665b644aa9507

665b644aa9e2c
5 Guests are here.

Topic: GMDX: Deus Ex Mod.
Page: « 1 ... 59 [60] 61 62 »
Read 172619 times  

665b644aaac02sarge945

665b644aaac6c
I have started playing the new version of the mod, it's really great and I love the new features! I remember submitting a handful of change requests to the original GMDX developer, but they were never implemented. My main concern was with the way the Secondary Weapon button works.

I think it would be vastly improved with the following changes:
1. Allow us to set literally any item that can be equipped as our secondary weapon
2. Add an alternate keyboard bind which behaves the same, except it doesn't automatically attack. This is useful when you want to set up a precision shot without having to take into account weapon draw time, as you can hold your secondary weapon key, wait for the weapon to draw, and then aim and fire in your own time. This would be especially useful for grenades
3. Currently, if we have nothing selected, and we press the secondary button key, it should deselect when it's finished (go back to selecting nothing) when we release the button
4. If our secondary weapon is our currently selected weapon, and we press the secondary weapon key, it should do nothing, rather than being an alternative attack button. The secondary weapon part of the hud should also be hidden in this case.
5. When auto-attacking, don't just attack once, but keep attacking until we release the button.

Some other QoL changes:

1. When using the "Interaction Auto Holster" and "Double Click Holstering", the interaction auto holster should work on a double click rather than a single click as it's more consistent. Or maybe not. I dunno.

2. Please add an option to only have subtitles in dialog cutscenes. There is otherwise nothing else going on at the bottom of the screen, and having the big popup in regular gameplay for every "hey you" or "over there" is annoying.

2. Left clicking on breakable objects with nothing equipped should pull out your best melee weapon. I like to leave a crowbar in my inventory and being able to easily switch to/from would be great

3. Left clicking on a medbot or energy bot with nothing equipped should instantly "heal all" or "recharge" if able (skip the menu entirely), but only if it has infinite charges (you're playing on Easy)

5. Add a counter for lockpicks and multitools to their ammo counter, so that we can see at a glance how many we have. This is useful because, with the left-click activation for locked objects, we can pull out a lockpick or a tool without even having the item on our belt, and we might have no idea how many we actually have.

6. Make the NanoKey button (the 0 key by default) switch back to our previously used item if we press it with the key out.

7. Similar to Shifter, the change ammo button with some belt items should change them to something else - binoculars to tech goggles, multitool to lockpick etc.

8. Add a "don't automatically add items to belt" option

9. Add some shortcut keys to use certain items (binoculars, hazmat suit, etc) directly, without having to even have them on your belt

10. Add "toggle crouch" control. I know there's an option for it, but being able to both hold and toggle is useful in a stealth-dominated game where there will be a lot of crouching. The option in the settings would need to be removed.

11. Add "hold" versions of the aug buttons - that is, hold the button to turn it on, release the button to turn it off. This would be EXTREMELY useful in some cases, such as being able to bind something like shift to activate the leg aug and have a powered sprint button, or being able to quickly use the ballistic shield etc.

12. Gameplay option for the Augmentation wheel menu to work "on hold", meaning pressing and holding the button displays it, and it disappears when the button is released, toggling whichever aug is under the cursor. Currently, it disappears when you press the wheel button a second time.

13. If we have double-tap right click to put away weapons, and if there is nothing to currently be activated, maybe there should be an option for the button to activate the current weapon's scope, since right-click feels natural for a lot of people already. IIRC this is a feature of biomod.

Some non-QOL stuff, and admittedly a little controvercial:

1. Storage - add a box to JC Dentons office which will contain the same items between different trips to unatco. Might be useful for storing some weapon mods until a little later into the game when weapons like the plasma rifle appear. This is admittedly controversial, but it was a staple feature of biomod and was one of the cooler aspects of it.

2. Throwing a corpse at a wall with left click using the microfibral muscle aug should gib the corpse, since it seems to destroy virtually everything else including sturdy metal crates.

3. There still doesn't seem to be enough throwing knives in the game. I think Smuggler or someone else should sell them for about 75-100 credits each. I am not doing a low-tech playthrough, so I could be completely wrong, but it seems there are still only about 5-10 throwing knives in the first 3-4 hours, which is pretty bad if it's someones only ranged attack. Maybe I have just missed a bunch

4. Moving the mini-crossbow to Weapons Low-Tech might make low-tech less useless and pistols less OP, and would also give more of a significant playstyle difference between the stealth pistol and the crossbow (other than roleplaying). Having more weapons in more categories IMO will increase the RPG characteristics of the game.

5. Maybe change up some of the logs based on events. A good example is the "eeeasy!!! We want you to take this one alive and conscious" data log after doing the entire statue of liberty stealthily, which is infamous for being out of place. But Alex will still say "The NSF has a security bot on patrol" AFTER you have destroyed it if you snipe it with the GEP gun.

6. If you've seen Ross Scott's review (it's pretty well known), he points out the "Hair: None" on the picture of the NSF leader in the statue. Which isn't true. I would be happy to photoshop that to be correct if you let me know where I can find the file.

7. With the minimum range zoom with the binoculars, the binoculars can be seen through the binoculars at the bottom of the screen. Binocularception!

8. The way Biomod handles "Automatic" augmentations is IMO better than this mod. Basically, automatic augs "activate" themselves when they are relevant. In Biomod, you can still toggle on-off the automatic augs, but they use 0 energy until relevant. This is good because it lets you control when you want those automatic augs to work.

9. If you take out a weapon with a laser, it should remember if the laser was turned on when you pull it out.

10. The screwball that sells the scope outside of Unatco HQ seems to have disappeared after getting the bonus from the first mission

11. A lockpick or multitool should only be removed from the inventory if the thing we were hacking/picking goes down by 1 requirement. So if a door requires 2 picks, and we pick it down to 1 then stop, we should lose our lockpick. Currently, ANY progress on a container or door removes the tool, meaning that if I start picking a lock at 20% (2 picks), then quickly look away, I will stop picking at 19% but still lose the pick (and it will still require 2 picks). Implementing it this way would be more robust and allow accidental mouse movements to not cause resource costs. It has one disadvantage though - there is no penalty for looking away from a door if you suddenly get attacked, but I think the benefits are worth it.

12. I think it would make sense for Environmental Resistance to be an Automatic aug, but with a cost per damage rather than cost per minute, same with ballistic protection. Again, using the "able to turn on Active augs" suggestion I made to not drain all our energy if we decide to turn them off.

13. Can we use multiple items at once please? I want to have ballistic armor and a hazmat suit activated at once

14. This might be a good place to put the list of addictions you have and what each one is doing

Lastly, I think I broke something
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrB_oQUd4rE
« Last Edit: 10. October 2019, 16:16:00 by sarge945 »

665b644aab8a5RoSoDude

665b644aab904
Thanks for playing it, sarge! I'll try to respond point by point.

