665cb9e65cf1a

Page: [1] 2 ... 5 »
665cb9e65dbce
1 Guest is here.

Topic: System Shock 2 Virgin Read 11278 times  

665cb9e65e29dRevolver

665cb9e65e30e
Hey there, gentlemen, I have a question for y'all. I've heard a lot of positive things about SS 2, and decided long ago to give it a shot. Unfortunately, I never really accomplished my intentions. 'Course, us young gamers really don't bother with stuff that old, we care mostly about the visuals, etc, etc... And that's all true to some extent....
Anyway, as my computer is too weak to run modern tech-marvels of mid 2011 and later, I've been getting more and more into older games, and I have to say, I was really blown off by some of them. (Especially Of Steamworks And Magic Obscura, though I had never finished that one)
So, what I need from you guys is the info on some good mods, tips and tricks.
I already have the following ones: SHTUP Beta 6, ADaOB v030, SS2 Rebirth v02, SS2 Schatten Shmup, SS2MM 1.10 Beta Build 0.0.4.048, SS2 Tool v3.6, proper cigs :awesome:, SS2 Kolya Loading Screen Mod, Various Tacticool weapon mods, Shnup SS2 Interface Upgrade v1.0 by Densei and Hi Res player models.
Are there any other mods I should install? (No matter how trivial they seem, if they're good) Or are some of these above outdated, conflicting with each other, or just not necessary? I'm also planing on downloading DeepFriedBeer's sound upgrade,  HiTorque's MedSci and SS2 Eldron psi-amp v2, do you approve?
You don't need to bother explaining the installation and implementation of mods, I'll try to get around that one on my own. I'm pretty sure there are some guides for newbies on this forum, but I'd appreciate if you'd throw a few tips my way. (Just some core stuff, what to focus on in development, etc)
P.S. Please excuse my English, there shouldn't be any spelling mistakes, but a few grammar ones might have slipped by. Anyway, I think it's quite understandable, and decent for someone whose native language is quite different.  8)

665cb9e65e48dvoodoo47

665cb9e65e4ef
just a little note before I go to sleep - I would avoid gameplay changing mods if this is your first run.
665cb9e65e79f
Leave out Shnup. (Have you seen the screenshots?)
Leave out my Loading Screen Mod as well. It spazzes out on newer machines. And even when it works it's just a daft distraction. Check out my crosshairs though! :awesome:
Also leave out HiTorque's MedSci. It's more of a cool experiment and scatters way too many powerups.
High res player models are useless on a single player run. And you don't want your first run to be mutiplayer (really you don't).
Eld's psi amp is cool and so are the Tacticool guns of course. But all you really need for a first run is SHTUP.

Check out ZylonBane's Newbie Guide for worthwhile and spoiler free tips.
665cb9e65e89e
A tip about this forum: If you try to create a new thread in the archives your thread gets automatically relocated to the Recreation Deck forum. You can answer existing threads in the archives though.

665cb9e65e9e2Revolver

665cb9e65ea34
Shnup? I thought that was a music mod? How could I see it's effects in screen shots?  :P Or were you thinking about rebirth? Well, yes, I was thinking on avoiding such mods, but as much as I've heard, the ADaOB mod just fixes some bugs and does minor tweaks, to quote: "(it) fixes and rebalances a huge number of anomalies, discrepancies and bugs, all while staying true to the developers intentions." Plus, it includes the the SHEMP mod and the shell casing mod.
I didn't know that that about the med-sci one, I thought it only changes doors and stuff in the med level. I'm guessing the upgrade system is somewhat similar to Dead Space? (Or Deus Ex perhaps) You collect nodes? Kay, I'll skip the loading screens and check out your cross-hairs mod. :)
Nice, thanks for the guide, I'll be sure to check it out.
Oh, no, I don't intend to play co-op, at least not now. So I'll skip that too. Also, will it work in a 1680x1050 16:10 widescreen resolution? I've got windows XP SP3, so that won't be a problem, I think. Hah, I can't wait to plat it. :awesome:

665cb9e65eb6fRevolver

665cb9e65ebc8
Apparently , I can't edit my posts, (probably need to register first) but what I wanted to add is that I've installed SS2, (Full install, of course) the the SS2 Tool and then the mod manager. Now, I don't need the CD to run it, and I didn't crack the game in any way. (must have been the work of SS2 Tool, not that I'm complaining) I've installed the ADaOB mod, but when I wanted to apply SHTUP, it said that they were conflicting. I did apply it in the end, but will this cause any problems? Also, I don't need any patches, they were all included in the tool and ADaOB, right?
So, do I install rebirth after the SHTUP? Kolya, sorry, I misunderstood you, you were referring to the HUD update mod, right?

665cb9e65ed7aZylonBane

665cb9e65edea
Graphics mods conflict with each other all the time, because they're often replacing the same graphics. Always put SHTUP at the lowest priority, so that more specific graphics mods can override it.

