665b0118845ac

665b011885631
1 Guest is here.

665b011885f5f
The upcoming game The Callisto Protocol will be available in two versions, the normal edition for £49.99, and the Deluxe Edition at £69.99 (I'm in England, hence the currency).

And among the extras that come with the deluxe edition are a dozen new death animations. Yes, pay extra and you get a few extra death animations (which may or may not have been part of the base game originally, I don't know).

How much longer before we get a game where you have to pay extra to activate the "Load Save Game" prompt? Or pay a one time fee and you can access the game's options menu just as often as you like. But only up to four times per month, anything more and you have to repay the fee. And we'll probably see game over screens where the "Load Last Saved Game" prompts is time-locked for two minutes, unless you buy the company's special "VIP pass" that prevents you from having to wait for those two minutes.

And we stupid, stupid gamers, will support all of this by buying the games instead of boycotting them.

I wonder if we will ever reach the point where something a company does is so ridiculous or unscrupulous that we gamers actually act together as a group and refuse to buy a game that we previously wanted to buy?

665b01188613aCreamy

• Company: Nightdive Studios (community Discord Moderator)
665b011886191
From the games director
https://twitter.com/GlenSchofield/status/1595513458618818560?t=ESdG7Nd_AHR5cbTLDOWt8A&s=19

The animations will be tied to (presumably) new areas and enemies in the upcoming story dlc that will begin being worked on next year. IGN were somewhat misleading by making it sound like this was some exclusive thing cut from the final game. Nothing on the retail release has been cut from the game.
« Last Edit: 24. November 2022, 16:21:20 by Creamy »

665b0118862abPacmikey

« Last Edit: 20. August 2023, 01:24:40 by Pacmikey »
665b0118866ef
Apparently EVERY AAA game must have THE BEST graphics and fidelity EVER. And because of that the prices have ballooned.
Isn't "AAA-game" the industry coined description for a high budget game made with next (or at the very least current) gen graphics?
« Last Edit: 24. November 2022, 19:15:26 by fox »

665b0118867baPacmikey

« Last Edit: 20. August 2023, 01:23:58 by Pacmikey »
665b01188715e
From the games director
https://twitter.com/GlenSchofield/status/1595513458618818560?t=ESdG7Nd_AHR5cbTLDOWt8A&s=19

The animations will be tied to (presumably) new areas and enemies in the upcoming story dlc that will begin being worked on next year. IGN were somewhat misleading by making it sound like this was some exclusive thing cut from the final game. Nothing on the retail release has been cut from the game.

Wouldn't the game's makers then chase up IGN and ask then to explain the difference more clearly? If so, then I've not seen the update.

Regardless, I wouldn't trust the word of someone who worked on the game. Yes, many people in that position would be honest, but many people would not be. Maybe the animations, and/or other aspects of the DLC were cut from the original game when the games developers saw dollar signs, maybe (most probably) they weren't, but if they were then I doubt any spokesperson for the game would admit it.

I'm so jaded by the gaming industry nowadays, that I take very little on faith any more.

I would be completely fine getting an official System Shock 3 with Dark engine graphics.

Absolutely. I much prefer gameplay over graphics, so give me a game as good and as complex as Deus Ex, and I won't care if it's as visually ugly as Deus Ex was, my imagination will fill in the gaps, which actually helps with the immersion.

foxAAA means produced and published by a large publisher. Graphics have nothing to do with it.
But AAA games typically have very good graphics (and lots of advertising). Graphics (and advertising) really do help to sell a game, even if ultimately being pretty and well advertised is all that's really going for a particular game.

I've heard it said that advertising is the single biggest factor in how well a game sells. I don't know how true it is, but I don't doubt that is a large factor in the sales, maybe more than actual game quality alone. Unfortunately.
665b011887369
I think AAA game basically means "intended and also funded to become a blockbuster by means of marketing and production values". At least so far, that usually meant trying to impress players with visual fidelity, too.

I certainly see the problems that come with it but I also think there's a good chance that it'll ultimately reach a tipping point.

Graphics are already fascinatingly close to photo-realism, slightly bottle-necked mostly by hardware limitations. When you reach the limitations of the human senses, there's no use investing in that any further. There's high quality sample libraries of nearly everthing under the sun already recorded and available. Same will be the case with animations, motion-captures, 3D-models, scans etc.. There are powerful game engines being developed and updated by specialized third party companies, ready to license.

The list of elements that previously were much more expensive than now because they required vast amounts of manpower and gear to develop or improve is only getting longer so far. It might even lead to devs and publishers  having to re-focus on actual gameplay and story in order to get an edge over the competition - some day, maybe...

Or they'll just take that money saved on tech aspects and R&D more bullshit methods to milk the gamers more aggressively.
« Last Edit: 24. November 2022, 20:38:47 by fox »

665b011887851icemann

665b0118878af
Regardless, I wouldn't trust the word of someone who worked on the game. Yes, many people in that position would be honest, but many people would not be. Maybe the animations, and/or other aspects of the DLC were cut from the original game when the games developers saw dollar signs, maybe (most probably) they weren't, but if they were then I doubt any spokesperson for the game would admit it.

