664739d6339e9
1 Guest is here.

Topic: [Obsolete] SS2 Community Patch (SCP) Beta 2
Page: « 1 ... 7 [8] 9 »
Read 180623 times  

664739d6343cfvoodoo47

Re: SS2 Community Patch (SCP) Beta 2
664739d634433
he can keep the odd way of talking for all I care, but I'd really wish he would start to use the google doc for reports.
Acknowledged by: rccc
664739d634540
Deck 6 e-mail:
Re: Your little rebellion

"I hope you enjoyed your..." I think SHODAN says 'our' and not 'your' -> "I hope you enjoyed our..."
664739d63475b
I hear it too and in the audio log archive it reads 'our'. Did you already change that Kolya? Is it even written incorrectly in-game?
664739d6348cc
No idea. I merely did some technical work on the audio log page. It's mostly atropos' fault!
664739d634cd3
unn did all the audiolog pages by hearing iirc, that's why everything's been fixed there long before SCP came along (same for the German version and my fixup mod). However, this is the only instance where I think the error lies in the log, not in the text. "Our rebellion" doesn't make sense, and even if it was meant in a belittling way, it doesn't fit SHODAN's personality. The German version fixed this.
I bet someone like Vaxquis could easily insert a "your" from some other log and smooth out the transition without a hiccup.
664739d634e11
Just leave SHODAN to her ramblings. Who are you to judge her personality? You don't know what Bit bit her.
664739d635150
Just leave SHODAN to her ramblings. Who are you to judge her personality? You don't know what Bit bit her.
Well, for one, SHODAN doesn't need to belittle you or throw some passive aggressive snarks at you - she simply insults you to your face. No, I don't know what bit her.

664739d6357c2unn_atropos

664739d63583f
unn did all the audiolog pages by hearing iirc
Credit were credit is due; the initial English audiolog page was created by lorax1284. However, I went through it several times to fix minor stuff.
664739d6359b6
Our rebellion - against the Many. She uses that right after killing the Brain IIRC.

664739d635afcZylonBane

664739d635b4a
Look I already changed the "your" to "our" in the string file.
Acknowledged by: Colonel SFF

664739d635c85icemann

664739d635cd5
For the sake of accuracy it works better. I find it unprofessional when the audio does not match what the text says.

I expect it in the fan community, but never from the games industry.

664739d635d75ZylonBane

664739d635dcb
I don't think I've ever played a voiced full-size game that didn't have at least one subtitling error.
Acknowledged by 2 members: rccc, Hikari

664739d636441System Shock

664739d6364a0
ZB hammering on the gamesys nicely, some maps being updated, but I'm not in the serious SCP mode just yet, too much annoying stuff going on in other areas. once the SSR kickstarter is over I'll hop into those lovely reports from Engineering again, and then it's back in business.

but I'm pretty sure beta3 will be Halloween release again.

Here we are, some two months away from the still yearly "Halloween 2016" release of SCP Beta 3, an antiquated problem of its own kind at this stage in the development of the SCP project. There's many reported issues (some bonafide, and some not so much) that need to be addressed.

What's the current status of thoroughly shifting through (voodoo 47, you VERY brave heart) all of the issues reported in the "Engineering Section" towards fully improving SCP Beta 2, some of which have been reported and missed in the past? As an example, I've identified about a dozen art terminals floating MANY inches away from their walls. The excuse that "any floating art terminals are so close enough to their walls as to not warrant an adjustment" is a fallacy. The repositioning of ALL of these art terminals needs attention, as do many other floating items reported in the "Engineering Section".

I've just recently utilized and entered issues into the new preferred method of reporting old/new issues in SS2, by way of the Google DOC issues reporting system, hopefully a great tool to ensuring that reported issues are less likely not to be missed/overlooked going forward.   

In its own right, SS2 is a GREAT game. The SCP Technical Devs are now concentrating on the behind issues of technically advancing SS2, but there's so much that can yet be visually corrected/improved in SS2. Its up to the rest of the SCP community to step up and indicate/report what still needs fixing.

In my view, SCP Beta 3 is a SEMINAL release. This is the third crack for the DEVs at correcting some of SS2s most basic visual issues, when taking advantage of all the feedback that's been made available to them at this point in time. This should dramatically reduce the visual inadequacies burden on the future release of SCP Beta 4, who's release, historically, is anticipated to be a WHOLE year away from now !!!.

