663c93674d1a3
1 Guest is here.

Topic: SS2 Coloured Laser Rapiers All-in-One
Page: « 1 ... 3 [4]
Read 11849 times  

663c93674dbadsarge945

663c93674dc2c
Okay this seems pretty stable now.

@Deu sex and anyone else who has played the Beta versions, can you give some feedback? I want to move this from a Beta state to a full release.

663c93674df8fDeu sex

663c93674e040
sarge945
Last time I checked it was working quite nicely, no issues as far as I can remember since the latest version.
RoSoDude is going to release RSD's next version soon, I'll try it again in a full run during that playthrough and if everything is fine, I'll give it a green light, not that you need it or anything though haha just a little external validation roleplay.

Don't hesitate to stress the mod yourself too!

663c93674e163sarge945

663c93674e1b7
Yeah I've been stress testing it in a playthrough, but having others to help out always makes testing way better, since people will think of different things and do different things.

It's why software projects can go through years of testing only to break on the day of realease when customers start using it in all sorts of strange ways.

I don't really play Secmod though (don't like the mod personally), so someone should really test that.
« Last Edit: 23. July 2023, 15:25:47 by sarge945 »

663c93674e5edsarge945

663c93674e646
sarge945RoSoDude is going to release RSD's next version soon, I'll try it again in a full run during that playthrough and if everything is fine, I'll give it a green light, not that you need it or anything though haha just a little external validation roleplay.
Sorry for bump, but did this end up happening @Deu sex?

I really want to get this out of BETA
Acknowledged by: Deu sex

663c93674e8a5Deu sex

663c93674e8fb
sarge945
Nope I was waiting for the next version, it did release a week ago though but I only realized it now, I'm getting RSD beta 13 now and I'll be playing it during the week :)
Acknowledged by: RoSoDude

663c93674ec2esarge945

663c93674ecd6
sarge945
Nope I was waiting for the next version, it did release a week ago though but I only realized it now, I'm getting RSD beta 13 now and I'll be playing it during the week :)
You're better off now. It had some nasty issues a week ago which luckily got fixed.

663c93674efa4Deu sex

663c93674effb
sarge945
I've been playing with it quite a lot, got almost all colors, tried to change floors, etc... No issue so far, I think it's great.
Little update on the color values/saturation which feels more natural imo :

Code: [Select]
["blue",    1.0,      1.0,             [150,0.66,0.80],
["red",     1.0,      1.0,             [150,0.98,0.90],
["green",   1.0,      1.0,             [150,0.40,0.80],
["purple",  1.0,      1.0,             [150,0.80,0.80],

and light properties :

Code: [Select]
SetProperty("AnimLight","min brightness",200);
SetProperty("AnimLight","max brightness",250);
SetProperty("AnimLight","millisecs to brighten",1400);
SetProperty("AnimLight","millisecs to dim",1000);

Feel free to update them, or not! Anyways the mod is ready as far as I'm concerned :)

663c93674f2efsarge945

663c93674f34c
Deu sex
Do you have any comparison shots. Your blue and red are identical to mine, and I can't tell any difference between your green and mine despite the numbers being different. Your purple looks much better, though.

I don't like your reduced brightness values. They make the rapier look like it's only emitting a small glow, despite being a massive bright light in your hand.

I have also done some playthroughs and the mod has been working just fine for me too. I might move it out of beta.
« Last Edit: 22. November 2022, 03:32:08 by sarge945 »

663c93674f4a6sarge945

663c93674f4fa
This is no longer in Beta, I have released a new version v1.04

@voodoo47 would you please remove the 1.04 beta versions, transfer the download counts across to the new 1.04 version, and set it to never expire? Thank you!

@Deu sex you can now easily set the brightness using constants under the colour table. I didn't like your values, but you should now very easily be able to change them to your liking.
Acknowledged by: voodoo47

663c93674f720Deu sex

663c93674f774
sarge945
I guess the brightness is very dependant on the monitor, I have a monitor with very bright and powerful colors, so even just a tiny bit pops. You're the mod creator though, so your value matters. And thanks for putting options to change it easily!

663c93674f8b0sarge945

663c93674f911
This is ready to go, would just like some feedback on the idea before I release it.

I can't seem to find a way to make a MFD appear for it, but even then, it would likely just be empty. I wonder if there's a way to bring up the normal "description" MFD with a plug for hacking/modify/etc.

@RoSoDude I know you've done UI work, do you know if this is possible?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjEVYn-bROs
« Last Edit: 22. July 2023, 12:00:00 by sarge945 »

663c93674fae8ZylonBane

663c93674fb3a
You're charging players four times more nanites than it takes to reconstruct an entire human body from scratch just to change the color? Come on, this is just a silly cosmetic mod. There should be no cost, and it should cycle through the colors linearly instead of randomly.

Also it would also be better if there was a UI sound effect played when you change colors.

As for an MFD, are you talking about the Query panel? That flat-out will not display hack or modify buttons. That's why guns don't display it when you query them, vs the right-click Settings panel where it does display.

You could make a Settings MFD display, but since laser rapiers don't have settings, that would just be confusing for people.

