\\Cut Content Restored and Female Pronouns for SHODAN in logs and Emails//
------------------------
By Katrina (Kelis98/Xkilljoy98)

Version: 1.6

Created using HackEd/InkyBlackness

----------------
//Mod Features\\
----------------

- A verson of the game with cut audio logs, emails, icons, and enemies restored (Restored cut enemies currently not featured in combat, only viewable with an in game log explaining things (in Level 4: Storage) this is planned to change with future versions).

- A version of the game with Female Pronouns for audio logs and emails by and mentioning SHODAN since in the original game her pronouns as used by other characters is inconsistent, this changes it to make the logs and emails better fit with SHODAN's voice acting/character and System Shock 2 (this currently only affects text and not audio, and currently changes the english text, this is planned to change with future versions).
   ^ * This mod comes in both base log and proper log versions (the proper logs version is currently a work in progress)

- A version of the game with both cut content and female pronouns for logs and emails by and mentioning SHODAN (both of the previous limitations apply to this version as well).

---------------
\\Information//
---------------

The .zip-file comes with two versions:
- A version for any non Source Port System Shock Release (Enhanced Edition (Pre-Source Port), Classic Edition, CD-ROM, Floppydisk, System Shock: Portable, Etc)
- A version for Sourceport (Enhanced Edition (Source Port))

--------------------------------
//Pre-Source Port Installation\\
--------------------------------

This version can be played with:
- Any non-Source Port System Shock version (Enhanced Edition (Pre-Source Port), Classic Edition, CD-ROM, Floppydisk, System Shock: Portable, Etc)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to go back to a pre-source port version of Enhanced Editon:

Good Old Games (GOG):

https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/articles/212806945-How-do-I-revert-rollback-to-an-older-game-version-

Steam:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1086279994
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Locate archive.dat in the Data folder whitin your System Shock installation folder (..\res\data\).

2. Make a backup of the file (copy it and put it somewhere else).

3. Replace archive.dat in your System Shock folder with the one(s) found in one of the following folders:

* Cut Content

* Cut Content and Female Pronouns for SHODAN

* Female Pronouns for SHODAN
      * SHEDAN - Base Logs
      * SHEDAN - Proper Logs (Work in Progress)

4. Start the game

or

1. Make a copy of your entire System Shock folder.

2. Paste the folder somewhere else.

3. Put archive.dat in the Data folder (..\res\data\).

4. Start the game

- For System Shock: Portable installation, put archive.dat in the res folder (...\SSP\res) instead.

----------------------------
\\Source Port Installation//
----------------------------

This version can be played with:
- Enhanced Edition (Source Port)

1. Open a Windows-Explorer window and go to this location (copying and pasting it into the location bar is an easy way to find it):

%APPDATA%\Nightdive Studios\System Shock EE\missions

or (if the above doesn't work then try putting it here (in the game's data folders, at the install location)):

.../SS1EE/res/missions/

2. Drag and drop the following folders from the downloaded mod folder to the missions folder:

* Cut Content Restored

* Cut Content Restored and Female Pronouns for SHODAN

* Female Pronouns for SHODAN
      * SHEDAN - Base Logs
      * SHEDAN - Proper Logs (Work in Progress)

3. Start the game and activate the Mission under Modifications of the title screen.

-------
||Q&A||
-------
Q: Isn't there a theory to explain the pronoun inconsistencies?

A: There is, the trans SHODAN theory and the theory that not many interact with SHODAN directly, they are interesting theories and ones that I do think about if they could be true, this mod simply adds an alternative/addition to those explanations and for those that don't just want to brush it off as development changes and want to see it in game. The real-world reason for the whole pronoun thing is likely due to changes during development that were not fully updated upon release.

--------------
//Known Bugs\\
--------------
* There was a bug that could cause the game to crash sometimes, to my knowledge this has been fixed but just in case anything happens, do be aware of it.

--------------
\\Change Log//
--------------
Version 1.0: Initial Release with Cut Audio Logs and Enemies (non-hostile), as well as Female Pronouns for Shodan in Logs
Version 1.1: Updated Mod Type and Updated README
Version 1.2: Bug Fixes
Version 1.3: Added Cut Trap Messages
Version 1.4: Bug Fixes
Version 1.5: Bug Fixes
Version 1.6: Added Cut Icons and Updated README

------------
//Feedback\\
------------
All feedback can go either on the mod pages on Moddb or System Shock.org; or on Shodanpedia (Wiki or Discord server).