Regarding secondary items:
1. I don't have plans to expand them any further. The current selection was chosen based on balance, believability, and simplicity of interaction. Quickthrowing grenades makes Demolitions skill investment feel more worthwhile, easily accessible flares and binoculars make them more worth the inventory space, and the combat knife has a niche when it's the only melee weapon you can quickdraw without a perk (medkits and biocells are only available as secondaries through a perk as well). The GEP gun doesn't need any buffs in that regard, nor would it be reasonable for an untrained agent to quickdraw it. Finally, there are some items which would behave suboptimally with quickdraw. Lockpicks would only work if viewing a pickable object, items like hack viruses would do nothing, etc. There's also the question of how quickdraw weapon reloading should work in concert with weapon auto-reload (disabled on Hardcore).
2. Secondary weapons currently possess the advantage of attacking instantaneously with no draw animation. With the option to also wait to fire to line up a shot, they would be superior to actually equipping a weapon. This feature is also non-trivial to implement.
3. Already done in the 1.1 hotfix. Secondary items now always quickdraw fire for more consistent behavior
4. Disagree about the HUD (you want the player to be able to quickly see what they have set). Why shouldn't it just attack? This seems like the clearest use case.
5. This is non-trivial to implement, but perhaps worth the effort. Particularly since I made hold-to-fire work with melee weapons normally.

Regarding QoL suggestions:
1. Don't see why. Interaction auto-holster allows you to frob physics objects without first needing to holster your weapon by temporarily holstering for you (and draws again once you drop them), while double-click holstering acts as a protection against permanently holstering when attempting to frob general objects with a single click. If the former required a double click with the latter enabled, the frob interaction would be less intuitive as you would lose the ability to single-click frob general objects, when the purpose of enabling double-click holstering is precisely to make that safer and easier.
2. Sure, I can see why you might want to be able to hide the subtitle window for barks and first-person dialogues. I'll add it to the list of menu option reworks...
3. Ehhh I really don't care for this sort of thing. "Best" melee weapon isn't something I want to decide for the player. Half-Life 2 does this when you run out of ammo for one of your weapons, and it rubs me the wrong way. The player should determine what melee weapons they use for what circumstances. Maybe they put a combat knife in the quick equip slot for quick crate busting, or maybe they draw the DTS. Either way, it's a minor element of player expression and player control that I wouldn't want to streamline.
4. This is an acceptable expansion of left click frob, though I have some qualms with it. You're right that it should be restricted to infinite charges, but that makes the interaction standard across difficulties inconsistent. Moreover, it means repairbot charges can't be spent on recharging equipment when interacting this way. I'll think about it though.
5. Yeah, I've thought about adding tool count since you can auto-equip them now. I'll add it to my list so I don't forget.
6. Dislike this one. What if the player wants to lock they door they just unlocked for some reason (that reminds me, can NPCs always open locked doors if they have the pathing through them? Must investigate)? Now they have to slowly equip and unequip the GEP gun. I get the impetus behind the suggestion but I don't think it's wise to make anything automatically re-equip gear except for secondary items.
7. Similar to #3, I don't like the implicit grouping of objects. It's not a bad idea in itself, but I think UI interactions should be as player-driven as possible except for very obvious QoL shortcuts.
8. Maybe. Another one for the menu options list.
9. Real-time inventory management is a skill (Unless you toggle it off, which obviates the need for the hotkey outside of pure QoL)! Tech goggles are only available as secondaries because of how cumbersome they were compared to the vision aug. Ballistic armor and hazmat suits emphasize preparation (or quick swapping when taking damage), while the rebreather and thermoptic camo are to be used strategically, which does not motivate a more accessible toggle compared to Aqualung/Cloak in the same way, especially considering their value.
10. Interesting suggestion, like Thief's hotkey options. I think the toggle/hold crouch option is sufficient for the vast majority of players, but it's not a bad idea. Depends on feasibility/time.
11. Non-trivial to implement, and bit at odds with a one or two augs (e.g. Spy Drone). I think the current options are satisfactory, but it's not a bad idea.
12. Non-trivial but probably worth my time. One issue -- if it activates the currently highlighted aug when you let go, you're always stuck with activating an aug or deactivating them all (an aug button or the deactivate all button is always highlighted). This isn't like typical weapon wheels where you can highlight your currently equipped item or some neutral position to cancel the action. Instead, I think it's probably better if you still have to click highlighted augs to activate/deactivate them, but there's an option to make the menu work on hold rather than on toggle.
Aside: I also wanted to copy Mankind Divided's radial aug menu hotkey assignment concept. It would need to be separate from the existing F1-F12 hotkeys, where you configure four keybinds that you can then press during the aug menu to assign an aug to that slot. Not sure I'll get to it, but it's a nice idea.
13. Ha, joke's on all of you RMB frobbers, I have interact on F in every game! Even System Shock 2 and Thief! F IS FOR FROB BABY!
...*ahem* This is a decent idea, but the use key is already pretty overloaded as it is. As I said in #1, the purpose of double click holstering is to prevent accidental holstering when attempting to frob objects (particularly small buttons). If this option also associates weapon scoping to single-click frob, then it trades accidental holstering for accidental scoping, which is more unpleasant/jarring and makes it that much harder to center your view on the object you meant to frob.

Regarding non-QoL suggestions:
1. I don't like it only because DX doesn't actually have consistent hub zones. You loosely have UNATCO as a hub for the first act and Tong's base for the second, but after that you're traveling from one map to the next until the end of the game. This kind of feature stands out to me as out of place in that context. I totally see the impetus, but I'd also argue that there's a strategic layer to long-term inventory management -- clearing a space for the Ambrosia vial in the Superfreighter mission comes to mind as a moment where the player has to weigh gameplay concerns with narrative consequences. One last thing -- if it's not depicted clearly, the presence of old items you dropped in your office might mislead the player into thinking that UNATCO isn't worth re-exploring for loot on subsequent visits.
2. Disabled in v9 precisely because it was unbalanced and immersion breaking. Corpse power-throwing allowed you to chain kill platoons of enemies without a trace of evidence since the corpses were disintegrated in the process. The tomato splatting on walls was also gaudy and unrealistic (if fun). You can revert this change by disabling "Persistent Corpses" in the Unlocked Options menu if you still want to screw around with it, otherwise JC simply won't power throw corpses (or inventory items, per vRSD changes). For the record, other physics objects break on power thrown impact to stop the sort of near-unlimited chain killing with boxes you get in Half-Life 2 or Bioshock, making it an empowering but strategic option in combat rather than one that breaks the ammo resource economy.
3. There are at 20 throwing knives up to and including the Lebedev mission, and they're also recoverable (now 100%, but only 1 per corpse). Can't add new purchase options without voice acting.
4. Pistols would be a pretty lame skill without the mini-crossbow -- it would only affect the pistol, stealth pistol, and PS20. The player is only likely to use one of these. Low-tech includes all of the lethal melee weapons, which are admittedly hampered by the linear power progression up to the DTS, plus the non-lethal baton, prod, pepper spray, and also throwing knives. I think Low-Tech is fine, particularly as it's a cheaper skill.
5. The Alex log is good because it cautions the player that the encounter may not be a typical stealth/combat affair like they might expect from a traditional game. Even stealth players will be knocking enemies unconscious. The bot log is a problem, though. If there are any no-brainer immersion-breaking logs like that, let me know.
6. Haha, yeah that should get fixed. I can work it up in GIMP or something.
7. ACK! I'll see if I can hide binocs when active.
8. I removed the Augmentation Override Canister that makes Aqualung/Enviro automatic for this reason -- I dislike any energy drain that is not directly under the player's control. I had the same idea for toggled automatic augs, makes sense. I can consider reverting Aqualung from Passive and doing that, maybe (still not a fan of the AOC item though).
9. This was originally in place because the laser mod was extremely broken and always worth having on. Since it's now heavily nerfed by the simulated waver and kick, I can consider this.
10. That shouldn't happen... Are you sure he wasn't just wandering around?
11. You're forgetting about the niche element of player skill when attempting to tool doors and keypads underwater and constantly getting buoyed upward! ...yeah, the real reason I'm wary to change it is that the mechanic becomes ripe for abuse/exploitation if the tool count isn't deincremented on the initial press. Could be lots of unintended consequences, which outweighs the annoyance factor for me.
12. Consistent energy drain is the standard, though I've already gone against it by making laser grids drain Radar Transparency at 4x the rate. Maybe -- it's lackluster compared to the other torso slots otherwise.
13. You can use tech goggles/rebreathers in concert with other wearables, but only one torso piece at a time. Ballistic armor and hazmat are a tactical choice (ballistic vs bullets and melee, hazmat vs tranq), and also more believable as exclusive choices. Switching between torso pieces is much more straightforward now, so I'm happy with where it is.
14. Addictions are listed in the Health status screen in precisely the location you suggested :)

