:29:13 by 3RDplayer »

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

Name the default melee weapon in System Shock:
1 Guest is here.
a robust underground
Page: « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6646c7d9b7258