665b1de8a5287

Page: [1] 2 »
665b1de8a5fc8
1 Guest is here.

Topic: SSR Music Read 4713 times  

665b1de8a6a69
Personally I dislike the citadel theme; Seems far too bioshock-esque and why the melancholy violins? This is Triop's mining base hoovering up moonlettes, planetoids, asteroids, and so forth alongside using those materials in research. Why the sad strings as its anthem? I could see more of a 'distorted corporate anthem' as citadel's theme first distorted by Diego's subversion of the system for his own gain, and then by SHODAN as she plays mad scientist.

Orchestra, however, has its place in cyberpunk, along with other naturalistic elements. Look at Akira, Blade Runner, and others. Sure it's techno heavy or techno distorted, but there is that naturalistic origin point everything is built off of.
« Last Edit: 29. June 2016, 22:02:54 by Kolya »

665b1de8a6bfbDKDArtagnan

665b1de8a6c4d
I thought the original SS soundtrack was mostly awful - and I think this kind of melancholy orchestral soundtrack is a bit too cliché.

Nah, give me a nice ambient soundtrack which changes according to what's going on.

That would be my prefence, I think.

665b1de8a6d94icemann

665b1de8a6de6
I quite like the medical, reactor and cyberspace tracks in the original.

What I have heard of the Reboot's tracks sounds more like Dead Space. Has that ominous, something hiding around the corner type of sound to it.
665b1de8a6f46
The start of the orchestral tune was Alien-like, but when sad violins came up it became to sound bad, even diving into cacophony in some places.
My vote to scrap orchestral music entirely and leave just ambient/d'n'b/techno
and muzak of course
Acknowledged by 3 members: ThiefsieFool, icemann, Join usss!
665b1de8a70d9
Well, as for "stop goals" you mentioned in another thread, the 1.7 mil goal overrides the orchestrated 1.5 mil goal by providing an optional remixed SS1 soundtrack, even if it is generic-sounding neurofunk I'd happily take that instead.
I'm glad everyone is sick of the classical at this point, though I think the poor implementation of it in AAA games has ruined it as a meaningful audio device for everyone.

665b1de8a71b0icemann

665b1de8a7201
If they just put in the remixed stuff by Chicago as an optional choice in the options screen, I'm sure many would be happy about that :). Those are some damn fine remixes.

Nothing to stop us switching off the in-game music and playing that externally of course.
Acknowledged by: Hikari
665b1de8a72e8
Does beg to wonder if they contacted Chicajo about his remix work or not.
665b1de8a740e
Btw, did you know the elevator muzak remix is in SSR's demo source files? Have a listen:

http://www.valet2.com/sounds/ssr-muzak.wav
Acknowledged by 4 members: unn_atropos, Hikari, lgs, Learonys
665b1de8a74f2
OK... that they have to keep in. Guys. Leave this in.... it's...

Why am I smiling?

665b1de8a783dunn_atropos

665b1de8a788e
See, if the old music was in the demo in remixed form even the oldest grumps would be less grumpy.
I do not understand, and maybe someone can explain it to me, why they are investing a lot of money into new written music and orchestral recordings without considering the old music at all?
You can't do System Shock without the old music as an integral part. If you do; why keep the architecture, the story, the gameplay (oh wait)?
You may as well call your game Bio_Space (games need underscores today apparently)
Acknowledged by 2 members: ThiefsieFool, icemann

665b1de8a7d8eThiefsieFool

665b1de8a7dfb
If they just put in the remixed stuff by Chicago as an optional choice in the options screen, I'm sure many would be happy about that :). Those are some damn fine remixes.

Nothing to stop us switching off the in-game music and playing that externally of course.

There's no doubt that Chicajo's remixes are great and many are game-worthy, but the newer line of remixes he was working on before he dissappeared again was on another level, a Shock remaster with remixes like this would be amazing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgQrQ8JXzHg

665b1de8a7ef0Learonys

665b1de8a7f46
I have to disagree on Chicajo's music. Yes, i'm biased(!), but Chicajo included way too much funk in almost every one of his projects, and puts them into games where they just do not work at all.

665b1de8a8295Tachikoma

665b1de8a82f0
I do not understand, and maybe someone can explain it to me, why they are investing a lot of money into new written music and orchestral recordings without considering the old music at all?
You can't do System Shock without the old music as an integral part. If you do; why keep the architecture, the story, the gameplay (oh wait)?
You may as well call your game Bio_Space (games need underscores today apparently)
But generic uninspired orchestra music is so original, immersive and atmospheric!!! How can't you understand it!! It doesn't even matter if it fits System Shock! It's not like it was a big deal when EA made orchestra music in CnC modern games, no one cared about Frank Klepacki's music, right?

Seriously though, they really should just stick to the original music if they can't come up with something better. Even that track in the trailer was quite generic and had no SS feel.

I'm really surprised that Brosius isn't working on the music instead, he definitely would make better OST.

665b1de8a841bicemann

665b1de8a8473
If that's Terri your speaking of, that's a she (aka SHODAN). Also formerly of the band Tribe.

Reading from the Kickstarter here, but it says it's being composed by a "Jonathan Peros".

I wonder why they went for a complete change in style with the music. Call me a purist, but what would have been wrong with a remix? Or even orchestrated versions of those tracks. The small amounts of music I did hear in the demo sounded COMPLETELY different. Very different tone.