---------------
||Future Mods||
---------------
- Updates to Cut Content and Female Pronouns for SHODAN
- Even more yet to be announced!

-----------
\\Credits//
-----------
- Katrina (Kelis98/Xkilljoy98)
« Last Edit: 11. October 2022, 16:28:43 by Xkilljoy98 »

6648c2982b4edXkilljoy98

• Company: N/A
6648c2982b53b
Some pictures
« Last Edit: 03. October 2022, 22:38:33 by Moderator »

6648c2982b728Xkilljoy98

6648c2982b771
Also, I eventually want to make the cut enemies have ai, and I may move some of the cut logs around but for now this is good enough for a first version
« Last Edit: 23. September 2022, 21:00:22 by Xkilljoy98 »

6648c2982b8c3voodoo47

6648c2982b90c
is this compatible, incompatible, or already merged with the enhanced logs?

will attach all three downloads to the main post. also, my finger is getting tired scrolling through it. //and moved to the SS1 subforum.
« Last Edit: 23. September 2022, 21:57:43 by voodoo47 »

6648c2982bb94Xkilljoy98

6648c2982bbe9
voodoo47
IDK I have not tested it, this mod was made independently of that one.

6648c2982bcbevoodoo47

6648c2982bd09
it's been a while since I've messed around with SS1 mods, but iirc only one set of texts can be active at the same time (unless you somehow circumvented it).

guess it's time to get back into it (almost perfect timing, going to have much more free time starting october).

6648c2982bf02Xkilljoy98

6648c2982bf57
voodoo47
Yeah I think so given how the files work, maybe there is a way around it IDK

Also it is worth noting that the only log I have not added so far is the alternative Earth is Destroyed, since in the editor I could not find the node that triggers the email

6648c2982c0e9voodoo47

6648c2982c147
ok, few recommendations;

-modfolder too long, ideally should be one word, 8 characters max. renamed mine to ShEdan
-KEX port instructions are to set the mod up as a fan mission, should be changed to a mod and the structure modified accordingly (use the enhanced logs mod as a template) so it would load as mod (rename mission.as to mod.as seems to be enough)
-the description text overflowing in the menu, needs to be 70 characters or less, if it's more you need to start a new line by inserting \n
Code: [Select]
SetDescription("A version of the game with Female Pronouns for audio logs and emails\nby and mentioning SHODAN.");-once set up as a mod, it seem like it's not overriding the enhanced logs, but would need a save where one of the she modified logs has already been picked up to confirm. anyway, would recommend redoing it using the proper logs as base (enhanced texts is THE SS1 mod you don't want to be incompatible with) just to be sure
[mods_ss1.jpg expired]
« Last Edit: 03. October 2022, 22:37:11 by Moderator »

6648c2982c3e1Xkilljoy98

6648c2982c435
voodoo47Ok and hey that is clever IDK why I didn't think of that.

Ok I can change it to where it can be played as a mod, but how do I do that since I had to place logs and edit the terrain a bit in two of the versions?

Oh so I just change it to mod.as and I should be fine?, the cut content stuff though what about that?

Might have to test it to see how it works.

Ok if it works I might need to make some changes.

6648c2982c522voodoo47

6648c2982c56b
iirc the only difference between setting it up as a fan mission and a mod is engine load priority, the .as file syntax is the same (I think). but you definitely should test on a live game to make sure everything is working as intended after converting it to a proper mod (having to deal with the .as file is pretty much the reason I never got into SS1 mods too much, the extension really should be changed to .ass imho).

as mentioned, the enhanced texts mod and hires objects mod .as file can serve as a template if need be.
« Last Edit: 24. September 2022, 12:27:50 by voodoo47 »

6648c2982c78fXkilljoy98

6648c2982c7df
voodoo47
Ok so I changed mission.as to mod.as (and changed all mentions of mission to mod in the file and now it shows up in the mod list instead but it crashes the game when I try and load it.