Crate bug: AGH NOT THIS AGAIN

I hope I'm not coming across as overly dismissive -- I definitely appreciate the feedback, and the reasoning behind your ideas is valid. I try to examine suggestions from every angle I can think of, and the benefit has to outweigh the implementation effort in addition to any drawbacks, some of which comes down to subtle aspects of design consistency and taste.
« Last Edit: 11. October 2019, 00:44:08 by RoSoDude »

665b644ab7458sarge945

665b644ab74bf
Regarding QoL suggestions:
1. Don't see why. Interaction auto-holster allows you to frob physics objects without first needing to holster your weapon by temporarily holstering for you (and draws again once you drop them), while double-click holstering acts as a protection against permanently holstering when attempting to frob general objects with a single click. If the former required a double click with the latter enabled, the frob interaction would be less intuitive as you would lose the ability to single-click frob general objects, when the purpose of enabling double-click holstering is precisely to make that safer and easier.

DERP on my part.

6. Dislike this one. What if the player wants to lock they door they just unlocked for some reason (that reminds me, can NPCs always open locked doors if they have the pathing through them? Must investigate)? Now they have to slowly equip and unequip the GEP gun. I get the impetus behind the suggestion but I don't think it's wise to make anything automatically re-equip gear except for secondary items.

I don't think I explained this properly. It's not an "auto-equip" type system. It's more like this:

I have the Sawed Off Shotgun equipped.
I press 0.
I unlock a door.
I press 0 again. It reselects the sawed off.

The reason I would like this feature is because it allows me to bind the keyring button to something less ridiculous than 0 (like, for example, the C button), and I can just tap it to get the key out, tap it again to go back to what I was doing. Given that we have "left click to get out keyring" normally, this would only have limited usefulness in very specific situations, so I understand if you totally skip it.

11. Non-trivial to implement, and bit at odds with a one or two augs (e.g. Spy Drone). I think the current options are satisfactory, but it's not a bad idea.

Fair enough. I think for eg Spy Drone it would just act the same way the toggle button works (which has the advantage of making sense, but the disadvantage of being inconsistent).

Right now, I have added this to my deus.ini file and it works pretty well for a "sprint button". You should try it out and see how you like it, since it actually feels really natural.

Code: [Select]
Aliases[21]=(Command="ActivateAugmentation 4|onrelease ActivateAugmentation 4",Alias=SprintSpeed)

Shift=SprintSpeed

12. Non-trivial but probably worth my time. One issue -- if it activates the currently highlighted aug when you let go, you're always stuck with activating an aug or deactivating them all (an aug button or the deactivate all button is always highlighted). This isn't like typical weapon wheels where you can highlight your currently equipped item or some neutral position to cancel the action. Instead, I think it's probably better if you still have to click highlighted augs to activate/deactivate them, but there's an option to make the menu work on hold rather than on toggle.

I didn't think of that. I don't see anything wrong with having a "cancel" option, probably right in the middle of the wheel, accessible by going the "opposite" direction from where you are (so if you're highlighting the top option, moving the mouse down would go to the cancel option, moving it down further would go to the bottom option). Some weapon wheels in some games work like this because even though you can select your current weapon, it's still cumbersome. Anyway good to see some discussion on this.

Aside: I also wanted to copy Mankind Divided's radial aug menu hotkey assignment concept. It would need to be separate from the existing F1-F12 hotkeys, where you configure four keybinds that you can then press during the aug menu to assign an aug to that slot. Not sure I'll get to it, but it's a nice idea.

With the current aug radial menu, this might be unnecessary. But you should definitely investigate it. I can see it being somewhat useful for that one crazy person who decides they want to play Deus Ex with a controller. (why though?)

13. Ha, joke's on all of you RMB frobbers, I have interact on F in every game! Even System Shock 2 and Thief! F IS FOR FROB BABY!
...*ahem* This is a decent idea, but the use key is already pretty overloaded as it is. As I said in #1, the purpose of double click holstering is to prevent accidental holstering when attempting to frob objects (particularly small buttons). If this option also associates weapon scoping to single-click frob, then it trades accidental holstering for accidental scoping, which is more unpleasant/jarring and makes it that much harder to center your view on the object you meant to frob.

That's an excellent thought! Hmmmm..... I guess Deus Ex will forever have annoying scope/laser toggle mechanics, which is fine. One thing just came to my mind - a scope hold button (rather than toggle). Would that be worth implementing at all?

Regarding non-QoL suggestions:

1. I don't like it only because DX doesn't actually have consistent hub zones. You loosely have UNATCO as a hub for the first act and Tong's base for the second, but after that you're traveling from one map to the next until the end of the game. This kind of feature stands out to me as out of place in that context. I totally see the impetus, but I'd also argue that there's a strategic layer to long-term inventory management -- clearing a space for the Ambrosia vial in the Superfreighter mission comes to mind as a moment where the player has to weigh gameplay concerns with narrative consequences. One last thing -- if it's not depicted clearly, the presence of old items you dropped in your office might mislead the player into thinking that UNATCO isn't worth re-exploring for loot on subsequent visits.

Yeah. This was the most silly suggestion. I just thought I would throw it in there because it makes some of the early items (early PS20's etc) actually worth holding on to.

