663c89c8d4f75

Page: [1] 2 3 »
663c89c8d5496
1 Guest is here.

Topic: SS2 DeSpawn Read 22618 times  

663c89c8d5e1dYankee Clipper

663c89c8d5e95
Tags: °DML °SS2

This mod will eliminate the monsters seem to appear out of nowhere over and over again (the respawners). It will not affect the monsters that are there when the level is started.

Exceptions: The respawning rumblers in the final fight with the Many and Shodan's avatar should not be affected by this mod. They should respawn normally.

I have only tested this on MedSci1, so there might be complications somewhere along the way. If anyone notices anything that is missing that should not have been removed, let me know and I'll take a look at it.

This mod is intended to pick up where the SS2 Unified & Revamped .mis mods left off.

Thanks to Salk and voodoo47 for inspiration.

Update: This mod has now been fingerprinted in keeping with its criminal nature.
« Last Edit: 14. June 2015, 17:57:00 by Yankee Clipper »
Acknowledged by: knifeandko

663c89c8d6145voodoo47

663c89c8d61a4
while the chances of this causing issues with FMs are extremely low, it should probably be fingerprinted anyway.

also, I don't think the mod does what you want it to do - according to this, you have just made the time interval it takes the ecology to check whether it should spawn more AIs very large, so the game will take forever to spawn them. while this will severely impact spawning, it's technically not disabled.

663c89c8d625dYankee Clipper

663c89c8d62c2
I am reworking it to use the monstergen route. I have pulled down the attachment and will replace it soon.

663c89c8d63efZylonBane

663c89c8d6447
So it's a mod that makes SS2 play more like Doom.

Hoooray...
663c89c8d65c1
I'll be sure to use it.

And I didn't even like Doom...

663c89c8d68a7voodoo47

663c89c8d6918
well, to each his own.
And I didn't even like Doom
no native speaker, but pretty sure those words can't be used that way.

663c89c8d6d80voodoo47

663c89c8d6ddc
it's like "I hate pizza".
663c89c8d6f72
ZylonBane please reserve exaggerated negativity for when people just demand and complain. Not when they go and create things, that merely don't suit you.
I may never use this myself but I can appreciate that Yankee put work into a mod for which there is a demand.

663c89c8d707dZylonBane

663c89c8d70dd
Ahem. By eliminating respawning as a gameplay mechanic, this mod does in fact make SS2 play more like Doom. It changes SS2 from a game where you always have to be cautious, to a game where you just have to clear out each level and then you can relax and run around. There is zero exaggeration in this observation.

663c89c8d7202voodoo47

663c89c8d7265
I do believe it's ok for anyone to post his/hers honest opinion, so "I don't like this" posts should be fine, as long as they are not offensive. lets call it the shnup peanut butter and brick sandwich rule.

just for the record, I fully agree that disabling respawning will hit the gameplay right into the face, and will never use such a mod myself. that won't stop me from providing help to anyone wanting to make such a mod, of course - you know, that "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it" thing.

would recommend an extra "this mod will seriously affect gameplay" note in the mod description, just to make sure anyone downloading is fully aware of what he's about to do.

663c89c8d73d9RocketMan

663c89c8d7431
Ok but there are also mods like the doom shotgun (can't get any more obvious than that) or the AVP pulse rifle or the no spiders mod, none of which fit into the game fiction.  Many of us purists may have a knee-jerk reaction to seeing these on an SS2 mod board but here's the important lesson...

A food processor is designed to divide food into smaller pieces.  It has design goals and performance requirements:  A motor of a certain wattage, a stainless steel blade that won't rust or dull, a container that won't foul or fracture, etc.  It would be unacceptable to put velvet lining in the reservoir or make the blade from cadmium.

A game is designed to entertain.  It also has certain requirements (must run on such and such a computer for example) and certainly a target market and story but ultimately... does it entertain?  If yes, then it fulfilled its purpose.  Who are we to tell anyone how they ought to be entertained?  It would be a misplaced goal to have.

