665c957b29d34

665c957b2a6f6
1 Guest is here.

Topic: Multiplayer via LAN with Windows Vista? Read 1811 times  

665c957b2aad7
Hi,

I have PCs which are with Windows Vista and XP.
Usually for playing via LAN (with XP-XP) it works fine with just the patch and XP-fix.

But now on Vista and XP, it doesn't work like this.

I found some tutorials how to install SS2 properly on Vista and it works without problems (I also disabled the user account control so I have always admin rights enabled).

But when we try to connect via LAN it doesn't work.

On XP-XP, we could just use the IP like 192.168.0.50 to join, but in Vista, there is always "Join failed".

LAN itself works. Files can be shared, Teamspeak works fine.
Hamachi didn't do the trick (we tried it like written in the tutorial from this board).
Firewall on or off generally didn't help as well.

Is there anything we can do about that matter?

Thanks in advance!!

665c957b2ad0c
It is bizarre somehow....

We found a solution.

Problem is, we are playing using a router.
So the game is showing us the INTERNET IP instead of the LAN IP.

It was no problem on XP-XP by the way and it just worked when the joining players used the LAN IP of the host (despite it was displaying the INTERNET IP).

Now it doesn't work, because the connection is not stable.
Packages are usually sent from host to joined players (or the other way round).
In this case the game gets confused with LAN IP and INTERNET IP.
So some packages are sent from LAN IP to LAN IP, some from INTERNET IP to LAN IP and some from LAN IP to INTERNET IP.

And the last is the problem, as ALL PCs are on the same router and thus have the same INTERNET IP.
There the connection is lost and we get "Join failed".

Then we found some workaround - if you can call it that way...

If we delete the gateway and DNS server (both router IP) from TCP/IP settings, SS2 finally shows the LAN IP (as it cannot connect to the Internet anymore using the router as a gateway).
Then everything works fine.

BUT the question is now: Does anyone know how to fix that kind of problem with SS2 prefering the INTERNET IP over the LAN IP?
I mean, it works now, but it is inconvenient to modify TCP/IP settings everytime.

So, has anyone an idea how to tell SS2 to prefer the LAN IP over the INTERNET IP (without deleting gateway and DNS)?
Or something to store different "profiles" of LAN settings in windows (like one setting with and one without gateway and DNS, so it is at least one click instead of typing the whole IP everytime)?

An answer would be very nice. Thank you.
665c957b2b225
I would have answered earlier but assumed it was a Vista specific problem. It's not as I see now.

So, has anyone an idea how to tell SS2 to prefer the LAN IP over the INTERNET IP (without deleting gateway and DNS)?
3 solutions for this problem can be found in the SS2 Multiplayer Guide specifically under Hamachi Trouble Shooting, but they apply for normal connections as well.
1 Guest is here.
Maybe it's a marketing ploy?
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
665c957b2e5f8