665cb9e65eeb7Revolver

665cb9e65ef08
How to set priorities? If you mean to install other mods later, then I've done that. First the ADaOB, then SHTUP Beta 6, then rebirth, etc. But the mananger shows them in different order.

665cb9e65efa1Revolver

665cb9e65efee
And what about Vurt's mods? (Space, water, etc)
665cb9e65f37f
Kolya, sorry, I misunderstood you, you were referring to the HUD update mod, right?
Yip.

Mod priorities are set as you thought (later activated mods overwrite earlier ones).
Also remember that you can exchange most mods in the same run, except for gamesys mods (ADaoB, SecMod).

665cb9e65f45dRevolver

665cb9e65f4b0
Oh, thanks, guys, hopefully, I'll start the game tomorrow, if I get all the mods I need. I hope thing won't end up like they did with Morrowind. (I got so caught up with the mods, I've never even started the game) Kay, I get what you mean, I'm leaving out the hud mod. And Vurt's stuff, anyone? So, I guess that it's best to play this game during nighttime  with the lights off?  :D

665cb9e65f557Revolver

665cb9e65f5a1
Hell yeah, man, now i can finally play the game! :awesome: Btw, the intro voice is all reverby and like, is that how it;s supposed to be?

665cb9e65f642voodoo47

665cb9e65f69e
yeah, it' all echoy and reverby for all I remember.

665cb9e65f765Revolver

665cb9e65f7af
Thanks. There's something that has been bothering me. I have a bunch of mods installed, but the first 5 should be: 1.ADaOB, SHTUP, Rebirth, SHMUP and DFB's sound mod. Then all the others. (tacticool, psi amp, etc) Is that the correct order? Also, what about Vurt's mods? Do I need them even after Rebirth and SHTUP?

665cb9e65f83cvoodoo47

665cb9e65f88b
yes to everything - but do note that vut's water mod is not compatible with ADAOB.

665cb9e65f91eZylonBane

665cb9e65f96c
Which Rebirth mod did you install? Some of the changes made by the standard version are... controversial.

665cb9e65fa50Revolver

665cb9e65faa3
The latest one, I guess, in the MM it's listed as Rebirth 02. ADaOB is 0.3.0, SHTUP is Beta 6. DFB sound is .3b, shmup sound is 1.1. Right, so, I'll skip the water, what about space and plants? If rebirth and SHTUP upgrade that too, do I really need Vurt's mod? Also, is there any other mods you would like to suggest? (Preferably graphical, I've never played the game before, so I don't think I would need any game-play altering ones)

665cb9e65fb4evoodoo47

665cb9e65fb98
you should be good with those you have mentioned. and I would definitely go for vurt's space, it's simply beautiful. the plants are nice, but not mandatory, and there is a performance hit involved.

665cb9e65fc73Revolver

665cb9e65fcc1
Haha, thanks, man. I'm finally gonna start the game. Just one last question:The game only runs in 16 res mode, correct? And, of course, there's no way to add anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering or English subtitles? (Since the textures get a little jaggy in the distance, and text is only readable from near, for example, the message on the phone booths in the beginning of the game) But it runs in my widescreen desktop resolution, which is great.

665cb9e65fd8dvoodoo47

665cb9e65fdd9
ddfix (part of the ss2tool) forces 32bit rendering (the game will still display 16, but that's ok). it also enables aniso. you can force FSAA via your grphics card's control panel. and no, no subtitles.
« Last Edit: 17. June 2012, 15:09:57 by voodoo47 »

665cb9e65fe9bRevolver

665cb9e65fef1
FSA? Like Full Scree Anti Aliasing? So, I use the nVidia Control Panel, I guess. Oh, it actually worked, the edges are not jagged any more. :awesome: I've set it to 8, cos, frankly, I don't know what the letter standing to the other marks mean. Should I also do this with Aniso? Anything else i should change?

665cb9e65ffafvoodoo47

665cb9e65fffe
no, don't mess with aniso. ddfix handles that, as it needs a bit of a special approach to work correctly. it's already active, so there is no need for further tweaking.

665cb9e6600f1Revolver

665cb9e660142
Ok, thanks, you were right. But I've noticed something weird: During the basic training, when I picked up the med syringe and fermium, I couldn't use either. (Same goes for the pistol, I could only equip it by pressing 2) Why is that? I right clicked on, but nothing happened, neither did the pistol get equiped, or the med used. I know that the right click  works... Btw, in the mere begging, I juped over the fence and into the subway rail. :awesome: Though, you were never supposed to go there, it seems. Also, I've found a basketball while climbing some building prior to training.  XD

665cb9e660205voodoo47

665cb9e66024e
https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=78.0

the railing thing is a bug, the basketball is an easter egg. keep it.
1 Guest is here.
Laws won´t help you now - No voice, no rights no governing body
Page: [1] 2 ... 5 »
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
665cb9e6633e0