66681c10e672f

66681c10e6f96
1 Guest is here.

Topic: SSTools trouble! Help Read 6868 times  

66681c10e7935J Tomas

66681c10e79a3
Just discovered this amazing game and it's 2010! I'm 10 years late!

SS2 does not work if I just install it straight it does not even load

However I can run normal SS2 perfectly after patching and a few tweaks it is when I try and install SSTool to get mod manager working that I run into trouble.

Before I start these are my specs:

Win XP Home SP2
Toshiba Satellite M30
1.7Ghz Intel Pentium (R) M
2.O GB RAM
64mb NVIDIA Geforce FX Go5200

To get the game running I have to do this:

1)Full install SS2
2)Download the official SS2 patch to upgrade the game to version 2.3
3)Add the lines..

safe_texture_manager
sfx_no_asynch_all 1

..to the file called "cam"
4)Create a text file called "safe_texture_manager"
5)Download the shock2 fix from: http://www.sshock2.com/files/shock2fixed.zip, rename shock2 to shock2.old and rename new shock2fix to shock2.exe

And that's it the game works very smoothly is maxed out graphically and is very stable (I played solidly for 3 hours) no crashes no glitches perefectly smooth. (P.S. I used the following guide to get it working: http://www.movietome.com/users/samusarmada/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=m-100-25435835).

Now I began the game for a bit although a friend of mine who knows the game (and suggested in the first place that I play it) recommended I up the graphics with Rebirth etc. So I decided to investigate, and I would really like to play the game from the start again with the up gunned graphics.

My problems arise when I try to install SSTool:

When I install the SSTool which is required to install the SSmanager if I do a full install of all the components in SSTool the game runs ok (a little slower it is glichty when I look at the smoke coming out of the vent just when I walk out of the train at the beginning and take a right) but all the lighting is messed up, the lighting appears really blocky and rectangular on the walls. The additions of mods such as Rebirth or other texture packs does not better this. (Please note DDfix and Widescreen Mod I am using 1280*800 which is the max for my laptop res).

I did a full re-install several times and tried a number of options each time I re-install SS2 fully:
Tweaking = means what I had to do originally to get the game working (as described above):
No tweaking = means I just fully installed the game fresh no upgrades or patches.

1) No tweaking just loaded SSTool fully straight after installing SS2 fully: Exactly the same result: Blocky lighting and glitchy running when I look at the steam coming out of the vent)

2) Again no tweaking but only these options selected in SSTool: Patching Up, Getting Mod Ready and Bug Fixes: Results in the menu opening up windowed as soon as the ingame loads crashes to windows

3) Tweaking and same as above: Result same as in number 2.

4) Tweaking and only Patching up and getting mod ready: Game will not load message says directx6 required (when I installed this no difference).

5) Tweaking but only getting mod ready: SSManager will not install cannot recognise folder

6) No tweaking but just patching up: Directx6 trouble again

7) No tweaking but patching up and bug fixes: Game loaded in window again but crashes again like before.

I believe that the trouble seems to be within the bug fixes but after messing around with installation a while I failed to no avail.

Can anyone help me out, I really just want to get the ModManager up and running, my game was running fine before that and I would just like to upgrade the models and guns etc. Like rebirth or shtup etc.

Thanks
66681c10e7bda
The SS2Tool is not a precondition to use the mod manager.

66681c10e7ca3J Tomas

66681c10e7cf6
Whenever I try to install the mod manager, it will not recognise the system shock folder? Is this me being a serious noob?

66681c10e7dd6J Tomas

66681c10e7e26
It appears I have got it working.

I managed to install the mod manager.

It did not want to recognise the folder because of the tweaking I had done to get the game working. It worked when I installed a fresh copy and then tweaked the game to get it to work.
66681c10e7f28
You just have to point the mod manager to your shock2.exe, it doesn't care where it is or about any tweaks.
1 Guest is here.
Meanwhile, somewhere in the Pacific...
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
66681c10e8ba9