2. Disabled in v9 precisely because it was unbalanced and immersion breaking. Corpse power-throwing allowed you to chain kill platoons of enemies without a trace of evidence since the corpses were disintegrated in the process. The tomato splatting on walls was also gaudy and unrealistic (if fun). You can revert this change by disabling "Persistent Corpses" in the Unlocked Options menu if you still want to screw around with it, otherwise JC simply won't power throw corpses (or inventory items, per vRSD changes). For the record, other physics objects break on power thrown impact to stop the sort of near-unlimited chain killing with boxes you get in Half-Life 2 or Bioshock, making it an empowering but strategic option in combat rather than one that breaks the ammo resource economy.

Right. I had no idea this was done for gameplay reasons and had assumed it was just something that was forgotten. I thought enemies didn't react to corpses at all in Deus Ex? Must be a GMDX change.

3. There are at 20 throwing knives up to and including the Lebedev mission, and they're also recoverable (now 100%, but only 1 per corpse). Can't add new purchase options without voice acting.

Would it make sense to add 1-2 to the blue bandana terrorist guys? Since these guys are a) rare and b) more like special ops so it would make sense for them to carry them. I dunno, just a random idea. I guess them being recoverable largely fixes this, as in vanilla they ran out quick and there were like 25 in the whole game I think.

5. The Alex log is good because it cautions the player that the encounter may not be a typical stealth/combat affair like they might expect from a traditional game. Even stealth players will be knocking enemies unconscious. The bot log is a problem, though. If there are any no-brainer immersion-breaking logs like that, let me know.

You might be right about the Alex log. I think the thing that is the most immersion-breaking is the "Easy" part, like it's implying you've been killing everyone in sight and now need to go easier and less guns-ablaze. I guess if someone really had nothing better to do, they could maybe make a version without the "Easy" for stealth players.

7. ACK! I'll see if I can hide binocs when active.

A much better fix would be to completely fill the screen with binoculars

8. I removed the Augmentation Override Canister that makes Aqualung/Enviro automatic for this reason -- I dislike any energy drain that is not directly under the player's control. I had the same idea for toggled automatic augs, makes sense. I can consider reverting Aqualung from Passive and doing that, maybe (still not a fan of the AOC item though).

Yeah I think if you made Auto augs just "Turn on and drain nothing unless necessary" augs, you could get rid of most AOCs. I do like the idea behind AOCs though - That you can change the fundamental way augs behave, which is a nice bit of character depth. I just think from a gameplay perspective it would make a lot more sense to make significant sidegrade changes (like fundamentally changing the way an aug works) and getting rid of the "changes it from auto to active" type ones, as these don't really add anything of value.

10. That shouldn't happen... Are you sure he wasn't just wandering around?

I searched the whole map, but not super thoroughly. Couldn't find him.

I also had a second "incident". The lady in the clinic that you can pay money to to open the medbot area (in NYC) also mysteriously disappeared after I pulled out a gun and everyone started running around. I didn't see her vanish before my eyes or anything, so it might just be that she ran somewhere, but that clinic is pretty small so it wasn't hard to search.

11. You're forgetting about the niche element of player skill when attempting to tool doors and keypads underwater and constantly getting buoyed upward! ...yeah, the real reason I'm wary to change it is that the mechanic becomes ripe for abuse/exploitation if the tool count isn't deincremented on the initial press. Could be lots of unintended consequences, which outweighs the annoyance factor for me.

Maybe. Might be worth it though. I can't think of any major exploits with it off the top of my head.

12. Consistent energy drain is the standard, though I've already gone against it by making laser grids drain Radar Transparency at 4x the rate. Maybe -- it's lackluster compared to the other torso slots otherwise.

Yeah, balance would be a concern. I remember Biomod (which I know I keep referencing, but I think it's the best Deus Ex mod in terms of handling augmentations, hands down) made a lot of augs drain based on their usage, like ballistic protection drained energy equal to the damage blocked. I just think this makes sense in a lot of ways, but I can see your point about consistency and balance.

13. You can use tech goggles/rebreathers in concert with other wearables, but only one torso piece at a time. Ballistic armor and hazmat are a tactical choice (ballistic vs bullets and melee, hazmat vs tranq), and also more believable as exclusive choices. Switching between torso pieces is much more straightforward now, so I'm happy with where it is.

I always saw Hazmat as a head piece for some reason, since it's only a helmet when you pick it up. Consider this my derp.

14. Addictions are listed in the Health status screen in precisely the location you suggested :)

Addictions are, but current status effects are not. Such as the temporary buffs provided by alcohol, etc. Only addictions themselves are listed, which hides a lot of useful info.

Crate bug: AGH NOT THIS AGAIN

Your worst nightmare come true!

I hope I'm not coming across as overly dismissive -- I definitely appreciate the feedback, and the reasoning behind your ideas is valid. I try to examine suggestions from every angle I can think of, and the benefit has to outweigh the implementation effort in addition to any drawbacks, some of which comes down to subtle aspects of design consistency and taste.

Right. Well a little about me. I play a lot of Source engine games, and since they have a very in-depth scripting system, I have been able to do a lot with controls. Things like holding F to pull out (and release to holster) the knife in games like CS:GO. As a result, I have been very spoilt and am used to games feeling super slick to actually control, with all sorts of bells and whistles for easily going between items and always being easily able to take out the right weapon when you need it, etc. Going back to something like Deus Ex where your secondary weapon button only attacks feels really awkward and clunky as a result, even if it's valid for gameplay reasons. Same with a lot of other QoL stuff, which is why I gave so many suggestions there. I understand your perspective on this, and you are taking things from a more consistent approach, which is good, but in my opinion also potentially a little restrictive. We have different priorities in that area and as the mod author you have the right to prefer your perspective over anyone elses.

Obviously we have differences in taste, and you have done more gameplay analysis on Deus Ex than I have.
« Last Edit: 11. October 2019, 06:24:57 by sarge945 »

665b644ab75f0pourtheporridge

665b644ab7645
Hi, mantling doesn't seem to work (I press double space), idk why. Can you add pickpocketing and mb some BioMod's features to GMDX next release?
Thank you for your work!

665b644ab7b43RoSoDude

665b644ab7b96
Mantling now scales with the Athletics skill, so at Untrained you'll only be able to mantle up short ledges. Also you can mantle by holding space rather than double tapping.

Pickpocketing is a pretty niche use case, I have some issues with it conceptually as well. The only other feature from Biomod I'm looking at is its handling of automatic augs.

Thanks for playing!

665b644ab8877RoSoDude

665b644ab88d3
I guess I never announced Beta 2.0 here! With that update came 3-round burst for the Assault Rifle, new playthrough modifiers for crate/weapon mod/augmentation randomization and addiction system made optional, and INVENTORY ITEM ROTATION.