663c89c8d77b4ZylonBane

663c89c8d7814
Ok but there are also mods like the doom shotgun (can't get any more obvious than that) or the AVP pulse rifle...
Those aren't gameplay mods. I don't understand why you mentioned them.
663c89c8d7b8f
Ahem. By eliminating respawning as a gameplay mechanic, this mod does in fact make SS2 play more like Doom. It changes SS2 from a game where you always have to be cautious, to a game where you just have to clear out each level and then you can relax and run around. There is zero exaggeration in this observation.

There's a lot more that differentiates SS2 from Doom than respawns. Let's say vanilla SS2 is 5% like Doom. And with this mod we are at 7% like Doom. So 2% of the whole difference of these games was respawns. Your comparison is factually true. But it still lacks relevancy. Because even with this mod SS2 is 93% not like Doom.
I might as well say SCP makes SS2 play more like HL2, because HL2 is a more polished game with better graphics. Is that a comment that would sit well with you? Would you feel it was exaggerated to even make up this comparison, even it is factually true?
« Last Edit: 11. March 2015, 21:52:04 by Kolya »

663c89c8d7c54ZylonBane

663c89c8d7cc2
It would be an accurate statement to say that SCP makes SS2's graphics more like HL2. And high praise indeed!

663c89c8d7f36RocketMan

663c89c8d7f8f
Those aren't gameplay mods. I don't understand why you mentioned them.

I know what you mean but "gameplay"  is a rather loose definition and any change can arguably be a gameplay change.  It isn't relevant either way.  Point is that for a group of  people the mod enhances the entertainment value which is good.
663c89c8d8208
It would be an accurate statement to say that SCP makes SS2's graphics more like HL2. And high praise indeed!
Hahaha, okay. You know I love you ZylonBuns even if I criticise the hell out of you sometimes this place wouldn't be the same without you.  :)

663c89c8d82d2RocketMan

Acknowledged by: JML

663c89c8d84a2miracle.flame

663c89c8d84fc
uh...

I like Doom  :D

and I like SS2 with norespawn too.. yeeey  :D
663c89c8d8679
Last time I tried Zygoptera's Spawn remover, it wasn't able to affect Engineering. It turned the game from the suitably scary and challenging game it was even without respawning, into me fleeing from an endless horde of monsters. I've heard say that this only happens when alarms are activated. Those must have been the quietest and most unnoticeable alarms ever.

In any case, I'm all for a further development of ecology elimination, but for it to be an improvement over what we already have, it needs to work on the Engineering deck too. The tech talk I've heard makes this sound like a difficult goal.
663c89c8d879a
Not Engineering. Hydroponics.

Faulty memory. Hydroponics deck is unaffected by Zygoptera.

663c89c8d88favoodoo47

663c89c8d8955
there are no endless hordes of mutants on hydro2 - as mentioned before, the spawning is very mild unless you set the alarm off.

and no, it's not difficult (as mentioned before, a hour or so for anyone who knows his way around Shocked/DML), it's just that I have better things to do, like changing all humanoid AIs into spider-monstrosities with tits.
« Last Edit: 16. March 2015, 12:41:06 by voodoo47 »

663c89c8d8a51Yankee Clipper

663c89c8d8aa8
Revised attachment has been reattached. Thanks again to voodoo47 for pointing me in the right direction (almost). The respawners are generated by randmonstergen while the monsters that spawn in response to an alarm are from directmonstergen.

If you trip an alarm, they will still come.

663c89c8d8b62voodoo47

663c89c8d8bc7
had a quick look - as mentioned before, would recommend fingerprinting to make sure this won't affect FMs in any bad way.

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

How can you challenge a perfect, immortal ____? (Fill in the missing word):
1 Guest is here.
Philosophy is the talk on a cereal box.
Page: [1] 2 3 »
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
663c89c8d8d04