665b044eb8a3a

665b044eb99e8
1 Guest is here.

Topic: 13 years, and a new perspective Read 632 times  

665b044eb9fc0Dark-Star88

• Company: I freaking wish
665b044eba029
Hello all. The last time I was here, I was making a Powerpoint on Dromed for college.   :P

The community sure has come a long way. NewDark AKA "dreams do come true", Christine not only finished 4 fanmissions but went back and polished them up, the excitement of a SS1 remake and maybe even SS3! To celebrate coming back I grabbed Secmod 3 and decided to take another shot at something that eluded me for over a decade: climbing all the way to the rooftops on Earth. And whaddya know...

https://imgur.com/gallery/5kcehla

Now I have not only an idea for a short story, but even a wish to add a little something.

It's jolly good to be back.  :thumb:
Acknowledged by 2 members: ThiefsieFool, Muroj

665b044eba159Hardkern

665b044eba1a5
Climbing earth is also one of the first things I did, when I exported that map to VR. Admittedly, I cheated by giving my self a higher jump. Its interesting how much unfinished stuff there is in the earth map, that the player never sees.
665b044eba302
Nice, I never even knew that Happynoodles had a vantage point, Späher Hardkern.
Welcome back, or whatever.

665b044eba63eDark-Star88

665b044eba68f
Climbing earth is also one of the first things I did, when I exported that map to VR. Admittedly, I cheated by giving my self a higher jump. Its interesting how much unfinished stuff there is in the earth map, that the player never sees.

How much?

I've always felt the Earth map desperately needed something. Graffiti on the walls, a large telescreen cycling through news broadcasts, a group of rough-looking individuals lurking in a corner. You can mantle over the railing and walk along the tracks but doing so doesn't electrocute you, the sound cuts out midway down the tunnel and there's no secret goodies or easter eggs for walking all the way to the end. And it was rather jarring for the street to dead-end in a wall especially with the truck sitting right there - why not put in a large cargo door at least?

Thank goodnesss for the nano pocket change interaction Secmod adds.

665b044eba757Hardkern

665b044eba7a4
Yeah, earth is a bit blank from a players perspective. But if you noclip around a little, there are a few rooms that arent connected to anything. I think the earth level was supossed to be longer, but got cut.
The game could have started in med-sci and not much would have been lost. But, its neat to even have an earth level, to ground everything a little.
665b044ebac9a
How much?

I've always felt the Earth map desperately needed something. Graffiti on the walls, a large telescreen cycling through news broadcasts, a group of rough-looking individuals lurking in a corner. You can mantle over the railing and walk along the tracks but doing so doesn't electrocute you, the sound cuts out midway down the tunnel and there's no secret goodies or easter eggs for walking all the way to the end. And it was rather jarring for the street to dead-end in a wall especially with the truck sitting right there - why not put in a large cargo door at least?

I don't actually remember if I've ever explored the Earth section of SS2. I probably did, realised that I'd wasted that forty-eight seconds of my life, and my subconscious flagged it as not worth re-exploring, so since then I just go straight to where you sign up for your exciting new space career. Now you mention it, though, it would be great to have it expanded even just artificially by adding a traffic tunnel (that's maybe blocked by another vehicle, to stop you wandering too far), or a closed cargo door, etc.

665b044ebb077Dark-Star88

665b044ebb0ca
I don't actually remember if I've ever explored the Earth section of SS2. I probably did, realised that I'd wasted that forty-eight seconds of my life, and my subconscious flagged it as not worth re-exploring, so since then I just go straight to where you sign up for your exciting new space career. Now you mention it, though, it would be great to have it expanded even just artificially by adding a traffic tunnel (that's maybe blocked by another vehicle, to stop you wandering too far), or a closed cargo door, etc.

Exactly. Something besides a big blank wall and an empty space on the one side of the recruiting center.

I'm tempted to fire up Shocked again and page through the object list for some inspiration. And also to browse through Christine's looong list of custom objects.

665b044ebb566unn_atropos

665b044ebb5b7
Now you mention it, though, it would be great to have it expanded even just artificially by adding a traffic tunnel (that's maybe blocked by another vehicle, to stop you wandering too far), or a closed cargo door, etc.
SS2 IonosFear Testlevel: https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=1014
1 Guest is here.
The voices are back. Excellent.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
665b044ebbff0