There's a new standalone installer for Beta 2.0, and I just uploaded a Beta 2.1 hotfix patch for it.
2.0 Installer: https://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx/addons/version-rsd-beta-10-future-official-update
2.1 Hotfix: https://mega.nz/#!rbJ0kIJJ!5pwhAW_ElR11HevC9volzTWdL1WEsrLNpCBYpHZScMw

#### BETA 2.0 CHANGES ####
-Increased NSF basement security terminal hacking requirement from Trained back to Advanced
-Fixed bad mover pivot points on several maps
    -01_NYC_UNATCOHQ
    -02_NYC_Hotel
    -14_OceanLab_Lab
    -09_NYC_Ship
-Fixed reverted MJ12 Troop corpse assignments on the following maps:
    -12_Vandenberg_Cmd
    -13_Oceanlab_Silo
    -14_Vandenberg_Sub
    -15_Area51_Entrance
-Reduced hacking requirements on several plot-critical computers
    -OceanLab UC
    -Missile Silo launch
-Fixed non-functional shower faucets on the PCRS Wall Cloud upper decks and fixed their alignment
-Renamed "Unlocks the Security area access panel" nanokey description to "Security Area Access Panel key" in PCRS Wall Cloud upper decks
-Fixed Flight Control Deck 1 inside door button opening a vent grating in the barracks instead of the adjacent door
-Removed illogical event trigger from MJ12 Prison Nanotech Lab alarm to release Greasels from containment (now activate manually with button/computer as vanilla)
-Swapped the third ADS/Spy Drone canister in the DuClare Chateau for a third Speed Enhancement/Run Silent augmentation canister
-Added a box of rubber bullets to the UNATCO armory on the first visit
-Added a button to the Ocean Lab to prevent a softlock
-Fixed Area 51 Sector 3 door at the end of the Gray jumpscare hallway appearing to be interactable
-Fixed Area 51 Sector 3 door leading to waste pool not responding to melee attacks
-Removed all miniplasma bots from Area 51 Bunker ground level on non-Hardcore difficulty
-Corpses no longer spawn flies in sterile environments and underground bunkers
    -Maps: UNATCO, MJ12 labs, 747, Versalife, Canal Road, Shipyard interior, Catacombs, Everett's, Vandenberg tunnels/comms, Ocean Lab, Area 51
-Fixed the UNATCO security bot on the Liberty Island dock turning against you if it sees the NSF security bot attacking you (the two now fight)
-Added more shotgun shells to mid-late game areas (+30), some replacing excess boxes of Sabot next to one another on the same map (-24)
-Added more pistol bullets to Hong Kong (+10) and Paris (+15)
-Removed a 7.62mm clip and a napalm canister from a secret location in Hong Kong
-Removed 5 throwing knives from Paris Cathedral
-Rebalanced door strengths and removed one Hazmat Suit from MJ12 Versalife labs locker room
-Telegraphed goodies behind descructible walls in the Catacombs more clearly
-Removed some barrels in the Catacombs room with the broken electrical junction that made mantling too easy
-Replaced miniplasma security bots in the Paris metro station with standard security rollers
-Made the Rooks women unfazed by signs of distress so a junkie fleeing from the death of the zyme dealer doesn't set the whole gang after the player
-Made the bouncers in the Club de la Porte de L'Enfer hostile if the player brandishes weapons like they warn
-Renamed "Osgood" key to Osgood and Sons front door key as in vanilla (key moved from NSF inventory to world)
-The PS20 is no longer listed as variably lethal in the weapon tooltip
-Removed reload finish sound from Mini-Crossbow to stop overlapping with dart load sound
-Bullets now penetrate breakable glass
-Deactivating (or frobbing deactivated) alarm panels shuts off all active camera alarms in an area
-Fixed Assault Shotgun double-firing with maxed ROF on full-auto after switching ammo types
-Spy drones on standby are now deactivated before map transition
-Fixed the player's view getting spun to their previous camera view when the spy drone is destroyed
-Fixed players being able to resume control of disabled drones when returning to maps after deactivation
-Fixed incorrect cloak/radar textures on the lockpick and nanokeyring viewmodel
-Fixed skin colors not updating on all vanilla weapon models and the multitool
-Removed dangling "Restores" in biocell tooltip
-Fixed crosshair user toggle being reset when loading a save game with the laser mod or radial menu active (byproduct of earlier fix)
-Nerfed Blast Energy perk falloff plasma rifle maximum damage falloff reduction from 50% to 25%
-Removed projectile flight path dependence on hidden projectile accurate range stat, plus other changes:
    -In vanilla, nearly all projectiles would only start to drop beyond their accurate range (rockets/plasma bolts etc. had extremely high range values)
    -In GMDXv9, some projectiles dropped immediately (rubber bullets), while others (darts, throwing knives) would drop after modified ranges
    -Now all relevant projectiles drop immediately, resulting in a consistent and predictable parabolic trajectory
    -Darts are only affected marginally, while throwing knives require more drop compensation from the player
    -20mm HE rounds have 20% increased gravity, speed reduced from 1550 units to 1400 units
    -Range mods still increase projectile speed, and hence distance traveled
    -Grenades retain old thrown arc (half gravity on throw, full gravity after 50 ft)
    -Range modifications can now be applied to the pepper gun to increase speed and lifespan of teargas clouds
-Decline Combat Knives option now always deletes combat knives from looted inventories instead of only doing so 85% of the time
-Added a new playthrough modifiers system. Press the "Modifiers" button in the character creation menu to enable new gameplay effects
-Added Crate Randomization playthrough modifier:
    -Crate contents can be swapped for other items if they are located in predefined loot tables
    -Each item in the loot table has a certain chance to drop which is determined by the actual amount of crates containing that item in all of the maps
    -Loot tables are organized into %u201Clots%u201D which group items by relative value and use case so as to not unbalance locational rewards and playstyle support
        -i.e. 7.62mm ammo can get swapped for .30-06 ammo and shotgun shells, but never 10mm ammo
    -Lots: pistol/rifle/nonlethal/anti-robot/heavy/explosive ammo, as well as lockpicks/multitools, wearables, and misc. pickups
    -Crate contents are randomized on first map load only so as to discourage savescumming
-Added Weapon Mod Randomization playthrough modifier:
    -Same as crates with loot tables governed by in-game distribution, but encompassing weapon mods both in crates and in the world.
    -Lots: handling (accuracy/recoil/range), ammo (clip/reload), ballistics (damage/RoF), attachments (silencer/scope/laser/full-auto)
        -the Silencer in the Hong-Kong shop and the Full-Auto mod in the Paris shop are fixed, guaranteeing at least one of each for purchase
-Added Aug Canister Scramble playthrough modifier
    -The ordering of aug canisters is scrambled on New Game
    -The total number of each aug canister type in the game is unchanged
-Standardized the ordering of Drone/ADS and Cloak/Radar choices in aug canisters
-Removed non-functional "Cancel" button from HDTP Model Toggles menu (Restore Defaults and OK are sufficient)
-Fixed edge cases around alcohol health manipulation, e.g. where zyme withdrawal while sober could artificially grant the player an extra 5 HP
-Fixed biocell recharge amount displayed in the log rounding down by one point
-Fixed "(NPC name)" missing from the frob display window when killing unconscious NPCs, e.g. "Unconscious (UNATCO troop)" -> "Dead Body"
-Fixed animal carcasses getting mislabled as "Dead Body" instead of "Animal Carcass" when kiling from unconscious
-MIB/WIB corpses now explode when killed from unconscious if the Persistent Corpses option is disabled (forced on in Hardcore)
-Fixed Health status screen displaying a speed penalty even if it was cancelled by the Perserverance perk
-Fixed Health status screen not displaying accuracy penalties due to alcohol withdrawal
-Fixed Health status screen not automatically updating torso max health from alcohol buff/zyme debuff
-Fixed Health status screen average health not correcting for head/torso max health from Medicine skill/alcohol buff/zyme debuff
-Fixed log window appearing behind inventory windows due to new or delayed log messages with Real-Time UI enabled, now waits for inventory window close
-Re-added minor crash protection code which was accidentally deleted during the radial menu port
-Added exact ranges to Aggressive Defense System description
-Added exact damage bonuses to Combat Strength description
-Renamed Pan2 from "Pot" to "Saucepan" and Pan3 from "Frying Pan" to "Saucepan"
-Fixed "DEFAULT WEAPON NAME" when using Targeting aug tech 2 to gather weapon data on enemies with built-in attacks (melee, rockets, etc.)
-Moved the addiction system to a playthrough modifier (disabled by default)
    -With the option disabled, cigarettes deal 2 damage, alcohol heals 2 HP, and zyme and alcohol shake the player's view again
    -Restricted Metabolism once again stops the player from consuming alcohol when full, except when the addiction system is active
    -The GMDX v9 pedometer returns in the health status screen except when the addiction system is enabled
-Changed the Assault Gun's firing operation from 5-round burst to 3-round burst
    -This is a buff to fire rate, as the burst timings overlap slightly
    -Slightly decreased the effectiveness of ROF mods to compensate and ensure animation stability
    -Decreased base magazine capacity from 35 to 30 and reverted each clip size mod from +5 to +3
    -Decreased 7.62mm magazine pickup ammount from 35 to 30
-Fixed crosshair flickering on after hitmarkers when disabled by laser sight or user option, also an edge case changing the user option
-Hitmarker color is now always white when using laser sights, since IFF is otherwise disabled (also helps with seeing red laser dot)
-Fixed conversation bug allowing players to repeatedly increase their augmentation upgrade canister count even with a full inventory
-Fixed GEP fly-by-wire control not matching the player's Invert Y-axis setting
-Added the ability to rotate items in the inventory by pressing the Spacebar while dragging them
    -To swap two items of equal size, rotate the source item to the same orientation as the target item
    -Note that alt-tabbing breaks keyboard inputs in game menus -- to fix, press the "Exit" button and bring up the main menu
    -Some bugs may occur when swapping/dropping/combining items, or during map transition. Please report any issues you find!
-Added an blue indicator to show where the target item will go when swapping items of equal size
-Added a keybind for Hold Augmentation Wheel. Note that it must be a standard key or mouse button, not something too modern like mouse 5
-Fixed loot window displaying the wrong amount of ammo picked up from bodies when the user is near full
-Fixed script log errors:
    -Generalized stamina drain rework
    -Reworked breath scaling underwater
    -Augmentation menu displaying added GMDX v9 aug slot
    -HDTP weapon rotation fix
    -HDTP NPC flamethrower fire offset fix
    -Melee attack speed tooltip with Combat Speed

