666d07d3a0c8c

666d07d3a1236
1 Guest is here.

Topic: SSR Collectors Edition Read 3568 times  

666d07d3a19acXKILLJOY98

« Last Edit: 29. June 2016, 22:04:09 by Kolya »
Re: System Shock (Reboot) Collectors Edition
666d07d3a1c58
OK? This is just a picture taken from the polygon article. What does this tell us we didn't know from the source or is this a pre-emptive 'discuss the collector's edition when we get news in a couple hours' thing?

666d07d3a1f40XKILLJOY98

666d07d3a1f98
OK? This is just a picture taken from the polygon article. What does this tell us we didn't know from the source or is this a pre-emptive 'discuss the collector's edition when we get news in a couple hours' thing?

There is already one for the computer, it makes sense for there to be one of this too.

https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=8764.0
666d07d3a2133
I like the logo on the handbook without the outline. It's a nice modern reduction while keeping it recognisable. Somewhat inconsistent with the badge and sticker, but yeah.
Acknowledged by: Hikari
666d07d3a227b
Maybe that one would look good on the laptop too - instead of the one with the circuitry.
« Last Edit: 28. June 2016, 19:25:36 by fox »
Acknowledged by: Hikari

666d07d3a242eSchuler

666d07d3a247d
Kickstarter link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock

The picture is of the Big Box reward:

Select this reward
Pledge $150 or more

CYBORG ENFORCER

+ Big Box Collector’s Edition:
→ Soundtrack
→ Tri-Optimum Handbook
→ Tri-Optimum Crew Patch
→ Tri-Optimum Crew Pin
→ Repair-Bot Figurine
→ Steel DVD Case
+ Cyborg Enforcer Forum Badge
+ Cyborg Enforcer Credit In The Game
+ Exclusive Access to Developer Forums

You will also Receive:
+ Digital Collector’s Edition
+ Exclusive Access to Closed Beta
+ Digital Copies of:
→ System Shock Enhanced (2015)
→ System Shock 2 (1999)
666d07d3a2582
Kinda bummed you have to spend this much to get into the closed beta. However I guess i understand? They'd otherwise end up flooded with people?

I dunno.

I like the handbook, but can't chip in enough to get the physical copy. Oh well.

666d07d3a269fSynaesthesia

• Company: Night Dive Studios
666d07d3a26eb
You don't have to spend that much. $75 gets you into the private beta.

666d07d3a2780Schuler

666d07d3a27da
Yes, the $150 was to include the physical box pictured - I was clarifying what was in it.
Acknowledged by: Synaesthesia

666d07d3a28ceZylonBane

666d07d3a2919
Of all the enemies they could have chosen to make a figurine of, they go with the generic-looking Repair-Bot? Ugh.
Acknowledged by 2 members: Marvin, Hikari

666d07d3a2c6bSchuler

666d07d3a2cce
Of all the enemies they could have chosen to make a figurine of, they go with the generic-looking Repair-Bot? Ugh.
And it probably means they won't change the enemy design, since I think it's...strange. Why does a maintenance and repair bot need to look like a scorpion? What purpose does that serve? Apparently, to make it easy to mould for manufacture. Would have loved a Cortex Reaver model.

666d07d3a3056Learonys

666d07d3a30a6

My guess is they didn't have any of the cooler looking models finished yet, so they went with the affordable looking Repair-bot for now. Looks decent enough for me.

And it probably means they won't change the enemy design, since I think it's...strange. Why does a maintenance and repair bot need to look like a scorpion? What purpose does that serve? Apparently, to make it easy to mould for manufacture. Would have loved a Cortex Reaver model.

The toughness of two pincers at the front to hold and drag items, the flexibility of a tail at the back to weld(?) items. Sounds like a working combo to me!
As for the maintenance bot? Ehh, I dunno. :P
« Last Edit: 28. June 2016, 21:07:11 by Learonys »

666d07d3a318eSynaesthesia

666d07d3a31db
http://shodan.wikia.com/wiki/Repair-Bot

It's designed the way it is because it's easier for it to get into tight spaces. Think metallic space roaches.
666d07d3a32c4
What about the blue sack? Does it carry screws and nuts around in that?

666d07d3a3562Schuler

666d07d3a35b4
http://shodan.wikia.com/wiki/Repair-Bot

It's designed the way it is because it's easier for it to get into tight spaces. Think metallic space roaches.

I know, and there's probably reason for it to resemble a scorpion, with two manipulators at the front and a charging port "tail" for example. It's weird that it's so obviously designed to look like a scorpion, the animal, instead of like a robot that happens to look like one. Like those weird robo-spiders in DX that never seem to do any repairing, or have the tools for it for that matter.

666d07d3a36c0voodoo47

666d07d3a371f
it also feels almost organic, lets hope they will make it more mechanical.
666d07d3a3a1d
There could be several reasons why it looks like a scorpion.
First of all, 6 legged robots are the easiest to make.
As it has to carry around materials, some extra box needs to be added, so yeah, that's what the blue sack is for.
Why does it resemble a scorpion? Designers like to base robots of animals, bugs and anything living. Just take a look at what we have today.
666d07d3a3dfd
Like those weird robo-spiders in DX that never seem to do any repairing, or have the tools for it for that matter.

The light spider bot is probably used primarily for hunting vermin in sewers and basements.

The Chiang Arcbot Model 2 was only recently introduced, a radical departure from Chiang's usually conservative line of industrial bots. Constructed on an arachnid frame, the Model 2 can adeptly maneuver in environments that would be difficult for other repair bots to access. With the addition of a comprehensive array of repair tools, it becomes ideally suited for damage control and building maintenance. But the truly inspired touch by the normally staid Chiang engineers was the ability for the Arcbot to utilize it's bioelectric discharge capacitor as a non-lethal weapon, allowing it to protect itself from potential vandals and perform double-duty patrolling otherwise unsecured portions of infrastructure. However, the Arcbot's big brother, the Model 5, is almost exclusively used for riot control...
Acknowledged by 2 members: Hikari, Schuler

666d07d3a3eddSchuler

666d07d3a3f2f
Yes, Fox, I know that in the fluff it's used for repairs and maintenance. But in the game, you don't see it using tools or repairing anything - it's just mentioned by a worker in the cargo ship level.
666d07d3a4050
What I meant to communicate is that they were also used for security and vermin hunting, which is what you see them do and they do this job convincingly. But yeah, not so sure about their repairing capability...

666d07d3a4116Synaesthesia

666d07d3a416e
You're being really critical of a minor aspect of a design. Why focus on the insectoid shape instead of a thousand other things that make "no sense" in comparison? What's so unique and special about the insectoid chassis that's worth nitpicking over the random blinky lights on the wall panels that exist in SS1 and SS?

666d07d3a4414Schuler

666d07d3a4467
You're being really critical of a minor aspect of a design. Why focus on the insectoid shape instead of a thousand other things that make "no sense" in comparison? What's so unique and special about the insectoid chassis that's worth nitpicking over the random blinky lights on the wall panels that exist in SS1 and SS?

Well, firstly, I consider enemy design and immersion pretty important in enjoying a game. Second, I made a topic on the demo specifically where I list my pros and cons overall. I brought up my concerns with the repair bot here because Zylon mentioned it and others responded.

(And third, scorpions are arachnids :p)
« Last Edit: 30. June 2016, 10:14:32 by Schuler »
1 Guest is here.
You are a true asset to the company you work for.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
666d07d3a455f