The issue there is that if you don't trust those that worked on the game, that they are the only ones who know the truth. So your left with no'one in that case.

The bit that Creamy mentioned about it being directly tied in with new area and enemies sounds a little too specific to not be right imo.

665b0118879d7Creamy

• Company: Nightdive Studios (community Discord Moderator)
665b011887a27
The issue as I see it is IGN and VGC publications presented it as though somehow some new animations are the focal point of the DLC itself, and not the story additions and such. The additional death animations are but one part of the package, yet the headlines would leave you to conclude it's the primary selling point.

It invites inflammatory discussion and gets people riled up (as evidenced by the very existence of this thread) over something extremely minor. Sometimes things aren't as fantastical or intricately elaborate as they appear. It seems pretty cut and dry. They're making additional story DLC next year, the gruesome death animations have received praise - so they're making more and throwing them in with the season pass. It's not that deep.
Acknowledged by: icemann

665b011887b46icemann

665b011887b96
{alt}

I say that only as, as you say, this is a super trivial thing and not worth getting angry over.
665b01188826c
The issue as I see it is IGN and VGC publications presented it as though somehow some new animations are the focal point of the DLC itself, and not the story additions and such. The additional death animations are but one part of the package, yet the headlines would leave you to conclude it's the primary selling point.

It invites inflammatory discussion and gets people riled up (as evidenced by the very existence of this thread) over something extremely minor. Sometimes things aren't as fantastical or intricately elaborate as they appear. It seems pretty cut and dry. They're making additional story DLC next year, the gruesome death animations have received praise - so they're making more and throwing them in with the season pass. It's not that deep.

Probably, yes, And if this were a one off, then we would have treated it as a little light-hearted topic to pass a few moments. But the gaming industry is so, shall we say, petty and unlikable in so many gamers eyes that we tend to assume, not without cause, that if something they say sounds bad, then it lead to something bad (bad for the customer, I mean).

I mean, you work for Night Dive Studios, right? Can you honestly say that you think the System Shock Remake backers are happy with how you've treated them in the past few years, with the 'regular' updates (remember them?). Your company has lost *much* of the high opinion and hopes that we System Shock fans had for the company, as you went from giving out regular, interesting updates, to a few lines of text that actually said very little along with a few static screenshots of walls and doors, to the current "Do Night Dive Studios still exist?" situation where seemingly a not insignificant portion of SS fans seem to think the game will never come out at all. I'm not one of them, I do still think the game will come out, but I don't know when, and I wouldn't be too surprised if a year from now we were still waiting for it's release.

Please don't mistake me, I'm certainly not criticizing you personally, Creamy, and in-fact I have a higher opinion of NDS than many backers so vocally do. I can't forget that it's because of NDS that so many of us were able to legally own a copy of System Shock at all, and the SS Enhanced Edition is great, plus (and this was extra brilliant!) you released the source code for the curious and really smart fans to tinker around with.

And thanks to NDS I can finally play the console version of Powerslave/Exhumed. In fact, now I can play the definitive edition of the console games, because from what I've read the NDS version (I have it on the PS4) basically includes the best of the PS1/Sega Saturn versions. I've not played either of the original versions, so I can't comment on the changes personally, but the new version is a great game, old-school in all the right ways, and very enjoyable.

Plus NDS have brought older games to a modern audience, for which I don't think they get nearly so much praise as the deserve (re-releasing Doom 64 to modern audiences alone is a fantastic move, as it's a superb game that not too many people saw, since apparently most people assumed it would be, like all other 90s console Doom games, just a port of the existing PC Doom levels, and so didn't bother to try it). And having Turok 1 and 2 on the PS4 is great too. And allowing the Quake remaster to play mods is a really great feature that is sadly very rare in console gaming (offhand, I can only think of Skyrim, Unreal Tournament 3 (and that only the PS3 version, the XBox 360 doesn't allow mods) and the 2019 Unity versions of Doom 1 and 2).

So I really do like NDS. But if it wasn't for all the good stuff they have done with SS1, and releasing old but great games onto modern consoles, and how open and enthusiastic they were once about System Shock Remake, then I too would have all but given up on the SSR by now, and mentally written it off as vapourware.

What I'm saying is that gamers don't demonize the games industry, it's the games industry itself who makes itself look bad. So if we see something bad in something a games company says, then it's likely because we expect to be treated badly by the same industry that takes our money and gives us bug-ridden games and expects us to be happy to pay full price and then we paying customers have to find and report the bugs publically or directly to the game's makers and hope that they release a patch or four to fix the bugs.

665b0118888b1sarge945

665b01188891e
Thank you for blaming gamers, even if it was towards the end of your post. So many threads all over the gaming landscape are fixated entirely on blaming evil companies for being evil.

