66470bcf1d2c8

66470bcf1d86e
1 Guest is here.

Topic: System Shock Enhanced Edition released on GOG
Page: « 1 ... 3 [4] 5 6 »
Read 28347 times  

66470bcf1e479
"Nothing" is also enough to build off of, so that's not saying much. Anyone trying to build out SS's universe would have to do most of the work themselves.

Stop being such a downer Zylon. Seriously that's all you ever seem to do is try chopping people at the knees, belittle, berate, and use the fact you've been here forever to not get thrown out on your face.

You're talented, you've done a lot for different projects to keep Shock2 fresh and interesting. However you are a very sour person that does nothing but try belittling everyone around you.

You will claim to be a realist. I personally think your joke has worn thin. Go find a new one.
Acknowledged by 2 members: K-Bone, System Shocked

66470bcf1e7ceMr_Blastman

66470bcf1e82b
To everyone who already bought it: How does the sound and music support work? As crappy as the original runs in DosBox, being able to use munt or setting one's own midi table is far better than the modern Microsoft General Midi standard one.

I have both a Roland MT-32 and SC-55 hooked up to my PC and am able to get them to work with midi files and windows based midi games just fine.  I'm willing to bet you can get the Enhanced Edition working with real hardware or even MUNT, too, using a program called "Bassmidi" or "MidiportConfig v1.0" and change your default midi device to be either a real external synth or MUNT itself (if you have MUNT properly installed--when I look in my list I see MUNT as one of the choices listed as "MT-32 Synth Emulator).

So you should be fine.

66470bcf1eb8dZylonBane

66470bcf1ec00
Stop being such a downer Zylon. Seriously that's all you ever seem to do is try chopping people at the knees, belittle, berate, and use the fact you've been here forever to not get thrown out on your face.
Disagreeing with wrong statements isn't being a downer, it's being right. Suck it up instead of whining about the messenger.
66470bcf1ee0a
I am still right in that all you do is belittle, much as you're doing now to me simply because I'm saying things you don't want to hear, which is I disagree with your being dismissive about System Shock's world having no meat to it.

There is much there as proven by the logs, the manual, hintbook, and what the games show. That you dismiss it as 'nothign special' means little. Robocop is 'nothing special.' Bladerunner is 'nothing special'. Terminator is 'nothing special.' All because the elements have been seen and used elsewhere.

If System Shock is 'Nothing Special' why are you here? Why do you care so much to be snarky to everyone here for so long?

---

As for the topic at hand. Source is still lost but nothing has been said one way or another on attempts at figuring out how to work on reverse engineering/asset porting? If this is the case and we kinda have to sit on our hands about a patch for the SHODAN fight... now what?
66470bcf1f0a3
Okay I watched the start of that stream. Right after the introduction Paul Neurath asks Daniel Grayshon if he did the engineering. Daniel says he was in Quality Assurance, then manages to praise Malba without mentioning his name. And he says that he played through the game multiple times. Meanwhile "Outstar" met the first puzzle of the game: How to get past the initial help screen. I just couldn't take it all in one go and stopped watching at that point. Seems awesome though and I can't wait to get back to it.  :awesome:

@Hikari: I understand your sentiment, but unfortunately ZB is right. Neither System Shock game can hope to compare with the film examples you mentioned when you just look at over arching stories they tell. SHODAN and the Many are thinly veiled derivatives of William Gibson's Wintermute AI and the Alien. But where the games shine is in those smaller stories, the little subplots (told in the audiologs) that are brimming with life and imagination in the same way catastrophe films like Titanic do.
66470bcf1f20f
That's... kinda where i was getting at. The world beyond SHODAN has stories we can tell. I just don't know what without generating backlash and hate because 'but where's SHODAN?'
66470bcf1f7b9
I have both a Roland MT-32 and SC-55 hooked up to my PC and am able to get them to work with midi files and windows based midi games just fine.  I'm willing to bet you can get the Enhanced Edition working with real hardware or even MUNT, too, using a program called "Bassmidi" or "MidiportConfig v1.0" and change your default midi device to be either a real external synth or MUNT itself (if you have MUNT properly installed--when I look in my list I see MUNT as one of the choices listed as "MT-32 Synth Emulator).