Looking at the enhanced logs file it seems the only difference is that it still has the word mission a few times and lacks the archive file.
« Last Edit: 24. September 2022, 12:44:28 by Xkilljoy98 »

6648c2982c8advoodoo47

6648c2982c909
I only changed mission.as to mod.as (and moved the mod folder from missions to the mods folder of course) and it seemed to load fine (the female Shodan mod).

but as mentioned, I have no way of knowing whether it actually (still) works as I have no idea where the first log that has been changed is - drop a save if you can.

6648c2982cb49Xkilljoy98

6648c2982cb9a
voodoo47
Well I tried just changing the name and it didn't work for me, didn't even show up

First log that is changed is in one of the rooms opposite of the beginning room.

6648c2982cc61voodoo47

6648c2982ccae
ok, if it's Stack-15oct, then it still says "its", so while my game isn't crashing, the mod is not getting applied.

welp, just try to hammer on things until it starts working again.
[stack_log.jpg expired]

6648c2982ce6fXkilljoy98

6648c2982cebf
voodoo47
Ok I am gonna try working and I will post if I figure anything out, if you get it working let me know

6648c2982cfdevoodoo47

6648c2982d02c
I pretty much don't have anything else I could try - digging around the .as file is precisely what I don't want to do. my usual strategy when troubleshooting similar issues is to cut everything down to the very smallest bit (in you case, just the text/string file) and see whether I can get that working. once I can, I start re-adding the other bits until it starts to crash again.

//also confirmed by loading the original package as a fan mission, it works (changes the Stack-15oct log), and it indeed overrides the enhanced logs mod.  so yeah, redoing this completely is highly recommended (so proper mod format, and all the tweaked logs based on the enhanced versions. also a small note - some logs refer to Shodan as "it", would leave those alone, the only ones that make me cringe is where Shodan is referenced to as male).
« Last Edit: 24. September 2022, 13:36:36 by voodoo47 »

6648c2982d2a8Xkilljoy98

6648c2982d2f7
voodoo47
I might leave it alone but yeah I also really don't like when she is referred ot as "he", but what would I need to change in order to get it working as a mod?

6648c2982d390Xkilljoy98

6648c2982d3d9
Also is there anyway around the 10k kb limit for uploads here?

6648c2982d567voodoo47

6648c2982d5b1
strange, the limit shouldn't be that low, will check. //fixed

I never got that deep into SS1 modding, never used any of the tools available, just reconstructed a few old mods to work with EE. so the only thing I can recommend is taking the enhanced logs mod (EE version), and start replicating things until you get where you want to be (so basically, you are constructing a custom cybstrng res here that would only contain your modified texts, and setting it up to be loaded on top of all the other cybstrng res files as far as I can tell, but this is just my guess, again, never managed to get deep enough into SS1 modding. so for example, I'm not sure whether it's even possible to have the enhanced logs mod which modifies all the strings loaded, and then also have your mod loaded on top of that, modifying only some of the already modified strings).

@3RDplayer or @dertseha may be of assistance here.

6648c2982d82edertseha

6648c2982d87d
Mod stacking should be possible, though I believe NDS did not "properly" do it for bitmaps if I recall correctly.
So, yes, at least texts can be stacked and, given the right edit procedure, would only override those strings that are intended. For (some) bitmaps that doesn't work.

I believe I mentioned this limitation ages ago, though with their current workload and already pending fixes (see evergreen of "stuttering bug") I doubt this will be addressed anytime soon - if at all (see "lack of modding demand")
Acknowledged by: voodoo47

6648c2982d976voodoo47

6648c2982d9c7
hence, my (grand evil) plan to bring the Shockolate devs and SS1 modders/fm creators together to create a viable open alternative that would be less pain to work with.

sooon(ish).

6648c2982dc53Xkilljoy98

6648c2982dca3
voodoo47
Ok, I just need to figure out how to add it as a mod and not as a mission and what would need to change.

I am used to making missions and not "mods" so maybe there is some difference idk.

IK 3rdplayer knows a lot about SS1 modding and has helped out a lot (not the best discord server mod imo, but when it comes to making game mods he has done some great stuff)

6648c2982dd75voodoo47

6648c2982ddbf
iirc the .as file of the enhanced logs mod is as cut down as possible (basically just says hey engine, here's a mod, load the modified strings on top of the original strings as far as I can tell), again, would start from there.
Acknowledged by: dertseha
1 Guest is here.
Thank you. A cortex reaver will be with you shortly.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6648c298311cf