#### BETA 2.1 CHANGES ####
-Fixed corpse fly changes only applying to animal carcasses (doy)
-Fixed decimal damage increases not displaying in weapon tooltips as intended
-Fixed expanded secondary items (flares, binoculars, tech goggles, medkits/biocells) not resetting when dropped/used up
-Fixed projectile gravity rework nerfing NPCs firing crossbow darts
-Decreased player dart gravity from 50% to 45%
-Reverted a "fix" that gave diminishing fall protection from Run Silent due to a misinterpretation of code, now again on par with Speed Enhancement
-Fixed datacube referencing Energy Transference aug (now replaced by Ammo Capacity)
-Fixed Regeneration aug not deactivating properly when at full health due to average health now properly accounting for additive bonuses
-New decimal damage variation now only applies to enemies to avoid edge cases with damage thresholds
-Fixed close-range tracers so zoomed weapons still consistently produce water splashing
-Removed stray rectangular texture in skills window with HUD translucency enabled
-Added a failsafe to ensure patrolling MJ12 Elites do not cloak on game load
-Added a failsafe to ensure weapons retain the proper inventory icon when at default rotation
-Fixed weapon tooltip implying ROF mods decreased weapon ROF
-Fixed weapon tooltips truncating base value in decimal rounding (e.g. 0.99 rounded to 1.0 displaying as 0.0)
-Fixed sniper rifle viewmodel acquiring the wrong textures when transitioning from FOMOD Beta -> vanilla
-Fixed script log errors:
    -Aug Canister Scramble debug logspam
    -Difficulty modifier logspam
    -GMDX fixes and balance changes for items transferred in conversation
    -Secondary item quickdraw finish when out of ammo
    -Secondary item equip tooltip
    -Belt HUD ammo text for grenades
    -New repairbot window
    -Corpse fly spawn check
    -Corpse name fix
    -Pistol/Sniper Rifle HDTP toggle during reload anims
-Increased base 10mm ammo capacity from 40 to 50
-Disabled secondary item usage when carrying physics objects (e.g. crates)
-Decreased Sam Carter's 7.62mm ammo given for showing restraint in Castle Clinton from 64 to 60 (2 clips)
-Reworked Weapon Mod Randomization, all weapon mods now in the same pool to increase variance and discourage scumming for specific mods
-Changed cigarettes max copies from 10 -> 5 to make management more involved
-Sniper Rifle base damage reduced from 28 to 25 (vanilla), as it was simply too potent as an alternative lockpick
-Super MIB health on Hardcore reduced from 850 -> 800 so two Master-level sniper rifle headshots are still enough to kill
-Removed targeting info (crosshair IFF, accuracy reticles, targeting aug window) when aiming at cloaked enemies without infravision
-On Hardcore difficulty, the last wearable in a stack is now deleted upon depletion as in v9
-Nicotine withdrawal now reduces stamina regeneration by 50% only, no effect on running stamina drain
-Alcohol withdrawal now reduces accuracy by 20% instead of 15%
-Reverted Military Bot rocket damage (240->100) and blast radius (24ft->15ft) nerfs on Hardcore difficulty
-Removed Assault Gun underbarrel EMP attack from enemies except on Hardcore difficulty
« Last Edit: 21. March 2020, 21:24:19 by RoSoDude »
Acknowledged by: ThiefsieFool

665b644ab8a9bvoodoo47

665b644ab8aec
excellent time to finally start playing - is that minimod that makes the sawn-off into a pistol weapon available for this version?

665b644ab8bc6RoSoDude

665b644ab8c11
I'll merge your version up to 2.1 tomorrow and edit this post with it.

