665b393b8319d

665b393b83cdd
1 Guest is here.

665b393b840f9evokelabs

665b393b84160
°review
I owe a big thank you to this community for your continual system shock work. Resources like the System Shock timeline helped me to put together this System Shock presentation.

I'm sure players of this game will appreciate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8p0PCMnEQo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8p0PCMnEQo
« Last Edit: 20. March 2017, 20:53:44 by Moderator »

665b393b846a4unn_atropos

665b393b846fe
Reviewer: Love Life And Anarchy
Title: The Philosophy Of System Shock [Cyberpunk, Megacorporations, Artificial Intelligence]
Duration: 00:23:38
Language: English
Year: 2015
Topics: How do the commond themes of System Shock relate to our world? How accurate are the fictional cyberpunk societies compared to our own society and could a rouge A.I ever bring humanity to its knees?
- characteristics of cyberpunk
- historic example: closest entity to mega corporation in our world: private dutch east India company
- todays examples: banking, telecommunication, automobiles, electronics, pharmaceuticals
- power of companies like googles is result of social consumption not legal obligations
- System Shock 1: corporate oligarchy (limited government controll/obsolet)
- SHODAN and A.I villains compared to actual situation (Blade runner, Isaac Asimov and robotic laws); Shodan's role as a surpreme entity, humans just a puzzle piece in her plans
System Shock 2
- revolt against corporate power: founding of the UNN, bureaucracy ahoj (progress is slowed down)
- the many: combination of Borg (Star Trek) and Zerg (Star Craft)| ability to adapt: merging as solution to problems (totalitarian systems)
Conclusion:
We live in an cyberpunk world in a way, “social misfits” are working towards a better future
Named Modifications: Shown: Rebirth , Tacticool, Doom3 Shotgun etc.

//The video is gone under the old url, so I put it here for now...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj3O1yiZu_A

See the full list of reviews here.

« Last Edit: 19. June 2017, 21:20:05 by unn_atropos »
665b393b84a9f
Great video work, dubious political agenda and misled conclusions about AI. Still very interesting.

You are comparing how democratically elected governments and companies earn wealth and you state that governments make it by "force" while companies make it by voluntary consumerism. You are completely ignoring the fact that A) governments don't have wealth, the money still belongs to the people and is supposed to be spent on their behalf. Whether that always works so well is a different discussion but it's not "their" money in the same way that money belongs to a company. B) As citizens we give up our own power to use force and hand it to the state which has the monopoly on force, because the alternative would be that the stronger and richer people rule arbitrarily over the weak and poor.

The advancement of computer technology doesn't necessitate AI. Just because computers have become faster and cheaper doesn't mean they'll become sentient, since they are still built to fill the same basic purpose of a fast calculation machine. In order to create AI you will need to think more creatively about computers and human intelligence. Mainly an AI will need to have experiences through sensors to learn about the world and what humans expect from AI. It would be more akin to how a child grows up than simply pushing more RAM and CPUs into your calculator. The closest we have in consumer tech is google now or Siri but I'm sure more evolved examples are being worked on as we speak.

While it's not completely understood how human brains work, it isn't the magic "unique in the universe" sparkly unicorn that you make it out to be. For example human memory can be easily manipulated. People can be made to remember experiences they never had. Would you like to know [more]?

Formal complaint: When referencing works of art don't use past tense unless the events described had already happened at the time depicted in the work. This is not the case when you say "The replicants could recall fake memories of a life they didn't have which seemed valid and real to the program [...]"). At the time the film shows this is happening, so use present tense.

665b393b84f32voodoo47

665b393b84f8b
Rebirth, Tacticool, Doom3 Shotgun etc.
[annoying] actually it's arcaniac shotgun. [/annoying]
1 Guest is here.
"Yeah, about the gold ... sorry?"
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
665b393b88809