The problems in gaming aren't caused by "evil greedy gamedevs". So many people like to talk endlessly about how the evil game industry ruins everything and how the poor gamers are at the mercy of these evil mega-corporations.

It's all bullshit.

I can already predict this game will be a massive financial success, despite the "aggressive evil monetisation", because gamers are largely stupid and only care about consuming product. Nobody cares if it's unethical, they will fork over money (usually while whining) because "this sucks", and yet will continue to actively support the practice.

We saw it with the Boycott Modern Warfare 2 thing, we saw it with the loot box scandals all through EA games over the last decade. We saw the complaints over CoD WW2 adding loot boxes - it was still one of the highest grossing games of that year. People were endlessly complaining that "the government isn't going to regulate loot boxes" without even contemplating the idea that if the practice was genuinely unpopular or unprofitable it would stop instantly.

People are constantly wondering why studios continue to pump out cookie-cutter garbage, and why they continue to do horrendous monetisation repeatedly. It's because it makes money. That's the only reason a company does anything. Call of Duty continues to get new releases every year because gamers continue to buy it. Meanwhile when companies try to sell something new or unique or interesting - Boomer shooters, RTS games, Prey and other immersive sims - they tend to do average but not great financially. At the same time the whole gaming community is complaining endlessly about boring, hand-holdey games filled with microtransactions, gambling mechanics, and half-assed DLC, we are continually pouring endless amounts of money into these games because we have no self-control and can't possibly stand to miss out on something.

I see the concern your raising - selling some animations as a DLC is a really dickish move - but calling out the company for doing it is a waste of everyone's time. Short of a well-organised boycott (and an ACTUAL boycott, not the typical gamer "boycott" where everyone buys the game anyway), it's a waste of time.

I have all but given up at this point. Modern games are a lost cause. Gaming is not going to recover until the people who play games realise that the consumer vote exists and take a positive stand to improve the quality of the industry. Government regulators are not going to do it and the industry itself is not going to do it, only the consumers can. They are the most powerful part of any industry, and they have willingly made themselves powerless by blaming their horrendous purchasing decisions on "evil companies for making bad products". Until gamers as a collective grow up, I'm going to stick to older games and games by smaller developers who care more about the quality of the product than money.

Sorry if this came across as a rant or an attack. I am just so endlessly sick and frustrated with the horrible way the game industry works, the toxic and symbiotic relationship between gamedevs and consumers, and how immature and short-sighted most gamers are. The industry would be fixed overnight if we all came to this realisation and stopped supporting barebones experiences and exploitative business practices.

I may delete this if it turns out to be too incendiary or offputting for this discussion. Don't get me wrong, what this company is doing is egregious - but they are doing it with the consent of the gaming public and will likely be rewarded for doing so by the very people who complained about it in the first place. I am very glad you mentioned that further down in your post, but the first and foremost message is "look how evil this company is being". I at least appreciate the effort.
« Last Edit: 26. November 2022, 08:57:38 by sarge945 »
665b0118897c6
Thank you for blaming gamers, even if it was towards the end of your post. So many threads all over the gaming landscape are fixated entirely on blaming evil companies for being evil.

Sorry, is that meant for me? I am not blaming gamers/paying customers. These problems are caused deliberately by games companies, it is the gaming companies who decide to release games that haven't been properly debugged first, it is they who release games with 'less than honest' marketing and videos, they release games with that require ridiculous amounts of hard-drive space (this is especially bad with console games, as you're usually stuck with a much smaller hard drive), and so on. We paying customers have no say in any of that.

I mean, did any gamer ever say "Please make the cut-scenes un-skippable, I *really* want to NOT have the option to skip past a cutscene that I already know by heart"?

Did any gamer ever say "Please stop adding multiplayer bots to first person shooter multiplayer games, I hate having the option to practise the game before I go online, or knowing that I can play the extact game mode with the exact options that I choose against bots, if I can't find any human players of suitable skill to play against"?

Did any gamer ever say "Please stop including cheats in the single-player campaign, as I hate knowing that I so choose, I can play the game all the way through using my favorite weapons, or use a cheat to skip to my favourite parts of the game, or use a cheat to provide an extra challenge (such as giving every enemy a rocket launcher, to see how good I really am), or to make the game easier (say by giving myself access to all weapons and ammunition from the beginning of the game"?

The problems in gaming aren't caused by "evil greedy gamedevs". So many people like to talk endlessly about how the evil game industry ruins everything and how the poor gamers are at the mercy of these evil mega-corporations.

It's all bullshit.

I don't agree at all. Tell me here and now how gamers *force* games companies to do the things that we gamers actually hate. Tell me how, for example, gamers can and do stop games companies from properly testing their games before they release them. Tell me this, if a games company has decided that it will not release a certain game until that game has been properly tested and fixed, to the state that that game can reasonably be assessed to be bug-free, then how can we nasty gamers force the game's company to release the game before the testing/fixing is done?

