6647dc3d2d058

6647dc3d2db04
2 Guests are here.

Topic: GMDX: Deus Ex Mod.
Page: « 1 ... 60 [61] 62 »
Read 163780 times  

6647dc3d2e478
Might have something to do with the current real world-situation. Lot's of large scale conspiracy theories going 'round lately and so much of it has that Deus Ex-esque tone to it.

It's amazing how this game manages to stay relevant.

"Old men... Are the future!"  :D
6647dc3d2e5f4
I don't know about that though... Old people better watch out these days. ;)

6647dc3d2e7ecvoodoo47

6647dc3d2e83c
anyway;

- jump back to the UNATCO HQ, the sinks use a grate texture for their bottom, U/V offsets all over the place.

the Helibase;

- the texture of some dirt coming out of the sewer pipe is just ugly.
- the Sniper guy (and his other friend on the roof) very low alertness, pretty much don't care what's going on at the lower levels.
- lots of items need flooring, logon terminals and phones included, also need to be repositioned to not overlap from the tables, as that reveals they have no bottom textures.
- one machinery thing in the control room has its front texture flipped and stretched.
- radar terminals as well, keypad texture flipped 180 degrees horizontally.
- the secret area in the billiard room cannot be opened with the crowbar (despite the shelf looking like wood), but a ps20 does the trick. not sure whether I like/dislike this (generally, if it's destroyable, and made of wood, crowbar should probably break it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfmuHxAZzmM
[bad_dirt.jpg expired]
[machine_invert.jpg expired]
[radar_flipped_180degrees_is_also_radar.jpg expired]
6647dc3d2ec44
Might have something to do with the current real world-situation. Lot's of large scale conspiracy theories going 'round lately and so much of it has that Deus Ex-esque tone to it.

It's amazing how this game manages to stay relevant.

There are tons of evidence that Corona spreads through the power of ignorance and incompetence. The only part conspiracy theories play in this, is to help further that ignorance.
6647dc3d2ef69
There are tons of evidence that Corona spreads through the power of ignorance and incompetence. The only part conspiracy theories play in this, is to help further that ignorance.

I'm not a total stranger to conspiracy theories in general but even I am shocked to see how many intelligent people around me are freely believing and spewing around dangerous bullshit theories at the moment. Problem is that there really are so many fake news being spread through all available media channels that people start to doubt everything and only believe what they are seeing with their own eyes. I feel that it's still possible to sort out the crap successfully most of the times and get a feel for it but it's becoming increasingly difficult and tiresome.

Certainly an interesting and important topic but maybe better suited for another thread.
Acknowledged by: Kolya

6647dc3d2f08bvoodoo47

6647dc3d2f0e0
well, a nanomechanical plague developed by an Illuminati splinter group to enslave the world sounds much cooler than lack of hygiene virus of badly fried male performance enhancing batwing strips killing whoever left and right without a purpose because people were stupid.

I'll snip the off topic parts out, most likely - I'm kind of enjoying nobody going nuts about the pandemic over here.

6647dc3d2f4a9RoSoDude

6647dc3d2f504
As before, I have no plans to fundamentally overhaul the door damage threshold system. I will consider further numerical changes (such as adjustments to individual doors, or the crowbar's bonus damage to doors and crates), but not to the point that the crowbar can break all wooden doors with no investment. Door busting is already extremely viable as an alternative to lockpicking with melee skills/augs, and explosions are balanced as a last resort. In exploratory sections of the game, no amount of noise generation will adequately balance it (and even in hostile territory, it doesn't matter after a player has cleared out a zone). I do agree that the door breaking sound alert needs a lot of retuning -- on a similar topic, you can LAM doors in civilian areas and attract no attention, while lockpicking within LOS of a cop will aggro them immediately, which is very unintuitive. I've also previously suggested that doorbusting with bullets should instead simulate blasting off the lock instead of destroying the door, but I've not yet looked into whether it's feasible to make this look any good with movers on a specified path.

Automatic augs were removed for some specific reasons (the override canister was OP and too unique of an item, I don't like power drain that can't be opted out, and fully passive aqualung is a better value proposition than active when compared with enviro resistance). However, I am considering reimplementing them with a nerfed override canister that appears in a few more places and more augs that can be super-upgraded to an automatic state (e.g. Aggressive Defense System, Targeting), and allowing the automatic activation to be toggled as well.

Appreciate all of the level detail reports. I haven't spent much time looking over those things, outside of my own playtesting where I mostly focus on gameplay stuff.

