665cbc1be2ca5

665cbc1be38fc
1 Guest is here.

Topic: Bloom Effects without DDFix Read 1685 times  

665cbc1be3d0dValorin

665cbc1be3d80
Hello,
I recently patched SS2 up to Version 2.4 and tried to use DDFix to activate Bloom Effects. The game didn't start with the patched exe.
Is there any way to add bloom effects to the game besides DDFix and ENBSeries (Which sets the game to 640x400 at my computer)?

My machine:
Win XP pro
Athlon 2800+
NForce2 Board
Geforce 6600 GT (128mb AGP)
(Yes, this thing is old...)

665cbc1be3f86voodoo47

665cbc1be3fd8
yes - the 2.4 version supports it natively, it can be activated in cam_ext.cfg. but there is no way you will be able to run such a demanding feature on your pc wit sufficient fps.

at this point, I would suggest a clean reinstall, as you have probably borked your current install beyond recovery (patch 2.4, ddfix and EBN don't really stack you see). as long as you keep the resolution reasonable, the game should run fine, even with all the hires mods loaded.
665cbc1be41df
Just to stress that: The NewDark patch v2.4 and DDFix are not compatible. NewDark 2.4 does most of the things DDFix did and then a million more fixes and features. DDFix is over. NewDark v2.4 is here.

665cbc1be4339Valorin

665cbc1be43a1
Thank you very much...
Can anybody tell me why I did't notice this file before? Looking for postprocessing options I opened the cam.cfg, cam_mod.ini and so on... Must have been selective blindness...

Bloom works fine and looks great with only a slight FPS hit, even on my old machine.

665cbc1be44b4Silver83

665cbc1be4500
I didn't find it myself either. Did a research after 2 hrs of playing SS2 after noticing "something was missing". Maybe SS2Tool could implement a few basic ini changes, like Bloom, Scaled and blured UI, etc. Great for new players imo.

And btw.: I manually had to find all good mods by myself. What about some kind of overview (all weapons mods, all texture mods,etc.). There aren't that many mods out there so keeping it up to date should be rather simple. I know some mods are tagged but definitely not all. And understandig the system takes time...
665cbc1be463e
SS2Tool is a tool to get SS2 running on modern systems. Using bloom effects on the other hand is a modding choice that even strays quite a bit from the original game. Scaled UI might become an option.

About mod selection: The basic recommended mods are stickied in the SS2 mods board and I don't think tags are such an alien concept these days. But go ahead and write a mod overview sorted by type, it might very well be useful for others.

665cbc1be46ebMarcelo

665cbc1be4736
Not if you set a lower scale to the bloom effect. I doesn't change anything in the original game. It only improves the lighting effect. To the contrary you could set the threshold to 0.1 and make some sort of render like effect as well.
1 Guest is here.
A list like this couldn’t really be comprehensive sans your inclusion
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
665cbc1be7b24