665c91115764b

665c911158140
1 Guest is here.

Topic: SS2Tool Network Error Read 1799 times  

665c9111587a8
I am running through Wine on Arch Linux. I have placed SS2Tool in the SS2 folder. When trying to launch it for the first time it tells me it's going to go online and search for updates and to enable it in my firewall. Then a message comes up saying Network error (SendRequest Error) Internet Connection Required. The computer is connected to the internet and it's working just fine. I have no idea how to enable something in a firewall. Could someone help me out?
665c911158a02
That shouldn't be needed. In winecfg did you change to Windows 7?
665c911158b0a
For system shock 2, I did. Not for SS2tool. I'll try that and see what happens.
665c911158fc6
Never heard of problems with SS2Tool and Wine, but if nothing helps, try this and then carry over your installation:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-8.1-and-8/hh825109(v=win.10)
665c9111590f2
404 page not found. What is that link?
665c91115938a
Is there something particular on that page I need to read? I have no idea what "link hack" means and I don't see any reference to that in what you sent me. Could you please explain how it pertains to the problem I'm having?
665c9111594f9
Sorry, something scrambled the link, here's another one:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/winpe-create-usb-bootable-drive

WindowsPE is a free, bootable recovery Windows system similar to a Linux live CD. You can either run it directly or inside a VM, and install System Shock 2 there since it has all the necessary components. Then, you can just copy over the SS2 folder to your Arch Linux installation and Wine will take it from there.
665c9111595e8
I'm not having a problem with System Shock though, it works fine. I just can't get the SS2Tool to launch, which I'm trying to use to patch and install mods.

665c91115974dvoodoo47

665c91115979a
I believe the conclusion was "patch up on a widows system and move the patched install back to the linux pc" last time this question has been asked.

alternatively, you can just get the modmanager and use it to load mods without patching up - while not recommended, it should be safe enough, as long as you have the steam or GOG build of the game (ideally, the very last steam beta) if you absolutely don't have any other way around.
665c911159baf
I'm not having a problem with System Shock though, it works fine. I just can't get the SS2Tool to launch, which I'm trying to use to patch and install mods.
I know.
665c911159e80
SS2Tool assumes to be on a Windows machine, as it cannot work on any other system. That's why it warns about needing to go through a firewall. Because on Windows a firewall warning will pop up from the system and the user is supposed to confirm that.
You're running it in a Windows emulation, so the same rules do not necessarily apply.

I would check if other programs within Wine can connect to the internet, to make sure you have a connection at all. Also the gog.com version of System Shock 2 for Mac seems to come with a preconfigured Wine wrapper. This may help if you bought the game on gog.

If that isn't an option, copy the complete game folder to an USB stick, attach to a Windows machine (Vista and up), run SS2Tool there, the copy everything back.
665c91115a4a8
Isn't it that SS2Tool uses some part/function of the Windows OS to create a connection? That is probably missing in wine.
665c91115aa08
Thanks for the helpful reply, Kolya. I purchased the game on Steam. When I run steam through Playonlinux I am able to download games fine, so the internet seems to be working with wine. And thanks for the usb stick advice. I don't have a windows machine around right now but I'll try this when I find one.
665c91115b1f6
Isn't it that SS2Tool uses some part/function of the Windows OS to create a connection? That is probably missing in wine.

@Olfred SS2Tool is based on the NSIS installer system. It uses an NSIS network library (inetc) for the initial connection, to check for updates (including content updates). Later it uses Rsync to connect and download asymmetric file chunks.
Inetc uses the WinINet API, but my understanding was that it's compatible with Wine, which comes with its own wininet.dll implementation.
« Last Edit: 06. December 2018, 21:35:05 by Kolya »
665c91115b349
I successfully patched my game on a windows system, problem I have now is BMM "can't extract mod archives." After selecting my archives it shows that is is extracting for a few seconds, even showing a progress bar and naming various files it's opening, but then shows that error message. Is this a permissions issue, perhaps?
665c91115b485
Silly me, answered my own question. All I needed to do was run my graphical file manager I used to launch BMM  with root permissions.
Acknowledged by: Kolya

665c91115b528ZylonBane

665c91115b571
Are you sure you're cut out for Linux? It kinda seems like Windows is more your speed.
665c91115b8ab
Are you sure you're cut out for Linux? It kinda seems like Windows is more your speed.
That's a very nice way to call me a big dummy :)
I'm very slowly gaining proficiency, gaining troubleshooting skills with the help of various forums.
1 Guest is here.
Mais sous ma peau glacée mon cœur ne battra plus jamais.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
665c91115eede