665af6a0ca629

665af6a0caf79
1 Guest is here.

Topic: SSR: Post Kickstarter Funding Discussion Read 3925 times  

665af6a0cbb26
Given my personal finances are more than a mess, and I'm finally having to conceed that I won't be funding, especially at the level I want to, I'd emailed nightdive on the possibility of post-kickstarter funding/preorder.

This is what I got back:

Quote by NightDive Studios:
We're working on alternatives for post Kickstarter funding. Just keep your eye out on the website and the Kickstarter page, and thank you for your support!

So, this introduces the chance people, like myself, who missed the kickstarter for whatever reason, can still chip in on some capacity. Given the reveal of stretch goals such as mod support, and shock1's source code, I hope they take this post kickstarter revenue into account.

665af6a0cbcb1ZylonBane

665af6a0cbd05
I refuse to acknowledge the legitimacy of this thread until we have actually entered the post-Kickstarter era.
665af6a0cbe82
There's been quite a bit of chatter from them about PayPal support (as people who can only use PayPal still haven't been able to pledge) as well as what BackerKit will offer.  They've said nothing for sure, but I really hope that's the case, as some of those later stretch goals are really friggin' cool.  I'll be happy with anything above $1.4M, but I'd really love things like the remix, graphic novel, and VR to happen, so pretty much right up to the limit. 

665af6a0cbff3icemann

665af6a0cc044
Judging off past Kickstarters I've backed. Don't be expecting many further stretch goals to be met afterward.

At best 1-2 goals are met.

Hell, from all the Kickstarters I've backed only 3 (out of something like 20) of them knocked off further stretch goals. Underworld Ascendent knocked off 1, Satelite Reign 1 and Torment knocked off 1 or 2.
665af6a0cc137
Understood...well, then lets hope we can get some more out of the way before the end of the campaign!
665af6a0cc220
Do you guys know, SS3 will run another kickstarter campaign or not?

665af6a0cc2c0icemann

665af6a0cc316
That goes without question I would think.
665af6a0cc411
But only after they finish that Underworld game?

I mean I'm not sure whether I bid something to the SSR today, or save money and donate a much higher amount to SS3 in which I'm superinterested.
Acknowledged by: Gawain

665af6a0cc731Zanderat

665af6a0cc78f
But only after they finish that Underworld game?

I mean I'm not sure whether I bid something to the SSR today, or save money and donate a much higher amount to SS3 in which I'm superinterested.
The two aren't related.  SS3 KS is still a ways off.
665af6a0cc89a
I mean I can bid either a bit here and a bit there, or a lot for one game only.

Okay, i'll bid a bit for ssr tomorrow.
665af6a0cca28
SS3 is still largely an unknown.  We know it's happening and in pre-production, but that's it.  I think it's a safe bet it'll be a KickStarter, but it's hard to predict how soon or far off it'll be.  On the other hand, we know this is happening now.  So if I were you, I'd probably back this now with an eye to also backing that later, but that's just me.  Personally, I've backed this one rather high because I really want to bring this universe to people I know who haven't ever played a Shock game and I know exactly what to expect from the story and basic gameplay.  I'll likely also back SS3, but how much will be determined a lot by what they have to show and the ideas they reveal.  Very excited tho - who woulda thunk (bad grammar intentional lol) years ago we'd have not one, but TWO commercial System Shock projects in the works.  ^.^ 
Acknowledged by 2 members: Hikari, CaveManta
665af6a0ccb47
Lately I don't feel too good about kickstarters, but let's make a deal to honor tradition. When the boxed version is released, I will drive my vespa to the newspaper stand and buy a paper magazine with the full walkthrough.
[MN9.jpg expired]

665af6a0cccd9voodoo47

665af6a0ccd27
confirmed via the twitch stream - updated SS1 source remains at 2m, if not reached via post ks funding, the code will be released as-is.
Acknowledged by 2 members: Nameless Voice, CaveManta

665af6a0cd000RocketMan

665af6a0cd058
Good.  That's a reward in and of itself.  Yay for not reaching 2M and getting adulterated code!
Acknowledged by: icemann
665af6a0cd265
Bring out the source port that ports over the 3d assets from the unity port.

665af6a0cd330ZylonBane

665af6a0cd38e
That doesn't even make sense.
Acknowledged by 3 members: Nameless Voice, icemann, Zanderat
665af6a0cd4c9
What, bringing over the 3d assets for the in progress unity port of the original game (the arguments over what the med patch looks like, and all) to the inevitable source port with enhanced lighting and other options doesn't make sense to you?

665af6a0cd581voodoo47

665af6a0cd5cf
enough of enhanced stuff is brewing at the moment. what we need is all the spritey goodness running natively and with accurate z-buffer.
665af6a0cdad2
Who would pick up that torch and why? If you're going for the perfect vanilla version apporach, you'd never implement new 3D models, and Citadel already got the "close to vanilla but with a million times better engine" angle covered.
The source code could be used to make SS Enhanced even better, but I'm fairly sure that Malba already had access to it during development.
It's great to have the code as a sort of historical document and Josiah will be very happy to be able to port over all the little details (difficulty changes, timings, weapon behaviour) that were hard to determine before but that's about it.

665af6a0cdd32icemann

665af6a0cdd82

That's not what a source port is. I'd recommend doing some research.
665af6a0ce180
That's not what a source port is. I'd recommend doing some research.
I don't know any source port which doesn't add at least a few features, and texture/object replacement is one of the most common abilities.
« Last Edit: 29. July 2016, 11:49:41 by Marvin »
Acknowledged by: Hikari

665af6a0ce273icemann

665af6a0ce2d6
Correct. That wasn't your wording in your earlier post, but that is most certainly one of the things that comes with the source ports. Or to be more specific, they allow for the replacement of textures via new ones. Same goes for sounds, music, sprites etc etc.

I'd kinda like to be angle to choose the sound style to use with music. Like you had sound blaster, gravis ultrasound etc etc. Be nice to hear the different styles on the fly. All depends on who it is that comes along to do a source port.
1 Guest is here.
So I'm taking my work underground. I can't let it fall into the wrong hands again.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
665af6a0d158a