6647dc3d2f65dvoodoo47

6647dc3d2f6bd
sure.

yeah, aware of the stealthy lams and noisy lockpics (this was painfully obvious in the MJ12 Hong Kong facility last time I've played, where you could blow stuff up no problem, but just touch something with a lockpick for half a second and you are done, no matter whether the AIs have line of sight or not).

automatic augs were pretty much the reason I got out of vanilla, would much recommend not getting rid of them. making them into some special upgrades (was this a thing at some point?) sounds like too much - sometimes less is more. not sure about what you mean with that unable to opt out part (maybe some GMDX version I've skipped?), iirc, you could deactivate an auto-aug by simply deactivating it. activating would make it go into an idle mode, which would go fully active whenever required, which is exactly what you want for things like power recirculator or bullet protection.

I'm thinking GMDX augs are maybe starting to reach the point where everything needs to be wiped clean from the table, rethought from scratch, and reimplemented again (did the same thing with SCP grenades, we have reached a point where a hard reset was required).

6647dc3d2f8e0RoSoDude

6647dc3d2f930
Environmental Resistance and Aqualung were only automatic in v9 if you used the Augmentation Override Canister on them, but that item has been removed and Aqualung reworked to be fully passive. Power Recirculator and Synthetic Heart used to be automatic as well, but now they simply work passively at all times (basically the same effect, but with no activation delay and simpler behavior for Synthetic Heart). Power Recirculator just decreases energy cost for all augs the more you upgrade it, and Synthetic Heart offers +1 to all present and future augs, but permanently increases energy drain (the degree of which decreases as you upgrade it). This is streamlining that doesn't take away any functionality from v9. It seems like you might be thinking of Biomod?

The only relevant candidates for automatic activation would be Environmental Resistance (turn on when encountering toxic/radiation damage), Aggressive Defense System (turn on when explosives are in range), and Targeting (turn on when the crosshair is over an enemy for a duration). This would be a strong buff to each, so would be best as an optional upgrade. Everything else is working nicely as a standard active aug (Speed Enhancement/Run Silent, Cloak/Radar Transparency, Ballistic Protection 1, Combat Strength, Vision Enhancement, Spy Drone, Regeneration) or fully passive aug (Ballistic Protection 2, Microfibral Muscle, Combat Speed, Ammo Capacity, Aqualung, Power Recirculator/Synthetic Heart). Nothing else would gain from being automatic, nor would it make much sense.

Also, curious if you've played with inventory rotation at all. I've only had one bug report with it that I've since added a failsafe against, but it's always good to have more eyes on it considering how complex it was to implement.

6647dc3d2f9dbvoodoo47

6647dc3d2fa28
will check it out.

ok, will let you know what I think once I have more augs and see how it all meshes together.

6647dc3d2fb4aZylonBane

6647dc3d2fb9c
Couple of questions:

Does this fix the game sometimes refusing to drop inventory items if you're looking down instead of straight ahead?

Do you still have to manually holster whatever weapon you have equipped before picking up crates?

6647dc3d2fc64voodoo47

6647dc3d2fcae
no idea about that inventory drop, but yeah, no more manual holstering when picking stuff up, you rightclick the crate and the weapon will auto holster, as soon as that's done, you can pick the crate up. also no unintentional holstering, as you now have to do a quick doublerightclick to holster manually. both improved behaviors can be turned off in the options to get back to vanilla, I believe.

6647dc3d2fd51ZylonBane

6647dc3d2fd9a
I suppose if I'm going to keep asking questions, like does it fix the floor by the stairs in the Statue of Liberty lobby sounding like grass, I should just install it myself.

6647dc3d2fed7RoSoDude

6647dc3d2ff2d
There are less restrictions about dropping items (including physics props), yes. Pretty much at the limit that's possible so they don't phase through the world. voodoo remembers the holstering options correctly -- your weapon is reholstered when you drop the physics prop as well.

I don't remember any grass sounds on the floor in any of my test runs of Liberty Island, so I'll assume it's fixed (there have been retexturing and map rebuild passes).

6647dc3d2ffebvoodoo47

6647dc3d30045
I did notice quite a few incorrectly sounding surfaces when whacking on stuff with the crowbar - mostly door frames. will throw a few examples in soon.

6647dc3d30101voodoo47

6647dc3d3014c
before I forget - some older GMDX version allowed the player to grab keys and junk items off unaware AIs when frobbed, wouldn't mind seeing that return in some form ("Thief" perk under Stealth? or go all the way with "Garrett").
6647dc3d302c0
Hey you, sneak thief, no pickpocketing for you

It's never been a feature of GMDX.

6647dc3d30378voodoo47

6647dc3d303c2
ah, must have been something even older then, Biomod or Shifter.

but at least I'm consistent about things I b!tch about. wonder whether all that stuff I reported back then got fixed, but having to go through all the posts again just to verify..
6647dc3d30792
ah, must have been something even older then, Biomod or Shifter.

but at least I'm consistent about things I b!tch about. wonder whether all that stuff I reported back then got fixed, but having to go through all the posts again just to verify..