663c93674fd80sarge945

663c93674fddb
I just ended up using a stock MFD image of a security computer

I was actually able to make it display the Hack button on the Query panel, but some internal pointer was screwed up, it would often hack the last thing I interacted with, rather than the rapier.

I have now changed it to be a proper hack, 10 nanites per go. It still rolls randomly. I know this is a dumb cosmetic mod, but I still want different colours to feel special, rather than just being something you toggle between at will. A relatively cheap and easy hack (but with a high skill requirement - currently 4) should be enough to do it, but you've still got to get lucky to get the one you want.

Hacking the GamePig costs 50 nanites per attempt(!), is very hard, and doesn't really affect gameplay (except in Overworld Zero). This sort of precedent is already set. But I might add a version that simply rerolls on right click, for free, with no hacking at all, to appease everyone.

Here it is automatically working with RSD's new hacking minigame.

Also, @RoSoDude the hack text (+ObjProp -24 "HackText" = "Weapon: "Sets a new Rapier Color"") works perfectly fine with the vanilla hacking minigame, so I am officially REPORTING BUG TEXT. It also doesn't print "Hacking Successful" to the log like the vanilla minigame does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXeg8Isx2RY
« Last Edit: 22. July 2023, 17:18:02 by sarge945 »
663c936750104
ZylonBane
That reconstruction costs about the price of a snack in a replicator. Nanites work in mysterious ways
Acknowledged by: Chandlermaki

663c9367501e1sarge945

663c936750240
To be fair, the nanite costs in the game are totally insane across the board.

I can fully heal all health, toxin and radiation at a bed for 5 nanites, and fully reconstruct myself for 10 or so nanites. (I don't use QBRMs so I forget the price). But a single med hypo can cost nearly up to 50 or so nanites.

So no matter what I set it to, someone will be unhappy.
« Last Edit: 23. July 2023, 04:52:50 by sarge945 »

663c936750327sarge945

663c93675038e
I have uploaded a new beta version. Please note there's 1 known issue currently - When playing with RSD the hack text doesn't appear, but it's a minor issue. I have asked RoSoDude to look into it.

663c9367505f5ZylonBane

663c936750646
So no matter what I set it to, someone will be unhappy.
Literally nobody would be unhappy if it didn't cost any nanites at all. In fact I'll predict right now that removing the nanite cost will be one of the first support questions. Imposing a game resource cost for an action that has no gameplay effect is a very strange choice.

663c936750af6sarge945

663c936750b55
Literally nobody would be unhappy if it didn't cost any nanites at all. In fact I'll predict right now that removing the nanite cost will be one of the first support questions. Imposing a game resource cost for an action that has no gameplay effect is a very strange choice.

I'd be unhappy, because it takes something away from collecting rapiers. Giving everyone the choice to immediately choose whichever one they want for free takes away some of the fun of searching for the rapier colour you really want or finding all of them.

There's value in rarity and in finding something rare that you want. This is also why people are willing to pay money for "legendary loot boxes" on the off chance of finding a rare cosmetic that they like. Getting excited when finding something rare like that is a core part of human nature and I like that you can't simply toggle the rapier you want.

But I don't think it will be a support question at all since it's already been accounted for. Check the first post for the new beta which has 2 versions, a hack version which is what you see in the video, and a version where right clicking simply cycles through the available colours for free.

The free version is there for those who want it. I recommend the hack version, as it keeps the rarer colours (like the black rapier) special, but to each their own. I'm not going to judge anyone for using either version, and nobody is "ruining" their experience by using one version over the other. I'm more than happy to provide multiple versions. It's not exactly difficult to do and largely handles itself automatically.

I guess we can see how many downloads each version gets, but I think you'd be surprised how many people will want to have that extra level of resource investment.

Nobody is clamoring for a "Freely unlock all GamePig games" mod either, despite the hack for it being very hard and requiring significantly more resources than the rapiers in this mod. People are more than happy to pay for non-gameplay rewards that add flavour or enjoyment to a playthrough without being numerically advantageous. All the lore-building non-gameplay fluff that's interactive and part of the world is the essence of what makes these sorts of games so immersive for so many people.
« Last Edit: 23. July 2023, 16:41:21 by sarge945 »
Acknowledged by: bombum

663c936750c45Deu sex

663c936750c96
The ability to change the color has an unintended side effect, it makes future encounters with laser rapiers less exciting because you can control the color yourself, there's something exciting about not having control and hoping the next one you find is a color you prefer.
Just my opinion of course.

663c936750d5fsarge945

663c936750dc7
I could always make a version with NO colour changing. It's very easy to do.

But I find having to hack them with a somewhat expensive HCK 4 hack, is already enough of a barrier to entry to the point where unless you become hackerman, you're still going to be excited about finding the next rapier.

663c936750eaesarge945

663c936750f01
400+ downloads on the Beta version and nobody has reported feedback so that I can release it out of beta? Seriously?

I guess no news is good news, and I'm going to assume this doesn't have any glaring issues.

Just waiting for the broken hack text fix from RoSoDude, then I will release it out of beta.
« Last Edit: 10. February 2024, 05:43:10 by sarge945 »

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

System Shock takes place on a space station named ...:
1 Guest is here.
Philosophy is the talk on a cereal box.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
663c93675101b