We can't. And we don't. It's the games companies who choose to put the games on the shelf/online store without first properly testing and fixing them.

And no gamer ever held a gun to a developer's head and said "Either you release this game in umpteen different deluxe editions, including the cheapest edition that in time's past would have included all the playable code, but now won't, or I am pulling this trigger". No gamer ever hopes "When [great game x] gets ported from [some system] to [the system that I own] then I hope it's a lousy port, slow and bugged, and, finger's crossed, hopefully it's lacking some stuff from the original version, oh I really want to play a terrible port".

I can already predict this game will be a massive financial success, despite the "aggressive evil monetisation", because gamers are largely stupid and only care about consuming product. Nobody cares if it's unethical, they will fork over money (usually while whining) because "this sucks", and yet will continue to actively support the practice.

Oh yes, it's certainly true that gamers (and consumers of other things) can be very stupid when judging what to buy (myself included, of course), but we consumers don't create the problems, we simply give the unethical companies a strong financial incentive to continue putting out substandard products. Why spend time and money improving your products, if they already sell very well?
We saw it with the Boycott Modern Warfare 2 thing, we saw it with the loot box scandals all through EA games over the last decade. We saw the complaints over CoD WW2 adding loot boxes - it was still one of the highest grossing games of that year. People were endlessly complaining that "the government isn't going to regulate loot boxes" without even contemplating the idea that if the practice was genuinely unpopular or unprofitable it would stop instantly.

Of course. But those problems and points of contention were created by games companies, not gamers. We gamers, who financially supported those games companies (despite us moaning about it all) were guilty of stupidity and tacitly supporting the usage of those unwanted 'features'. But the games industry are much worse, as they choose to implement those 'features' in the first place.

People are constantly wondering why studios continue to pump out cookie-cutter garbage, and why they continue to do horrendous monetisation repeatedly. It's because it makes money. That's the only reason a company does anything. Call of Duty continues to get new releases every year because gamers continue to buy it. Meanwhile when companies try to sell something new or unique or interesting - Boomer shooters, RTS games, Prey and other immersive sims - they tend to do average but not great financially. At the same time the whole gaming community is complaining endlessly about boring, hand-holdey games filled with microtransactions, gambling mechanics, and half-assed DLC, we are continually pouring endless amounts of money into these games because we have no self-control and can't possibly stand to miss out on something.

All true. Every year the latest FIFA game sells seemingly one copy for every eight person on Earth, and the next year your local game shop is selling eight hundred used copies of that game, at fifty pence a time, part-exchanged from people who have just bought the new FIFA game.

But none of this alters my contention, that the games industry does things that are contrary to what gamers want, and are often anti-consumer (at least in our (gamers') eyes, if not legally).

I see the concern your raising - selling some animations as a DLC is a really dickish move - but calling out the company for doing it is a waste of everyone's time. Short of a well-organised boycott (and an ACTUAL boycott, not the typical gamer "boycott" where everyone buys the game anyway), it's a waste of time.

Depressing, isn't it? There is no sign or hope of it ever getting any better. On the plus side, at least it's only a minor problem. We could be talking about the Russia/Ukraine war (and the very slight but not non-existent chance that someone down the line this might lead to a nuclear exchange of missiles), the ridiculous cost of living rises, the general state of the world, etc, and we'd be much more depressed.

I have all but given up at this point. Modern games are a lost cause. Gaming is not going to recover until the people who play games realise that the consumer vote exists and take a positive stand to improve the quality of the industry. Government regulators are not going to do it and the industry itself is not going to do it, only the consumers can. They are the most powerful part of any industry, and they have willingly made themselves powerless by blaming their horrendous purchasing decisions on "evil companies for making bad products". Until gamers as a collective grow up, I'm going to stick to older games and games by smaller developers who care more about the quality of the product than money.

Sorry if this came across as a rant or an attack. I am just so endlessly sick and frustrated with the horrible way the game industry works, the toxic and symbiotic relationship between gamedevs and consumers, and how immature and short-sighted most gamers are. The industry would be fixed overnight if we all came to this realisation and stopped supporting barebones experiences and exploitative business practices.

I may delete this if it turns out to be too incendiary or offputting for this discussion. Don't get me wrong, what this company is doing is egregious - but they are doing it with the consent of the gaming public and will likely be rewarded for doing so by the very people who complained about it in the first place. I am very glad you mentioned that further down in your post, but the first and foremost message is "look how evil this company is being". I at least appreciate the effort.

Your post isn't incendary or offputting, or anything, it's well reasoned, and above all not intended to be offensive (so deleting it would be unfair to your freedom of speech). I disagree with some of what you said, agree with most of it, and it's always good to take part in a reasoned debate instead of an Internet shout-athon.

The average age of gamers is increasing (I think it's around mid-thirties now, at least in the USA?), so perhaps in the near future, what with the cost of living crisis and people reaching middle age and having to plan for their later years, we gamers might get a little smarter when it comes to buying games. Not much smarter, though - we are still human.