EDIT: link to voodoo 2.1 (shotguns scale half between pistols and rifles): https://mega.nz/#!yGIQDALQ!2KPHtp3MYbwpLY8QQG5Ts6zZkSLH--y3LjQe5gfVccg
« Last Edit: 21. March 2020, 21:41:33 by RoSoDude »
Acknowledged by: voodoo47
665b644ab8d5a
Thanks for this, hopefully I'll get a chance to play it over the next week or two (work is really hectic at present).
Acknowledged by: RoSoDude

665b644ab8de2voodoo47

665b644ab8e2b
ah, missed the edit. time to go save the world again.

665b644ab90ebvoodoo47

665b644ab9136
ok, first part of the first mission;

- no wacky ui colors after install, good.
- some AIs not making any sound at all when taken down silently (not even the regular "oomfhh").
- got a crash when started to attack the thug, the terrorist and a dog near the underground area with the hazmat suit (was not able to replicate);
Code: [Select]
Faulting application name: GMDX.exe, version: 8.1.0.0, time stamp: 0x56c63d6a
Faulting module name: Core.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x3ab15e85
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0002ed37
Faulting process id: 0x5ac
Faulting application start time: 0x01d605e89137f4d7
Faulting application path: C:\Games\Deus Ex GOTY dmdx10b\System\GMDX.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Games\Deus Ex GOTY dmdx10b\System\Core.dll
- square light fixture still hud selectable for no reason.
- saves don't quite seem to get sorted by date.
- some shrubbery very lowres, basically just a clump of 2d textures.
- the explosive crate just gets stuck in water when I throw it in, not sinking down, not floating up. technically possible, but does look odd.
- some hires trees still use broken models (branches not connected to the trunk).
- Gunther mech leg sounds still annoying.
- a NSF guy chose "must have been nothing" as his second bark after seeing an unconscious body (still continued to search for me though).
- I understand that some doors have to be wearing the plot armor of infinity, but in the case it's really unavoidable (ex. I don't think it's necessary for the main liberty statue doors), they better look the part, meaning reinforced steel.
- I had the "have to doublerightclick to holster a weapon" function malfunction on me, and despite being set correctly in the menu, only one click was needed to holster. it went away after some time (and a few save reloads). unable to replicate for the time being.
- maybe move the map transition trigger to the HQ just a bit to be in the hallway.
- the guy in the boat still looks like he has some kind of disease, the propellers do not spin, and there is no water rippling effect when heading out.
- autosaves acquiring odd semi-random numbers (autosave5? where are autosaves 1-4?).
- weird slow down after running out of breath and acquiring some, like trying to pull feet out of mud. is this something new? //no it isn't.
- the door that leads to the office with the baseball needs to have its alcove fixed, the door sinks into the wall when opened.
- basketball physics too large.
- once you receive the goal to get briefed by Manderley before the next mission, Paul will be present at his office, but also hanging out in front of the HQ.
- the medbot infocube needs to be floored.

also, still not liking the limits on the chargebots, maybe longer refresh rates would work better. and looks like perks have been changed, will have to have a look at that.
« Last Edit: 31. March 2020, 18:01:01 by voodoo47 »

665b644ab965cvoodoo47

665b644ab96ad
second mission;

- the control room with the aug canister under castle Clinton missing glass, would suggest adding breakable if wanting to allow the option to get in there by crate stacking, or unbreakable if not.
- Smuggler lasers still weird (already submitted a report earlier, will link soon //here and here*).
- newspaper in front of Paul's room and the shotgun in the secret MJ12 base locked closet need flooring (and a lot of other items, I reckon).
- booze bottles still the size of a female torso.
- explosion damage decals getting applied to ladders.
- now that first chunk of the hallway leading to the clinic has been cut off, you can clearly see the NPCs setting themselves up once you enter the map.
- sometimes I end up crouched/not crouched when changing maps not crouched/crouched.
- weird tiny cracks when whipping the mirror at Smuggler's.
- the bum behind the 'ton hotel just standing in the middle of the alley. maybe a little patrol would help or placing him next to a burning barrel.
- Smuggler doesn't care whether you loot his stuff from the safe or secret mirror. maybe make him patrol to the upper floor and back, and make him attack the player if caught red-handed.
- received random 150 exp (goal accomplishment bonus. no such a goal logged) upon my second visit of the clinic (after getting Ford Schick out).

quick comment on the Demolitions skill: making it even more useless by adding limitations on how much can be carried is probably not too great - the skill could use some boost, if anything (maybe increased chance of finding explosives on AIs or something).

*some trap lasers can be blocked by objects, others cannot;
is there any other (blue) laser tripwire that is not triggered by objects, like the one from the subway hostage situation? basically, what I don't like here is that the same object works differently, sometimes getting triggered by objects while other times not. if the subway wire is the only one that can be cheated around with crates, maybe make that not possible (it does feel kind of cheap, if you ask me).
« Last Edit: 01. April 2020, 20:37:14 by voodoo47 »

665b644ab98d1voodoo47

665b644ab9922
finishing up with the HQ (and got screenshots working again, yaay) and starting the next mission;

- I think I'm missing an aug upgrade canister, has their number been reduced? only one so far. playing on realistic.
- the shotgun rubber bullet has very low velocity, its trajectory drops down almost instantly.
- even with pistols at master, and accuracy of the gun at 100, pistols still have a bit of wobble when looking through the scope. (some) previous version of GMDX had a pistol perk designed to take care of that, but it's been removed, so having no wobble is no longer possible, no matter the investment.
- a few weapons have the "can be assigned as secondary weapon" trait, but not all of them have it mentioned in the "special" line of their description (combat knife has it, throwing knife does not, ps20 does not).
- guy at the HQ lower level likes to hang on the table.
- door to the meeting room sinks into the wall (on the previous version of the map as well, most likely).
- (NYC battery park) a steam jet in one of the huts looks really weird once you open its grate. would probably just remove it.
- the metro trams have odd black windows*. and holes in the floor (they had them when you were rescuing the hostages as well. maybe add some grates).
- a few flickering lights in the mole tunnels that have no apparent source.

*I think it would actually not be too difficult to permit the player to visit Hell's Kitchen - a modified version with the warehouses clipped off, just to maybe grab some supplies from the clinic, visit the Smuggler or have a beer at the bar.
[dance_table.jpg expired]
[door_alcove.jpg expired]
[steam_float.jpg expired]
[black_window.jpg expired]
[flicker_light.jpg expired]
« Last Edit: 02. April 2020, 22:56:45 by Moderator »

665b644ab9a5dZylonBane

665b644ab9aa9
One of these days, I wish someone could explain to me why Deus Ex's lighting looks so much worse than the Dark Engine's. They're both based on lightmaps and vertex lighting, so you'd think they'd be nearly the same.