Heh. A lot was fixed thanks to your feedback. However no DX doors were harmed despite your insistence to make them real boys.

6647dc3d308b9voodoo47

6647dc3d30914
no such thing as perfection in this world.

those batonable doors/planks in the warehouse area (and anyplace else, for that matter) really should go though.
« Last Edit: 19. April 2020, 10:13:04 by voodoo47 »
6647dc3d30c3a
I suppose if I'm going to keep asking questions, like does it fix the floor by the stairs in the Statue of Liberty lobby sounding like grass, I should just install it myself.

About time.

Check the website for a memory refresher of major features: http://gmdxmod.com/features/artificial-intelligence/

6647dc3d30ebfvoodoo47

6647dc3d30f0e
- bot goes boom boom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb_8T8sVgmo

- the light should be obstructed by the chopper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNpaAxQPeqg

- with the exception of the screen, everything sounds metal. the screen sounds.. rubbery?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oSTOMwojyg

- it seems impossible to blow this grate up by throwing a lam onto the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5W7ADDh8S0

- attaching a lam works though, but that leftover smoke jet hanging in the air doesn't look great. also, this is my last lam, but the animation still pops a next one into the hand for a second even though it doesn't exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkTXvj1N6aQ

- bit of texture cleanup required on some of the large shipping containers (probably more than those two).
- the wooden beam texture seems rotated on the sides for no reason.
- a bit of texture cutoff going on in the plane.
- a lot of flipped displays. I suspect more of these are scattered around most levels, as the vanilla texture was too lowres to matter.
- still very hard to save Lebedev (even if he survives the initial shots, the final Anna-plosion gets him almost all the time). no idea what could be done, apart from giving him more health. or maybe making him immune to the mech auto-destruct damage.
- Navarre actually starts running if damaged enough. slightly odd, fighting to death would make much more sense.
- armor kind of inconsistent, the bot can repair it, but it can be charged by biocells as well. so, is it a power armor, or just a regular armor?

- I think I liked the old setup of the passive ballistic protection better.
- aug upgrade canisters seem really rare, just two so far. not quite sure about vanilla, but I think I had more at this point (Airfield completed).
- very sure I had a silencer at this point in some of my older playtroughs. are silencers still a thing?
[containertextop.jpg expired]
[containertexside.jpg expired]
[beamtex.jpg expired]
[planetex.jpg expired]
[displayflip.jpg expired]
« Last Edit: 21. April 2020, 22:41:34 by voodoo47 »

6647dc3d310c5voodoo47

6647dc3d31116
edited the previous post a few times.

anyway, last friendly visit to the UNATCO HQ;

what's going on here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRZ_v9IkJp4

more surface whacking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKbqPzHf024

- plot armor on a few doors (Jacobson's closet, closet near Manderley's). is it really necessary?
- lowres texture on the noticeboard in the kitchen.
- Simons just stands in the middle of the room after finishing his route. maybe make him sit, or assume any other less NPC position.

also, noticed that FSAA was not enabled. after digging around the ini (setting not available in the launcher), I've found out it actually is enabled, but doesn't work - seems like my gpu can only do 8x, and the default is 16. maybe lower the default value to 8 to make sure older/value gpus have no issues.

[stare.jpg expired]
[hardwood.jpg expired]
[lowres.jpg expired]
[hard_tin.jpg expired]

6647dc3d312ecvoodoo47

6647dc3d3133e
ok, the Warehouse mission, first part:

- the sky very lowres, looks quite 16bity.
- mailbox object hud selectable for no reason.
- the turret in the flooded part of the mj12 tunnels doesn't seem to work. intentional?
- pretty sure it was possible to give Renton a wider range of weapons last time I've played GMDX. would like to avoid giving him an upgraded pistol, but he can have my knife any day. if you don't want to expand this, an easy way out would be just making Renton give the gun back to the player after talking to him when the entire Jojo deal is over.
- Sandra comments about Jojo being shot by Renton, even when no actual shooting took place (the player zapping him as soon as he turns hostile, for example).
- saving and loading during Jojo's walk to the Rentons will result in him stopping and starting to talk sooner than he is supposed to.
- can't seem to be able to close the door to Paul's apartment once it's open.
- the extra storage unit where the gep gun was on the previous iteration of the map now inaccessible/keypadless for no good reason.
- bot at Smuggler's now friendly. maybe tie his friendliness/unfriendliness to the player giving/not giving the password (on all maps). would make a lot of sense (Smuggler deactivating the bot when sure a customer is coming).

- the right part of the secret closet door became invisible after fully opening (and appeared again when closing), but unable to replicate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8m09othV2k

- any chance this could be fixed somehow?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCDI4ePzywU
« Last Edit: 01. May 2020, 21:27:41 by voodoo47 »
2 Guests are here.
Sir are you aware you are a cat?
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6647dc3d3143b