Incidentally, please don't misunderstand me about DLC. I *love* great DLC. It can really enhance or lengthen your enjoyment of a beloved game, it's just that sometimes it can feel like it should have been part of the best game. Or it can be disappointingly short. And so on.
665b011889ac4
BTW, I too am no fan of modern gaming. We stil get a few truly great games, but most don't interest me anymore. All of my consoles are still connected up (N64, original XBox, PS2, XBox 360, PS3, and PS4 (I don't yet have a current gen. console, as I've not seen anything on any that I *really* want to play) and a Nintendo Wii that I bought to play my Gamecube games on when my Gamecube died, I got the Wii so I could play Metroid Prime 3, but sadly I can't adjust to motion controls), plus my PC and laptop, and I play older games much more than new.

And I don't think that the gaming industry is 'evil', literally. Just generally very indifferent to what it's customers want, and much more so than most other industries, who at least try to seem like they want to support and please their customers.

Maybe it's because, or at least started out because, the gaming industry is so relatively new. I don't know.

On a tangent, one of my personal gripes about the gaming industry, and I know a probably small but hardcore group of gamers would agree with me here, is the gaming industries reluctance to bring older games to virtual reality. There are countless old but great games
that would be wonderful in VR, such as the two System Shocks, the Doom games, the Quake games, the Unreal Tournament games, old consile games such as Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, the Timesplitters games (especially the last two), and many more, yet the industry seems to ignore this idea, and instead write new, and so often *massively* inferior new games instead for VR.

Some clever PC users are making great strides in getting really popular older games to work in VR, but it does seem surprising to me (admittedly a non-Industry insider, of course) that the companies don't see that say a Timeplitters Trilogy VR compilation, would be very popular, and surely easier produce than a brand new game?

Or a Quake VR Quadrilogy. Or a complete Unreal VR set. Though in the latter case, I don't think many people would mind if they left out Unreal 2, Unreal 2003, and Unreal 3. Just so long as they included Unreal, the fantastic Unreal Tournament (1999), and Unreal Tournament 2004. And maybe the brilliant (original XBox exclusive) Unreal Championship 2, too (I would *love* that!).

665b011889b56Pacmikey

« Last Edit: 20. August 2023, 01:23:00 by Pacmikey »
Acknowledged by 2 members: Chandlermaki, icemann

665b01188ac23icemann

665b01188ac82
These problems are caused deliberately by games companies, it is the gaming companies who decide to release games that haven't been properly debugged first, it is they who release games with 'less than honest' marketing and videos, they release games with that require ridiculous amounts of hard-drive space (this is especially bad with console games, as you're usually stuck with a much smaller hard drive), and so on. We paying customers have no say in any of that.

Just wanted to speak on this particular bit of your post, and note that my response is in a general sense of the games industry as a whole, and not for the specific game central to the earlier discussion.

Fully debugged/bug tested games is pretty much like finding a unicorn. Impossible on PC. Consoles sure, PC no. You firstly have the technical side of every person having different hardware combinations, which can be very difficult to test for. Consoles on the other hand don't suffer from this, since all have the same parts.

Now game wise, testing for every possible thing a user could do should be done yes, though at the same time there is going to be some user interactions / combinations of user interactions that often a developer just never thinks of. And stuff like that has gone on since pretty much day 1 of the games industry. Or when it evolved past super simple Pong clones at the very least. At the very least though sure, there should be proper QA testing. Especially nowadays with such gargantuan games being made, with dev teams in the hundreds and sometimes thousands.

Buggy games though, if it's on a Cyberpunk 2077 level or Fallout New Vegas (how it was on launch) then sure that's bad, and yes games shouldn't be released like that for sure.

As for "less than honest marketing and videos" I would not say that every company does that. Some yes (eg Cyberpunk 2077, No Man's Sky, Aliens Colonial Marines spring to mind immediately), but definitely not all of them. Some of that is due to higher ups at companies, and other times it's due to the lead game designers (eg Fable with Peter Molyneux and No Man's Sky with Sean Murry).

Large hard drive space is just a sign of the times, as models and textures in the resolutions that they are in require FAR more space, than say a game out of the 90s or early 00's. If you even compare a simple 2D sprite, that would likely take a few kilobytes, but then go up to a 3D model and that's going to be far larger. You can see this across games per decade, even if you only stick to console gaming. Compare very early Atari 2600 games and those take up literally a few bytes. Jump to the Super Nintendo and now the games were a few megabytes due to higher graphics and sound, and just goes up from there. Go another 10-20 years from now (if we've not all blown ourselves to smithereens by then) and likely you'll have 1 Terabyte games as the norm.

On a tangent, one of my personal gripes about the gaming industry, and I know a probably small but hardcore group of gamers would agree with me here, is the gaming industries reluctance to bring older games to virtual reality. There are countless old but great games
that would be wonderful in VR, such as the two System Shocks, the Doom games, the Quake games, the Unreal Tournament games, old console games such as Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, the Timesplitters games (especially the last two), and many more, yet the industry seems to ignore this idea, and instead write new, and so often *massively* inferior new games instead for VR.

