665c97d279042

665c97d279a61
1 Guest is here.

Topic: Installing SS2 on a Mac. Is it possible? Read 3071 times  

665c97d279f77Fironkkuify

665c97d279fef
I know I must be annoying ya with all the questions about installing SS2 but I need to know before I go to all the trouble and waste my time trying to find a solution to something impossible.

Is it possible to install SS2 on a Mac?  If so, can anyone give me any pointers as to instructions (maybe even a previous topic) on how to accomplish this? 

Be very well appreciated. -w-;
665c97d27a268
Unlike SS1 there is no mac port of SS2, ie you cannot run SS2 natively on a mac. You can resort to emulation however. As far as I know there is a mac version of Wine. See also: SS2 in Wine

The simpler and better solution performance-wise would be to create a Windows partition with Bootcamp.

665c97d27a31dFironkkuify

665c97d27a375
Ah damn...

Well, thanks for the answer anyway Kolya

665c97d27a48dZylonBane

665c97d27a4da
My brain hurts now. It hurts like it wants to die.
Brain hurting like it wants to die.
665c97d27a5bd
Is it possible? :paranoid:

665c97d27a64fFironkkuify

665c97d27a699
Don't make a promise you can't keep

665c97d27a735gaspalorz

665c97d27a795
it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts

665c97d27a8ffgaspalorz

665c97d27a94c
Found it in resource file. I don't recall seeing it in-game, though.

665c97d27ae97Enchantermon

665c97d27af0c
it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts
Thanks, now the nightmares are going to come back. ;)

665c97d27b1d3ZylonBane

665c97d27b24e
Don't make a promise you can't keep
I assure you that reading some of your posts does indeed make my brain hurt that much.

665c97d27b446voodoo47

665c97d27b49c
I envy you. after 10+ years on various forums, I don't feel anything anymore..

665c97d27b7c9Fironkkuify

665c97d27b829
I assure you that reading some of your posts does indeed make my brain hurt that much.

If that's the case I hate to see how you'd react to real ignorance or stupidity.  There's plenty of it everywhere else on the internet.  The kind of stuff those people leave is actually capable of making you lose brain cells because you can't help but wonder if they even made it past kindergarten in terms of common sense.

Questions like the one I asked I only ask because I'm not well-assiociated with computer programs and the like; what works and what doesn't work.  All I have is relatively beginner's knowledge.

Other questions I might ask (like what's your favorite track from SS2?) is just a random question.

But you already knew that much.

665c97d27b945Fironkkuify

665c97d27b9e0
Anyhow though, I'd say this question's pretty much been answered.  It's not like anyone else is going to add any useful input at this point.

665c97d27be55gaspalorz

665c97d27bec1
It's not like anyone else is going to add any useful input at this point.
Wrong! If you want to expand your knowledge, start here and then move here (also check the comparison table). This should give you the basics needed to answer your question yourself. Aha - don't get fooled with Windows' Portable Executable file format gimmick - it doesn't do what it makes you think it does!

Anyways...
I envy you. after 10+ years on various forums, I don't feel anything anymore..
Cyborg conversion activated... :cyborg:

665c97d27c2f8
If that's the case I hate to see how you'd react to real ignorance or stupidity.  There's plenty of it everywhere else on the internet.  The kind of stuff those people leave is actually capable of making you lose brain cells because you can't help but wonder if they even made it past kindergarten in terms of common sense.

Which is probably how ZB feels about the first post. Perceptions...
Personally I don't have a problem with stupid questions if I feel there's a will to learn and not just GIMME!
I myself learned more from ZylonBane and NamelessVoice than any other persons on the web. And I was very green when I started. :awesome:

Anyway, a program is written in a humanly readable programming language (like C++) and then compiled (translated into machine code) for the platform it is supposed to run on. Since Macs use a completely different Operating System and file system, programs are usually not compatible between PC and Mac.
Files on the other hand are generally compatible (eg images, text, etc) as long as they don't rely on a program that is only available on one system.

665c97d27c6b8Fironkkuify

665c97d27c712
Anyway, a program is written in a humanly readable programming language (like C++) and then compiled (translated into machine code) for the platform it is supposed to run on. Since Macs use a completely different Operating System and file system, programs are usually not compatible between PC and Mac.
Files on the other hand are generally compatible (eg images, text, etc) as long as they don't rely on a program that is only available on one system.

Didn't Apple systems exist just as long as Windows systems? I remember the Macintosh which was said to be what Windows copied for their computers.

So if PC games are created only with Windows in mind, what exactly does Mac get?  Or are some PC games usually created with both in mind?
665c97d27c8a1
Some games are created for both platforms. Not many though.
As far as PC gaming goes one can't get around Windows, or will be severely limited in the number of games to play.

Back in the day Windows may have taken some clues from Macintosh to create the Graphical User Interface (GUI) of Windows 95. Though at that time several window-based Operating Systems (OS) were around (eg the AMIGA Workbench). It certainly didn't involve any sharing of code and is hence irrelevant for compatibility matters, especially since that is all nearly a thousand years ago now.

665c97d27c99fFironkkuify

665c97d27c9fd
Well, what about Wine?  I heard about it years ago on that site you gave me the link to.  Judging from what ya said it's some kind of emulator? 

At the very least I know that emulators are meant to play games and such whose coding has been completely converted or redone to make it playable for a PC (or whatever system the emulator happened to be created for since an emulator exists for the PSP).
665c97d27cbb6
Yes, Wine is an emulator to run Windows programs on various Unix-like systems, including Linux and whatever Apple uses these days.

665c97d27ccb9Enchantermon

665c97d27cd17
Emulators, as far as games are concerned, imitate a certain system (a Gameboy, for example) inside another system (Windows, for example), so that programs made for the imitated system can be utilized on the incompatible system. Wine is not an emulator; but rather a compatibility layer.

665c97d27d111Fironkkuify

665c97d27d16c
Emulators, as far as games are concerned, imitate a certain system (a Gameboy, for example) inside another system (Windows, for example), so that programs made for the imitated system can be utilized on the incompatible system. Wine is not an emulator; but rather a compatibility layer.

So in other words, a Gameboy emulator is exactly like a Gameboy? 

That would definitely explain why I was able to play a PS1 CD on my PC using a PSX emulator.
665c97d27d287
Either that or a wizard did it.
1 Guest is here.
The ultimate test of advanced territorial strategy for all the family
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
665c97d27dc7a