PLEASE make SS2 the best that it can be NOW . . . HEY ! ! !, PEOPLE ! ! ! . . . we're NOT getting any younger !!! . . . hhrumpf . . . where's my walking cane? . . . that grunt needs a good clubbing . . . I need his ammo clip!

664739d6365c8ZylonBane

664739d636634
Nobody cares what you think.
Acknowledged by 2 members: Olfred, Chandlermaki

664739d63681eThe_Atomik_Punk!

664739d636877
On a more "coherent" note, is there any possibility of getting UI scaling integrated into the in-game options menu for SCP beta3? I know it may seem like a waste of time considering that this can already be accomplished by editing the cam_ext.cfg, but perhaps it would make it easier for the laymen who wants to discover this masterpiece and dive right in.

As an aside has anyone tried scaling the UI with d3d_disp_scaled_2d_overlay when running SS2 at 4k? I know that may sound excessive, but I'm waiting for parts to arrive to build a new computer, and am looking forward to running some games like SS2, Thief,  and Deus Ex downsampled from 4k. This may seem like only an exceptionally small percentage of SCP users would go this route, but I think it would really be helpful in "future proofing" SS2 by having the UI elements scaleable to 4k resolutions, as running older games downsampled  from higher resolutions really tightens up  and gives a facelift to  3D games of decades past, without a drastic performance cost relative to current hardware. That, and I suppose 4k displays (for better or worse) will begin to have an increasing part of the market share going forward.

I'm really pumped about the impending release of SCP beta 3; thank you one and all for your phenomenal work in preserving System Shock 2!

664739d636966voodoo47

664739d6369bd
the only thing we could do is enable auto-scaling by default, and as this is something highly subjective, I don't think it would be a good idea.
Acknowledged by: The_Atomik_Punk!

664739d636a9eZylonBane

664739d636af2
Mission mods touching user prefs is a terrible wrong dumb idea, no matter what game you're talking about. If you think some UI defaults should be changed, go lobby the SS2Tool maintainer.
Acknowledged by 2 members: Colonel SFF, K-Bone

664739d636e90The_Atomik_Punk!

664739d636eed
Mission mods touching user prefs is a terrible wrong dumb idea, no matter what game you're talking about. If you think some UI defaults should be changed, go lobby the SS2Tool maintainer.

Point taken, and I actually agree with you upon reflection that such an alteration should not be within the scope of SCP. Despite your seemingly intransigent tone of discourtesy, thank you for the response all the same- and for the continued dedication to System Shock 2.
Acknowledged by: System Shocked
664739d63720e
[...] If you think some UI defaults should be changed, go lobby the SS2Tool maintainer.
I'm quite sure Kolya read that by now, but asking again with a prettyplease and some good arguments might help with your request.

664739d637584The_Atomik_Punk!

664739d6375eb
I'm quite sure Kolya read that by now, but asking again with a prettyplease and some good arguments might help with your request.

Well, I already gave my reasons for considering the suggestion in my post; I'm certainly  not going to "lobby" anyone (or kowtow) with what I queried, as if you reread my post, I was actually asking the opinions of those in the know as to both the potential utility and feasibility of such a feature. I merely gave my end-user opinion on a desirable change. I contribute nothing to modifying System Shock 2, and as such must defer to the expertise of the fine folks who actually do all of the work- I would never attempt to instruct or direct them, or beg them to get my way. If they don't think it's a meritorious addition, then that's fine by me.
Acknowledged by: System Shocked
664739d637701
Well you shouldn't be an ass about it like the one who just aknowledged your post, but there is no harm in a friendly request for an improvement when you found it. Don't be too shy.

664739d6377b4voodoo47

664739d637800
while we actually do push certain settings onto users, the rule of thumb is that there needs to be a very good reason for it, and it needs to be very, very safe. HUD scaling is not.
664739d6378e7
First time users tend to CHECK ALL THE BOXES, which is why even optional stuff needs to be safe as milk. Considering this for future updates though.
Acknowledged by: The_Atomik_Punk!

664739d637c21RocketMan

664739d637c74
Milk can cause inflammation  :oldman:
1 Guest is here.
They had never been able to deceive you.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
664739d637d90