The Doom games have VR support. I played Doom 1 in VR and Mechwarrior 2, at a computer swapmeet back in the 90s. It was interesting, but not the way I'd want to play them. As for the rest of the games you mention, be interesting.

Problem with VR as that besides Halflife: Alyx, there isn't any killer apps for it. Those games that have everyone saying "You have to play -insert game name here- in VR". And it (VR) is still very niche.
« Last Edit: 27. November 2022, 15:34:30 by icemann »

665b01188af14Nameless Voice

665b01188af6d
But consumers did ask for all those things, even if indirectly.

Buggy games?  People keep demanding that the games launch as soon as possible, they are not willing to wait.  Look at the huge uproar if a highly-anticipated game is delayed.  People are less upset if a game releases on-time with bugs than if it is delayed to fix those bugs.

(Let alone what Icemann said, and that as games get increasingly complex it becomes increasingly difficult to find all the bugs during testing.)

Bots in multiplayer games?  Most people didn't use them.  Again, should the company take time and resources away from other parts of the game to add a feature most people don't care about?

Cheats?  Again, I'd imagine most developers don't bother to include them because they'd take development time to implement properly, and could lead to more bugs (need a UI for them, have to deal with how they interact with achievements, etc.).  Since few enough players use them, they aren't considered important.

Huge games?  People want higher fidelity, they want high-res textures that look great up-close in 4K.  Those take up a huge amount of space.  Most of the space in games these days in textures.

Even the habit of splitting things off into extra DLC and special editions on launch is a result of us wanting games prices to stay the same, while the cost of development (and everything else) has gone up dramatically.  Game prices haven't increased in line with inflation.

Though, yeah, pretty sure no one asked for unskippable cutscenes, except maybe the legal department who want to force you to read the legal blurb or epilepsy warning every time the game starts.
« Last Edit: 28. November 2022, 11:40:14 by Nameless Voice »
665b01188bb7a
Just wanted to speak on this particular bit of your post, and note that my response is in a general sense of the games industry as a whole, and not for the specific game central to the earlier discussion.

Fully debugged/bug tested games is pretty much like finding a unicorn. Impossible on PC. Consoles sure, PC no. You firstly have the technical side of every person having different hardware combinations, which can be very difficult to test for. Consoles on the other hand don't suffer from this, since all have the same parts.

I agree that it's very difficult and time/effort consuming to bug-test a game to perfection, hence my writing "[...the game not be released until it] can reasonably be assessed to be bug-free". We gamer don't expect a game to be perfect, smaller bugs can fall through the testing net, but the fact that it's not uncommon for a game to come out on a certain day, and within that same day forums can be full of people posting about finding pretty obvious bugs, graphical glitches, etc, and that this doesn't signal industry-wide surprise says so much about how lazy the gaming industry has become. I'm not even talking about the cases of stupendously bugged games being released (such as Batman: Arkham Knight, Aliens: Colonial Marines, the recently released Grand Theft Auto trilogy remaster, Cyberpunk 2077, Fallout 76, etc), as, as terrible as those games were at launch, they at least had the virtue of it being very rare to see a commercial game being launched in such a deplorable state. Plus I'd imagine that most of those cases managed to hit their maker's company hard exactly where it hurt, financially and with regard to the company's reputation, so hopefully the companies learned from those terrible launches.

What I am complaining about is that we take post release game patches for granted now, as games companies have made it so commonplace to release games without proper testing. No one thinks anything of a game having two or three patches released for it now, and it just shouldn't be that way.

But yes, it is unrealistic to expect any game of any complexity at all to be totally bug-free. Even back in the game cartridge days, when games companies *really* didn't want to release a game with a game-effecting bug, as the only cure was likely to recall and replace the games cartridges, which was costly both financially and in reputation, bugs still managed to get through the reasonably vigorous testing procedures.

Back in those days, about the only advantage of being a PAL gamer (since the PAL version of an NTSC game would almost always come out later than the NTSC version, sometimes weeks or even months later) was that you could be reasonably sure that the PAL cartridge was fine, since the game's makers had had time to fix any bugs that had been reported by customers who had bought the NTSC verrsion.

Now game wise, testing for every possible thing a user could do should be done yes, though at the same time there is going to be some user interactions / combinations of user interactions that often a developer just never thinks of. And stuff like that has gone on since pretty much day 1 of the games industry. Or when it evolved past super simple Pong clones at the very least. At the very least though sure, there should be proper QA testing. Especially nowadays with such gargantuan games being made, with dev teams in the hundreds and sometimes thousands.

Back in the 8 bit computer days, bug-testing, was mostly done by the single programmer who was writing the game. Thinking about it, it's perhaps surprising how few 8 bit computer games had serious bugs. On the other hand, when the only person testing the game was the bloke who was writing it, then you occasionally ended up with a game that the programmer could complete blindfolded, since the game's logic and timing was burnt into the programmer's mind, but new players found the game too hard to play.