I've played many remakes/reboots/whatever over the years that went for the remix treatment to great effect.

665b1de8a85aaTachikoma

665b1de8a8604
I obviously meant Eric who actually did the OST for the sequel or Thief games.

They mentioned him here: https://twitter.com/NightdiveStudio/status/664248044972453888

And there is no "purism" about music, it's like saying that only purists wanted Klepacki in modern CnC games. SS is a cyberpunk game after all, not some space opera Hollywood blockbuster or Amnesia clone.
« Last Edit: 01. July 2016, 19:54:58 by Tachikoma »
Acknowledged by: icemann

665b1de8a8788ZylonBane

665b1de8a87d9
You want to hear terrible music, watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPkKrM73SOU

It's fine for about 35 seconds, at which point it goes full oh my god what are you doing song, stahp. Sounds like... I dunno... a Lego helicopter trying to take off.

And yes, I do like techno/electronica/dark ambient/etc music. But only when it's good... which this isn't.

665b1de8a88abTachikoma

665b1de8a8904
Yeah, this is the trailer I was talking about. Don't really want either of this nor orchestra honestly. Hopefully they'll make better OST. But I don't really expect much, especially OST from Brosius which supposed to be a composer.

I wonder why they changed their mind, is it because they want to reboot the game, not just remake it?
665b1de8a8ae6
I can say something you might not like. These Chicajo's remixes aren't perfect. From the day they were released I hated the use of reverbs on anything, weird eq and filters like flanger. It sounds much like the oversaturated SSR's walls look. Also, it has a very bad mastering. These might be the best remixes from what we have, but it not makes them great by themselves.

So there's no reason to use them as they are. If Chicajo revisited them, polished, then there could be an option... but still - SS1's music is made of parts, layers and transition patterns. The soundtrack is dynamic.
665b1de8a8c23
Even plenty tracks as far back as 1993 shit on your average dose of Nuerofunk

Exhibit A: Intense - Time Space Continuem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fk-K-OtJZc
Acknowledged by: ThiefsieFool
665b1de8a8e86
I do wonder if they will give you the option of several soundtrack versions? Maybe a short list of 'go-to' type of selections, or customization?

That last one is probably going to be weirdly problematic, in case you need to create a playlist and maybe link it to certain events, like the original games?

And I think the track Join usss! posted would fit into System Shock pretty well; maybe cut it into two shorter track for different events, even. Though I kinda like the track used in the trailer ZylonBane posted. While it does get a bit repetitive, from my short exposure to the original OST during the game, that's pretty par for the course.

665b1de8a90e1unn_atropos

665b1de8a9134
A kickstarter update concerning SSR music

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/1621372
We are planning to have many more electronic elements in the score for the final game than we have in the demo. While we feel that porting the original music over would run counter to our vision, we don't intend to lose the Cyberpunk feeling of the game by neglecting to reflect that Cyberpunkness in the music.
[...]
We also have plans to bring back old System Shock music as often as we can while still keeping it in the atmosphere in the station.
[...]
Lastly, I'm very excited to talk about the remix album stretch goal for the project. We have a roster of talented musicians on board to help us remix the original System Shock 1 OST.

The first artist that I would like to reveal that we are working with is none other than Robotkid (Josh Randall) of the original System Shock 2 music team. We know that there are a ton of fans of the System Shock 2 music and of Robotkid's style throughout it.
I have been working with the programming department in the game to try to get this remix album in the game as an alternative or unlockable mode for the game. Nothing confirmed on this yet, as it is a lot of programming work to make it happen, but do know that we are trying to make this work for people who want a more nostalgic experience than a modern one.

The update gives a clearer explanation about what they are trying to do with the music. Could have saved them some trouble a bit earlier.^^
I hope that the intro remix is just a early reference point for a more defined musical style; I'm missing the distinctness that the old soundtrack has.
But I hope that with some more examples we get a clearer picture. Right now it's not winning me over. But that boils down to ones personal taste in music.
The classic music mode should be realized in any case

665b1de8a927f
Robotkid remixing the vanilla soundtrack is where it's at, providing he sticks to the old school drum & bass breaks and hasn't moved forward with the times into mediocrity. Each and every track he did in SS2 is unique, fitting to the events and exceptional. I hope he also remixes a couple of tracks with subtly too, e.g of course on the maintenance deck there should not be any drums, unless they're used to build/maintain tension.

665b1de8a9416Synaesthesia

• Company: Night Dive Studios
665b1de8a946f
>sticks to the old school drum & bass breaks and hasn't moved forward with the times into mediocrity.

This is bordering Le Wrong Generation - just because it's new doesn't mean it's mediocre.
665b1de8a95f7
Get out of here with that shit.

There are always exceptions, in nearly any given context. I do like new music in the genre too. However, just like with games, I perceive things have gone downhill (for music in general, actually): overly-commercialized, lacks depth, and is generic, but there are exceptions, for every single genre, yet it's broad enough of a problem to apply generally.

Also I'm probably from the same generation as you are. in 1993 I was in nappies. Furthermore It's not even generation-specific; 60s, 80s, whatever, they'll always have better mainstream quality than that of today. 

Also consider that this is my opinion, it is reasonably informed, and I have a right to it.
« Last Edit: 07. July 2016, 20:54:07 by Join usss! »
1 Guest is here.
You've reached the last page of the internet. You can turn off your computer now.
Page: [1] 2 »
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
665b1de8a96fd