So you should be fine.
Already got that, but thanks for the info anyways.

66470bcf1f8fevoodoo47

66470bcf1f965
Malba is directly mentioned later on.
Acknowledged by: Kolya
66470bcf1fb34
@Hikari: Who says you couldn't use Shodan? While lots of people moaned about the epilogue in SS2 I find the idea of her being trapped in Rebecca's human body (that she despises so much) and maybe even getting to Earth (for the first time!) endlessly fascinating. There's so much potential character development in this, which she never really had before. Will she try to feed herself into the interweb to live endlessly and omnipotent or will the experience of being a human change her? And how many people will have to die before she finds out?  :carnage:
Acknowledged by 4 members: Olfred, Colonel SFF, Hikari, System Shocked
66470bcf1fc54
So basically SHODAN as player character? Color me interested.
66470bcf1fe16
Hmm, nice idea - you play as a female character, do some stuff, encounter strange things, and in the middle of the game you realize that you're that Rebecca, after SHODAN somehow got into her body.

Btw, would be cool to get a stereo render in SS1 someday:

« Last Edit: 24. September 2015, 01:15:48 by Valet2 »
Acknowledged by: Hikari

66470bcf20171RocketMan

66470bcf201d7
Is there a replay of that stream anywhere?
66470bcf2039d
The GOG stream? It's saved and can be accessed from their channel, as usual:
http://www.twitch.tv/gogcom/v/17387762
http://www.twitch.tv/gogcom/v/17403041
The sidebar on the right let's you select both streams.
66470bcf2071c
Btw, would be cool to get a stereo render in SS1 someday:

System shock has some kind of stereo rendering. It is the disabled "headset" option in video settings.

Here's more info: http://www.pixsoriginadventures.co.uk/system-shock-on-the-vfx-1/

It would be cool to try it with latest technology :)
66470bcf20863
Hey @Marvin any idea how to download those streams?

66470bcf20af7RocketMan

66470bcf20b5b
The GOG stream? It's saved and can be accessed from their channel, as usual:
http://www.twitch.tv/gogcom/v/17387762
http://www.twitch.tv/gogcom/v/17403041
The sidebar on the right let's you select both streams.

Thanks.
Acknowledged by: Marvin
66470bcf20ea3
Hey @Marvin any idea how to download those streams?
Just google "twitch downloader", there are tons of YT videos and guides, such as this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juB4PQs92yg
66470bcf20fe6
I know a guy with VFX-1 in my city. He said he will try that out.

But that would be cool to have a stereo render (through quad-buffered opengl) for newer systems. So we could play that with nvidia 3d vision or oculus.

66470bcf210caBroken Pencil

66470bcf21125
I just watched some of the first stream, and as soon as the guy mentioned sourced, I got really excited before he said he wasn't 100% sure. Is this just a mod package (Mouse look, Auto mouse mode swap, resolution, ect.)?

66470bcf21222voodoo47

66470bcf21277
yes - see the first post. they do not have the source code, unfortunately - and considering the age, it is very unlikely that it has survived on some forgotten cd or hard drive (and even if, the media would be dead after 20 years, most probably).

66470bcf21340RocketMan

66470bcf21391
Maybe... but then again, my 386 hard drive still works and so do most of my floppies XD
66470bcf2154c
I recently successfully transferred data from 33 year old (at least) Apple II disks that hadn't been stored in the best of conditions.  Media is more robust than it's often given credit for.
66470bcf21680
Then there are those that have disks stored in archival conditions and they ended up completely unsalvagable.

You got lucky. The floppy disk is past its expiration date.

66470bcf2172aRocketMan

66470bcf2177b
Except when your MBR or filesystem gets corrupted...
1 Guest is here.
Work hard, increase production, prevent accidents and be happy.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
66470bcf21899