665b644ab9b9cvoodoo47

665b644ab9bec
Dark's lighting had to be more advanced, because it's very essential to the Thief gameplay, most likely. so yeah, some things that are no problem in Dark are an issue in DE - for example, I was surprised to find out there is no way of preventing leakage of certain lightmaps through walls in DE (the green light of active cameras. also a good chance that's exactly what is going on on that last screenshot). all you can do is place them in a way that would make it less apparent.

btw, just noticed that, exactly like Dark, DE has that same disappearing thing happening when larger objects are going offscreen. heh.
« Last Edit: 02. April 2020, 15:49:14 by voodoo47 »

665b644ab9c97ZylonBane

665b644ab9ce3
Sounds like DX cameras use dynamic lighting. Dark has the same issue with dynamic lights.

665b644ab9e26voodoo47

665b644ab9e79
yeah, but in Dark, you could do an animlight. here, you can't, apparently.

//yep, it's exactly that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuOF87o-KcU

- there are two guys in the tunnels that are having a conversation about traps being installed, and iirc, they should continue with mentioning Paul and that no chances should be taken. that part doesn't seem to be playing. //aha, seems like they only play the second part if you do not speak to the commander beforehand (which turns them friendly). deliberate? seems to be redundant to cut the second part, one way or another.
[cut_bark.jpg expired]
« Last Edit: 02. April 2020, 21:58:33 by voodoo47 »

665b644aba01bvoodoo47

665b644aba06a
anyway;

- while adding more AI model variety is quite nice, the Paul lookalikes in the Rooks gang would be better off omitted, I think (and basically any similar models that look way too much like one of the unique characters). covered up face models are your best friend.*
- the cave-in still looks like mostly wooden beams. more concrete debris maybe?

*an AI model cleanup would be great - basically, junkies/bums/homeless models only used when appropriate and always using the correct voice set. so no more regular looking people that sound like junkies and vice versa. that also reminds me, the subway station hostages also look like junkies/bums, regular would be better here, I think.

I'll skip forward with an assumption that the naval yard models (sink the superfreighter mission) are still the same for both the US guards and the chinese guards, that one was bugging the hell out of me.

//while some improvements have been made, I'd still prefer more consistency on the door breakability.
« Last Edit: 02. April 2020, 20:39:10 by voodoo47 »

665b644aba25cRoSoDude

665b644aba2ae
Thanks for all the reports. Some comments:
- Laser tripwire triggers are super inconsistent in DX and it's a pain to fix it properly. Not to say I won't. More details here.
- Aug upgrade canisters have actually been increased from vanilla (there's a new aug slot).
- Rubber bullets can be hard to get the hang of. Downward inaccuracy can especially hurt them. Note that projectile range mechanics have been overhauled so other weapons also require more compensation for gravity at medium ranges.
- Pistols should have no scope sway at 100% accuracy. Check that you don't have a limb/head injury that's reducing your accuracy (inventory stat does not update with this).
- In theory I know why you end up crouched when loading certain maps, but I've not yet found the fix.
- Limited bot charges are essential now that you can recharge wearable equipment. They're balanced for the various difficulties.
- For better lighting I use the DirectX 10 renderer with ClassicLighting=false and SimulateMultipassTextures=false. Still have the issues with dynamic lights and all that, but the contrast is much better. Notably, GMDX vRSD includes Veronika's fix for HDR lighting which previously had an awful dimming effect after viewing bright lights that would last for minutes at a time.
- I'll be sure to fix bad mover pivots and objects that need cleanup. Good points on the NPC models.

665b644aba52avoodoo47

665b644aba579
- the only aug upg canister I found was at the Osgood's place (the closet). one used to be in Paul's secret room, but not anymore.
- would definitely make the rubber bullet trajectory flatter, right now, it looks like the player is just throwing ping-pong balls at the AIs.
- nope, no injuries, accuracy over 100, still swaying;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxTwLn7uxyE

yeah, not saying everything needs to be perfect, but more consistency in a game where you need to reliably know how things work to not waste limited resources is good, I think. that reminds me, one wooden door on the top of the warehouses is so weak you can break it with a baton swipe - that shouldn't be happening either. basically;

- a baton should have no effect on doors or wooden planks.
- a knife should get you through wooden plank barricades.
- a crowbar should always get you through wooden doors (lot of noise of course, and the doors can have more/less health, making the process take a longer/shorter amount of time. a 'Ton situation where there are two identical wooden doors in one of the guest rooms, and one can be broken with the crowbar (two swings), and the other cannot is probably best avoided).
- thin sheet metal (bathroom lockers) maybe crowbar and sword?
- metal plated doors need explosives (or maybe the dragon sword).
- steel doors/grates need explosives.
- steel/bars reinforced doors cannot be broken (for use in a plot armor situation).
- also, regular guns should not be allowed to be used this way (I think I've posted a video some time ago where I was using a sniper rifle to destroy locked grates. while undoubtedly hilarious, lets not do that, maybe).

it might be worth going through the previous set of my reports, I'm guessing only a part of those suggestions/bugreports actually made it in.
« Last Edit: 03. April 2020, 18:06:53 by voodoo47 »

665b644aba6afvoodoo47

665b644aba701
was thinking about more things that would make the demolition skill less useless - permitting contact mode on the grenades at some level might help. also, iirc from my last playthrough, the mine mode is almost useless, as the mine takes ages to go off, so most AIs won't receive any damage worth mentioning, as they move around too fast.

also, while testing the door breakability, I've realized that crowbar is actually very silent - banging on the doors like crazy actually won't alert anyone;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJFYoDEfMEI

unlike popping a low power gun on the other end of the hallway - that will alert everyone in the vicinity (which is ok). trashing the door with the crowbar should produce similar levels of noise, and AI alertness.
« Last Edit: 05. April 2020, 14:33:51 by voodoo47 »
665b644aba895
Just want to say it's great to see GMDX still getting love around the web. I worked insanely hard and passionately on it, for what I don't know, but it has recently reached 100,000 cumulative downloads in its lifespan and that's great to see.

665b644aba946voodoo47

665b644aba98f
well, it is the best thing you can get.

anyway, are automatic augs gone now? that would be a shame.
665b644ababe5
Might have something to do with the current real world-situation. Lot's of large scale conspiracy theories going 'round lately and so much of it has that Deus Ex-esque tone to it.

Bob Page: Your appointment with FEMA should be finalized within the week. I've already discussed the matter with the Senator.

Walton Simons: I take it he was agreeable?

Bob Page: He didn't really have a choice.

Walton Simons: Has he been infected?

Bob Page: Oh yes: Most certainly. When I mentioned we could put him on the priority list for the Ambrosia vaccine, he was so willing it was almost pathetic.

Walton Simons: This plague... the rioting is intensifying to the point where we may not be able to contain it.

Bob Page: Why contain it? Let it spill over into the schools and churches, let the bodies pile up in the streets. In the end, they'll beg us to save them.

Walton Simons: I've received reports of armed attacks on shipments. There's not enough vaccine to go around, and the underclasses are starting to get desperate.

Bob Page: Of course they're desperate. They can smell their death, and the sound they'll make rattling their cage will serve as a warning to the rest.

It's amazing how this game manages to stay relevant.
5 Guests are here.
Where to, dude?
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
665b644abbcb4