Buggy games though, if it's on a Cyberpunk 2077 level or Fallout New Vegas (how it was on launch) then sure that's bad, and yes games shouldn't be released like that for sure.

As for "less than honest marketing and videos" I would not say that every company does that. Some yes (eg Cyberpunk 2077, No Man's Sky, Aliens Colonial Marines spring to mind immediately), but definitely not all of them. Some of that is due to higher ups at companies, and other times it's due to the lead game designers (eg Fable with Peter Molyneux and No Man's Sky with Sean Murry).

Yep, it isn't a common problem. But it does occur and doesn't seem to overly effect the guilty company's future fortunes when it is pointed out.

And regarding No Man's Sky, from what I've heard, they really worked hard to repair the bad publicity and bad feeling of the release, from what I've read. I've never played the game, but apparently the company had continued to release free patches to really improve the game leaps and bounds, long after most companies would have said "We won't see any new profits from this game, so let's sstop working on it now, and start creating a new game".

Large hard drive space is just a sign of the times, as models and textures in the resolutions that they are in require FAR more space, than say a game out of the 90s or early 00's. If you even compare a simple 2D sprite, that would likely take a few kilobytes, but then go up to a 3D model and that's going to be far larger. You can see this across games per decade, even if you only stick to console gaming. Compare very early Atari 2600 games and those take up literally a few bytes. Jump to the Super Nintendo and now the games were a few megabytes due to higher graphics and sound, and just goes up from there. Go another 10-20 years from now (if we've not all blown ourselves to smithereens by then) and likely you'll have 1 Terabyte games as the norm.

Yeah, I know all that, but when you consider the uncompressed audio, for example, you wonder why - it's not like any modern PC or console can't uncompress compressed audio files on the fly.

And why are some patches mandatory? Doom 2016 on the PS4, for example. It's around 30 GB when you install it from disc, and when you've installed the patches it then takes up around 76 GB. The thing is, most of the 40+ GB of patches is for the multiplayer and the maker maker, none of which I use. I only play the single player, but you can't sort the single player patches from the multiplayer patches, you have to have the lot, you don't get to choose what patches you install.

The Doom games have VR support. I played Doom 1 in VR and Mechwarrior 2, at a computer swapmeet back in the 90s. It was interesting, but not the way I'd want to play them. As for the rest of the games you mention, be interesting.

I didn't even know there were usable VR goggles that could be coupled to a gaming PC back in the 90s! I know that nowadays you can use a modded source port to play Doom on VR, but I'm hoping for proper commercial versions of old, favourite games (Doom, Unreal Tournament, etc) and not kludged third party fixes that can be problematic, though to be fair I've not tried VR in at least couple of years, so maybe the standards are much higher now.

Problem with VR as that besides Halflife: Alyx, there isn't any killer apps for it. Those games that have everyone saying "You have to play -insert game name here- in VR". And it (VR) is still very niche.

Exactly.
665b01188c591
But consumers did ask for all those things, even if indirectly.

Buggy games?  People keep demanding that the games launch as soon as possible, they are not willing to wait.  Look at the huge uproar if a highly-anticipated game is delayed.  People are less upset if a game releases on-time with bugs than if it is delayed to fix those bugs.

That's true, mostly. But not always. I think most people would have preferred games like Batman: Arkham Knight, and Cyberpunk 2077 to have been developed another week and to have at least the worst faults fixed, rather than releasing something that was next to unplayable on a lot of machines.

I do think it's often better if they were released properly later, rather than a week or a month of bugged early access. But many people are just so impatient, as you say.

(Let alone what Icemann said, and that as games get increasingly complex it becomes increasingly difficult to find all the bugs during testing.)

Bots in multiplayer games?  Most people didn't use them.  Again, should the company take time and resources away from other parts of the game to add a feature most people don't care about?

Quite a few people like and use bots, so yes, companies should at least consider adding them, where they could benefit a given game. Many people don't play online, I very rarely do myself, so should the company take time and resources from other parts of the game to add multiplayer when many people will never play it?

If a game has bots, then you can *always* find a game on the map you choose, using the weapons you choose, using the game-rules that you choose, against opponents with the skill level that you choose, any time day or night. Even if your internet connection is down, it won't effect your ability to play against bots. And when the game's makers eventually shut down the official servers, then you can still play against bots.

Plus bots won't make racist comments, won't rage-quit if you're winning, won't shoot their team-mates in their backs as a 'joke', won't hog all the good strategic spots on a map, and they will (if the game supports bot-commanding) do as you tell them to so that they will guard a base or whatever, even if no human player would want to do it.

Many good online games, or games with good online modes, are either dead now, due to no one playing them anymore, or still have human players but those players have been playing so long that they are all but unplayable for new players, so if you even try to play them you'll likely be beaten within a few minutes. Then you'll try again and again, and eventually get bored and abandon the game altogether.

