665c9e1c7564f

665c9e1c762a5
1 Guest is here.

665c9e1c76929
Feel free to beat me about the head with links if I missed a vital part of the FAQ.

So me and someone from Trip's list are trying to get together for an SS2 run. This is my first time attempting SS2 multiplayer so I followed the Multiplayer FAQ as best I could. But this problem still comes up where as soon as I hit the Host or Join->Next buttons the game CTDs. I've got Hamachi installed and opened up as wide as my connection can make it, and the same is true for my co-op partner. But the game doesn't seem to even give me a chance to fail a connection; it just crashes right after trying to host.

Is there a solution to this? I would be most grateful if the SS2 sages could share their experience with this most frustrated MP newbie.

Thanks!

665c9e1c76bebMidniteryu

665c9e1c76c53
I have a Co-op partner with the same problem, and from what they've told me the SP works fine
665c9e1c76e29
Where'd you get that SS2 version? Was it prepatched? Possibly some files are missing/corrupt.

You might try the SS2 Tool's last fix (NoCD fix), in case the executable is corrupt. Unlikely if it runs singleplayer though.

Edit: You could also try re-patching the game with the SS2 Tool. That should add all necessary files for MP.
665c9e1c76f53
Nope, singleplayer runs without so much as a hiccup. Never had any stability issues in the game until now. I'm running the installation that came straight off the CD, with the 2.3 patch pre-set.
665c9e1c7704f
Could some software be stopping SS2 from making a connection? Like a firewall or some security software?
665c9e1c7717d
I doubt it, I deactivated my antivirus guard and haven't had a firewall active in months. (Not the best approach to the internet, but meh, I've gotta have my multiplayer.) Even with those things, would that cause SS2 to crash before even attempting a connection? It seems like it's crashing when it tries to initialize a network protocol, since it happens just as I hit the Host button.
665c9e1c772cd
SS2 definitely starts a connection when you hit Host->Next. And it probably starts listening when you hit Join->Next as well. The protocol is TCP/UDP, I don't think that is a problem.

What's your OS? Have you made sure SS2 uses the Hamachi connection and not the normal internet connection?
665c9e1c77474
I can't actually tell, because it doesn't crash when I hit Host->Next, as I never get to that point. In the selection screen where I can decide to either Host or Join, I click Host, and the game crashes. I don't get a chance to see if it's using any IP whatsoever. I have, however, tried the internet-disable workaround to see if it had any effect. No change. Though I am able to get into the Join screen where I can input an IP and player name, but I can't proceed past that.

I've also reinstalled SS2 in the last three hours, hoping that it might have been an issue with the .exe, but to no avail.

Someone suggested that there might be a problem in a .cfg file somewhere. Do you think that might be a snag?
665c9e1c775cf
The few settings in cam.cfg and shock.cfg only refer to the netplay UI.
cam.cfg:
Code: [Select]
netplay_frontpage_default 0shock.cfg:
Code: [Select]
rect_netplay 2,3,4,0,1
rect_netmain 0,1,2,3,4,6,5
netplay_ui
I'm pretty sure this is a connection problem though. Try making Hamachi the top priority connection as explained in the MP guide. Also just to be sure, have you tried re-patching the game?
665c9e1c7770d
I have patched, yes, using SS2 Tool.

I suppose the only option I have left is fiddling with my router's firewall, because every other method has been tried and has failed. Oh well, as soon as TTLG is back up I'll go fishing for similar threads.

Thanks anyway.
665c9e1c7787c
Hamachi's purpose is to get around your router. And even if it didn't it's unlikely to crash the game.

665c9e1c7793aMachtiSonni

665c9e1c7798c
Trance, did you get a solution? My friend has EXACTLY the same problem and we haven't found a solution yet...

665c9e1c77b72Krusbert

665c9e1c77bcb
I have exactly the same issue, although the game doesn't CTD, it simply freezes and has to be terminated with the task manager. My post from ttlg:

"A friend and I are trying to get multiplayer working with SS2. The problem is this - Every time he clicks either "Host game" or "Next" while in the "Join game" submenu the game freezes. The game works flawlessly in single player. He can still alt+tab out of the game efter the freeze and terminate it with the task manager, which flags SS2 as "not responding".

We have tried waiting for about 15 minutes during the freeze but nothing happens at all. Fresh install, original CD patched with multiplayer patch and ddfix. No mods at all. He uses WinXP SP2 and has an AMD dual core system. Doesn't matter whether or not hamachi is enabled, same symptoms.

Any ideas? AFAIK it's normal for the game to freeze for like 5 seconds, and then you join the game/create the game, or at least get some kind of failure message. But on his computer nothing seems to happen at all. There is no difference whether or not there is an actual game server up when he tries to join. He simply gets the message that the game is trying to connect and then a total freeze."
« Last Edit: 04. June 2008, 16:52:26 by Kolya »
665c9e1c77d93
Hi there,

im having exactly the same problem. im also using the hotu-version (with ddfix).
single player works smoothly all the way, but it crashes at the same points desribed above.

regarding the last post is 2 months old, is there any solution for this issue yet?

please let me know.
665c9e1c77ee3
Try the directplay 8 multiplayer wrapper.
« Last Edit: 04. October 2008, 00:08:05 by Kolya »
665c9e1c7806f
doesnt work somehow.

the wrapper itself doesnt containt the ddfix as far as i can see. thus i get error if i want to start ss2.

now i manually tweaked the exe with an hex-editor, wasnt that hard. the singleplayer works fine again, but i still have the same issues regarding multiplayer.

one of my mates seems to be able to host, i will try to obtain his files and see where differences are (also in network configuration and such). i will post again if i find anything, but im not that optimistic tbh.
1 Guest is here.
voodoo47: typically, rainbow puke is vomited by unicorns.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
665c9e1c7920c