Games with bots, however, are always there for you. I can still play such ancient but fantastic games as Perfect Dark, the Timesplitters games, the Unreal Tournament (and Unreal, and Unreal Championship 2) games, Quake 3, Conker's Bad Fur Day, any time I like, exactly how I like. That's what good bots can do for a game, and why they deserve to be included in any game that would suit them.

Cheats?  Again, I'd imagine most developers don't bother to include them because they'd take development time to implement properly, and could lead to more bugs (need a UI for them, have to deal with how they interact with achievements, etc.).  Since few enough players use them, they aren't considered important.

Are you saying that unless a certain percentage (75%, 51%?) of people would use a given function or feature, then the company should not incorporate that feature/function? Why shouldn't a company try to please a percentage of it's potential customers  when it doesn't involve displeasing the rest of the customer base? If I use bots or a cheat function in a single game, then it doesn't effect you (as someone else playing that game in isolation from me) at all, so why not? I have absolutely zero interest in achievement points/trophies, but if other people like them, then I think that games should include them.

And adding cheats wouldn't take too long (half a day, including testing?), make the game disable achievements when any of the cheats is used, and if some people got more fun out of the game thanks to them, then why not?

Huge games?  People want higher fidelity, they want high-res textures that look great up-close in 4K.  Those take up a huge amount of space.  Most of the space in games these days in textures.

That doesn't mean that the companies should try to save space where possible. It's not really a problem on the PC, but on consoles it can be.

Even the habit of splitting things off into extra DLC and special editions on launch is a result of us wanting games prices to stay the same, while the cost of development (and everything else) has gone up dramatically.  Game prices haven't increased in line with inflation.

I don't think anyone is complaining about good DLC. It's when the DLC is bad, or too short, or seems like it should have been part of the base game, that it becomes objectionable.

And you're right about the prices, of course. The number of people working on an AAA game can easily get into three figures now, so in that respect game prices haven't kept up with the cost of development. That's a complicated mess that no one seems keen to address at the moment.

Though, yeah, pretty sure no one asked for unskippable cutscenes, except maybe the legal department who want to force you to read the legal blurb or epilepsy warning every time the game starts.

And non-configurable controls, text that is too small to read on some game interfaces (unless you're Superman), checkpoints that always occur just *before* and not after an unskippable cutscene, ...

665b01188c6f9Nameless Voice

665b01188c74d
It's an opportunity cost.  If you only have so much time to develop things before you have to release (because of deadlines, demand, etc.), then what do you prioritise working on?

Things that will affect all your players, or things that only a few players will care about?

Think how buggy games already are on release - imagine if they'd spent even less time testing and bugfixing because they were working on extra features like cheats and compressing the game files more.

Let's use the cheats as an example.  While it sounds like it might only take a little time (and nothing ever takes as short as it seems in development), it would also add a lot of extra things which all need to be tested.  How do the cheats react on each level? Does mixing different cheats break anything or crash the game?  Someone would have to test the whole game with at least each cheat enabled, and that wouldn't guarantee that combinations were stable.

665b01188d194icemann

665b01188d215
Back in the 8 bit computer days, bug-testing, was mostly done by the single programmer who was writing the game. Thinking about it, it's perhaps surprising how few 8 bit computer games had serious bugs. On the other hand, when the only person testing the game was the bloke who was writing it, then you occasionally ended up with a game that the programmer could complete blindfolded, since the game's logic and timing was burnt into the programmer's mind, but new players found the game too hard to play.

Yep, it isn't a common problem. But it does occur and doesn't seem to overly effect the guilty company's future fortunes when it is pointed out.

And regarding No Man's Sky, from what I've heard, they really worked hard to repair the bad publicity and bad feeling of the release, from what I've read. I've never played the game, but apparently the company had continued to release free patches to really improve the game leaps and bounds, long after most companies would have said "We won't see any new profits from this game, so let's stop working on it now, and start creating a new game".

On 8-bit games dev (and I only know of this due to reading Retro Gamer Magazine) it did happen for computer (and by computer I'm meaning the Commodore 64 and Amiga) games to get "patches", though it was not a common thing, and those patches would be revisions sent out, if game breaking bugs were found. Would suck to be the owner of a release version of a game back then in those cases, as you'd have unbeatable games.

No Man's Sky: I didn't play the original release of it, as due to all the bad reports coming in, I chose to wait a few years to play it. On playing it, I found the game to be excellent and super addictive. Was all I played for several months. It does lose some of the fun factor once you have all the unlockable tech. I had the most fun on super hazardous worlds, with barely any resources and not much technical knowledge. Later it becomes more about exploring, and upgrading your ship to the max. The devs did a fine job of getting the game fixed up, and better matching to what had been expected on launch, and then some as they've gone well and truly beyond that nowadays.
1 Guest is here.
"Sayonara Baby!" (Terminator II, Spanish version)
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
665b01188e1c4